Wayne Boatwright

Default Thanksgiving Question - Mashed

Dog3 > wrote in
4:

> I only have to make 3 things for Thanksgiving. Mashed potatoes, gravy
> and my cranberry relish. What I would like to do is make the mashed
> and gravy in the morning and keep them warm in separate crock pots.
> Has anyone done this? If so, what temp low/high and for how long?
> Are the potatoes as good when heated for this long? I seldom use
> crock pots but this seems like a very convenient way to keep food
> warm. TIA
>
> Michael

Michael, the gravy should work just fine in the crockpot. Put into the
crockpot just after cooking, then keep hot on low. Stir periodically
with a whisk, as it may tend to separate a bit. I would keep it on heat
for longer than 3 hours.

The potatoes are another thing, and I'm sure that someone here may have a
better method to success. My own experience is that mashed potatoes kept
warm for extended periods by any means tend to become sodden.

Having said that, there are some very good "make ahead" mashed potatoes
that stand up well to long storage. Most contain a mixture of sour cream
or cream cheese or both, milk or cream, and eggs. The ones I've eaten
are delicious. Unfortunately, I don't have a recipe for any of them.

Wayne
Bob Pastorio

Dog3 wrote:

> I only have to make 3 things for Thanksgiving. Mashed potatoes, gravy and
> my cranberry relish. What I would like to do is make the mashed and gravy
> in the morning and keep them warm in separate crock pots. Has anyone done
> this? If so, what temp low/high and for how long? Are the potatoes as
> good when heated for this long? I seldom use crock pots but this seems
> like a very convenient way to keep food warm. TIA

Neither will benefit from being held hot.

The gravy will thin out if well-covered and thicken if not.
Evaporation will make it more dense if the water vapor can escape and
thin and runny if it can't.

The potatoes will become heavy and sodden. Like school lunch mashed
potatoes.

Suggestions: Make the gravy in advance and chill it. Rewarm in a
double boiler or crockpot about an hour ahead.

Potatoes. Dice and cook them and chill them. At the last minute, drop
them back into boiling water to warm through and finish as usual.

Pastorio

Janet Bostwick

"Dog3" > wrote in message
4...
> I only have to make 3 things for Thanksgiving. Mashed potatoes, gravy and
> my cranberry relish. What I would like to do is make the mashed and gravy
> in the morning and keep them warm in separate crock pots. Has anyone done
> this? If so, what temp low/high and for how long? Are the potatoes as
> good when heated for this long? I seldom use crock pots but this seems
> like a very convenient way to keep food warm. TIA
>
> Michael

I'm always asked to prepare the mashed potatoes for dinner at particular
hour. The hostess is never on time, sometimes off by a couple of hours. You
can make the potatoes. Don't try to keep them warm. Nuke them very briefly
to re-warm. Be careful, if you overheat they are not nice. If you can
somehow just manage to warm them--pot or microwave--they are not noticeably
different than fresh made mashed potatoes. The key is not to overheat. It
is also better if the potatoes are simply made(no sour cream, herbs etc) and
just a smidge on the dry side.
Janet

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Bob Pastorio
> wrote:
(Michael's inquiry about holding mashed potatoes in a crock pot snipped)

> Potatoes. Dice and cook them and chill them. At the last minute, drop
> them back into boiling water to warm through and finish as usual.
>
> Pastorio

Whoa!! Now THAT's a plan I could follow! You da man, Row-behr-to!
--
-Barb
State Fair prizewinning jams and jellies for sale at the Burnsville
J.J. [aka j*ni]

Hark! I heard Dog3 <nonym.no.net> say:
> Wayne Boatwright > deliciously posted in
> :

<snip>

> > Having said that, there are some very good "make ahead" mashed
> > potatoes that stand up well to long storage. Most contain a mixture
> > of sour cream or cream cheese or both, milk or cream, and eggs. The
> > ones I've eaten are delicious. Unfortunately, I don't have a recipe
> > for any of them.

> Thanks for the tip. I'm just trying not to rush at the last minute. I
> love mashed potatoes and do NOT want them to get all gooey and mushy.

Rachael Rae did a show about Shepard's pie the other day, and here is
her recipe for the potato topping, which sounds a lot like what Wayne
mentioned above:

http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._22590,00.html

2 pounds potatoes, such as russet, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons sour cream or softened cream cheese
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup cream, for a lighter version substitute vegetable or
chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain
potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and
cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are
almost smooth.

I have no idea if this will work for your needs, Michael, but there it
is -- HTH! :-)

--
J.J. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!

J.J. [aka j*ni]

Hark! I heard Melba's Jammin' > say:
> In article >, Bob Pastorio
> > wrote:
> (Michael's inquiry about holding mashed potatoes in a crock pot snipped)

> > Potatoes. Dice and cook them and chill them. At the last minute, drop
> > them back into boiling water to warm through and finish as usual.

> Whoa!! Now THAT's a plan I could follow! You da man, Row-behr-to!

I agree -- I'm going to try this trick on Christmas. I assume you drain
the spuds after cooking and before chilling?

--
J.J. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Bob Pastorio

J.J. [aka j*ni] wrote:

> Hark! I heard Melba's Jammin' > say:
>
>>Bob Pastorio > wrote:
>>(Michael's inquiry about holding mashed potatoes in a crock pot snipped)

>>>Potatoes. Dice and cook them and chill them. At the last minute, drop
>>>them back into boiling water to warm through and finish as usual.

>>Whoa!! Now THAT's a plan I could follow! You da man, Row-behr-to!

> I agree -- I'm going to try this trick on Christmas. I assume you drain
> the spuds after cooking and before chilling?

Usually. But the last time I did this, I drained the hot spuds and
tossed them with a bit of heavy cream and then chilled them. Can't
explain it exactly, but they tasted fuller, more potatoey. Didn't
reheat in water, though. Warmed the spuds and cream in a saucepan and
added way too much butter and a dash of roasted garlic puree. Smashed
with an old green-handled masher and left the lumps in. Perfect.

Pastorio

mrs_cruella

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:06:28 -0000, Dog3 <nonym.no.net> wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright > deliciously posted in
:

>> Dog3 > wrote in
>> 4:
>>
>>> I only have to make 3 things for Thanksgiving. Mashed potatoes,
>>> gravy and my cranberry relish. What I would like to do is make the
>>> mashed and gravy in the morning and keep them warm in separate crock
>>> pots. Has anyone done this? If so, what temp low/high and for how
>>> long? Are the potatoes as good when heated for this long? I seldom
>>> use crock pots but this seems like a very convenient way to keep food
>>> warm. TIA
>>>
>>> Michael

My husband is the potato maker here. I keep them hot by placing them
in a large pyrex bowl over a one of my stock pots with simmering
water (ala homemade double boiler). The lid for the pot fits nicely
over the bowl. I also place a small folded towel between the bowl and
the pan to act as a vent. I occasionally give them a stir as they heat
up.

Living in the land of cows.

J.J. [aka j*ni]

Hark! I heard Bob Pastorio > say:
> J.J. [aka j*ni] wrote:
> > Hark! I heard Melba's Jammin' > say:
> >>Bob Pastorio > wrote:
> >>(Michael's inquiry about holding mashed potatoes in a crock pot snipped)

> >>Whoa!! Now THAT's a plan I could follow! You da man, Row-behr-to!

> > I agree -- I'm going to try this trick on Christmas. I assume you drain
> > the spuds after cooking and before chilling?

> Usually. But the last time I did this, I drained the hot spuds and
> tossed them with a bit of heavy cream and then chilled them. Can't
> explain it exactly, but they tasted fuller, more potatoey. Didn't
> reheat in water, though. Warmed the spuds and cream in a saucepan and
> added way too much butter and a dash of roasted garlic puree. Smashed
> with an old green-handled masher and left the lumps in. Perfect.

Ooooh, that sounds even better! I'll try it and let you know how
it come out. Thanks, Bob!

--
J.J. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Z GIRL

"Bob Pastorio" > wrote in message
> J.J. [aka j*ni] wrote:
>
> > Hark! I heard Melba's Jammin' > say:
> >
> >>Bob Pastorio > wrote:
> >>(Michael's inquiry about holding mashed potatoes in a crock pot snipped)

> >>Whoa!! Now THAT's a plan I could follow! You da man, Row-behr-to!

> > I agree -- I'm going to try this trick on Christmas. I assume you drain
> > the spuds after cooking and before chilling?

> Usually. But the last time I did this, I drained the hot spuds and
> tossed them with a bit of heavy cream and then chilled them. Can't
> explain it exactly, but they tasted fuller, more potatoey. Didn't
> reheat in water, though. Warmed the spuds and cream in a saucepan and
> added way too much butter and a dash of roasted garlic puree. Smashed
> with an old green-handled masher and left the lumps in. Perfect.
>
> Pastorio

Just curious Bob, Don't the potatoes discolor a bit? I like your idea with
the cream since I always use a lot of butter and I like lumps in my
potatoes. ;-)

peace,
Barbara

Bob Pastorio

Z GIRL wrote:

> "Bob Pastorio" > wrote in

>>Usually. But the last time I did this, I drained the hot spuds and
>>tossed them with a bit of heavy cream and then chilled them. Can't
>>explain it exactly, but they tasted fuller, more potatoey. Didn't
>>reheat in water, though. Warmed the spuds and cream in a saucepan and
>>added way too much butter and a dash of roasted garlic puree. Smashed
>>with an old green-handled masher and left the lumps in. Perfect.

> Just curious Bob, Don't the potatoes discolor a bit? I like your idea with
> the cream since I always use a lot of butter and I like lumps in my
> potatoes. ;-)

I didn't find that they discolored. IIRC, cooking stops the action
that results in browned fresh-cut potatoes.

Pastorio

Bob Pastorio

Dog3 wrote:

> Bob Pastorio > deliciously posted

>>Usually. But the last time I did this, I drained the hot spuds and
>>tossed them with a bit of heavy cream and then chilled them. Can't
>>explain it exactly, but they tasted fuller, more potatoey. Didn't
>>reheat in water, though. Warmed the spuds and cream in a saucepan and
>>added way too much butter and a dash of roasted garlic puree. Smashed
>>with an old green-handled masher and left the lumps in. Perfect.

> What about draining the spuds and then tossing them into some chicken
> broth? I've been using broth instead of butter and milk. I like the taste
> even though it's not as good as 'the real thing'.

Sure. Why not? Think outside the skin here. How about salsa? Or hot
pepper jelly? Or adding pureed salsify to spuds and stock? How about
finely pureed dark poultry meat (a bit more fat than white so it eats
smoother)? Hoisin sauce?

Anybody else...?

Pastorio

Gail

I make my mashed potatoes 2 days in advance, and cool them thoroughly.I put
them into a large ziplock bag, and roll it up, squeezing out all extra air.On
Turkey morning, I put the spuds into my crockpot [10lbs,mashed,will fill a 6
1/2 qt crock] and heat on high,covered,stirring every 20-30 minutes.
Gail~~~~~~~~~~
---
Please remember the needy... http://www.quickdonations.com
~~~ Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity ;o) ~~~
Carmen Dioxide

Bob Pastorio > wrote > Potatoes. Dice and cook them
and >chill them. At the last minute, drop
> them back into boiling water

How do explain the grey mashed potatoes to your guests? Unless
potatoes are "dressed" in some manner immediately after being cooked
they generally turn blackish or get grey-black blotches on them. The
best way is the way we do it...which is of course what everyone says.
Make the mashed potatoes. If you're not eating them immediately then
do the "bowl over hot water" routine or better yet, use the microwave
on a low setting to keep them hot--covered with Saran wrap. Just watch
that steam when you remove it--very dangerous!! Mashed potatoes
leftover can be reheated perfectly in the micro by adding a bit more
milk and butter and whipping them with a wisk.
Bob Pastorio

Carmen Dioxide wrote:

> Bob Pastorio > wrote > Potatoes. Dice and cook them
> and chill them. At the last minute, drop them back into boiling water
>

> How do explain the grey mashed potatoes to your guests?

I tell them that I got them from Chernobyl and that they have some new
and unusual nutritive elements. Elements like numbers 345 and 658 and 829.

> Unless
> potatoes are "dressed" in some manner immediately after being cooked
> they generally turn blackish or get grey-black blotches on them.

I feel so neglected. My potatoes don't get those attractive blotches
on them. I mean why can't I have them, too?

I don't dress mine. They seem to prefer being naked. The butter is
just in case they begin to get a sunburn.

> The
> best way is the way we do it...which is of course what everyone says.
> Make the mashed potatoes. If you're not eating them immediately then
> do the "bowl over hot water" routine or better yet, use the microwave
> on a low setting to keep them hot--covered with Saran wrap. Just watch
> that steam when you remove it--very dangerous!! Mashed potatoes
> leftover can be reheated perfectly in the micro by adding a bit more
> milk and butter and whipping them with a wisk.

Or, mash them at the last minute (reheat spuds alone in the nuke or in
boiling water, mix in the goodies and smash to get rid of your
hostilities) without all that fiddling and have them fresh, hot and
buttery. Like so many of us wish we were.

Pastorio

-L.

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message >...
> Dog3 > wrote in
> 4:
>
> > I only have to make 3 things for Thanksgiving. Mashed potatoes, gravy
> > and my cranberry relish. What I would like to do is make the mashed
> > and gravy in the morning and keep them warm in separate crock pots.
> > Has anyone done this? If so, what temp low/high and for how long?
> > Are the potatoes as good when heated for this long? I seldom use
> > crock pots but this seems like a very convenient way to keep food
> > warm. TIA
> >
> > Michael
> >

> Michael, the gravy should work just fine in the crockpot. Put into the
> crockpot just after cooking, then keep hot on low. Stir periodically
> with a whisk, as it may tend to separate a bit. I would keep it on heat
> for longer than 3 hours.
>
> The potatoes are another thing, and I'm sure that someone here may have a
> better method to success. My own experience is that mashed potatoes kept
> warm for extended periods by any means tend to become sodden.

Piggybacking.

I make mashed from scratch all the time. Make them as usual and store
them in the fridge, covered. Before serving, nuke to heat, just until
hot, stirring every minute or so. This is by far the easiest and most
superior way to reheat them - stovetop heating causes the starches to
break down, as does any type of prolonged heating.

best of luck,
-L.