Default Recipe for Unimix or Other Nutritionally Complete Food?

Hi,

I read about a food called "Unimix" which is supposed to be
nutritionally complete, and was wondering if anyone had a recipe for
it. Alternatively, if anyone has a recipe for some other
nutritionally complete food (like bars of some sort that I can eat day
in or day out) or even places where I can buy such a food, I would
greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

> There is no such thing as one nutritionally complete food. (I have a
> PhD in nutrition.) The whole idea is to consume a variety of foods
> containing protein, carbohydrates, beneficial fats, vitamins, minerals,
> and a host of phytochemicals. Those who advocate a "one food for all"
> are just trying to get you to part with your money. Save your money and
> learn how to cook and/or take a nutrition course at a community college
> to learn how to eat right.

By "food" I didn't mean a single food item, but a "dish" -- many foods
rolled into one nice package. However, I read that sunflower seeds
were nutritionally complete except for Vitamin C. Any truth to that?

For example, if one can find a set of foods that one can live years
off of, and then find a tasty way to combine them to form a convenient
bar or kibble, then that would qualify as a "nutritionaly complete
food" (based on how I use the term).

I found an ingredient list for Unimix that I varied and turned into a
recipe. The result was a corn-bread which I proudly (and
plagaristically) call "Soylent Yellow: Formulation M". Here's the
recipe:

Soylent Yellow: Formulation M
-----------------------------
5 parts corn meal
3 parts bean flour (I used lentil/pea flour)
1 part sugar
1 part oil
dash of salt
enough milk to form a thick batter

Mix and place in a greased dish (thin layer -- no more than 1/8 - 1/4
inch thick) and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I also made a variation -- Formulation D, which involves eliminating
the oil and using enough milk to form a sticky dough. This leads to a
drier result which isn't as tasty, but may be more textually pleasing
to some palattes. Drying it out may lead to a crunchy variant which
may further appeal to other palletes.

Perhaps this isn't "nutritionally complete", but I hope it gives you
an idea of what I'm aiming at. I have protein, I have carbs, I have
B12, I have calcium, I have iodide, fiber, ...

> Cindy

Thanks.

> >I read about a food called "Unimix" which is supposed to be
> >nutritionally complete, and was wondering if anyone had a recipe for
> >it. Alternatively, if anyone has a recipe for some other
> >nutritionally complete food (like bars of some sort that I can eat day
> >in or day out) or even places where I can buy such a food, I would
> >greatly appreciate it.

> I can find no reference to "unimix" that refers to a food substance.

Do a google search for "Unimix food" (without the quotes) and you will
receive many hits. Disregard the first few, and you'll see articles
that mention it in passing as a famine relief food.

> Perhaps you're thinking of Soylent Green.

Funny you should say that; I'm calling my Unimix attempts "Soylent".
I'd like a recipe for Soylent -- not the "real" thing, but either
something that resembles what's in the movie, or the one mentioned in
the novel ("Make Room! Make Room!") which was a SOYbean LENTil patty.

Thanks.
Frogleg

On 5 Nov 2003 10:07:41 -0800, wrote:

>> >I read about a food called "Unimix" which is supposed to be
>> >nutritionally complete, and was wondering if anyone had a recipe for
>> >it. Alternatively, if anyone has a recipe for some other
>> >nutritionally complete food (like bars of some sort that I can eat day
>> >in or day out) or even places where I can buy such a food, I would
>> >greatly appreciate it.

>> I can find no reference to "unimix" that refers to a food substance.

>Do a google search for "Unimix food" (without the quotes) and you will
>receive many hits. Disregard the first few, and you'll see articles
>that mention it in passing as a famine relief food.

Well, blow me down. "Unimix" didn't turn up anything food-related on
the first couple of pages and I gave up.

Adding the qualifier yielded quite a few hits on a food material
developed by Roche of Switzerland which appears to be a high-protein
fortified flour used as a food *supplement* in emergency situations.
It's *not* a complete food or a complete diet.

A "recipe" for UNIMIX is a contradiction in terms. If you believe it
to be a complete nutritional program, then surely all you have to do
is spoon it out and swallow. Various diet foods and nutritional
substitutes for Real Food exist -- sugar, water, protein powder, and
vitamins. UNIMIX is probably Boost without the water.

If you're interested enough to query a cooking group, why not consider
cooking Real Food? People don't eat kibble -- goats eat kibble. There
is no human "cuisine" based on a basic mix of nutritional absolutes.
In desperate situations, supplements may need to be supplied, but
flour, cooking oil, and vitamin pills aren't food for life.

One of my brothers had a housemate who decided unheated cans of
condensed soup were adequate for human life, and bought a case to
sustain him over a busy week. A youthful constitution can survive just
about anything. :-)
Peggy

Frogleg wrote:

>>>I can find no reference to "unimix" that refers to a food substance.

>>Do a google search for "Unimix food" (without the quotes) and you will
>>receive many hits. Disregard the first few, and you'll see articles
>>that mention it in passing as a famine relief food.

> Well, blow me down. "Unimix" didn't turn up anything food-related on
> the first couple of pages and I gave up.
>
> Adding the qualifier yielded quite a few hits on a food material
> developed by Roche of Switzerland which appears to be a high-protein
> fortified flour used as a food *supplement* in emergency situations.
> It's *not* a complete food or a complete diet.
>
> A "recipe" for UNIMIX is a contradiction in terms. If you believe it
> to be a complete nutritional program, then surely all you have to do
> is spoon it out and swallow. Various diet foods and nutritional
> substitutes for Real Food exist -- sugar, water, protein powder, and
> vitamins. UNIMIX is probably Boost without the water.
>
> If you're interested enough to query a cooking group, why not consider
> cooking Real Food? People don't eat kibble -- goats eat kibble. There
> is no human "cuisine" based on a basic mix of nutritional absolutes.
> In desperate situations, supplements may need to be supplied, but
> flour, cooking oil, and vitamin pills aren't food for life.
>
> One of my brothers had a housemate who decided unheated cans of
> condensed soup were adequate for human life, and bought a case to
> sustain him over a busy week. A youthful constitution can survive just
> about anything. :-)

Eeeeeeew! Gross!

Peg

> A "recipe" for UNIMIX is a contradiction in terms. If you believe it
> to be a complete nutritional program, then surely all you have to do
> is spoon it out and swallow. Various diet foods and nutritional
> substitutes for Real Food exist -- sugar, water, protein powder, and
> vitamins. UNIMIX is probably Boost without the water.

I wanted a recipe for making Unimix, not a recipe for doing things
with it.

> If you're interested enough to query a cooking group, why not consider
> cooking Real Food? People don't eat kibble -- goats eat kibble. There
> is no human "cuisine" based on a basic mix of nutritional absolutes.
> In desperate situations, supplements may need to be supplied, but
> flour, cooking oil, and vitamin pills aren't food for life.

Since creating something like Unimix qualifies as cooking, the query
is valid here, especially if ways of preparing it (bars, soup, etc...)
are presented. Besides, I thought my request might be welcome to
those who enjoy a challenge. Create a tasty food that is also
nutritionally complete. How to combine a variety of foods (that form
a complete nutritional profile) in a tasty (and maybe convenient)
manner? How many variations (sweet, savory, bland) can you come up
with?

> One of my brothers had a housemate who decided unheated cans of
> condensed soup were adequate for human life, and bought a case to
> sustain him over a busy week. A youthful constitution can survive just
> about anything. :-)

People can survive a while on foods of questionable quality for a
while. However, I'm looking for a recipe for a food that someone can
eat exclusively and remain healthy.

Thanks.