-L.

Default Low Sodium Hot Dogs?

DH likes chili-laden hot dogs (I won't touch them) but is on a
salt-restricted diet. Does anyone make a salt-reduced version that is
tasty?

TIA for any info.
-L.
Katra

"-L." wrote:

> DH likes chili-laden hot dogs (I won't touch them) but is on a
> salt-restricted diet. Does anyone make a salt-reduced version that is
> tasty?
>
> TIA for any info.
> -L.

While still not all that low in salt, Boars Head brand is lower than most...

You might consider making your own, or just giving them up except as a
rare treat.

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
jmcquown

-L. wrote:
> DH likes chili-laden hot dogs (I won't touch them) but is on a
> salt-restricted diet. Does anyone make a salt-reduced version that is
> tasty?
>
> TIA for any info.
> -L.

Not clear; are you asking for low-sodium hot dogs or low sodium chili to put
on the hot dogs?

I don't know of any low sodium hot dogs, but I know you can make your own
no-salt chili powder to season chili with. I got this recipe blend from
the American Heart Association's 'Cooking Without Your Salt Shaker', circa
1980. They have since told me this is a collectible cookbook! LOL

3 Tbs. sweet paprika (in making chili powder, I'd use hot Hungarian paprika)
2 tps. finely crushed oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)

Blend ingredients together and use in place of commercially sold chili
powder. Makes 4 Tablespoonfuls.

Jill

Siobhan Perricone

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 04:17:15 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>I don't know of any low sodium hot dogs, but I know you can make your own
>no-salt chili powder to season chili with.

Also, Penzey's chili powders don't have salt, IIRC.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the human physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"
-L.

"jmcquown" > wrote in message >. ..
> -L. wrote:
> > DH likes chili-laden hot dogs (I won't touch them) but is on a
> > salt-restricted diet. Does anyone make a salt-reduced version that is
> > tasty?
> >
> > TIA for any info.
> > -L.

> Not clear; are you asking for low-sodium hot dogs or low sodium chili to put
> on the hot dogs?

Hot dogs. The chili I can make low-sod, no problem. Thanks for the
recipe, though.

-L.

-L.

Katra > wrote in message >...
> "-L." wrote:
> >
> > DH likes chili-laden hot dogs (I won't touch them) but is on a
> > salt-restricted diet. Does anyone make a salt-reduced version that is
> > tasty?
> >
> > TIA for any info.
> > -L.

> While still not all that low in salt, Boars Head brand is lower than most...

Thanks, I'll look them up.

> You might consider making your own, or just giving them up except as a
> rare treat.

That's pretty much what he has done.

-L.
Katra

"-L." wrote:

> Katra > wrote in message >...
> > "-L." wrote:
> > >
> > > DH likes chili-laden hot dogs (I won't touch them) but is on a
> > > salt-restricted diet. Does anyone make a salt-reduced version that is
> > > tasty?
> > >
> > > TIA for any info.
> > > -L.

> > While still not all that low in salt, Boars Head brand is lower than most...

> Thanks, I'll look them up.

They are also quite superior in flavor and texture to just about any
other hot dog out there. ;-)

> > You might consider making your own, or just giving them up except as a
> > rare treat.

> That's pretty much what he has done.
>
> -L.

Go here if you have the equipment to stuff sausage casings:

http://www.geocities.com/webcipes/frank/a8.html

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Eugene Tesoriero

as someone said before boars head brand hot dogs are lower in salt but
they make a lite hot dog that is very good and much lower in salt

The Trinity of Sodium Damaeus[_3_] General Cooking 1 25-08-2011 11:11 PM
Sodium metabisulphate Dick Heckman[_2_] Winemaking 7 14-05-2009 12:27 AM
Sodium Metabisulfite Maurice Hamling Winemaking 9 04-10-2005 03:41 AM
Sodium Benzoate J F Winemaking 5 11-01-2005 04:30 PM
Sodium Benzoate J F Winemaking 0 09-01-2005 09:56 PM