Low Sodium Hot Dogs?

Old 15-11-2003, 08:19 AM
-L.
Usenet poster

Default Low Sodium Hot Dogs?

DH likes chili-laden hot dogs (I won't touch them) but is on a
salt-restricted diet. Does anyone make a salt-reduced version that is
tasty?

TIA for any info.
-L.
Old 15-11-2003, 08:30 AM
Katra
Usenet poster

"-L." wrote:

DH likes chili-laden hot dogs (I won't touch them) but is on a
salt-restricted diet. Does anyone make a salt-reduced version that is
tasty?

TIA for any info.
-L.

While still not all that low in salt, Boars Head brand is lower than most...

You might consider making your own, or just giving them up except as a
rare treat.

K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Old 15-11-2003, 10:17 AM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

-L. wrote:
DH likes chili-laden hot dogs (I won't touch them) but is on a
salt-restricted diet. Does anyone make a salt-reduced version that is
tasty?

TIA for any info.
-L.

Not clear; are you asking for low-sodium hot dogs or low sodium chili to put
on the hot dogs?

I don't know of any low sodium hot dogs, but I know you can make your own
no-salt chili powder to season chili with. I got this recipe blend from
the American Heart Association's 'Cooking Without Your Salt Shaker', circa
1980. They have since told me this is a collectible cookbook! LOL

3 Tbs. sweet paprika (in making chili powder, I'd use hot Hungarian paprika)
2 tps. finely crushed oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)

Blend ingredients together and use in place of commercially sold chili
powder. Makes 4 Tablespoonfuls.

Jill

Old 15-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Siobhan Perricone
Usenet poster

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 04:17:15 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

I don't know of any low sodium hot dogs, but I know you can make your own
no-salt chili powder to season chili with.

Also, Penzey's chili powders don't have salt, IIRC.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the human physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"
Old 15-11-2003, 11:09 PM
-L.
Usenet poster

"jmcquown" wrote in message . ..
-L. wrote:
DH likes chili-laden hot dogs (I won't touch them) but is on a
salt-restricted diet. Does anyone make a salt-reduced version that is
tasty?

TIA for any info.
-L.

Not clear; are you asking for low-sodium hot dogs or low sodium chili to put
on the hot dogs?

Hot dogs. The chili I can make low-sod, no problem. Thanks for the
recipe, though.

-L.
Old 15-11-2003, 11:10 PM
-L.
Usenet poster

Katra wrote in message ...
"-L." wrote:

DH likes chili-laden hot dogs (I won't touch them) but is on a
salt-restricted diet. Does anyone make a salt-reduced version that is
tasty?

TIA for any info.
-L.

While still not all that low in salt, Boars Head brand is lower than most...

Thanks, I'll look them up.

You might consider making your own, or just giving them up except as a
rare treat.

That's pretty much what he has done.

-L.
Old 16-11-2003, 12:07 AM
Katra
Usenet poster

"-L." wrote:

Katra wrote in message ...
"-L." wrote:

DH likes chili-laden hot dogs (I won't touch them) but is on a
salt-restricted diet. Does anyone make a salt-reduced version that is
tasty?

TIA for any info.
-L.

While still not all that low in salt, Boars Head brand is lower than most...

Thanks, I'll look them up.

They are also quite superior in flavor and texture to just about any
other hot dog out there. ;-)

You might consider making your own, or just giving them up except as a
rare treat.

That's pretty much what he has done.

-L.

Go here if you have the equipment to stuff sausage casings:

http://www.geocities.com/webcipes/frank/a8.html

K.

Old 17-11-2003, 06:22 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Best's has lower sodium hot dogs. They are about 380 mg for a fairly
large hot dog. I get them at Stop and Shop in NY-Long Island but I
think the Best company is out of Chicago. BJ's has some of their
products but not the low-salt franks.

Old 18-11-2003, 01:18 AM
Eugene Tesoriero
Usenet poster

as someone said before boars head brand hot dogs are lower in salt but
they make a lite hot dog that is very good and much lower in salt