crab cakes -- make ahead?

Old 17-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Dawn
Usenet poster

Default crab cakes -- make ahead?

Howdy all,

I'm planning to make crab cakes for appetizers for a fancy dinner
Wednesday night. Is it possible to make the "batter" of crab, onion,
egg, etc the day before and hold it in the fridge to be cooked just
before serving? I'm trying to spread the cooking out over 2 days and do
as much ahead of time as possible.

Dawn

Old 17-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Steve Calvin
Usenet poster

Dawn wrote:

Howdy all,

I'm planning to make crab cakes for appetizers for a fancy dinner
Wednesday night. Is it possible to make the "batter" of crab, onion,
egg, etc the day before and hold it in the fridge to be cooked just
before serving? I'm trying to spread the cooking out over 2 days and do
as much ahead of time as possible.

Dawn

Hm... I'm not sure about that. I may be tempted but it really doesn't
take that long to toss the ingredients together. I'd add a little
spicy mustard and Old Bay seasoning too.

--
Steve

If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

Old 17-11-2003, 06:22 PM
BOB
Usenet poster

Dawn typed:
Howdy all,

I'm planning to make crab cakes for appetizers for a fancy dinner
Wednesday night. Is it possible to make the "batter" of crab, onion,
egg, etc the day before and hold it in the fridge to be cooked just
before serving? I'm trying to spread the cooking out over 2 days and do
as much ahead of time as possible.

Dawn

Yes, you can, but the finished result will be more of a "mushy" center.

Here's my favorite way to make crab cakes:
http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesCrabcakes.html
even though the cooker is the wrong color '-)

BOB

Old 17-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Frogleg
Usenet poster

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:22:32 -0500, " BOB" wrote:

Dawn typed:

I'm planning to make crab cakes for appetizers for a fancy dinner
Wednesday night. Is it possible to make the "batter" of crab, onion,
egg, etc the day before and hold it in the fridge to be cooked just
before serving? I'm trying to spread the cooking out over 2 days and do
as much ahead of time as possible.

Yes, you can, but the finished result will be more of a "mushy" center.

Here's my favorite way to make crab cakes:
http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesCrabcakes.html

Many recipes, incl. the one cited above, recommend refrigerating the
formed cakes for an hour or more (to help them sort of glom together
and not fall apart when cooked) before grilling/frying. 24 hrs may be
pushing it,
Old 17-11-2003, 06:51 PM
BOB
Usenet poster

Frogleg typed:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:22:32 -0500, " BOB" wrote:

Dawn typed:

I'm planning to make crab cakes for appetizers for a fancy dinner
Wednesday night. Is it possible to make the "batter" of crab, onion,
egg, etc the day before and hold it in the fridge to be cooked just
before serving? I'm trying to spread the cooking out over 2 days and do
as much ahead of time as possible.

Yes, you can, but the finished result will be more of a "mushy" center.

Here's my favorite way to make crab cakes:
http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesCrabcakes.html

Many recipes, incl. the one cited above, recommend refrigerating the
formed cakes for an hour or more (to help them sort of glom together
and not fall apart when cooked) before grilling/frying. 24 hrs may be
pushing it,

Exactly. Even overnight is too long, IME.

BOB

Old 17-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

"Dawn" wrote in message
Howdy all,

I'm planning to make crab cakes for appetizers for a fancy dinner
Wednesday night. Is it possible to make the "batter" of crab, onion,
egg, etc the day before and hold it in the fridge to be cooked just
before serving? I'm trying to spread the cooking out over 2 days and do
as much ahead of time as possible.

I wouldn't; crab cakes are best when they're made start to finish in one
session. I'd suggest moving it toward the end of your schedule and moving
something else to the early part. ('reprioritizing your timeline', isn't
that the corpspeak version?). If you can't do that, make the crab cakes
today; They'll do ok in the refrigerator for the day and a half you're
talking (it is THIS wednesday, right?)

Jack Schedule

Old 17-11-2003, 11:54 PM
Dawn
Usenet poster

Jack Schidt® wrote:

I wouldn't; crab cakes are best when they're made start to finish in one
session.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think what I will do is
saute up the onion and celery and corn that are part of the recipe I
have chosen, and set that in the fridge the night before. Then I'll mix
up the rest of the ingredients just prior to frying.

Dawn

Old 18-11-2003, 12:31 AM
limey
Usenet poster

"Dawn" wrote in message
Jack Schidt® wrote:

I wouldn't; crab cakes are best when they're made start to finish in one
session.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think what I will do is
saute up the onion and celery and corn that are part of the recipe I
have chosen, and set that in the fridge the night before. Then I'll mix
up the rest of the ingredients just prior to frying.

Dawn

After forming the patties, refrigerate them for an hour or so. They are
less likely to break apart in the pan. Handle lightly.

Dora

Old 21-11-2003, 06:47 AM
Sylvia
Usenet poster

I've bought crab and lobster cakes at the local grocery store that were
already cooked and just needed to be heated (25 minutes in a 350 oven,
IIRC), Maybe you could do that?

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

need help with cakes for bake sale Diem Sellers Baking 2 16-03-2004 12:59 AM
How to make legal honest cash? money Baking 1 05-03-2004 09:01 PM
newbie, altitude cooking alia Baking 6 28-12-2003 04:52 PM
rich, moist chocolate cake Elitsirk Baking 25 07-12-2003 12:49 AM
New/different Crab Cake Ideas? jmcquown General Cooking 4 25-10-2003 01:37 AM