Wayne Jones

Default What's wrong with Muffin experiment #1 ?

Hi folks.
I'm trying to lose weight and so far have lost 60lbs by following Weight
Watchers and lots of walking. I like muffins but they are all so high in
calories. So, I am trying to come up with a recipe that is edible and is
low in WW points.
This recipe is 1 1/2 points per muffinand tastes great but didn't rise much
and has the consistency more of a drop cookie than a muffin ;-)
Can anyone tell me what I can do to get the muffins to rise more without
adding too much in the way of calories?
Thanks
Wayne

Muffin experiment #1

1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
1 T molasses
1/2 C no fat sour cream
1 C whole wheat flour
1 1/2 C wheat bran (not Kelloggs All Bran)
2 eggs
1/4 t cinnamon, nutmeg
1 T atrificial sweetener (equivalent to 1/2 C sugar)
1/4 C raisins
3/4 t salt
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda

beat the eggs with the applesauce, molasses, sour cream and sweetener. Tried
to incorporate some air bubbles but
not too successful.

Mixed all the ingredients together (Muffin batter was fairly stiff) and put
in large muffin cups to make 9 muffins. .

Baked at 400F for 20 minutes

DJS0302

>Hi folks.
>I'm trying to lose weight and so far have lost 60lbs by following Weight
>Watchers and lots of walking. I like muffins but they are all so high in
>calories. So, I am trying to come up with a recipe that is edible and is
>low in WW points.
>This recipe is 1 1/2 points per muffinand tastes great but didn't rise much
>and has the consistency more of a drop cookie than a muffin ;-)
>Can anyone tell me what I can do to get the muffins to rise more without
>adding too much in the way of calories?
>Thanks
>Wayne
>
>Muffin experiment #1
>
>1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
>1 T molasses
>1/2 C no fat sour cream
>1 C whole wheat flour
>1 1/2 C wheat bran (not Kelloggs All Bran)
>2 eggs
>1/4 t cinnamon, nutmeg
>1 T atrificial sweetener (equivalent to 1/2 C sugar)
>1/4 C raisins
>3/4 t salt
>1 1/2 t baking powder
>1/2 t baking soda
>
>beat the eggs with the applesauce, molasses, sour cream and sweetener. Tried
>to incorporate some air bubbles but
>not too successful.
>
>Mixed all the ingredients together (Muffin batter was fairly stiff) and put
>in large muffin cups to make 9 muffins. .
>
>Baked at 400F for 20 minutes

Well is it possible for you to use regular all purpose flour for part or all
of the whole wheat flour you're using? With all that whole wheat flour and
wheat bran you're using you're going to end up with a heavy product. If you
can't change the type of flour then I would either add a little more baking
powder or you could try separating the eggs and use just the yolks in the
batter . Then you could whip the whites into a meringue and fold them into the
muffin batter to make it lighter.
Wayne Jones

According to my weight watchers guide, white flour has the same number of
calories and I counted it that way. I do think that the more fibre in the
flour, the lower the ww points but maybe they think it's negligable. So,
yes, I could use another flour. Do you think cake flour would be better than
all purpose in this case? How about the thickness of the batter? Would
making it runnier help?
Beating the egg whites is a good idea. I didn't know enough to separate the
whites first. I'll try that too. Thanks a lot.
Wayne
"DJS0302" > wrote in message
> >Hi folks.
> >I'm trying to lose weight and so far have lost 60lbs by following Weight
> >Watchers and lots of walking. I like muffins but they are all so high in
> >calories. So, I am trying to come up with a recipe that is edible and is
> >low in WW points.
> >This recipe is 1 1/2 points per muffinand tastes great but didn't rise

much
> >and has the consistency more of a drop cookie than a muffin ;-)
> >Can anyone tell me what I can do to get the muffins to rise more without
> >adding too much in the way of calories?
> >Thanks
> >Wayne
> >
> >Muffin experiment #1
> >
> >1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
> >1 T molasses
> >1/2 C no fat sour cream
> >1 C whole wheat flour
> >1 1/2 C wheat bran (not Kelloggs All Bran)
> >2 eggs
> >1/4 t cinnamon, nutmeg
> >1 T atrificial sweetener (equivalent to 1/2 C sugar)
> >1/4 C raisins
> >3/4 t salt
> >1 1/2 t baking powder
> >1/2 t baking soda
> >
> >beat the eggs with the applesauce, molasses, sour cream and sweetener.

Tried
> >to incorporate some air bubbles but
> >not too successful.
> >
> >Mixed all the ingredients together (Muffin batter was fairly stiff) and

put
> >in large muffin cups to make 9 muffins. .
> >
> >Baked at 400F for 20 minutes
> >

> Well is it possible for you to use regular all purpose flour for part or

all
> of the whole wheat flour you're using? With all that whole wheat flour

and
> wheat bran you're using you're going to end up with a heavy product. If

you
> can't change the type of flour then I would either add a little more

baking
> powder or you could try separating the eggs and use just the yolks in the
> batter . Then you could whip the whites into a meringue and fold them

into the
> muffin batter to make it lighter.

Hahabogus

"Wayne Jones" > wrote in
le.rogers.com:

> According to my weight watchers guide, white flour has the same number
> of calories and I counted it that way. I do think that the more fibre
> in the flour, the lower the ww points but maybe they think it's
> negligable. So, yes, I could use another flour. Do you think cake
> flour would be better than all purpose in this case? How about the
> thickness of the batter? Would making it runnier help?
> Beating the egg whites is a good idea. I didn't know enough to
> separate the whites first. I'll try that too. Thanks a lot.

Have you considered that your baking powder might be too old and also the
baking soda?
Putting a little baking powder in a glass and adding some hot water should
produce a steady small stream of bubbles for 5 or 6 minutes...if not get
more from the store....

The pinch of baking soda sprinkled on some vinegar also in a glass (but not
as much) should produce an immediate foaming mass of bubbles. chuck the
test materials away when done. replacing a good portion of the oil with
applesauce will help reduce the calories and increase the fiber as well.

--
The Beet goes on! (or under)
Frogleg

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:21:25 GMT, "Wayne Jones"
> wrote:

>Beating the egg whites is a good idea. I didn't know enough to separate the
>whites first. I'll try that too.

3 methods I know of: 1) break the egg over a bowl or cup and allow the
white to fall while passing the yolk (carefully!) from one half of the
shell to the other. When most of the white is separated, dump the yolk
into another dish or cup. This takes some practice if you've never
done it before. Egg whites will not fluff up if mixed with yolk, so
the trick is to keep the yolk intact. 2) break the egg and dump the
whole egg (minus shell, of course :-) into a cup. Then pour through
your (thoroughly washed) fingers, retaining the yolk as above. 3)
There are gadgets called "egg separators" that are essentially sort of
large spoons with slots that will allow the white to drip through
while retaining the yolk.

Kajikit

Wayne Jones saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us
all about it on Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:09:10 GMT:

>Hi folks.
>I'm trying to lose weight and so far have lost 60lbs by following Weight
>Watchers and lots of walking. I like muffins but they are all so high in

With no fat, no sugar and wholemeal flour plus extra fibre your
muffins are going to be like little rocks!

Try using SELF-RAISING flour instead of plain flour, and put in some
extra raising agent for good measure. Also eat them warm and fresh and
they won't seem so heavy.

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Wayne Jones

Default Light muffin success

Thanks for your comments on my first attempt.
The recipe was changed to replace the sour cream with 1/2 cup no fat peach
yoghurt, I added 1/2 cup skim milk and 1/2 cup of diced peach.
The eggs were separated and the whites beat and added when the wet
ingredients were added to the dry. I used white all purpose flour instead of
whole wheat.

The muffins came out really good and my wife agrees.

I used 1 cup muffin tins so the recipe made only 6 huge muffins baked 20
minutes at 400F and each were only 3 points using Weight Watcher's rules

Wayne
.cable.rogers.com...