What to eat after oral surgery?

Old 07-11-2003, 06:20 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

Default What to eat after oral surgery?

Tomorrow I'm having several teeth extracted, affecting both sides of my
mouth. Apart from the obvious, milk shakes...puddings...soups, etc., what
would be a good choice of foods that don't require much if any chewing?

Recipes welcome, too!

TIA

Wayne
Old 07-11-2003, 06:24 AM
Seth Goodman
Usenet poster

In article ,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Tomorrow I'm having several teeth extracted, affecting both sides of my
mouth. Apart from the obvious, milk shakes...puddings...soups, etc., what
would be a good choice of foods that don't require much if any chewing?

Pancakes!

--
Seth Goodman
Old 07-11-2003, 06:28 AM
Janet Bostwick
Usenet poster

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
. ..
Tomorrow I'm having several teeth extracted, affecting both sides of my
mouth. Apart from the obvious, milk shakes...puddings...soups, etc., what
would be a good choice of foods that don't require much if any chewing?

Recipes welcome, too!

TIA

Wayne

Be careful of extremes of temperature--ouchy! Scrambled eggs, oatmeal,
tapioca, rice pilaf.
Janet

Old 07-11-2003, 06:56 AM
ScratchMonkey
Usenet poster

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
:

Tomorrow I'm having several teeth extracted, affecting both sides of
my mouth. Apart from the obvious, milk shakes...puddings...soups,
etc., what would be a good choice of foods that don't require much if
any chewing?

Cottage cheese.
Mac & Cheese (or any pasta dish with no hard ingredients).
PB&J, no crust, soft bread.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:16 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:20:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

Tomorrow I'm having several teeth extracted, affecting both sides of my
mouth. Apart from the obvious, milk shakes...puddings...soups, etc., what
would be a good choice of foods that don't require much if any chewing?

Recipes welcome, too!

TIA

Wayne

Aw jeeze, man, you have my deepest sympathies. As a guy who once
broke a tooth on sushi and who has had four root canals and one
retrofill (I'm a posterboy at the Univ of Pitt dental school), I can
sympathize with your plight.

I made soup for D when oral sugery had her down last time.

Here's one I made up and posted a while back.

4 medium red potatoes, diced
3 poblano chiles, seeded, cored, roasted, and diced
3 shallots, diced
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
Chicken stock (enough of it)
3 tablespoons olive oil (or more)
1 cup half and half (or more)
salt and pepper

In a large pot, sweat the shallots in oil, add the potatoes and cook a
few minutes, letting some of them just begin to brown. Add the
garlic, being careful not to burn it. Add chicken stock to the pot
and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Core the poblanos and
roast them on a gas burner till the skins char. Put them in a plastic
bag and let them steam while the potatoes cook. After the peppers
have cooled, peel off the charred skins and dice. Add them to the
soup. Check the potatoes for doneness, and add the half and half.
Return to a simmer. Salt and pepper to taste.

This is another post from my wife's time under the oral surgeon's
knife:

I made a nice cream of asparagus soup for Donna after her root canal.
There's no recipe, but it involved poaching aparagus in stock (misc
veg, as I recall) and blending before adding cream (yogurt would work)
and some soft blanched asparagus spears for garnish.

Be well. Your mouth heals faster than almost any other part of your
body. Or so I'm told.

modom
Old 07-11-2003, 08:07 AM
Chris Lemon
Usenet poster

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message

Tomorrow I'm having several teeth extracted, affecting both sides of
my mouth. Apart from the obvious, milk shakes...puddings...soups,
etc., what would be a good choice of foods that don't require much if
any chewing?

When I had my wisdoms out, I pretty much survived on Nalley's canned Chicken
& Noodle Dinner, augmented with instant mashed potatoes. Not food for the
first day (actually the first day you prolly won't want anything remotely
extreme in temperature), but in a day or so you'll be ready.

(I don't wanna hear it, folks. He's gonna be in no shape to cook, and
besides, I _like_ instant potatoes! )

Do make sure you get a cleaning syringe, though, because amazing amounts of
food get stuck in the little holes that the teeth once occupied...you'll be
cleaning and saying "when did I eat an entire roast beef?"
--
Chris Lemon

http://fredsmythe.com
EFNet: FredSmyth

Old 07-11-2003, 12:30 PM
Z GIRL
Usenet poster

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
. ..
Tomorrow I'm having several teeth extracted, affecting both sides of my
mouth. Apart from the obvious, milk shakes...puddings...soups, etc., what
would be a good choice of foods that don't require much if any chewing?

Recipes welcome, too!

TIA

Wayne

You wont be able to eat the first day. Liquids only and not through a straw
and No smoking, if you smoke. Some food choices are rice, mashed potatoes,
eggs, grits/cream of wheat and of course, Ice cream. Take small bites as
your mouth will be sore. Get a lot of rest after and best wishes to you
Wayne ;-)

peace,
Barbara

Old 07-11-2003, 02:54 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

Wayne Boatwright writes:

Tomorrow I'm having several teeth extracted, affecting both sides of my
mouth. Apart from the obvious, milk shakes...puddings...soups, etc., what
would be a good choice of foods that don't require much if any chewing?

More important than chewing is to refrain from sucking... really, no soda
straws.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 07-11-2003, 03:29 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
. ..
Tomorrow I'm having several teeth extracted, affecting both sides of my
mouth. Apart from the obvious, milk shakes...puddings...soups, etc., what
would be a good choice of foods that don't require much if any chewing?

Recipes welcome, too!

TIA

Wayne

Have you considered asking your dentist to do one side now and the other
side in a week or 2? In any case, some suggestions:

- Mashed spuds
- Polenta
- Souffles
- Omelets

--
Peter Aitken

Old 07-11-2003, 03:36 PM
A.T. Hagan

wrote:

Tomorrow I'm having several teeth extracted, affecting both sides of my
mouth. Apart from the obvious, milk shakes...puddings...soups, etc., what
would be a good choice of foods that don't require much if any chewing?

Recipes welcome, too!

TIA

Wayne

Some years ago I had a particularly difficult wisdom tooth extraction.
I probably won't remember everything, but for the week or so it took
to heal up enough to eat solid foods again I ate:

Oatmeal, grits, soups without really large chunky bits, chowders the
same, mashed potatoes, potted meat (the last time I ever ate that),
noodles (swallowed whole), mashed winter squash, thoroughly cooked
summer squash, melted cheese (this one proved difficult), broth, fruit
smoothies with yogurt or powdered milk, yogurt, and kefir.

There's more that I'm sure I'm forgetting it. I used it as an excuse
to try a lot of things.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Dimitri
Usenet poster

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
. ..
Tomorrow I'm having several teeth extracted, affecting both sides of my
mouth. Apart from the obvious, milk shakes...puddings...soups, etc., what
would be a good choice of foods that don't require much if any chewing?

Recipes welcome, too!

TIA

Wayne

Any hearty canned soup you like even the chunky ones - they are so
overcooked all the vegetables turn to mush anyway.

Milk toast
Tea and toast
French Toast - no crust made from thick bread
Scrambled eggs
Cottage cheese
Make tuna or chicken salad in a food processor
Jell-O
Chilled consume with lemon (very nice and semi gelatinous and the cool feels
good)

Good Luck

Dimitri

Old 07-11-2003, 04:06 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Tomorrow I'm having several teeth extracted, affecting both sides of my
mouth. Apart from the obvious, milk shakes...puddings...soups, etc., what
would be a good choice of foods that don't require much if any chewing?

Eat a hearty meal before the surgery. After I had dental surgery years ago, I found
the best thing was to place a tea bag on my tongue and hold it gently against the
sutures. Tea leaves have a healing property and they help the blood coagulate more
effectively. This idea was given to me by the doctor who did the surgery. Before you
undergo the surgery, you should certainly talk about your dietary needs with the
oral surgeon to see what he or she recommends.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:49 PM
j*ni p.
Usenet poster

Hark! I heard Wayne Boatwright say:

Tomorrow I'm having several teeth extracted, affecting both sides of my
mouth. Apart from the obvious, milk shakes...puddings...soups, etc., what
would be a good choice of foods that don't require much if any chewing?

Scrambled eggs!! Hubby had me making them like crazy, it was the
one thing that tasted good to him and was easy to eat. I didn't eat
much the day after I had my wisdom teeth out, as general anesthesia
usually makes me barfy for at 12-24 hours...

--
j*ni p. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Old 07-11-2003, 07:09 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

(j*ni p.) writes:

Scrambled eggs!! Hubby had me making them like crazy

Whassamatter, he's a cripple, or a friggin' wuss whut can't scramble his own
eggs... spoilt brat, sheesh... hmm, maybe you're the friggin' wuss.