Right Across Left Hook Combo

Default What is that sweet black cream inside japanese buns?

It's pretty good and I heard it's bean paste. But what bean is it from
and how do you make it?
Musashi

"Right Across Left Hook Combo" > wrote in
message om...
> It's pretty good and I heard it's bean paste. But what bean is it from
> and how do you make it?

That is called Anko made from Japanese Red Beans.
I think mostly beans and sugar.

Dimitri

"Right Across Left Hook Combo" > wrote in
message om...
> It's pretty good and I heard it's bean paste. But what bean is it from
> and how do you make it?

Here you go.

Dimtiri

Adzuki sweet bean paste

http://www.fatfree.com/archive/2001/mar/msg00007.html

Subject: Adzuki sweet bean paste

I love adzuki beans. What a healthy dessert when you make sweet bean paste!
(Any red bean works in sweet bean paste, but adzukis seem to have a more
refined texture and more subtle flavor. They can substitute in so many
recipes where dates, jams, other beans, other fillings etc etc are featured.
I often make sweet bean paste to have on hand; it keeps for weeks in the
fridge. I'll use it in dumplings, popovers, balls, pastries, cookies. I
don't have any RECIPES , I just experiment and throw it in, tasting all the
way. See next post for the bean cookies formerly posted by someone from
this list. Its a very quick, healthy treat, good for breakfast too. When I
have adzukis or the bean paste I use them instead of white beans.

But here's how to cook them, and the recipe for Sweet Bean Paste:

How to cook adzukis
1.Rinse
2.triple volume cold water
3.boil one minute, cover pan, remove from heat
4.stand two hours or more
5.drain save water and add fresh water OR use same water for vitamin
and minerals: boil gently til done -

Sweet Red Bean Paste

Cook beans:
Simmer boiled azuki beans and 1/2 amount of sugar
over low heat with a pinch of salt, stirring frequently, until it
becomes thick and glossy. (1/4 t xanthum gum is not necessary but
miraculous here).

For thick & chunky bean paste, mash the
beans with a wooden spoon to obtain the texture you like. For very
smooth paste, puree it with a handblender, or toss it in a blender
or food processor.

Musashi

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> "Right Across Left Hook Combo" > wrote in
> message om...
> > It's pretty good and I heard it's bean paste. But what bean is it from
> > and how do you make it?

> Here you go.
>
> Dimtiri
>
> Adzuki sweet bean paste
>
> http://www.fatfree.com/archive/2001/mar/msg00007.html
>
> Subject: Adzuki sweet bean paste

The Red Beans in their natural state are called Azuki / Adzuki.
Once made into a paste it is called Anko, sometime called An when in
a combination word.
You can have rough with pieces or finely ground smooth (koshi-An)

Arri London

Right Across Left Hook Combo wrote:

> It's pretty good and I heard it's bean paste. But what bean is it from
> and how do you make it?

It's made from red beans, sugar and sometimes fat.

Scott Reynolds

On 11/6/2003 3:04 AM, Musashi wrote:

> "Right Across Left Hook Combo" > wrote in
> message om...
>
>>It's pretty good and I heard it's bean paste. But what bean is it from
>>and how do you make it?

> That is called Anko made from Japanese Red Beans.
> I think mostly beans and sugar.

Unless it's the other type of "buns" he's thinking about.

In that case its called "unko."

Scott Reynolds
Musashi

"Scott Reynolds" > wrote in message
> On 11/6/2003 3:04 AM, Musashi wrote:
>
> > "Right Across Left Hook Combo" > wrote in
> > message om...
> >
> >>It's pretty good and I heard it's bean paste. But what bean is it from
> >>and how do you make it?

> > That is called Anko made from Japanese Red Beans.
> > I think mostly beans and sugar.

> Unless it's the other type of "buns" he's thinking about.
>
> In that case its called "unko."

LOL. I can appreciate this kind of humor.

Kaz

"Musashi" > wrote in message . com>...
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > "Right Across Left Hook Combo" > wrote in
> > message om...
> > > It's pretty good and I heard it's bean paste. But what bean is it from
> > > and how do you make it?

> > Here you go.
> >
> > Dimtiri
> >
> > Adzuki sweet bean paste
> >
> > http://www.fatfree.com/archive/2001/mar/msg00007.html
> >
> > Subject: Adzuki sweet bean paste

> The Red Beans in their natural state are called Azuki / Adzuki.
> Once made into a paste it is called Anko, sometime called An when in
> a combination word.
> You can have rough with pieces or finely ground smooth (koshi-An)

Glad that Anko has got the civil rights.
Kajikit

Right Across Left Hook Combo saw Sally selling seashells by the
seashore and told us all about it on 5 Nov 2003 09:55:32 -0800:

>It's pretty good and I heard it's bean paste. But what bean is it from
>and how do you make it?

You can buy various kinds of bean paste in tins in Asian grocers. It's
probably easier than making it yourself, but AFAIK it's only
much-cooked-beans and sugar... I bought some red bean paste once and
made little pastries that were delicious.

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com