toddjb

Default Ever try this PRIME RIB method?

I'm making a prime rib tomorrow and came across the below recipe.
I wanted to know if anyone has tried it?

I have cooked a prime rib once before by a more traditional method
(450 for 20 minutes or so and then 350 for 90 minutes).
Also, I won't be able to put this in until 4:00 or so, for a 7:00 dinner,
so I don't have time for the all day version of this recipe (leave it
in all day, turn the oven back on 30 minutes before serving).

Let me know what you think, if you're tried this before, and if you
have ANY tips for cooking a 6-7 lb boneless prime rib! Any information
you can pass one would make this important dinner for 6 more enjoyable.

Thanks!

-todd

************** found in a 1998 r.f.c post *************
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

Title: Rare Prime Rib
Categories: Meats
Yield: 16 servings

12 lb Prime rib roast
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste

Remove roast from the refrigerator ast least two hours before
beginning to cook. Place in a shallow roasting pan and liberally
sprinkle fatty top with salt and pepper. Pat in. To protect the oven
from spattering fat, place a tent of aluminum foil loosely over the
top of the meat. Preheat the oven to 500*F and when preheated place
roast in oven and roast for the times listed below. THE TIMES MUST
ABE ADHERED TO EXACTLY. Set a timer to remind you as a few minutes of
overcooking will ruin the roast. When the cooking time ends, turn off
the oven but DO NOT open the door. Allow the roast to remain in the
oven for at least 1 hour or until the oven is luke warm, which occurs
in about 2 hours. The roast will be beautifully rare inside and
retain a crunchy outside and an internal heat suitable for serving
for 2 hours. The roasting time works out to 15 minutes per rib or
approximately 5 minutes per pound. NOTES: 1. For a 2 rib roast
weighing 41/2 -5 lbs. allow 25 to 30 minutes at 500*F
2. For a 3 rib roast weighing 8-9 lbs. allow 40-45 minutes at
500*F
3. For a 4 rib roast weighing 11-12 lbs. allow 55-60 minutes at
500*F
4. Have your butcher prepare the roast by removing the chine
bone and cutting the meat from the bones. Then return the chine bone
and the meat to its original shape and tie the roast to hold it
together. This will facilitate your carving.
5. A small end Prime rib is always the best.

MMMMM
pavane

"toddjb" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm making a prime rib tomorrow and came across the below recipe.
> I wanted to know if anyone has tried it?
>
> I have cooked a prime rib once before by a more traditional method
> (450 for 20 minutes or so and then 350 for 90 minutes).
> Also, I won't be able to put this in until 4:00 or so, for a 7:00 dinner,
> so I don't have time for the all day version of this recipe (leave it
> in all day, turn the oven back on 30 minutes before serving).
>
> Let me know what you think, if you're tried this before, and if you
> have ANY tips for cooking a 6-7 lb boneless prime rib! Any information
> you can pass one would make this important dinner for 6 more enjoyable.

I have done this many times, it works quite well. Modify the
instructions to leave the oven on 5 minutes per pound for rare,
5.5 min per pound for medium rare. Do not open the oven door
for two hours after you turn off the heat.

Two minor problems: 1) This will cause a lot of smoke from the
oven; if you are having company it could be a problem. 2) Prepare
to lose a fair amount of the beef to shrinkage due to the high heat,
really no big deal but don't cut the amount too close. Additionally
the oven will be as the recipe says "lukewarm" when the roast is
ready so you cannot do things like roasted potatoes or Yorkshire
pudding unless you have a second oven. The drippings from the
roast may well scorch and be unusable for gravy; if you need this
sort of thing make some in advance with another recipe. About
every other time I make this the smoke detector goes off, another
possible distraction for important guests.

pavane

Sylvia

Your recipe is rather close to my favorite recipe, which (with my
comments and those of others who have tried it) follows:

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

Title: Leave Me Alone Roast Beast
Categories: Company, Beef, Favorite, Lamb
Yield: 8 servings

4 lb Roast of beef
Cooking oil

Preheat oven [MANDATORY] to 500 F. (Yes, five hundred.) Make sure
oven reaches the full 500 F before proceeding. Coat outside of meat
with oil, be sure and coat ALL exposed parts, in creases, everywhere.
Put in cooking pan, I like one which has a grate so that the meat
doesn't sit in the juices. Cook boneless roast at 500 F for 5
minutes per pound for extremely rare, 7 minutes/lb for very rare.
For bone-in roast, use 8 minutes/lb for medium-rare.

Turn off oven. DO NOT OPEN DOOR. Go away, leave it alone for...oh
overnight, or at least several hours. You may use almost any size
roast, following the minutes/pound rule. You may also use pork, or
probably any other "roast" you wish.

Joan's comments: I thought this was very strange the first time I
heard about it, but in the South, it's the only way you can have a
roast in the summer (if you don't have air conditioning). It doesn't
spoil sitting in the oven overnight. It doesn't burn by the high
heat. BTW: my child always calls it "Roast Beast" instead of "Roast
Beef", you should see the looks he gets in a restaurant. <G>

Comments from Donald McIntire (72632,1240): With regard to others'
questions about the rate of cool-down, I checked when I did my roast.
With an ambient temperature of about 72 F in the kitchen, one hour
after I turned the gas oven off, the temperature in the oven was
about 220 F. (I have an oven thermometer which I can see through the
door.) At two hours, it was about 175 F and at three hours it was
below 100 F.

From: Joan Mershon Date: 12/10/93
The Lunatic Fringe Bbs (901) F-Cooking

Brought to you by MMCONV and www.SteigerFamily.com: Oh my stars!
<burp> I used a ribeye roast and let it sit about 4 hours after
turning the oven off. It was deliciously very rare, just like I like
it. I used a 4 lb ribeye roast, and generously sprinkled with salt
and pepper after coating it with oil. I served it with Yorkshire
pudding and horseradish sauce and fresh steamed cauliflower and we
all ate WAY too much. Another time, when I bought the roast at 4:30
and wanted to serve it that night, I gave it an extra 2 minutes/lb
and only let it sit 1/2 hour. Definitely tastier if you let it sit
for hours, but it was still delicious. I also used this to roast a
leg of lamb. It was "semi-boneless" which I think was a terrible
misnomer, there was a BIG leg bone through the middle, so I gave it
10 minutes/lb and it was a nice medium-rare.

MMMMM

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Peter Aitken

"toddjb" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm making a prime rib tomorrow and came across the below recipe.
> I wanted to know if anyone has tried it?
>
> I have cooked a prime rib once before by a more traditional method
> (450 for 20 minutes or so and then 350 for 90 minutes).
> Also, I won't be able to put this in until 4:00 or so, for a 7:00 dinner,
> so I don't have time for the all day version of this recipe (leave it
> in all day, turn the oven back on 30 minutes before serving).
>
> Let me know what you think, if you're tried this before, and if you
> have ANY tips for cooking a 6-7 lb boneless prime rib! Any information
> you can pass one would make this important dinner for 6 more enjoyable.
>
> Thanks!

<snipped>

By far the best prime rib cooking technique I have seen is to brown the meat
on the stovetop and then finish it in a low oven. You get a lovely brown
crust and meat that is cooked evenly, not well done on the outside and rare
in the middle. It's very easy too.

1) Heat oven to 225f. Put rack in low position.
2) Remove meat from fridge 2 hours before cooking. Tie, pat dry with paper
towels.
3) Heat the roasting pan on the top of the stove and brown the roast on all
sides - 6 to 8 minutes.
4) Salt and pepper the roast. Put a rack in the pan and the roast on the
rack.
5) Into oven for about 25-30 minutes per pound. Internal temp will be 130
for medium rare.

PS: Leave those bones in! Not as easy to carve but much tastier.

--
Peter Aitken

toddjb

Steve Wertz > wrote in message >...

> Best to just cook it at 500F for 20-25 minutes, the lower the temp to
> 230-240 until the meat thermometer reads 132-135. That is the *only*
> way to cook prime rib reliably in any given oven.
>
> -sw

Thanks, Steve.

What is the rough minutes per pound if cooked at this temperature?
(235ish)

It sounds great and I am a firm believer in slow cooking...but I do need
to get this 6 pounder on the table by 7:00 and can't put it in until 4:00.

-todd
toddjb

"pavane" > wrote in message om>...

> Two minor problems: 1) This will cause a lot of smoke from the
> oven; if you are having company it could be a problem. ...
>
> pavane

Wow, thanks for that tip, pavane.

I do have a lot of smoke detectors and they are overly sensitive.
(and my kitchen fan is high up, noisy, and not that efficient.

So, maybe for this meal I'll stick to a more tradional method.

But I *really* want to try this slow cooking some time. It sounds great!

-todd
pavane

"toddjb" > wrote in message
om...
> "pavane" > wrote in message

om>...

> > Two minor problems: 1) This will cause a lot of smoke from the
> > oven; if you are having company it could be a problem. ...
> >
> > pavane

> Wow, thanks for that tip, pavane.
>
> I do have a lot of smoke detectors and they are overly sensitive.
> (and my kitchen fan is high up, noisy, and not that efficient.
>
> So, maybe for this meal I'll stick to a more tradional method.
>
> But I *really* want to try this slow cooking some time. It sounds great!

I think you should give it a try...just be ready to vent your cooking area
if you get a lot of smoke (this depends upon how well your oven is
insulated, among other things...if you have a self-cleaning oven you
should have minimal problem) and the smoke will happen in the first
half-hour of cooking (when the "beast" is in the hot oven) so you have
time to recover from it.

Historical background, btw, is that this technique, and a similar one
for leg of lamb, was first published to a mass audience by Craig Claiborne
in his "The New New York Times Cookbook" which came out in 1975
and he credits it to Ann Seranne, a less well known food person in the
New York scene.

As far as the questions of reliability, I have used this many times and
as long as you err on the conservative side you should do beautifully.
Of course do NOT let the roast sit overnight or you are inviting
all sorts of interesting bacterial growth. The only other caution is to
let the roast come as close as you can to room temp before you start
the cooking. For a good medium rare just take the roast out of the
fridge as soon as you get home, then preheat the oven to 500 or more,
calculate your cooking time (6 pounds needs 33 minutes heat on) and
put it in 2 hours and 33 minutes before you want to serve it. Because
of the extensive set-up time in the cooling oven you will not have to
let the roast rest at all before carving it.

pavane

toddjb

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message .com>...

> PS: Leave those bones in! Not as easy to carve but much tastier.

Is the time per pound the same for boned and boneless?

Bought my meat this afternoon (boneless prime rib @7.99/lb.) and they
also had a Standing Rib Roast (looked like the same thing but with
big bone) for $4.99/lb. That's just FYI, I suppose. Good price?
Amish market meat, by the way. Which is usually very good.

-todd
Nancy Young

toddjb wrote:

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message .com>...
>

> > PS: Leave those bones in! Not as easy to carve but much tastier.

> Is the time per pound the same for boned and boneless?
>
> Bought my meat this afternoon (boneless prime rib @7.99/lb.) and they
> also had a Standing Rib Roast (looked like the same thing but with
> big bone) for $4.99/lb. That's just FYI, I suppose. Good price?
> Amish market meat, by the way. Which is usually very good.
>
> -todd

Good price either way, but I cringed that you got the boneless.

nancy

toddjb

Nancy Young > wrote in message >...

> Good price either way, but I cringed that you got the boneless.
>
> nancy

yeah, i'll have to try it next time.

i've cooked/handeled a boneless before, but never w/ bone.

i'll try that next!
Nancy Young

toddjb wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote in message >...
>

> > Good price either way, but I cringed that you got the boneless.
> >
> > nancy

> yeah, i'll have to try it next time.
>
> i've cooked/handeled a boneless before, but never w/ bone.
>
> i'll try that next!

(smile) Then make beef stock with the roasted bones.

nancy
Peter Aitken

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> toddjb wrote:
> >
> > Nancy Young > wrote in message

> > > Good price either way, but I cringed that you got the boneless.
> > >
> > > nancy

> > yeah, i'll have to try it next time.
> >
> > i've cooked/handeled a boneless before, but never w/ bone.
> >
> > i'll try that next!

> (smile) Then make beef stock with the roasted bones.
>
> nancy

Or better yet, make deviled bones. I do not recall the exact recipe, but
there's a way to take leftover prime rib bones, coat them with mustard,
some spices, and perhaps some breadcrumbs, and bake them. Wonderful to gnaw
on. Given the price of good prime rib I want to use every part of it that I
can.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"toddjb" > wrote in message
om...
> (toddjb) wrote in message

. com>...
> > I'm making a prime rib tomorrow and came across the below recipe.
> > I wanted to know if anyone has tried it?
> >

> Made it tonight, so how did it turn out?
> It was GREAT!!!!
>
> Seriously, this was a good cut of meat and it came out restaurant grade or
> better than some places I've had prime rib. It really had a great flavor
> on the outside and the inside was tender, juicy and a _perfect_ medium

rare.

> They asked for the recipe, had seconds, all in all a great meal.
> I'll do it again.
>

> Now, what do I change if I use a standing rib roast? I guess nothing
> except buy a larger piece (lbs.) to compensate for the weight lost to
> bone.
>
> Is this also technically a prime rib once I cut it up and serve it?
> The nice thing about the boneless, when I looked at the cross section
> in the meat case it looked exactly like a prime rib slice I'd order out.
> So, I knew what I was getting. Just wondering if the standing rib roast
> will be the same quality and look when served.
>
> Either way I'd recommend the recipe to anyone who wants to try it.
> The boneless was easy, tasted great, very easy to prep and serve.
> I had a thermometer in the meat and one on the oven shelf just to
> monitor things, but you don't need it. Cooked to the directions.

Perfect!
> Thanks again,
>
> -todd

Now you have got *me* jonesing for a prime rib! Haven't had one since last
Xmas.

--
Peter Aitken

Steve Wertz

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:15:12 GMT, "pavane"
> wrote:

>It actually never was a "prime rib" unless it came from USDA Prime
>beef

We;ve been through this a few dozen times. It's a prime rib roast
regardless of the USDA grade. The "prime" in prime rib refers to the
"primal" cut of meat, not the USDA grade.

-sw
pavane

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:15:12 GMT, "pavane"
> > wrote:
>
> >It actually never was a "prime rib" unless it came from USDA Prime
> >beef

> We;ve been through this a few dozen times. It's a prime rib roast
> regardless of the USDA grade. The "prime" in prime rib refers to the
> "primal" cut of meat, not the USDA grade.

Boy, thanks, Steve, you really know what you are talking about.

pavane

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5400.html :
Wholesale Cuts-Sometimes referred to as primal cuts, there are 10 wholesale
cuts from the beef carcass. Five are considered major-chuck, rib, short
loin, loin end and round; five are considered minor-shank, brisket, plate,
flank and kidney knob.

http://www.pgabeef.com/primal%20cut.htm :
A primal cuts is a larger section of a carcass from which retail cuts are
made. For example, the "check", a primal cut, is the shoulder portion of a
beef carcass, from which retail cuts from the shoulder are made.

http://www.mycustompak.com/healthNot.../Beef_Cuts.htm :
Most beef found in the grocery store comes from steers, castrated males
raised especially for the table. As it is marketed at the wholesale level,
beef is divided into eight wholesale or primal cuts. Retailers select from
these, and then process primal cuts into retail cuts, those available to
consumers in the meat department of grocery stores. Meat labels bear the
names of both the primal and retail cut.

http://www.victoriapacking.com/beefinfo.html :
The quartered carcass is then further reduced into the primal cuts and the
sub primal and fabricated cuts. The primal cuts of beef are the chuck,
brisket and shank, rib, short plate, short loin, sirloin, flank and round.
It is important to know the location of bones when cutting or working with
meats. This makes meat fabrication and carving easier and aids in
identifying cuts. An entire beef carcass can range in weight from 500 to
more than 800 pounds (225-360 kg).

etcetera etcetera etcetera...

Steve Wertz

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:17:45 GMT, "pavane"
> wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:15:12 GMT, "pavane"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >It actually never was a "prime rib" unless it came from USDA Prime
>> >beef

>> We;ve been through this a few dozen times. It's a prime rib roast
>> regardless of the USDA grade. The "prime" in prime rib refers to the
>> "primal" cut of meat, not the USDA grade.
>>

>Boy, thanks, Steve, you really know what you are talking about.

<snip links>

Yes, I do. What was point of posting all those links? If you want,
you can follow me around and re-inforince everything I say.

-sw
pavane

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:17:45 GMT, "pavane"
> > wrote:
>
> >Boy, thanks, Steve, you really know what you are talking about.

> Yes, I do. What was point of posting all those links? If you want,
> you can follow me around and re-inforince everything I say.

*Sigh* Yeah, you really don't get it, do you? Well look, just re-read
the stuff and you will see it eventually. It will sort of "re-inforince"
your
verbiage.

pavane

Steve Wertz

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 03:09:23 GMT, "pavane"
> wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:17:45 GMT, "pavane"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Boy, thanks, Steve, you really know what you are talking about.

>> Yes, I do. What was point of posting all those links? If you want,
>> you can follow me around and re-inforince everything I say.
>>

>*Sigh* Yeah, you really don't get it, do you? Well look, just re-read
>the stuff and you will see it eventually. It will sort of "re-inforince"
>your
>verbiage.

Uh-huh. Yeah.

-sw