Jenn

Default 30-Minute Meals - Rachael Ray Cookbook Question

Hi All,
Does anyone have either of these cookbooks? If so, do you like them? I'm
thinking about buying them...

Jenn

Foxy Lady

"Jenn" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
> Does anyone have either of these cookbooks? If so, do you like them? I'm
> thinking about buying them...
>
> Jenn

Hi Jenn,

I got them from the library and read through them... they were pretty
good... but I'm not going to buy them until I can get them cheaper on ebay
or half.com... i copied what i liked for now and if i can, i'll get them
again in the future... it's what i always do before investing in something i
may or may not like.

If your library system has online access all you reed to do is go to the
catalog area and request it... they'll send you an e-mail when they have it
for you.

Happy reading!

Sandra

Darryl L. Pierce

Jenn wrote:

> Hi All,
> Does anyone have either of these cookbooks? If so, do you like them? I'm
> thinking about buying them...

I've seen them and they look interesting, but I'm loath to buy them for
myself. I can't be sure that I'm doing it for the content or because I have
a thing for the author <g>. At $30 I'd rather get them as a present than
buy them for myself, since then I wouldn't feel bad if I didn't use them as
much.

Now, if they show up at the used book store I frequent, I'll snatch them up
in a heartbeat.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

"Darryl L. Pierce" wrote:

> Jenn wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > Does anyone have either of these cookbooks? If so, do you like them? I'm
> > thinking about buying them...

> I've seen them and they look interesting, but I'm loath to buy them for
> myself. I can't be sure that I'm doing it for the content or because I have
> a thing for the author <g>. At $30 I'd rather get them as a present than
> buy them for myself, since then I wouldn't feel bad if I didn't use them as
> much.
>
> Now, if they show up at the used book store I frequent, I'll snatch them up
> in a heartbeat.
>
> --
> Darryl L. Pierce >
> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
> "What do you care what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"

She is cute...

She had a recipe for chicken breasts marinated in balsamic with fresh thyme
that I wrote down. When I went to buy thyme I could not find it but
substituted with oregano. Not the same, I know but the place I was at had a
very limited inventory of fresh herbs.

It was a very lucky substitution. It ended up tasting just plain wonderful.
When I finally got to do the original recipe I didn't find it as good.

Bert
Dawn

Foxy Lady wrote:

> I got them from the library and read through them... they were pretty
> good... but I'm not going to buy them until I can get them cheaper on ebay
> or half.com... i copied what i liked for now and if i can, i'll get them
> again in the future... it's what i always do before investing in something i
> may or may not like.

I read one at the bookstore. I thought the recipes and the menus were
pretty good -- like the show it's all basic, quick, tasty food -- but I
didn't see anything that compelled me to add it to my collection. These
days I have a pretty solid collection of core recipes and I take ideas
from cooking shows or internet recipes and adapt them to what I know
will work for my family.

I second the ILL approach to previewing the books. There's also the
recipes on foodtv.com if you are looking for something to sample before
spending money.

Dawn

Ariane Jenkins

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:16:49 GMT,
Darryl L. Pierce > wrote:

> Just a brief aside: I picked up a few flowerpots (about $2 each) at Walmart,
> filled them with potting soil, and bought about $6 worth of seeds for herbs
> (parsley, thyme, rosemary, dill). Except for the rosemary, they grew
> splendidly and I have fresh herbs when cooking. I dunno why the rosemary
> never flourished; I had one seed sprout and it never grew beyond 1 1/2".

[snip]

FWIW, rosemary grows pretty easily from a cutting. I just
snip off a piece, strip the leaves off the lower 1-1/2 inch of the
stem and stick it in some potting soil mix. Then water it and keep it
slightly damp for a while. Even without rooting hormone, it worked
pretty well, and I have a rosemary plant growing in the windowsill.
It also seems more tolerant of lower light and infrequent waterings
than some other herbs are.

Ariane
Nancy Young

"Darryl L. Pierce" wrote:

> Just a brief aside: I picked up a few flowerpots (about $2 each) at Walmart,
> filled them with potting soil, and bought about $6 worth of seeds for herbs
> (parsley, thyme, rosemary, dill). Except for the rosemary, they grew
> splendidly and I have fresh herbs when cooking. I dunno why the rosemary
> never flourished; I had one seed sprout and it never grew beyond 1 1/2".

If I was you, I would *definitely* just pick up a small plant from
the garden store. Never crossed my mind to grow it from seed.

nancy
Darryl L. Pierce

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Darryl L. Pierce" wrote:
>
>> Just a brief aside: I picked up a few flowerpots (about $2 each) at
>> Walmart, filled them with potting soil, and bought about $6 worth of
>> seeds for herbs (parsley, thyme, rosemary, dill). Except for the
>> rosemary, they grew splendidly and I have fresh herbs when cooking. I
>> dunno why the rosemary never flourished; I had one seed sprout and it
>> never grew beyond 1 1/2".

> If I was you, I would *definitely* just pick up a small plant from
> the garden store. Never crossed my mind to grow it from seed.

That's what I was thinking. But, before I get more, I'm going to have to
redo my kitchen a bit. Right now, I have the 4 pots sitting on a TV tray by
the kitchen window (which gets the most sunlight). When I can finally make
space on the counters for the pots, I'm going to grow a few more. Either
than, or finally break down and make a small greenhouse for them in the
yard.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Darryl L. Pierce

Ariane Jenkins wrote:

> FWIW, rosemary grows pretty easily from a cutting. I just
> snip off a piece, strip the leaves off the lower 1-1/2 inch of the
> stem and stick it in some potting soil mix. Then water it and keep it
> slightly damp for a while. Even without rooting hormone, it worked
> pretty well, and I have a rosemary plant growing in the windowsill.
> It also seems more tolerant of lower light and infrequent waterings
> than some other herbs are.

Sweet. Thanks for the tip. BTW, how many herbs do you grow yourself?

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

Ariane Jenkins

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:36:42 GMT,
Darryl L. Pierce > wrote:

> Sweet. Thanks for the tip. BTW, how many herbs do you grow yourself?

Not too many so far, and none indoors except rosemary...just
don't have the necessary amount of light. But outside, I have a
window box with sage, rosemary, chives, garlic chives and thyme. Last
year, I grew lots of basil, oregano, dill and French tarragon too, but
didn't get around to it this summer.

I hope in later years to put in a bigger in-ground herb garden
in the front yard, which gets more sun and has more room. There's
nothing like being able to harvest fresh herbs for your dinner!

Ariane

Jamies 15 Minute Meals S01E01 HDTV x264 C4TV.nzb (1/1) Bob O'Dyne General Cooking 0 23-10-2012 06:22 AM
FN - RR : 30 minute Meals / Episode TM1116 Steak Cryambers General Cooking 0 09-11-2005 01:43 PM
FN - RR : 30 minute Meals / Episode TM1116 Steak pix924 General Cooking 0 09-11-2005 04:59 AM
30 minute meals linda General Cooking 0 22-11-2004 01:46 PM
30 minute meals sf General Cooking 11 22-11-2004 04:41 AM