CM

Default Turkey Stuffing

$1.00 and a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope to this address

P.O. box 5044
Phila. Pa. 19111

will get you a delicious family (mine) turkey stuffing recipe.
Proceeds will go to feed 19 hungry cats through the winter. Must be
RECEIVED by 11-20 to be in time for Thanksgiving.
$5.00 and no envelope will get you a booklet of 15 delicious family
recipes you won't find ANYWHERE else.

Dad's Sloppy Burgers
" Crab Cakes
" Italian style casserole
Mom's Macaroni and Cheese
" Fried Chicken
" Chili Con Carne
Aunt K.'s sponge cake and lots more!
Puester

CM wrote:

> $1.00 and a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope to this address
>
> P.O. box 5044
> Phila. Pa. 19111
>
> will get you a delicious family (mine) turkey stuffing recipe.

Here's one for free:

1 pkg. Pepperidge Farm seasoned bread crumbs
1 pkg. Jimmy Dean hot sausage
1/4 c. butter
1/2 to 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 lge. onion, diced
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
1 or 2 sweet-tart apples, peeled and diced
1 cup pecans
chicken broth
Bell's seasoning or other poultry seasoning
(My sister in law adds oysters to this but
my family prefers it without. You could also
add dried fruit--apricots, prunes, golden raisins,
etc. which have been soaked to plump up.)

Sauté sausage, drain and set aside.
Melt butter (or use sausage fat if you prefer) in a skillet,
sauté mushrooms, onion and celery till tender. Add apples,
crumbs and pecans with enough broth to moisten. Add poultry
seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Pack lightly into a
greased casserole. Refrigerate until ready to bake.

gloria p
Becca

They are all good, but being from the south, I serve cornbread
dressing at Thanksgiving.

Here are a few recipes; Cornbread Dressing, Cornbread & Venison
Dressing, Apple Pecan Cornbread Dressing, Heloise's Cornbread
Dressing.

Becca

Cornbread Dressing

1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cornmeal
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
4 teaspoons sugar
Salt to taste
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups whole milk or 1 cup milk and 1 cup water
3 cups chopped onion
3 cups chopped celery
1/2 pound unsalted butter (16 tablespoons), divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 to 1 cup fresh sage, chopped
Ground black pepper to taste
3 cups turkey stock

To make cornbread , heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat
vegetable oil in 9-by-13-inch metal baking pan in oven until
very hot. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking
powder, sugar and salt. Stir in eggs and milk; then pour hot
oil into batter and mix. Pour into the pan; bake 20 to 25
minutes or until golden.

To make the dressing, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
Crumble cornbread into a large bowl. Saute onion and celery in
12 tablespoons butter and the olive oil until soft; add to
cornbread. Add sage, salt and pepper to cornbread mixture;
place in a 9-by-12-inch glass baking dish.
Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter; drizzle over cornbread .
Spoon turkey stock over cornbread . (Dish can be prepared a day
or two in advance up to this point. Refrigerate, then bring to
room temperature before baking.) Cover with foil, and bake 20
minutes; remove foil, and bake another 10 minutes, until
brown. If dressing seems too dry, drizzle with more stock and
butter. Makes 12 to 14 servings.

Cornbread and Venison Dressing

4 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
4 garlic cloves, diced
2 cups turkey or chicken stock, more if needed
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
8 cups day-old cornbread , cubed
2 eggs
2 cups cooked and diced venison sausage

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in stock pot;
saute onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic just until tender.
Add stock, thyme, sage and parsley. Remove pot from heat; add
cornbread and eggs until cornbread soaks up liquid. Add more
stock if mixture is still dry. Fold in venison sausage.
Transfer to lightly greased casserole or baking pan. Bake 30
minutes, or until top is golden brown. Makes 10 to 12
servings.

Apple Pecan Cornbread Dressing

1 (16 ounce) package dry cornbread mix
1 (8 ounce) container herb-seasoned dry bread stuffing mix
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3 /4 cup butter
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups chopped apples
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 cups apple juice
3 eggs, beaten

Prepare cornbread according to package directions;
cool and crumble. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a
3 -quart casserole dish. In a large bowl, combine cornbread,
stuffing mix, parsley, salt and ginger.

In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and saute celery and onion 8
to 10 minutes or until tender. Add to cornbread mixture; mix
well. Stir in apples, pecans, apple juice and eggs. Toss
lightly. Spoon dressing into prepared casserole. Bake 30 to 35
minutes. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Heloise's Cornbread Dressing

1 cup broth (see note)
6 to 8 slices stale bread, torn into pieces
1 1/2 cups packed crumbled corn bread
1 stick butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup to 1 cup chopped onion
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 tablespoon dried sage, crumbled

In a large bowl, pour broth over bread pieces and corn
bread. Heat butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat.
Saute celery and onion until tender. Add them to bread mixture
along with eggs, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and sage. Mix
well.

Note: Make broth by cooking turkey giblets and neck in
water with seasonings of choice. You may also use canned
chicken broth or chicken bouillon.
Dressing also may be cooked separately from turkey. To cook
separately, place in a buttered casserole and bake at 350
degrees 30 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
Dimitri

"Puester" > wrote in message
> CM wrote:
> >
> > $1.00 and a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope to this address
> >
> > P.O. box 5044
> > Phila. Pa. 19111
> >
> > will get you a delicious family (mine) turkey stuffing recipe.

> Here's one for free:
>
> 1 pkg. Pepperidge Farm seasoned bread crumbs
> 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean hot sausage
> 1/4 c. butter
> 1/2 to 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
> 1 lge. onion, diced
> 2-3 celery stalks, chopped
> 1 or 2 sweet-tart apples, peeled and diced
> 1 cup pecans
> chicken broth
> Bell's seasoning or other poultry seasoning
> (My sister in law adds oysters to this but
> my family prefers it without. You could also
> add dried fruit--apricots, prunes, golden raisins,
> etc. which have been soaked to plump up.)
>
> Sauté sausage, drain and set aside.
> Melt butter (or use sausage fat if you prefer) in a skillet,
> sauté mushrooms, onion and celery till tender. Add apples,
> crumbs and pecans with enough broth to moisten. Add poultry
> seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Pack lightly into a
> greased casserole. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
>
> gloria p

More for free

Dimitri

Cornbread.
1/4 c. chopped onions
1/4 c. butter
6 c. soft bread crumbs
1 1/2 tbsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 c. boiling water
1 tsp. salt
Optional, 1 c. chopped cooked chestnuts

Brown onions in butter. Add bread crumbs, salt and poultry seasoning. Add
a few grains of black pepper. Add water and mix well. Will stuff a 5 pound
chicken.

Oyster

3/4 c. chopped onion
1 1/2 c. chopped celery
2 tbsp. butter/margarine
9 c. dry bread cubes or Pepperidge
Farms
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. crushed sage leaves
1 tsp. thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. chopped parsley
2 (8 oz.) cans standard oysters,
chopped
2 eggs
1 3/4 c. oyster liquid and milk

In large pan, melt butter or margarine. Cook and stir onion and celery
until tender but not brown. Add bread cubes, seasonings and mix. Stir in
chopped oysters. Beat eggs into oyster liquid and milk. Add liquid
gradually and toss lightly to evenly coat. Makes enough stuffing for a
12-14 pound turkey.

sf

Mmmmm! That's a keeper! I make something similar w/o meat,
oysters and dried fruit.

`````````````````````

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:19:37 GMT, Puester
> wrote:
>
> 1 pkg. Pepperidge Farm seasoned bread crumbs
> 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean hot sausage
> 1/4 c. butter
> 1/2 to 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
> 1 lge. onion, diced
> 2-3 celery stalks, chopped
> 1 or 2 sweet-tart apples, peeled and diced
> 1 cup pecans
> chicken broth
> Bell's seasoning or other poultry seasoning
> (My sister in law adds oysters to this but
> my family prefers it without. You could also
> add dried fruit--apricots, prunes, golden raisins,
> etc. which have been soaked to plump up.)
>
> Sauté sausage, drain and set aside.
> Melt butter (or use sausage fat if you prefer) in a skillet,
> sauté mushrooms, onion and celery till tender. Add apples,
> crumbs and pecans with enough broth to moisten. Add poultry
> seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Pack lightly into a
> greased casserole. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
>
> gloria p

sf

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:39:33 GMT, "Dimitri"
> wrote:

> More for free
>
> Dimitri
>

> Cornbread.
> 1/4 c. chopped onions
> 1/4 c. butter

(I use a more generous amount of both)
> 6 c. soft bread crumbs
> 1 1/2 tbsp. poultry seasoning
> 1/4 c. boiling water

(I use broth)
> 1 tsp. salt
> Optional, 1 c. chopped cooked chestnuts

I use WATER chestnuts... which gives it some crunch.
;-)

> Brown onions in butter. Add bread crumbs, salt and poultry seasoning. Add
> a few grains of black pepper. Add water and mix well. Will stuff a 5 pound
> chicken.

Mark Shaw

Stuffing is Evil.

Don't you people watch Good Eats?

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"Grown men are not comfortable explaining why they want to use the sniper
Becca

> Stuffing is Evil.
>
> Don't you people watch Good Eats?

No.

Thanks for the recipes everybody!

Becca
Jason Tinling

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
news
> More for free
>
> Dimitri
>

> Cornbread.
> 1/4 c. chopped onions
> 1/4 c. butter
> 6 c. cornbread crumbs
> 1 1/2 tbsp. poultry seasoning
> 1/4 c. boiling water
> 1 tsp. salt
> Optional, 1 c. chopped cooked chestnuts
>
> Brown onions in butter. Add bread crumbs, salt and poultry seasoning.

Add
> a few grains of black pepper. Add water and mix well. Will stuff a 5

pound
> chicken.

Replace the chestnuts wth some pecans, and add some golden rasins and choped
apple. Dee-lish

Jason

Mark Shaw

Becca > wrote:
> > Stuffing is Evil.
> >
> > Don't you people watch Good Eats?

> No.

> Thanks for the recipes everybody!

No, seriously: you run a good risk of poisoning your guests if
you stuff a turkey and then don't get it cooked all the way
through. (And if you *do* get it cooked all the way through,
the turkey will be quite overdone.)

I like stuffing, myself, but I don't stick it in the bird -- I
bake it in a casserole. Just as good, and nobody ends up talking
to Ralph York in Europe on the porcelain telephone!

--
Mark Shaw anti-spam: change 'bang' to 'not' to email me
"This time I think the Americans are serious. Bush is not like Clinton.
Dimitri

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> Becca > wrote:
> > > Stuffing is Evil.
> > >
> > > Don't you people watch Good Eats?

> > No.

> > Thanks for the recipes everybody!

> No, seriously: you run a good risk of poisoning your guests if
> you stuff a turkey and then don't get it cooked all the way
> through. (And if you *do* get it cooked all the way through,
> the turkey will be quite overdone.)
>
> I like stuffing, myself, but I don't stick it in the bird -- I
> bake it in a casserole. Just as good, and nobody ends up talking
> to Ralph York in Europe on the porcelain telephone!
>
> --
> Mark Shaw

Not 100% true or butterball woulf pull the following:

www.butterball.com

http://www.butterball.com/en/main_ca...Qs&s0=faqs&s1=

Generations of Americans have been enjoying turkeys -- stuffed and
unstuffed. Whether you choose to stuff your turkey or cook stuffing in a
casserole dish is a matter of personal preference. As with any preparation
involving raw food ingredients, it is important to carefully follow proper
food safety and handling procedures to ensure a safe turkey every time. For
consumers who choose to stuff their turkey, we recommend the following five
guidelines.

Prepare stuffing just before placing in turkey. Use only cooked ingredients
in stuffing -- sauté vegetables, use only cooked meats and seafood
(oysters), and use pasteurized egg products instead of raw eggs.

Place prepared stuffing in turkey just before roasting. Do not stuff the
turkey the night before roasting.

Stuff both neck and body cavities of completely thawed turkey, allowing 1/2
to 3/4 cup of stuffing per pound of turkey. Do not pack stuffing tightly in
turkey.

Return legs to original tucked position, if untucked for rinsing or
stuffing.

Use a cook method that allows the stuffing to cook along with the turkey. Do
not stuff turkeys when cooking on an outdoor grill or water smoker or when
using fast cook methods where the turkey gets done before the stuffing. If
you do not have a meat thermometer to measure the internal temperature of
the stuffing in the turkey, the stuffing should be cooked seperately from
the turkey.

j*ni p.

Hark! I heard "Dimitri" > say:

<snip>

Thanks for the recipes, Dimitri! I'm doing turkey for Christmas
at my house this year, and my father loves oyster stuffing. The
rest of us like plain dressing (bread cubes, broth, butter, onion,
and celery), but I'll just bake that in a casserole dish, which is
how I prefer it anyway...

--
j*ni p. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Rick & Cyndi

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
: Becca > wrote:
: > > Stuffing is Evil.
: > >
: > > Don't you people watch Good Eats?
:
: > No.
:
: > Thanks for the recipes everybody!
:
: No, seriously: you run a good risk of poisoning your guests if
: you stuff a turkey and then don't get it cooked all the way
: through. (And if you *do* get it cooked all the way through,
: the turkey will be quite overdone.)
:
: I like stuffing, myself, but I don't stick it in the bird -- I
: bake it in a casserole. Just as good, and nobody ends up
talking
: to Ralph York in Europe on the porcelain telephone!
:
: --
: Mark Shaw
==========

I haven't encountered that problem when I roast a turkey in a
Cooking Bag.

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Mark Shaw

Rick & Cyndi > wrote:

> I haven't encountered that problem when I roast a turkey in a
> Cooking Bag.

But the turkey comes out the consistency of pot roast, doesn't it?

--
Mark "at least it did the time I tried it" Shaw
"This time I think the Americans are serious. Bush is not like Clinton.
I think this is the end." - Uday Hussein, April 2003

Mpoconnor7

Last year I stumbled upon a good ingredient for stuffing/dressing: Pretzel
logs. I was making stuffing and needed another bag of dried bread stuffing
cubes, and instead of running out to the store, I had a bag of those bite size
pretzel logs in the cabinet and mixed a couple cups of pretzels in with the
stuffing.cubes. It turned out pretty good. The pretzels are dry and
breadlike, and absorbed the liquid along with the bread cubes.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
Rick & Cyndi

"Mark Shaw" & Cyndi wrote:
:
: > I haven't encountered that problem when I roast a turkey in a
: > Cooking Bag.
:
: But the turkey comes out the consistency of pot roast, doesn't
it?
:
: --
: Mark "at least it did the time I tried it" Shaw
--------------

Which means what?

Mine comes out falling off of the bone tender and juicy.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Mark Shaw

In article <wLZqb.102842$275.290544@attbi_s53>,
"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote:
>"Mark Shaw" & Cyndi wrote:
>:
>: > I haven't encountered that problem when I roast a turkey in a
>: > Cooking Bag.
>:
>: But the turkey comes out the consistency of pot roast, doesn't
>it?
>: --
>: Mark "at least it did the time I tried it" Shaw
>
>Which means what?

Stringy and mushy. Maybe I roasted it too long.

>Mine comes out falling off of the bone tender and juicy.

Mine was certainly juicy. Not much character, though.

Since then I've used Alton's method. Not stuffed, of course.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"How can any culture that has more lawyers

About Turkey Stuffing Kent General Cooking 14 24-11-2006 07:43 AM
Out of Turkey Stuffing dancertm General Cooking 27 07-10-2006 08:27 PM
Turkey Stuffing Julie Bove Diabetic 13 16-11-2005 05:13 PM
Oyster stuffing for Turkey Carnivore269 General Cooking 6 11-11-2003 08:18 AM
Turkey Stuffing CM Historic 0 06-11-2003 10:34 PM