levelwave

Default To Smoke or Not to Smoke: HAM

It looks like I'm in charge of the Ham this year... so instead of
running out to the local Honey Baked Ham (which seems to be the norm for
most of my relatives) I thought I'd press my luck by cooking it
myself... The only problem is ONE: I've never cooked a Ham before and
TWO: the Oven - it's going to be occupied all day long for the Turkey
and sides... so I'm thinking of firing up my parents Charcoal Smoker and
going at it by this route... Now I need a few suggestions and/or tips...

Is this just going to taste like typical pork BBQ? (not what I'm after)

What type of Ham to buy... cut - dry cured - wet cured?

I love Sweet Glazed Ham... is this plausible with a smoker?

How to prepare it and how long to smoke it...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

Steve Wertz

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:35:13 -0500, levelwave >
wrote:

>It looks like I'm in charge of the Ham this year... so instead of
>running out to the local Honey Baked Ham (which seems to be the norm for
>most of my relatives) I thought I'd press my luck by cooking it
>myself... The only problem is ONE: I've never cooked a Ham before and
>TWO: the Oven - it's going to be occupied all day long for the Turkey
>and sides... so I'm thinking of firing up my parents Charcoal Smoker and
>going at it by this route... Now I need a few suggestions and/or tips...
>
>Is this just going to taste like typical pork BBQ? (not what I'm after)
>
>What type of Ham to buy... cut - dry cured - wet cured?
>
>I love Sweet Glazed Ham... is this plausible with a smoker?
>
>How to prepare it and how long to smoke it...

First thing is to decide what kind of ham you're gonna buy:

Fresh Ham (unsmoked, uncured, raw pork)
Wet Cured, Ready-To-Cook (needs cooked)
Wet-Cured, Ready-To-Eat (already cooked - just needs reheating)
Dry Cured Genuine Smithfield Ham or Country Ham (not reccomended
unless you've done it before)

Only the first one would take to smoking, and be prepared to spend
8-10 hours to do it (more if you want traditional BBQ'd/pulled pork).
You can reheat or cook the second two kinds on a smoker at 325F or so.
No reason to add smoke, but you can if you'd like. It's already
smoked.

The later isn't even worth considering if you've never cooked a ham.
I would go with a wet-cured, "ready to cook" ham. Smithfield is my
favorite brand of this kind of ham. Even though it insists you cook
it, I often eat it raw. I can't do that with any other brand of
uncooked wet cured ham.

-sw
Charles Quinn

In article >, levelwave > wrote:
>It looks like I'm in charge of the Ham this year... so instead of
>running out to the local Honey Baked Ham (which seems to be the norm for
>most of my relatives) I thought I'd press my luck by cooking it
>myself... The only problem is ONE: I've never cooked a Ham before and
>TWO: the Oven - it's going to be occupied all day long for the Turkey
>and sides... so I'm thinking of firing up my parents Charcoal Smoker and
>going at it by this route... Now I need a few suggestions and/or tips...
>
>Is this just going to taste like typical pork BBQ? (not what I'm after)
>
>What type of Ham to buy... cut - dry cured - wet cured?
>
>I love Sweet Glazed Ham... is this plausible with a smoker?
>
>How to prepare it and how long to smoke it...

A pre-cooked ham is best, then the temp of the smoker is not critical. All you
are doing is flavoring and warming the ham. I have done the smoked ham thing
several times. My best advice is soak the chunks of wood for at least 24 hours
- 72 hours is better, more smoke, less burning of the chunks. Do use chunks
instead of chips. The more smoke the better tasting the ham.

--

Charles
Indifference = Consent

Charles Quinn wrote:

> In article >, levelwave > wrote:
> >It looks like I'm in charge of the Ham this year... so instead of
> >running out to the local Honey Baked Ham (which seems to be the norm for
> >most of my relatives) I thought I'd press my luck by cooking it
> >myself... The only problem is ONE: I've never cooked a Ham before and
> >TWO: the Oven - it's going to be occupied all day long for the Turkey
> >and sides... so I'm thinking of firing up my parents Charcoal Smoker and
> >going at it by this route... Now I need a few suggestions and/or tips...
> >
> >Is this just going to taste like typical pork BBQ? (not what I'm after)
> >
> >What type of Ham to buy... cut - dry cured - wet cured?
> >
> >I love Sweet Glazed Ham... is this plausible with a smoker?
> >
> >How to prepare it and how long to smoke it...

> A pre-cooked ham is best, then the temp of the smoker is not critical. All you
> are doing is flavoring and warming the ham. I have done the smoked ham thing
> several times. My best advice is soak the chunks of wood for at least 24 hours
> - 72 hours is better, more smoke, less burning of the chunks. Do use chunks
> instead of chips. The more smoke the better tasting the ham.

And way at the end (five or ten minutes) drop a tablespoonful or two of
oregano on the fire. Wonderful flavor. Don't overdo it...
levelwave

Charles Quinn wrote:

> A pre-cooked ham is best, then the temp of the smoker is not critical. All you
> are doing is flavoring and warming the ham. I have done the smoked ham thing
> several times. My best advice is soak the chunks of wood for at least 24 hours
> - 72 hours is better, more smoke, less burning of the chunks. Do use chunks
> instead of chips. The more smoke the better tasting the ham.

What about adding a Sweet Glaze to the Ham?... Is this a bad idea for
smoked meats?... if not, when should it be added?

~john!

Katra

Bubbabob wrote:

> Steve Wertz > wrote:
>

> > Only the first one would take to smoking, and be prepared to spend
> > 8-10 hours to do it (more if you want traditional BBQ'd/pulled pork).
> >

> You can't get traditional Q from a ham. It lacks sufficient connective
> tissue and the transformation of connective tissue to collagen that occurs
> at about 160F is responsible for much of the texture and flavor of pulled
> pork. You need to use a shoulder cut, either butt or picnic.

Or fresh pig head... They DO sell those around here and they are most
popular for Tamales. ;-) And the results are fantastic. Something about
that cheek meat.

K. (formerly Carnivore269)

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
levelwave

Bubbabob wrote:

> Soaked wood chunks give meat a nasty flavor. If your cooker has draft
> control that is so poor that the wood actually burns with an open flame,
> try wrapping the chunks in heavy tin foil with a few perforations. Works
> like a charm and avoids the wet ashes flavor that soaked chunks cause.

Hey Bob... I'll give you a dollar if you go back and answer my original
questions

~john!

....I need all the help I can get...

Jack Schidt®

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> Charles Quinn wrote:
>
> > A pre-cooked ham is best, then the temp of the smoker is not critical.

All you
> > are doing is flavoring and warming the ham. I have done the smoked ham

thing
> > several times. My best advice is soak the chunks of wood for at least 24

hours
> > - 72 hours is better, more smoke, less burning of the chunks. Do use

chunks
> > instead of chips. The more smoke the better tasting the ham.

> What about adding a Sweet Glaze to the Ham?... Is this a bad idea for
> smoked meats?... if not, when should it be added?
>
> ~john!

Add it at the end if you must glaze it. I'm not a glazer, but I've been an
accomodating host and have stooped to glazing ham and adding marshmallows to
yams and all the other crap you gotta do when you have certain people coming
over for dinner. Then they arrive late and are so stinking drunk they
wouldn't notice anyway, so I'm stuck with this shit food that I wouldn't
feed a dog. Honestly just leave me alone, dammit, I am so sick of people
and their trifling I'm gonna get up on a church steeple and bombard everone
I see with glazed ham and marshmallow yams. Come up here and get me, lousy
pigs! Eat glazed ham, copper! Top of the world, ma!!!

10-9-8-7-6-5...

You can put glaze on smoked meat, john. I've seen lotsa barbecue guys
putting what amounts to pancake syrup on their ribs, pulled pork, whatever.
It's a personal taste thang. Glaze at the end, sugar burns at higher
temps.

Jack Whitman

Steve Wertz

On 11 Nov 2003 13:07:12 -0600, Bubbabob
> wrote:

>Steve Wertz > wrote:
>

>> Only the first one would take to smoking, and be prepared to spend
>> 8-10 hours to do it (more if you want traditional BBQ'd/pulled pork).

>You can't get traditional Q from a ham. It lacks sufficient connective
>tissue and the transformation of connective tissue to collagen that occurs
>at about 160F is responsible for much of the texture and flavor of pulled
>pork. You need to use a shoulder cut, either butt or picnic.

A picnic *is* the upper part of a whole ham. Regarless, my comment
was mostly aimed at just cooking it as a roast in a smoker, not true
BBQ.

I' be willin to bet that I could smoke a shank half of ham and have it
turn out pretty good. Never tried it as I don't think I've ever seen a
fresh ham shank (that wasn't already made into ham).

-sw
Steve Wertz

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:11:22 -0600, Katra >
wrote:

>Or fresh pig head... They DO sell those around here and they are most
>popular for Tamales. ;-) And the results are fantastic. Something about
>that cheek meat.

Beef cheeks are excellent lightly smoked. I've never seen just pork
cheeks for sale, and buying a whole head seesm like overkill just for
the cheeks.

It is kinda weird seeing those whole pig heads in cryovac, staring up
at you from the meat case. That's one of the few things I've never
tried to cook. But there's still time.

-sw

Steve Wertz

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:17:29 -0500, levelwave >
wrote:

>Hey Bob... I'll give you a dollar if you go back and answer my original
>questions

Hrmpf. Where's *my* dollar? Lucky I don't charge you my going rate!

-sw
Reg

> On 11 Nov 2003 13:07:12 -0600, Bubbabob
> > wrote:

>>You can't get traditional Q from a ham.

What a tiresome topic. I don't like bickering over definitions, just
eating good food. Smoking ham properly results in some excellent food,
whatever you want to call it.

Steve Wertz wrote:

> I' be willin to bet that I could smoke a shank half of ham and have it
> turn out pretty good. Never tried it as I don't think I've ever seen a
> fresh ham shank (that wasn't already made into ham).

I've done this and it came out great. Don't be afraid to try it
if you get the chance.

Peter Aitken

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On 11 Nov 2003 13:07:12 -0600, Bubbabob
> > wrote:
>
> >Steve Wertz > wrote:
> >

> >> Only the first one would take to smoking, and be prepared to spend
> >> 8-10 hours to do it (more if you want traditional BBQ'd/pulled pork).

> >You can't get traditional Q from a ham. It lacks sufficient connective
> >tissue and the transformation of connective tissue to collagen that

occurs
> >at about 160F is responsible for much of the texture and flavor of pulled
> >pork. You need to use a shoulder cut, either butt or picnic.

> A picnic *is* the upper part of a whole ham. Regarless, my comment
> was mostly aimed at just cooking it as a roast in a smoker, not true
> BBQ.
>
> I' be willin to bet that I could smoke a shank half of ham and have it
> turn out pretty good. Never tried it as I don't think I've ever seen a
> fresh ham shank (that wasn't already made into ham).
>
> -sw

A picnic is part of the shoulder, not part of the ham.

--
Peter Aitken

Steve Wertz

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:01:21 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On 11 Nov 2003 13:07:12 -0600, Bubbabob
>> > wrote:

>> >You can't get traditional Q from a ham. It lacks sufficient connective
>> >tissue and the transformation of connective tissue to collagen that

>occurs
>> >at about 160F is responsible for much of the texture and flavor of pulled
>> >pork. You need to use a shoulder cut, either butt or picnic.

>> A picnic *is* the upper part of a whole ham. Regarless, my comment
>> was mostly aimed at just cooking it as a roast in a smoker, not true
>> BBQ.
>>
>> I' be willin to bet that I could smoke a shank half of ham and have it
>> turn out pretty good. Never tried it as I don't think I've ever seen a
>> fresh ham shank (that wasn't already made into ham).
>>
>> -sw

>A picnic is part of the shoulder, not part of the ham.

Yeah - OK. A ham is technically the back leg of a ham. The picnic
corresponds to what would be a ham of the front leg. Most of the
companies that make butt/shank ham, also make a picnic ham which is
where I got confused.

I knew something didn't sound right but it just didn't click.

-sw

Peter Aitken

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:01:21 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> >> On 11 Nov 2003 13:07:12 -0600, Bubbabob

pork).

> >occurs

pulled

> >> A picnic *is* the upper part of a whole ham. Regarless, my comment
> >> was mostly aimed at just cooking it as a roast in a smoker, not true
> >> BBQ.
> >>
> >> I' be willin to bet that I could smoke a shank half of ham and have it
> >> turn out pretty good. Never tried it as I don't think I've ever seen a
> >> fresh ham shank (that wasn't already made into ham).
> >>
> >> -sw

> >A picnic is part of the shoulder, not part of the ham.

> Yeah - OK. A ham is technically the back leg of a ham. The picnic
> corresponds to what would be a ham of the front leg. Most of the
> companies that make butt/shank ham, also make a picnic ham which is
> where I got confused.
>
> I knew something didn't sound right but it just didn't click.
>
> -sw

I am again amazed at the lengths people will go to to avoid admitting that
they were just plain wrong.

--
Peter Aitken

levelwave

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Hrmpf. Where's *my* dollar? Lucky I don't charge you my going rate!

Will you take 100 pennies?...

~john!

....broke

Steve Wertz

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:55:55 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>> Yeah - OK. A ham is technically the back leg of a ham. The picnic
>> corresponds to what would be a ham of the front leg. Most of the
>> companies that make butt/shank ham, also make a picnic ham which is
>> where I got confused.
>>
>> I knew something didn't sound right but it just didn't click.

>I am again amazed at the lengths people will go to to avoid admitting that
>they were just plain wrong.

I'm amazed at how somebody could not interpret that as a "yes, I was
wrong". I said it right there at the beginning, and implied it again
at the end. What the **** more do you want - A notarized admission of
being wrong VIA US Mail?

Most people wouldn't have said anything or continued to insist they're
right.

Sheesh. Talk about stuck-up.

-sw
Greg Zywicki

levelwave > wrote in message >...
> It looks like I'm in charge of the Ham this year... so instead of
> running out to the local Honey Baked Ham (which seems to be the norm for
> most of my relatives) I thought I'd press my luck by cooking it
> myself... The only problem is ONE: I've never cooked a Ham before and
> TWO: the Oven - it's going to be occupied all day long for the Turkey
> and sides... so I'm thinking of firing up my parents Charcoal Smoker and
> going at it by this route... Now I need a few suggestions and/or tips...
>
> Is this just going to taste like typical pork BBQ? (not what I'm after)
>
> What type of Ham to buy... cut - dry cured - wet cured?
>
> I love Sweet Glazed Ham... is this plausible with a smoker?
>
> How to prepare it and how long to smoke it...
>

> ~john!

Have you considered smoking the turkey and baking the ham?

Greg Zywicki
levelwave

Greg Zywicki wrote:

> Have you considered smoking the turkey and baking the ham?

That was my original plan until a family member said they were taking
over the Turkey... so I'm stuck with the Ham and no oven... If anyone
has any better suggestions of meats (besides pork) that would be a
better fit for a smoker please let me know...

~john!

Steve Wertz

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:01:47 -0500, levelwave >
wrote:

>Greg Zywicki wrote:
>
>> Have you considered smoking the turkey and baking the ham?

>That was my original plan until a family member said they were taking
>over the Turkey... so I'm stuck with the Ham and no oven... If anyone
>has any better suggestions of meats (besides pork) that would be a
>better fit for a smoker please let me know...

A prime rib roast would be ideal for a smoker. Cook at ~275 for ~5
hours for a 4 bone roast.

-sw
levelwave

Steve Wertz wrote:

> A prime rib roast would be ideal for a smoker. Cook at ~275 for ~5
> hours for a 4 bone roast.

Egggggggggggcelent!... Now let me ask you another question... Is a Prime
Rib Roast the same as a Standing Rib Roast? (aka Ribeyes)...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

Steve Wertz

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:02:03 -0500, levelwave >
wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>> A prime rib roast would be ideal for a smoker. Cook at ~275 for ~5
>> hours for a 4 bone roast.

>Egggggggggggcelent!... Now let me ask you another question... Is a Prime
>Rib Roast the same as a Standing Rib Roast? (aka Ribeyes)...

They are indeed one and the same. A standing rib roast implies that
its a bone-in roast,while a prime rib rib roast can be bone-in or
boneless. I usually go for a bone in roast unless there's a price
difference that doesn't justify paying for the bones (like the both
being the same price). Bone-in rib roast should be 13-20% cheaper and
bones don't weigh as much as meat.

-sw
Greg Zywicki

levelwave > wrote in message >...
> Greg Zywicki wrote:
>
> > Have you considered smoking the turkey and baking the ham?

> That was my original plan until a family member said they were taking
> over the Turkey... so I'm stuck with the Ham and no oven... If anyone
> has any better suggestions of meats (besides pork) that would be a
> better fit for a smoker please let me know...
>
> ~john!

Uhmmmm, More Turkey?

You could go ultra-traditional and do fish (ultratraditional, because
there would have been fish on the pilgrim's table.)

How about a nice Buffalo chuck? Do buffalos have chucks? Or venison
chuck.
Isn't connective tissue a plus with smoking?

Maybe a duck? A goose?

Greg Zywicki
Greg Zywicki

Steve Wertz > wrote in message >...
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:02:03 -0500, levelwave >
> wrote:
>
> >Steve Wertz wrote:
> >
> >> A prime rib roast would be ideal for a smoker. Cook at ~275 for ~5
> >> hours for a 4 bone roast.

> >Egggggggggggcelent!... Now let me ask you another question... Is a Prime
> >Rib Roast the same as a Standing Rib Roast? (aka Ribeyes)...

> They are indeed one and the same. A standing rib roast implies that
> its a bone-in roast,while a prime rib rib roast can be bone-in or
> boneless. I usually go for a bone in roast unless there's a price
> difference that doesn't justify paying for the bones (like the both
> being the same price). Bone-in rib roast should be 13-20% cheaper and
> bones don't weigh as much as meat.
>
> -sw

Does a standing rib come only from the however many last bones of the
beefer that prime rib connotes?

Greg Zywicki

up in smoke Aussie1[_2_] General Cooking 0 17-12-2010 10:21 PM
What do you smoke? Kent Barbecue 19 08-07-2006 02:18 PM
too much smoke Piedmont Barbecue 4 29-05-2005 03:22 AM
Need smoke Johnny Mc Barbecue 59 02-02-2005 11:58 PM
What to smoke for the first try Dirty Harry Barbecue 69 29-05-2004 04:33 PM