My Aunt Fanny

Default Feedback requested for Kuhn Rikon 7-Liter Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...069174232/sr=1
> -1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-kitchen/102-3840359-0239315?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=284507

april jones

In article >, My Aunt Fanny says...

>> I have yet to find a good second hand pressure cooker and really want this
>> one ($169!) - anyone know anything discouraging about it?
>>

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...069174232/sr=1
>> -1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-kitchen/102-3840359-0239315?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=284507

I have this pressure cooker and I really like it. I used to keep it in the box
in the trunk of my car and carry between homes as I was to cheap to buy another
one. Finally my husband who thought my trunk was begining to look like garage
sale bought me another one...only it was the 4 qt. risotto cooker. I think the
price of $169. is about the best deal you will be able to find. I would check
with www.cookwareandmore.com as sometimes they have seconds at a very good
price. Also I recommend Barkeepers Friend to clean it.

April

"Wild salmon don't do drugs"
zxcvbob

My Aunt Fanny wrote:
>>I have yet to find a good second hand pressure cooker and really want this
>>one ($169!) - anyone know anything discouraging about it?
>>

> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...qid=1069174232 >

It looks like it would be difficult to maintain an even pressure because it
is not vented. And you better take really good care of the gaskets,
because they might be hard to replace. Wash the gaskets by hand after
every use, and do not oil them.

It doesn't say that it's UL listed.

I like my Mirro pressure cookers, with the jiggle tops that hiss. My wife
hates them because they hiss. They are aluminum, and so I'm kind of
looking for a cheap stainless steel pressure cooker for cooking acid foods,
like crabapples, cranberries, etc. I've never had any problem cooking
meats nor mildly acid foods in the aluminum pressure cookers. My mom has
an old Presto cooker, and it has a different design jiggler that only works
at one pressure (high), but it is a lot quieter than the Mirro 5/10/15 jiggler.

Stainless is a *lot* easier to clean up if you burn something in it (use
lye or oven cleaner or ammonia), but it is easier to burn stuff in it
unless it is very heavy construction.

Best regards,
Bob