Melba's Jammin'

Default A giggle

Surfing for info to help Dino (new poster) and ran across this:
"Here at Cooking Italian Food.com you will find gourmet recipes and
cookbooks for preparing authentic Italian and Mexican food. . . . "
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> Surfing for info to help Dino (new poster) and ran across this:
> "Here at Cooking Italian Food.com you will find gourmet recipes and
> cookbooks for preparing authentic Italian and Mexican food. . . . "

That reminds me of a little lesson I learned a few years
ago. Never order barbecue at an Ialian restaurant. Some
friends and I went to dinner at a popular pizza place one
Friday after we played wolleyball. I had to be the odd man
out by not ordering any pizza. Instead, I ordered the special
of the day: barbecued chicken and ribs. Blech! The chicken
was a boneless skinless chicken breast pounded down thin and
slatered with a sweet barbecue sauce after been pan fried.
The ribs were stringy and tasteless. Never again!

Carmen Dioxide

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> Surfing for info to help Dino (new poster) and ran across this:
> "Here at Cooking Italian Food.com you will find gourmet recipes and
> cookbooks for preparing authentic Italian and Mexican food. . . . "

There's a restaurant on Cape Cod MA called Mexitaly. It offers both
cuisines. So I don't think what you posted is that unusual. ;-)
sf

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 07:56:10 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> Surfing for info to help Dino (new poster) and ran across this:
> "Here at Cooking Italian Food.com you will find gourmet recipes and
> cookbooks for preparing authentic Italian and Mexican food. . . . "

You could be looking at a site inspired by a husband/wife
team or maybe it's the heritage of a single person.

I have one student who is Nicaraguan, Chinese & English,
another is European (lots of countries)/US, Filipino and
Black... heck, my grandson is a mix of European (yes, more
than one country)/US, Filipino, Mexican and Canadian
(org. Scotland).
maxine in ri

Carmen Dioxide wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> > Surfing for info to help Dino (new poster) and ran across this:
> > "Here at Cooking Italian Food.com you will find gourmet recipes and
> > cookbooks for preparing authentic Italian and Mexican food. . . . "

> There's a restaurant on Cape Cod MA called Mexitaly. It offers both
> cuisines. So I don't think what you posted is that unusual. ;-)

And my DH recalls a Cuban-Chinese restaurant in NYC from his
misspent youth.

maxine in ri

maxine in ri wrote:

> Carmen Dioxide wrote:
> >
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> > > Surfing for info to help Dino (new poster) and ran across this:
> > > "Here at Cooking Italian Food.com you will find gourmet recipes and
> > > cookbooks for preparing authentic Italian and Mexican food. . . . "

> > There's a restaurant on Cape Cod MA called Mexitaly. It offers both
> > cuisines. So I don't think what you posted is that unusual. ;-)

> And my DH recalls a Cuban-Chinese restaurant in NYC from his
> misspent youth.
>
> maxine in ri

There was a very large Chinese community in Cuba BC. I remember going to "La
Plaza" to "La casa de los chinos" and getting a large plate of shark fin soup
for under 50 cents. 75 with a side of fried rice. Not bad for the budget of a
university student away from home.

After '59 this chinese community migrated North to the US. You still can find
Cuban-Chinese restaurants in Miami by simply looking in the yellow pages. They
advertise just that way. You can also tell by looking at the menu and finding
fried ripe plantains as one of the dishes.

The same for the Spanish community. My favorite restaurant was across from the
large park "Parque Central" across from Capitol called "El Castillo de
Farnes". They had the most wonderful filet mignon I have ever eaten. I used to
go there with my father when he was in town and he always had "pisto manchego"
but without the shrimp he was alergic to. And we shared either a "caldo
Gallego" or a "fabada Asturiana".

I better stop, I am getting hungry...
Margaret Suran

maxine in ri wrote:

> Carmen Dioxide wrote:
> >
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> > > Surfing for info to help Dino (new poster) and ran across this:
> > > "Here at Cooking Italian Food.com you will find gourmet recipes and
> > > cookbooks for preparing authentic Italian and Mexican food. . . . "

> > There's a restaurant on Cape Cod MA called Mexitaly. It offers both
> > cuisines. So I don't think what you posted is that unusual. ;-)

> And my DH recalls a Cuban-Chinese restaurant in NYC from his
> misspent youth.
>
> maxine in ri

There still are such combinations of cuisines in New York City.

Flor de Mayo, Chinese-Peruvian, so popular, it opened a second place

Asia de Cuba, Asian-Cuban and one of the most popular restaurants here

SushiSamba, Japanese-Brazilian, another one on the "Most Popular" list

In every neighborhood there are Mama/Papa places that feature odd
combinations, according to the ever shifting ethnic population. The
Pizza/Sushi place downtown is gone now, the rent became too high, I
guess, but to me, it was one of the most bizarre combinations.