FoodBanter.com

-   -   What does turtle taste like? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/2018-what-does-turtle-taste.html)

Kenneth Leja 14-11-2003 09:32 AM

What does turtle taste like?

And how do you eat it?

Katra 14-11-2003 09:50 AM

What does turtle taste like?

Kenneth Leja wrote:

> And how do you eat it?

Tastes like chicken of course...

and you eat it very, very carefully. ;-)

Ever seen a large snapping turtle?
They are supposed to be some of the best eating.

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra

Bob Pastorio 14-11-2003 12:25 PM

What does turtle taste like?

Kenneth Leja wrote:

> And how do you eat it?

Country folks hereabouts in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia eat
local snapping turtles and claim they have 7 different meats.

Different parts of the critter, so they claim, have different flavors
and chewing characteristics. In my experience, I've seen three, the
feet, the upper legs and neck, and the body meat. Different like pork
has different kinds of meat in different parts.

The legs taste like chicken. The rest is, well, different.

Pastorio

[email protected] 14-11-2003 01:30 PM

What does turtle taste like?

Katra wrote:

> Kenneth Leja wrote:
> >
> > And how do you eat it?

> Tastes like chicken of course...
>
> and you eat it very, very carefully. ;-)
>
> Ever seen a large snapping turtle?
> They are supposed to be some of the best eating.
>
> K.
>
> --
> >^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

> "There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
> all owned by cats" -- Asimov
>
> Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry

http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra

I had some many years ago, around the mid-50's. What I had is now a protected
species (hawksbill turtle, aka carey). Does not taste like chicken at all,
more like a gamy pork.

It is supposed to be a restorative of male potency but I was in my teens then
and could not tell the difference. At that age I needed just the opposite. ;-)

TOM KAN PA 14-11-2003 01:49 PM

What does turtle taste like?

It tastes just........not like chicken.

<< And how do you eat it? >>
____Reply Separator_____
Find a restaurant that serves turtle soup. Tell the wait person, "Give me a
bowl of turtle soup and make it snappy!!"

-L. 14-11-2003 05:58 PM

What does turtle taste like?

(Kenneth Leja) wrote in message . com>...
> And how do you eat it?

Many species of turtle are endangered world-wide. I don't advocate eating them.
Nothing more awesome than encountering a turtle in the wild.

-L.

Dimitri 14-11-2003 06:08 PM

What does turtle taste like?

"Kenneth Leja" > wrote in message
om...
> And how do you eat it?

1. Elephant
2. With a knife and fork or a soup spoon.

Dimitri

A.T. Hagan 14-11-2003 06:36 PM

What does turtle taste like?

On 14 Nov 2003 00:32:39 -0800, (Kenneth Leja)
wrote:

>And how do you eat it?

Depends on the species of turtle.

Not quite old enough to have eaten sea turtle (that I'd admit in a
public newsgroup), but I've yet to try the softshell turtle that I
liked. Just something to its flavor that puts me off.

Snapper was pretty good. Only the lighter colored meat had anything
of a chicken taste to it. The darker meat tasted like... well,
turtle.

Once it's cleaned you can fix it about anyway you'd fix chicken.
Fried is usually how I've had it. Had one bowl of turtle soup that
was good. Had it stewed with tomatoes once that was good.

If you've never cleaned one before have someone who does know how show
you.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.

Katra 14-11-2003 06:55 PM

What does turtle taste like?

wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > Kenneth Leja wrote:
> > >
> > > And how do you eat it?

> > Tastes like chicken of course...
> >
> > and you eat it very, very carefully. ;-)
> >
> > Ever seen a large snapping turtle?
> > They are supposed to be some of the best eating.
> >
> > K.

> I had some many years ago, around the mid-50's. What I had is now a protected
> species (hawksbill turtle, aka carey). Does not taste like chicken at all,
> more like a gamy pork.

I was kidding dear. ;-)
I agree that it tastes a lot like pork, but with ever so slightly
fishy overtones.

The one that I ate was a large painted turtle. I found it alongside
the road and it had been hit by a car and was still very much alive,
unfortunately. :-( It was greviously injured with multiple breaks to the
shell and it's guts were hanging out one of the shell splits.

While I HAVE rescued and repaired some turtles (successfully I might
add!) that were hit by cars and had minor shell breakage, I judged this
one to be a candidate for euthanasia....

So, not being one to waste, I used it as an opportunity to try fresh
turtle. It was ok but I was not impressed. I'd never go out of my way
to kill another turtle just for the meat.

> It is supposed to be a restorative of male potency but I was in my teens then
> and could not tell the difference. At that age I needed just the opposite. ;-)

<grins> I've read about that in the body building magazines.... ;-)

K.

Katra 14-11-2003 07:04 PM

What does turtle taste like?

"-L." wrote:

> (Kenneth Leja) wrote in message . com>...
> > And how do you eat it?

> Many species of turtle are endangered world-wide. I don't advocate eating them.
> Nothing more awesome than encountering a turtle in the wild.
>
> -L.

I actually have to agree with this. :-)
That is why I only ate a turtle that _had_ to be killed.
Before that, even tho' I was curious about trying the meat,
I could just never bring myself to kill a healthy turtle.
I run into them in the river all the time when I go snorkeling.

It's tempting tho' sometimes when you are fishing and they
keep taking your bait! <G>

From the experience with that one turtle, they are not
really worth the effort anyway.

K.

Dave Smith 14-11-2003 07:18 PM

What does turtle taste like?

Katra wrote:

> I actually have to agree with this. :-)
> That is why I only ate a turtle that _had_ to be killed.
> Before that, even tho' I was curious about trying the meat,
> I could just never bring myself to kill a healthy turtle.
> I run into them in the river all the time when I go snorkeling.

The only time I ever killed a turtle was when I was staying on a friend's farm and we drained the pond that was our
swimming hole. We found a snapper in there that was more than two feet across, and he was nasty.

> It's tempting tho' sometimes when you are fishing and they
> keep taking your bait! <G>

It's even more frustrating when they eat your catch. We once left some fish on a stringer in the water while we
tended to something else for a while. We came back about an hour later and found a string of fish bones.

K3 14-11-2003 07:30 PM

What does turtle taste like?

ROFLMAO -- it was just two days ago that one of wife's co-worker's gave her
a can of "Snapper Soup"... for me (one who'll eat just 'bout anything) to
eat... I ate it... tasted like brown gravy with tofu.. .

LOL -- she's got the perfect "Gag" gift coming to her soon (coon) ...
"Creamed Possum w/ Sweet Potatoes garnished in Coon Fat
Gravy"...(http://www.johnsonsmith.com/website/...tail.asp?UID=2
003111413190716&item_no=25232&keyword=possum&cat_k eyword=&search_page_no=1)

Hey... I ate "Franklin 'da Turtle"... you can eat "Patty 'da Posssum"...

LOL!!!

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

"Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!"

Elena Nakashima 14-11-2003 07:42 PM

How do you kill a turtle?

Bob Pastorio > wrote in message >...
> Kenneth Leja wrote:
>
> > And how do you eat it?

> Country folks hereabouts in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia eat
> local snapping turtles and claim they have 7 different meats.
>
> Different parts of the critter, so they claim, have different flavors
> and chewing characteristics. In my experience, I've seen three, the
> feet, the upper legs and neck, and the body meat. Different like pork
> has different kinds of meat in different parts.
>
> The legs taste like chicken. The rest is, well, different.
>
> Pastorio

I personally like turtles too much to kill them. They are beautiful
animals. But for those who hunt turtles, how do they kill them?
Indeed, why kill an animal that nature went to such trouble to
protect. If God gave turtles a hard shell, it must be for a good
reason.

Katra 14-11-2003 08:18 PM

What does turtle taste like?

Dave Smith wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > I actually have to agree with this. :-)
> > That is why I only ate a turtle that _had_ to be killed.
> > Before that, even tho' I was curious about trying the meat,
> > I could just never bring myself to kill a healthy turtle.
> > I run into them in the river all the time when I go snorkeling.

> The only time I ever killed a turtle was when I was staying on a friend's farm and we drained the pond that was our
> swimming hole. We found a snapper in there that was more than two feet across, and he was nasty.

One that size can be pretty dangerous too! Their necks are nearly as
long as their shells, so holding them by the backside is no guarantee.
They can easily take off a finger or two. :-P

So, was he tasty?

> > It's tempting tho' sometimes when you are fishing and they
> > keep taking your bait! <G>

> It's even more frustrating when they eat your catch. We once left some fish on a stringer in the water while we
> tended to something else for a while. We came back about an hour later and found a string of fish bones.

Yah. They are death on trot lines too! Trot lines are legal in Texas and
quite effective for catfish in Canyon lake. :-)

LOOoooove big catfish! Yum!

K.

Katra 14-11-2003 08:29 PM

How do you kill a turtle?

Elena Nakashima wrote:

> Bob Pastorio > wrote in message >...
> > Kenneth Leja wrote:
> >
> > > And how do you eat it?

> > Country folks hereabouts in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia eat
> > local snapping turtles and claim they have 7 different meats.
> >
> > Different parts of the critter, so they claim, have different flavors
> > and chewing characteristics. In my experience, I've seen three, the
> > feet, the upper legs and neck, and the body meat. Different like pork
> > has different kinds of meat in different parts.
> >
> > The legs taste like chicken. The rest is, well, different.
> >
> > Pastorio

> I personally like turtles too much to kill them. They are beautiful
> animals. But for those who hunt turtles, how do they kill them?
> Indeed, why kill an animal that nature went to such trouble to
> protect. If God gave turtles a hard shell, it must be for a good
> reason.

My Doubleday cookbook had complete instructions on how to process a live turtle...

Usually you are dealing with a snapper. You place a stick in front of
their face and they will snap and grab onto it, and NOT let go usually.

You can then stretch out their neck and cut off their head with a pair
of poultry shears.

Never tried it, but that's what the book said...

K.

Carmen Dioxide 14-11-2003 09:19 PM

What does turtle taste like?

c (TOM KAN PA) wrote in message >...
> It tastes just........not like chicken.
>
> << And how do you eat it? >>
> ____Reply Separator_____
> Find a restaurant that serves turtle soup. Tell the wait person, "Give me a
> bowl of turtle soup and make it snappy!!"

LOL...that's my favorite corny (or in this case *turtley*) joke. Now
I am trying to envision a turtle out of it's shell!! That must be a
funny site, indeed.

Barry Grau 14-11-2003 10:13 PM

What does turtle taste like?

(Kenneth Leja) wrote in message . com>...
> And how do you eat it?

Like goo goo supremes without the marshmallow.

Dave Smith 14-11-2003 10:18 PM

How do you kill a turtle?

Elena Nakashima wrote:

> I personally like turtles too much to kill them. They are beautiful
> animals

My guess would be that you have never seen a big snapping turtle. Beautiful is the last word that
I would describe their appearance, or their personality. They are nasty creatures. The only one I
ever killed was the huge one that lived in our swimming hole.

Dave Smith 14-11-2003 10:22 PM

What does turtle taste like?

Katra wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>

> One that size can be pretty dangerous too! Their necks are nearly as
> long as their shells, so holding them by the backside is no guarantee.
> They can easily take off a finger or two. :-P

Or a toe. When we found him we stuck a stick in front of him figuring that we would grab onto it and we could yank him
out of there. He snapped them right off, so we ended up using a rake handle, and he put a seep mark in that..

> So, was he tasty?

Darned if I know. We weren't about to eat anything that ugly and with a collection of parasites hanging off his legs and
neck.

Dave Smith 14-11-2003 10:25 PM

How do you kill a turtle?

Katra wrote:

> Usually you are dealing with a snapper. You place a stick in front of
> their face and they will snap and grab onto it, and NOT let go usually.
>
> You can then stretch out their neck and cut off their head with a pair
> of poultry shears.

Poultry shears? I have never seen poultry shears big enough for the one we killed. We used the
stick to expend his neck and used an axe. We ruled out a hatchet, just in case he let go of the
stick and went for the executioner. :-)

PENMART01 14-11-2003 11:58 PM

How do you kill a turtle?

In article >, Dave Smith
> writes:

>Elena Nakashima wrote:
>
>> I personally like turtles too much to kill them. They are beautiful
>> animals

>My guess would be that you have never seen a big snapping turtle. Beautiful
>is the last word that
>I would describe their appearance, or their personality. They are nasty
>creatures. The only one I
>ever killed was the huge one that lived in our swimming hole.

Um, that was your wife.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

[email protected] 15-11-2003 05:10 AM

What does turtle taste like?

Kenneth Leja > wrote:
> And how do you eat it?

My dad used to eat turtle soup fairly often when I was
a kid. He said it tastes like chicken. I kid you not.
Being somewhat fussy about what I eat, I have never
tasted the stuff so I can't say how it tastes from
personal experience.

d c 15-11-2003 05:17 AM

What does turtle taste like?

"Kenneth Leja" > wrote in message
om...
> And how do you eat it?

You fly to New Orleans (N'Awlins) and go to Brennan's and order the Turtle
Soup (with a splash of sherry)...

Mmm... mmm... I guarontee....

--
The generation that used acid to escape reality
Is now using antacid to deal with reality

Moosemeat 15-11-2003 06:03 AM

How do you kill a turtle?

I doubt if a snapping turtle could survive being run over by a caterpillar
tractor (Large D-8 or bigger). Try dropping it on a land mine and if that
doesn't do the job a direct hit at the waterline with an RPG might work.
Another suggestion would be to take one up to eighteen or twenty thousand
feet and using a Norton bomb sight, try to hit the tennis court behind the
White House. If a direct hit isn't scored you might still bag somebody of
importance who might be hanging around

Elena Nakashima 15-11-2003 07:20 AM

How do you kill a turtle?

Dave Smith > wrote in message >...
> Elena Nakashima wrote:
>
> > I personally like turtles too much to kill them. They are beautiful
> > animals

> My guess would be that you have never seen a big snapping turtle. Beautiful is the last word that
> I would describe their appearance, or their personality. They are nasty creatures. The only one I
> ever killed was the huge one that lived in our swimming hole.

I have. I used to have a small one as a pet. Most turtles are
beautiful but not the snapping turtle. Still, it's a wonder of nature,
fearsome looking, 'proud', nature's Sherman tank, an armoured warrior.
Magnificent in its beastliness.

Katra 15-11-2003 07:27 AM

How do you kill a turtle?

Dave Smith wrote:

> Elena Nakashima wrote:
>
> > I personally like turtles too much to kill them. They are beautiful
> > animals

> My guess would be that you have never seen a big snapping turtle. Beautiful is the last word that
> I would describe their appearance, or their personality. They are nasty creatures. The only one I
> ever killed was the huge one that lived in our swimming hole.

I dunno....
I judge snappers to be in the "so ugly they are cute" category. ;-)

They are rather mean and dangerous tho'. I kept a small one as a pet for
a couple of years and fed her goldfish. She escaped one day from her
outdoor pen. I assume she lives in the local river now...

K.

Katra 15-11-2003 07:29 AM

What does turtle taste like?

Dave Smith wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Dave Smith wrote:
> >

> > One that size can be pretty dangerous too! Their necks are nearly as
> > long as their shells, so holding them by the backside is no guarantee.
> > They can easily take off a finger or two. :-P

> Or a toe. When we found him we stuck a stick in front of him figuring that we would grab onto it and we could yank him
> out of there. He snapped them right off, so we ended up using a rake handle, and he put a seep mark in that..
>
> > So, was he tasty?

> Darned if I know. We weren't about to eat anything that ugly and with a collection of parasites hanging off his legs and
> neck.

Ick! I hate leeches..... :-P There are fish and turtle leeches in our
local river too. If I play around with enough rocks and stuff when I
snorkel, I occasionally end up with leeches on ME! The rapidly become
"leech dip" on the sidewalk when I squish them. Ick ick ICK!!!!

K.

Katra 15-11-2003 07:30 AM

How do you kill a turtle?

Dave Smith wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>

> > Usually you are dealing with a snapper. You place a stick in front of
> > their face and they will snap and grab onto it, and NOT let go usually.
> >
> > You can then stretch out their neck and cut off their head with a pair
> > of poultry shears.

> Poultry shears? I have never seen poultry shears big enough for the one we killed. We used the
> stick to expend his neck and used an axe. We ruled out a hatchet, just in case he let go of the
> stick and went for the executioner. :-)

That'll work. ;-)

K.

Bob Pastorio 15-11-2003 07:49 AM

How do you kill a turtle?

Moosemeat wrote:

> I doubt if a snapping turtle could survive being run over by a caterpillar
> tractor (Large D-8 or bigger). Try dropping it on a land mine and if that
> doesn't do the job a direct hit at the waterline with an RPG might work.
> Another suggestion would be to take one up to eighteen or twenty thousand
> feet and using a Norton bomb sight, try to hit the tennis court behind the
> White House. If a direct hit isn't scored you might still bag somebody of
> importance who might be hanging around

Moosie, I'm disappointed that you could be so wrong. I mean, all these
years of looking up to you as perhaps the best source of reliable
information on usenet and then you say this.

It's a Norden bomb sight. I saw it in a black and white movie once.

HTH

Oh, the RPG is good if you're making a pate'.

Pastorio

zxcvbob 15-11-2003 07:49 AM

How do you kill a turtle?

Dave Smith wrote:

> Elena Nakashima wrote:
>

>>I personally like turtles too much to kill them. They are beautiful
>>animals

> My guess would be that you have never seen a big snapping turtle. Beautiful is the last word that
> I would describe their appearance, or their personality. They are nasty creatures. The only one I
> ever killed was the huge one that lived in our swimming hole.

They eat cute little baby ducks, you know...

Bob

Katra 15-11-2003 08:01 AM

How do you kill a turtle?

zxcvbob wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > Elena Nakashima wrote:
> >

> >>I personally like turtles too much to kill them. They are beautiful
> >>animals

> > My guess would be that you have never seen a big snapping turtle. Beautiful is the last word that
> > I would describe their appearance, or their personality. They are nasty creatures. The only one I
> > ever killed was the huge one that lived in our swimming hole.
> >

> They eat cute little baby ducks, you know...
>
> Bob

And baby swans in spring lake.....

Honestly tho', I'm not in the habit of killing animals just because they
are not appealing in appearance and personality, (except for those two
psychotic emu that'd try to kill anyone that cornered them). I've
removed rather large snappers and other turtles from the middle of the
road and tossed them back into the river. :-)

After my one experience with turtle meat, I've marked them off the menu.
They are not tasty enough to be worth the amount of work involved in
cleaning them.

Now wild crawfish on the other hand...... ;-d

K.

sf 15-11-2003 09:51 AM

What does turtle taste like?

Leja) wrote:

> And how do you eat it?

What kind of turtle are you asking about?

PENMART01 15-11-2003 10:08 AM

What does turtle taste like?

In article >, sf
> writes:

(Kenneth
>Leja) wrote:
>
>> And how do you eat it?

>What kind of turtle are you asking about?

I've eaten sea turtle, quite common in Belize. If one didn't know they'd be
hard pressed to discern a sea turtle stew from one made with beef chuck.

Katra 15-11-2003 10:19 AM

What does turtle taste like?

PENMART01 wrote:

> In article >, sf
> > writes:
>
> (Kenneth
> >Leja) wrote:
> >
> >> And how do you eat it?

> >What kind of turtle are you asking about?

> I've eaten sea turtle, quite common in Belize. If one didn't know they'd be
> hard pressed to discern a sea turtle stew from one made with beef chuck.
>
> Sheldon
> ````````````

Only ignorant morons consume endangered species...
I suppose you eat Humpback whale with a side of spotted owl too?

jmcquown 15-11-2003 02:02 PM

What does turtle taste like?

Katra wrote:
> Kenneth Leja wrote:
>>
>> And how do you eat it?

> Tastes like chicken of course...
>
> and you eat it very, very carefully. ;-)
>
> Ever seen a large snapping turtle?
> They are supposed to be some of the best eating.
>
> K.

Nutty question. But I've had Turtle Soup and it is absolutely delicious!

My father says the turtles his uncle caught down at the creek in
Pennsylvania back in the 1930's were snappers and they used those in turtle
soup. These days, I believe they are farmed turtles. Dad wants me to take
him to the Owen Brennan's Cafe for lunch the next time they visit so he can
have Turtle Soup :)

Jill

Katra 15-11-2003 07:03 PM

How do you kill a turtle?

BabyJane Hudson wrote:

> Just put it in a pot of boiling water as if it were a lobster. The
> turtle will survive the boiling for the first 20 minutes, so cook it
> about 25 minutes. Make sure you put it in head first or it will keep
> coming up for air. That happened once and I have to boil it for four
> hours before it died. I then pulled the head out and dipped it in
> butter and ate it. Much better tasting than I thought it would be. I
> did the same thing with its small tail. Even with butter, that was
> nice and crunchy.
>
> Good luck.
> BabyJane

U R 1 sick puppy......
Why don't you do this to yourself???

K.

AChrist787 15-11-2003 07:06 PM

What does turtle taste like?

>You fly to New Orleans (N'Awlins) and go to Brennan's and order the Turtle
>Soup (with a splash of sherry)...<

Or Commander's Palace, which is also owned by the Brennans. The turtle soup at
both places is supurb. Come to think about it, I wonder where they get the
turtle meat for their soup?

Anne

AAC/AAF/AFBV62.0844.AZ
http://www.tckworld.com/opfoot

The Michael 15-11-2003 08:35 PM

What does turtle taste like?

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:30:38 GMT, wrote:
>I had some many years ago, around the mid-50's. What I had is now a protected
>species (hawksbill turtle, aka carey). Does not taste like chicken at all,
>more like a gamy pork.

I believe it's similar to a blend of Armadillo and Wallaby.
--
Mike

Rick & Cyndi 15-11-2003 08:59 PM

What does turtle taste like?

:
: Or Commander's Palace, which is also owned by the Brennans.
The turtle soup at
: both places is supurb. Come to think about it, I wonder where
they get the
: turtle meat for their soup?
:
: Anne
========

Going slightly OT - my maternal G'ma is a "Brennan". I wonder if
we could be related...
--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Mike Pearce 16-11-2003 12:07 AM

What does turtle taste like?

"AChrist787" wrote in message

> >You fly to New Orleans (N'Awlins) and go to Brennan's and order the

Turtle
> >Soup (with a splash of sherry)...<

> Or Commander's Palace, which is also owned by the Brennans. The turtle

soup at
> both places is supurb. Come to think about it, I wonder where they get

the
> turtle meat for their soup?
>
> Anne

Or Mandinas which is a great restaurant with very good turtle soup at about
a third of the price

-Mike