J.J. [aka j*ni]

Default Pork & Apple - Suggestions?

Found the following recipe at "Cooking By Numbers", where you input
what items you have on hand and get a recipe. It sounds good, but
maybe a bit bland. Any suggestions on how to jazz this up a bit?

http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/:

Pork and Apple - Serves 2

Ingredients

1 Apple
1 Onion
2 Pork steaks
1 tsp Olive Oil

Method

1. Slice the onion and fry it in the oil over a medium heat.
2. Add the pork steaks and cook for about three minutes each side.
3. Whilst they are cooking, peel and core the apple. Slice the apple
and add to the pan whilst the pork is cooking and cook for a few
minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Thanks in advance, all... :-)

--
J.J. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Arri London

"J.J. [aka j*ni]" wrote:

> Found the following recipe at "Cooking By Numbers", where you input
> what items you have on hand and get a recipe. It sounds good, but
> maybe a bit bland. Any suggestions on how to jazz this up a bit?
>
> http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/:
>
> Pork and Apple - Serves 2
>
> Ingredients
>
> 1 Apple
> 1 Onion
> 2 Pork steaks
> 1 tsp Olive Oil
>
> Method
>
> 1. Slice the onion and fry it in the oil over a medium heat.
> 2. Add the pork steaks and cook for about three minutes each side.
> 3. Whilst they are cooking, peel and core the apple. Slice the apple
> and add to the pan whilst the pork is cooking and cook for a few
> minutes.
> 4. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
>
> Thanks in advance, all... :-)
>
> --
> J.J. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~

When I make something like that, I use a tart cooking apple, never a
sweet one. That's from my German part of the family; any time fruit is
cooked with meat, it should be tart rather than sweet. Also the apple
would be fried apart from the meat, to ensure it gets brown and
caramelised.

The pork steaks can be seasoned in any way you choose really. Certainly
I'd use a bit of my homegrown chile powder.

A tiny sprinkle of clove and/or nutmeg would be good on the apple.

Deglaze the pan with a little white wine to add flavour, otherwise a bit
of water or stock.

But with good pork, good onions and the right apple, it's a nice dish as
is.
Dawn

J.J. [aka j*ni] wrote:

> Found the following recipe at "Cooking By Numbers", where you input
> what items you have on hand and get a recipe. It sounds good, but
> maybe a bit bland. Any suggestions on how to jazz this up a bit?

Garlic, rosemary, sage, marjoram -- any or all of those will add flavor.
You might use some chicken broth to make a little gravy out of the pan
drippings, too. Bacon is also good with pork. You could throw in
mushrooms if you got 'em.

Dawn

John Gaughan

J.J. [aka j*ni] wrote:
> Found the following recipe at "Cooking By Numbers", where you input
> what items you have on hand and get a recipe. It sounds good, but
> maybe a bit bland. Any suggestions on how to jazz this up a bit?

Try adding a little bit of fresh squeezed lemon or orange to the pork
when cooking it. As another poster said, use a tart apple, not sweet. Of
course, mushrooms enhance any meat dish. How about some sliced
portabellos fried with the rest?

Between the onion, apple, orange, lemon, pork, and mushrooms, it's a
circus, but I've had pork dishes very close to this and they tasted awesome.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Wayne Boatwright

John Gaughan > wrote in
:

> J.J. [aka j*ni] wrote:
>> Found the following recipe at "Cooking By Numbers", where you input
>> what items you have on hand and get a recipe. It sounds good, but
>> maybe a bit bland. Any suggestions on how to jazz this up a bit?

> Try adding a little bit of fresh squeezed lemon or orange to the pork
> when cooking it. As another poster said, use a tart apple, not sweet.
> Of course, mushrooms enhance any meat dish. How about some sliced
> portabellos fried with the rest?
>
> Between the onion, apple, orange, lemon, pork, and mushrooms, it's a
> circus, but I've had pork dishes very close to this and they tasted
> awesome.
>
> --
> John Gaughan
> http://www.johngaughan.net/

This may not sound good, but try adding a good "gob" of peanut butter to
the pan. It helps to naturally thicken the juices and adds a nice nutty
flavor to the onions and apples. It's really quite tasty.

Wayne

Jack Schidt®

"J.J. [aka j*ni]" > wrote in message
> Found the following recipe at "Cooking By Numbers", where you input
> what items you have on hand and get a recipe. It sounds good, but
> maybe a bit bland. Any suggestions on how to jazz this up a bit?
>
> http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/:
>
> Pork and Apple - Serves 2
>
> Ingredients
>
> 1 Apple
> 1 Onion
> 2 Pork steaks
> 1 tsp Olive Oil
>
> Method

<snip snip snip>

Where's the garlic??. The onions and apple add a lot of sweetness but you
need some balance, perhaps some salt, pepper and definitely garlic.

Jack Ajo

Anita Amaro

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
. com...

> "J.J. [aka j*ni]" > wrote in message
> > Found the following recipe at "Cooking By Numbers", where you input
> > what items you have on hand and get a recipe. It sounds good, but
> > maybe a bit bland. Any suggestions on how to jazz this up a bit?
> >
> > http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/:
> >
> > Pork and Apple - Serves 2
> >
> > Ingredients
> >
> > 1 Apple
> > 1 Onion
> > 2 Pork steaks
> > 1 tsp Olive Oil
> >
> > Method

> <snip snip snip>
>
> Where's the garlic??. The onions and apple add a lot of sweetness but you
> need some balance, perhaps some salt, pepper and definitely garlic.
>
> Jack Ajo

I'm making something similar tonight. I deglaze the pan with some balsamic
and reduce to make a sauce.

Anita

Dimitri

"J.J. [aka j*ni]" > wrote in message
> Found the following recipe at "Cooking By Numbers", where you input
> what items you have on hand and get a recipe. It sounds good, but
> maybe a bit bland. Any suggestions on how to jazz this up a bit?
>
> http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/:
>
> Pork and Apple - Serves 2
>
> Ingredients
>
> 1 Apple
> 1 Onion
> 2 Pork steaks
> 1 tsp Olive Oil
>
> Method
>
> 1. Slice the onion and fry it in the oil over a medium heat.
> 2. Add the pork steaks and cook for about three minutes each side.
> 3. Whilst they are cooking, peel and core the apple. Slice the apple
> and add to the pan whilst the pork is cooking and cook for a few
> minutes.
> 4. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
>
> Thanks in advance, all... :-)
>

> --
> J.J. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
> ..fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!

Whoops, you forget to deglaze the pan with some Apple Jack and then
finishing the sauce with some Dijon mustard and butter.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(J.J. [aka j*ni]) wrote:

> Found the following recipe at "Cooking By Numbers", where you input
> what items you have on hand and get a recipe. It sounds good, but
> maybe a bit bland. Any suggestions on how to jazz this up a bit?

http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/:

> Pork and Apple - Serves 2
>
> Ingredients
>
> 1 Apple
> 1 Onion
> 2 Pork steaks
> 1 tsp Olive Oil
>
> Method
>
> 1. Slice the onion and fry it in the oil over a medium heat.
> 2. Add the pork steaks and cook for about three minutes each side.
> 3. Whilst they are cooking, peel and core the apple. Slice the apple
> and add to the pan whilst the pork is cooking and cook for a few
> minutes.
> 4. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
>
> Thanks in advance, all... :-)

Jani, I think if the apples had some flavor, it would be fine as is.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Melba's Jammin'

In article > , "Jack
Schidt®" > wrote:

> "J.J. [aka j*ni]" > wrote in message
> > Found the following recipe at "Cooking By Numbers", where you input
> > what items you have on hand and get a recipe. It sounds good, but
> > maybe a bit bland. Any suggestions on how to jazz this up a bit?
> >
> > http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/:
> >
> > Pork and Apple - Serves 2
> >
> > Ingredients
> >
> > 1 Apple
> > 1 Onion
> > 2 Pork steaks
> > 1 tsp Olive Oil
> >
> > Method

> <snip snip snip>
>
> Where's the garlic??. The onions and apple add a lot of sweetness but you
> need some balance, perhaps some salt, pepper and definitely garlic.
>
> Jack Ajo

Garlic!?? Don't listen to him, Jani! Don't listen! He's trickin' ya.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

Peggy

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "J.J. [aka j*ni]" > wrote in message
>
>>Found the following recipe at "Cooking By Numbers", where you input
>>what items you have on hand and get a recipe. It sounds good, but
>>maybe a bit bland. Any suggestions on how to jazz this up a bit?
>>
>>http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/:
>>
>>Pork and Apple - Serves 2
>>
>>Ingredients
>>
>>1 Apple
>>1 Onion
>>2 Pork steaks
>>1 tsp Olive Oil
>>
>>Method

> <snip snip snip>
>
> Where's the garlic??. The onions and apple add a lot of sweetness but you
> need some balance, perhaps some salt, pepper and definitely garlic.
>
> Jack Ajo

.. . . and chile peppers!
Peg

Jack Schidt®

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> Garlic!?? Don't listen to him, Jani! Don't listen! He's trickin' ya.

Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. Garlic! The great and
powerful Garlic!!

Jack Oz

Jack Schidt®

"Peggy" > wrote in message
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
> > "J.J. [aka j*ni]" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Found the following recipe at "Cooking By Numbers", where you input
> >>what items you have on hand and get a recipe. It sounds good, but
> >>maybe a bit bland. Any suggestions on how to jazz this up a bit?
> >>
> >>http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/:
> >>
> >>Pork and Apple - Serves 2
> >>
> >>Ingredients
> >>
> >>1 Apple
> >>1 Onion
> >>2 Pork steaks
> >>1 tsp Olive Oil
> >>
> >>Method

> > <snip snip snip>
> >
> > Where's the garlic??. The onions and apple add a lot of sweetness but

you
> > need some balance, perhaps some salt, pepper and definitely garlic.
> >
> > Jack Ajo
> >

> . . . and chile peppers!
> Peg

You're right, she did say 'jazz it up'. Any chile is good with pork, from
green bell to the might habanero.

Jack Cap

Tara

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:12:17 GMT, (J.J.
[aka j*ni]) wrote:

>Found the following recipe at "Cooking By Numbers", where you input
>what items you have on hand and get a recipe. It sounds good, but
>maybe a bit bland. Any suggestions on how to jazz this up a bit?

http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/:

>Pork and Apple - Serves 2
>
>Ingredients
>
>1 Apple
>1 Onion
>2 Pork steaks
>1 tsp Olive Oil

When it's good, it's good. I'd leave it be after adding some salt and
pepper. If you want a little more, maybe try some curry powder.

Tara
J.J. [aka j*ni]

Hark! I heard "Jack Schidt®" > say:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > Garlic!?? Don't listen to him, Jani! Don't listen! He's trickin' ya.

> Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. Garlic! The great and
> powerful Garlic!!
>
> Jack Oz

"If I only had a bulb"...

--
J.J. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!

sf

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:38:07 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

> You're right, she did say 'jazz it up'. Any chile is good with pork, from
> green bell to the might habanero.
>
> Jack Cap

My daughter made the chili Colarado (with New Mexico chili)
recipe from November's Cooking Light. Mmmmm! The flavor
was VERY, very good and we used it in soft tacos.

Instead of in the oven - I would have cooked it on the
stovetop to make it REALLY fall apart, but that's my only
criticism.

:-)