Paige Miller

Default Salad Dressing Ideas??

Traditional salad dressing with oil and mayonnaise as a major component
disagree with my stomach.

Can someone provide recipes for salad dressing that don't use oil or
mayonnaise (or use a very very small amount of those items?)

Thanks in advance!

--
Paige Miller

http://home.rochester.rr.com/djpaige/blogger.html

It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

Jack Schidt®

"Paige Miller" > wrote in message
> Traditional salad dressing with oil and mayonnaise as a major component
> disagree with my stomach.
>
> Can someone provide recipes for salad dressing that don't use oil or
> mayonnaise (or use a very very small amount of those items?)

Balsamic vinegar and crumbled gorgonzola.
Look up 'vinaigrette' - there are many variations that I'm sure you'd like

Jack Essig

Dimitri

"Paige Miller" > wrote in message
> Traditional salad dressing with oil and mayonnaise as a major component
> disagree with my stomach.
>
> Can someone provide recipes for salad dressing that don't use oil or
> mayonnaise (or use a very very small amount of those items?)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Paige Miller

http://home.rochester.rr.com/djpaige/blogger.html

> It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
> If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
> I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

Sure.

Dimitri

1 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. grated cucumber
2 tbsp. minced green onions, white and green parts
1 tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
2 tsp. minced fresh parsley
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. dried dill weed
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl with a tight lid. Stir or shake
well. Refrigerate. Makes 1 1/4 cups.

# 1

2 c. cottage cheese
1 c. buttermilk
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt or 3/4 tsp. seasoned
salt

Sieve cottage cheese or mix in blender until smooth and creamy. Stir in
buttermilk, lemon juice, parsley and salt. Chill until ready to serve.
Makes 3 cups. Calories: 1 tablespoon = 17 calories. NOTE: Other flavors
may be substituted for salt (such as onion, garlic, celery).

# 2
1 c. buttermilk
1 tbsp. minced onion
1 tbsp. minced celery
2 tsp. chopped chives
1 tbsp. chili sauce
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. wine vinegar

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate overnight. Makes 1 1/4 cups.
Calories: 1 tablespoon = 15.

# 3 & 4

1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch mix
2 c. sour cream
2 c. buttermilk

2 c. uncreamed cottage cheese
1 c. buttermilk
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch mix

In blender combine cottage cheese until smooth. Add remaining ingredients.

The best one!

Juice of 1 fresh lemon

Pour over the salad and toss. Add salt, pepper & any other herbs you like.
Toss again. Eat!

K3

Dangit... now I can't wait 'til next Spring/Summer... always taking 9
long months to look foreword to what I love... Dandilion Greens... and
homegrown organic green t'maters from the window sill... topped with nuthin'
but a splash of fresh-sqeezed lemon juice and/or red-wine vinegar,
fresh-picked basil leaves, and cracked black pepper... You skip the olive
oil if 'ya want, but IMHO it's a must!!!

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

"Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!"

"Paige Miller" > wrote in message
> Traditional salad dressing with oil and mayonnaise as a major component
> disagree with my stomach.
>
> Can someone provide recipes for salad dressing that don't use oil or
> mayonnaise (or use a very very small amount of those items?)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Paige Miller

http://home.rochester.rr.com/djpaige/blogger.html

> It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
> If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
> I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

sf

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 14:40:45 GMT, Paige Miller
> wrote:

> Traditional salad dressing with oil and mayonnaise as a major component
> disagree with my stomach.
>
> Can someone provide recipes for salad dressing that don't use oil or
> mayonnaise (or use a very very small amount of those items?)

How much oil is too much?

HONEY MUSTARD DRESSING
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

5 tablespoons medium body honey (sourwood is nice)
3 tablespoons smooth Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
Serve as a dressing or a dip.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes

RASPBERRY VINAIGRETTE

In a small bowl, whisk together
3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon walnut oil (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Add salt and pepper to taste

Makes about 1/2 cup.

Paige Miller

On Stardate 11/9/2003 4:41 PM, the following keys were mysteriously
typed at sf's keyboard...

> On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 14:40:45 GMT, Paige Miller
> > wrote:
>
>> Traditional salad dressing with oil and mayonnaise as a major component
>> disagree with my stomach.
>>
>> Can someone provide recipes for salad dressing that don't use oil or
>> mayonnaise (or use a very very small amount of those items?)
>>

> How much oil is too much?

My feeling is that any olive oil is too much for me. A teaspoon of some
other type of oil may or may not be a problem. But your Honey Mustard
Dressing, along with several other suggestions made in this newsgroup is
something I'm definitely going to try.

--
Paige Miller

http://home.rochester.rr.com/djpaige/blogger.html

It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

Tara & Guy

Hi
My body doesn't care for too much oil either.
I use pepper and vinegar or lime juice, sometimes I add mandarin oranges
from a can and cranberries and a little of the OJ, I can use a little peanut
oil and some nuts. Or some cheese and sunflower seeds, or those new BBQ
flavored almonds.

Check diet recipes, they cut the fats for you. You might even be able to buy
light dressings you like.
Tara
Dennis G.

Paige Miller > wrote:

>Traditional salad dressing with oil and mayonnaise as a major component
>disagree with my stomach.
>
>Can someone provide recipes for salad dressing that don't use oil or
>mayonnaise (or use a very very small amount of those items?)
>
>Thanks in advance!

Golden Vally Brand Fruit Salsa!!!
Nathalie Chiva

Paige Miller a écrit :

> Can someone provide recipes for salad dressing that don't use oil or
> mayonnaise (or use a very very small amount of those items?)

1) Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, lemon juice, orange juice
2) Dijon mustard, a pinch of curry powder, salt, pepper, rice vinegar,
orange juice, sour cream
3) Soy sauce, rice vinegar, orange juice

Etc... You just play around with various vinegars, orange juice, sour cream
and various seasonings - it makes for really good dressings too.

Nathalie in Switzerland

alzelt

Nathalie Chiva wrote:

> Paige Miller a écrit :
>

>>Can someone provide recipes for salad dressing that don't use oil or
>>mayonnaise (or use a very very small amount of those items?)

> 1) Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, lemon juice, orange juice
> 2) Dijon mustard, a pinch of curry powder, salt, pepper, rice vinegar,
> orange juice, sour cream
> 3) Soy sauce, rice vinegar, orange juice
>
> Etc... You just play around with various vinegars, orange juice, sour cream
> and various seasonings - it makes for really good dressings too.
>
> Nathalie in Switzerland

And with the exception of the ones with sour cream, they make great
marinades and are really great on hot sliced potatoes.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Salad Dressing aem General Cooking 7 06-06-2009 10:09 PM
Ideas For Dressing Up Frozen Peas? Teresa General Cooking 21 23-12-2007 06:01 PM
Need salad dressing ideas? OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 39 18-02-2006 06:37 PM
Ideas for leftover cornbread dressing? jmcquown General Cooking 22 31-12-2005 11:37 PM
Jimmy Durante's Salad Dressing Salad 7Hawks Recipes 0 20-11-2004 10:02 PM