Tethyus

Default Hot Sauce Recommendations?

I'm looking for recommendations for a hot but FLAVORFUL habanero hot
sauce. I used to cook with Pepperhead's when I lived in NY, and I
absolutely loved the chipolte/habanero sauce from Piehole Willie but
the shop where I used to get it closed.

What I'm looking for: HEAT (back of the tongue burn), smokey, vinegar
based with that hint of fruit that you get from good habaneros.

Any thoughts?
levelwave

Tethyus wrote:

> I'm looking for recommendations for a hot but FLAVORFUL habanero hot
> sauce. I used to cook with Pepperhead's when I lived in NY, and I
> absolutely loved the chipolte/habanero sauce from Piehole Willie but
> the shop where I used to get it closed.
>
> What I'm looking for: HEAT (back of the tongue burn), smokey, vinegar
> based with that hint of fruit that you get from good habaneros.

Not a Habanero based sauce but still hot, smoky and most importantly
flavorful is the Tabasco Brand Chipotle Sauce...

A good basic hot sauce (better for everyday use than Tabasco IMO) is
Frank's Hot Sauce... as the story goes it's the original sauce used on
Buffalo Wings in Buffalo, NY - yet still not a Habanero sauce...

~john!

....did you guys see Don Vito down that whole bottle of Hot Sauce on Viva
la Bam?

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

HoseHead

can you try just once answering the question that is asked?
the OP didn't ask you what your favorite hot sauce was, he asked specifically
about habanero(sp) hot sauce.
he did not ask about tabasco, chipotle of cayenne, nor did he ask about buffalo
wings
do you have a reading or a comprehension problem????????

Just go back to harassing old black ladies in wheelchairs since you seem to do a
much better job of that than you do answering specific questions on usenet.

go get a real life

have a nice day,

HoseHead

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> Tethyus wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for recommendations for a hot but FLAVORFUL habanero hot
> > sauce. I used to cook with Pepperhead's when I lived in NY, and I
> > absolutely loved the chipolte/habanero sauce from Piehole Willie but
> > the shop where I used to get it closed.
> >
> > What I'm looking for: HEAT (back of the tongue burn), smokey, vinegar
> > based with that hint of fruit that you get from good habaneros.

> Not a Habanero based sauce but still hot, smoky and most importantly
> flavorful is the Tabasco Brand Chipotle Sauce...
>
> A good basic hot sauce (better for everyday use than Tabasco IMO) is
> Frank's Hot Sauce... as the story goes it's the original sauce used on
> Buffalo Wings in Buffalo, NY - yet still not a Habanero sauce...
>
> ~john!
>

> ...did you guys see Don Vito down that whole bottle of Hot Sauce on Viva
> la Bam?
>

> --
> What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
> away...

Stace

"HoseHead" > wrote in message
s.com...
> can you try just once answering the question that is asked?
> the OP didn't ask you what your favorite hot sauce was, he asked

specifically
> about habanero(sp) hot sauce.
> he did not ask about tabasco, chipotle of cayenne, nor did he ask about

buffalo
> wings
> do you have a reading or a comprehension problem????????
>
> Just go back to harassing old black ladies in wheelchairs since you seem

to do a
> much better job of that than you do answering specific questions on

usenet.

> go get a real life
>
> have a nice day,
>
> HoseHead

Who ****ed in *your* Cheerios?
Inner Beauty.
There's a recipe for a homemade version that's every bit as good as the
original commercial version.
Happy now?

Stace

levelwave

HoseHead wrote:

> can you try just once answering the question that is asked?

Can you try posting under your typical usenet handle instead of hiding
behind some fabricated alias?...

coward...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

Sam Salmon

To my taste Marie Sharps is the best made Habanero on the market with
Melinda's a distant second..
I suggest you do a web search-there are dozens of web companies
selling Hot Sauces-you'll find Pepperhead's easily enough and buying a
dozen bottles at a time will bring shipping costs down-pick a company
not too far away.

On 17 Nov 2003 14:14:10 -0800, (Tethyus) wrote:

>I'm looking for recommendations for a hot but FLAVORFUL habanero hot
>sauce. I used to cook with Pepperhead's when I lived in NY, and I
>absolutely loved the chipolte/habanero sauce from Piehole Willie but
>the shop where I used to get it closed.
>
>What I'm looking for: HEAT (back of the tongue burn), smokey, vinegar
>based with that hint of fruit that you get from good habaneros.
>
>Any thoughts?

No Name

I've always liked Melinda's.

"Tethyus" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm looking for recommendations for a hot but FLAVORFUL habanero hot
> sauce. I used to cook with Pepperhead's when I lived in NY, and I
> absolutely loved the chipolte/habanero sauce from Piehole Willie but
> the shop where I used to get it closed.
>
> What I'm looking for: HEAT (back of the tongue burn), smokey, vinegar
> based with that hint of fruit that you get from good habaneros.
>
> Any thoughts?

Julian Vrieslander

Melinda's makes several habanero-based sauces. My fave is their
mango-habanero. Nice balance of sweet fruit and heat.

Many cities, especially in southern and touristy locations, now have
little shops that specialize in hot sauces. Often they have a sampling
bar. If you find one of these joints, it's a great way to explore your
preferences in super-hot sauces.

Also, and forgive me if this is too obvious, don't be afraid to tinker
with a store-bought sauce. If it's not fruity enough, try mixing in
some juice concentrate or preserves. If it's not hot enough, combine it
with a stronger pepper elixir. If it lacks tang, add some lemon juice
or vinegar. For complexity, add some liquid smoke, or cloves, or
allspice (very small additions of any of these).

Or if you want to really run your creative impulses, try making your own
private hot sauce concoction from scratch. That's probably how most of
those commercial products originated.

--
Julian Vrieslander
cc0112453

I was born a hot sauce fanatic. I'm a little amused at the recent interest
in gourmet hot sauces. A hot sauce traditionally was a poor mans treat. I
always check grocery stores when ever I travel for the local hot sauce.
These usually never cost more than a buck and a half a bottle. I have tried
many of the "Gourmet" sauces and have more often than not been disappointed.
Seems the main thing is to be hot. I think the challenge is to be tasty and
hot. Why hit yourself over the head with a hammer if there is no reward.
A good hot sauce is like a slap from a beautiful woman. It huts but you
don't really mind. Two of my favorite inexpensive hot sauces are any of the
Trappie's brand and Crystals, or anything that says Louisiana on it. You
can keep the Tabasco. My absolute all time favorite hot sauce is West
Indies Creole Hot Pepper Sauce, made with harbenero and Scotch bonnet
peppers, My other favorite high end sauce is Ring Of Fire (regular). Both
are worth the $6- $8 price tag. They also come in big bottles (10-12 oz)

Doug

Tethyus

Sam Salmon > wrote in message >. ..
> To my taste Marie Sharps is the best made Habanero on the market with
> Melinda's a distant second..
> I suggest you do a web search-there are dozens of web companies
> selling Hot Sauces-you'll find Pepperhead's easily enough and buying a
> dozen bottles at a time will bring shipping costs down-pick a company
> not too far away.

Thanks for the response, Sam. Never tried Marie Sharps (or seen it,
as I can recall). I'll look for it.

Yeah, there are dozens - if not more - hot sauces out there. I can't
imagine that ALL of them are good, so I was just looking to see what
kind of recommendations might come back. Thanks for the Marie Sharps
tip, I'll give it a try. BTW - are you familiar with Pepperhead's?
Its a small shop out on Long Island, all the dude sells is hot sauces.
The place is unreal, just a hot sauce heaven. Their signature house
sauce is amazing.

And if anyone comes across any place (online or retail store) that
stocks Piehole Willie hot sauces please post it up here or drop me an
email. Its damn good stuff I'd like to find again if its out there.
Thanks in advance.
C. James Strutz

"Sam Salmon" > wrote in message

> To my taste Marie Sharps is the best made Habanero on the market with
> Melinda's a distant second..

I agree with your selections but not with the order. They're both great hot
sauces.

> I suggest you do a web search-there are dozens of web companies
> selling Hot Sauces-you'll find Pepperhead's easily enough and buying a
> dozen bottles at a time will bring shipping costs down-pick a company
> not too far away.
>

> On 17 Nov 2003 14:14:10 -0800, (Tethyus) wrote:
>
> >I'm looking for recommendations for a hot but FLAVORFUL habanero hot
> >sauce. I used to cook with Pepperhead's when I lived in NY, and I
> >absolutely loved the chipolte/habanero sauce from Piehole Willie but
> >the shop where I used to get it closed.
> >
> >What I'm looking for: HEAT (back of the tongue burn), smokey, vinegar
> >based with that hint of fruit that you get from good habaneros.
> >
> >Any thoughts?

Greg Leman

> On 17 Nov 2003 14:14:10 -0800, (Tethyus) wrote:
>
> >I'm looking for recommendations for a hot but FLAVORFUL habanero hot
> >sauce. I used to cook with Pepperhead's when I lived in NY, and I
> >absolutely loved the chipolte/habanero sauce from Piehole Willie but
> >the shop where I used to get it closed.
> >
> >What I'm looking for: HEAT (back of the tongue burn), smokey, vinegar
> >based with that hint of fruit that you get from good habaneros.
> >
> >Any thoughts?

I'm a hot sauce fanatic and love to find the ones no one else has heard of,
but it's hard to beat the popular brands (I guess that's why they're
popular). IMHO, the leaders and Ring of Fire and Marie Sharp's. Ring of
Fire has two Habanero sauces, but they also have a Chipotle Garlic Sauce
that is very interesting. Marie Sharp's has several habanero sauces to
choose from. Of course, you can't really discuss this genre without
considering Dave's Gourmet, including the Crazy Carribean Hot Sauce and the
Ginger Peach Hot Sauce.

There's also a sub-class of sauce that isn't really a sauce, but is sold as
a "food additive." They're hotter and more noxious than military grade
pepper spray. Satan's Blood and Dave's Private Reserve come to mind.
Personally, I don't like the "too hot" stuff, but they're surprisingly
popular.

Hot Sauces make great stocking stuffers. I tend to like the ones based on
garlic or fruits. Rothchilds Hot Raspberry Thunder might be my current
favorite.

Since I own a web store that sells sauce, I get to try a lot of different
stuff. Before I opened the store, I used to always search for hot sauce
stores for my collection. But most stores that sell retail sell at a very
high margin -- they have to because their inventory turnover is fairly low
and retail space is expensive. You can get much better deals on the web,
and frankly you can look at the bottle, read the label, and get almost the
same experience as buying it in a store. Just make sure that you purchase
several bottles to keep the shipping cost down.

--
Greg Leman
Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.

pavane

On 17 Nov 2003 14:14:10 -0800, (Tethyus) wrote:

> I'm looking for recommendations for a hot but FLAVORFUL habanero hot
> sauce.

Go to
www.firegirl.com and follow their categories for
the sauces and predominant peppers. Great website.

pavane

Jack Schidt®

"Peggy" > wrote in message

> Oh, Jack, you are hot stuff! My favorite habanero-based hot sauce is
> Ralph's Sweet and Hot, sold regionally in upstate New York. I'm not
> sure how far their distribution net goes, but it's delicious!

Thanks, Peg, and I'll look for Ralph's.

Jack Saucy