Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

Old 24-11-2009, 10:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
case.

Old 24-11-2009, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 4:41*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
case.

I'd say the best is Swan's Down. Just add the above mentioned pan
drippings.

--Bryan
Old 24-11-2009, 11:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
case.

Always good to have a safety net, but more impressive to do your high
wire cooking act without a net...
Old 24-11-2009, 11:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 5:00*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
cybercat wrote:

My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
case.

Always good to have a safety net, but more impressive to do your high
wire cooking act without a net...

Some folks thing that potatoes with crappy gravy are preferable to
potatoes with no gravy.

--Bryan
Old 24-11-2009, 11:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:41:53 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
case.

I think Consumer Reports said the same, but when I went to my large
local supermarket yesterday, alas, no such packet. Picked up some
McCormick in case my own from scratch goes astray.

Happy Thanksgiving.

aloha,
Cea
Old 25-11-2009, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

cybercat wrote:

My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr
Roasted Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made,
esp. if you add pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a
good brand around just in case.

Always good to have a safety net, but more impressive to do your high
wire cooking act without a net...

Why on *earth* would anyone use a gravy "mix" or the canned junk, gravy is
just about the easiest thang around to make...

The cybertwot up there might as well use the "seasoning packet" from a
package of cheep ramen, it's salt, MSG, and a few weak flavorings, same as
those stoopid gravy "mixes"...READ the ingredients list fer crying out
loud...!!!

Her post has *gotta* be a troll in any case...next she'll be axing if you
have to remove the "wrapping" from her fully - frozen and un - thawed turkey
before she pops it into her dishwasher to "cook" , lol...

--
Best
Greg

Old 25-11-2009, 01:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote

My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just
in
case.

Thats what I do. I don't make real pan gravy often enough to 'guarentee' I
won't boff it up, so to take the worry out, I have a decent jarred version
at the side if needed.

Also sometimes just a factor of time, made the jar the one of choice. Like,
the year I had a whole ship division over for T-day and fed 22 hungry
sailors. Knowing I'd be too busy at that end part, and probably run short
of gravy to boot, I used several jars in a crockpot (adding extra things)
and didnt have to do more than ladle it into a large enameled stove-top
tea-pot I have (perfect sized gravy boat for a crowd).

Old 25-11-2009, 01:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"cybercat" wrote

[...]

Did you use the gravy mix I sent you? (I *think* I sent some anyways!!)

I actually bought some more the other day, not that we use it. But I've
found my pooch has a penchant for any sort of gravy over her meat or
doggie biscuits :-)

Anything to please the poor old dear ;-) (She'll be 10 next June)

So now whenever I steam veges, I keep the leftover water till there's
enough to make a saucepan full , and make her a fresh batch of gravy.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Old 25-11-2009, 02:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" wrote
Pete C. wrote:
cybercat wrote:

My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr
Roasted Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made,
esp. if you add pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a
good brand around just in case.

Note she's referring to a local CBS TV show report and that it's smart to
have a backup.

There is no indication that she isnt making her own, only that like many,
she thinks it's smart to have a backup plan in place 'incase'.

Always good to have a safety net, but more impressive to do your high
wire cooking act without a net...

Why on *earth* would anyone use a gravy "mix" or the canned junk, gravy is
just about the easiest thang around to make...

It normally works for me too, but since I usually make it at best twice a
year and only for certain at Thanksgiving, I have occasionally messed it up
to the point where the jar backup was better. I'll add that when I do the
'open house for Sailors' thing, and am feeding 20 or so (plus us 3), I don't
have the time for the last minute 'make the gravy from scratch' nor a spare
burner to do it on.

Old 25-11-2009, 02:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"pure kona" wrote
"cybercat"

I think Consumer Reports said the same, but when I went to my large
local supermarket yesterday, alas, no such packet. Picked up some
McCormick in case my own from scratch goes astray.

Man, I wish I had seen that report in time. Oh well, my backup is a jarred
sort. Local brand we found was pretty good. I'm slowly swinging back to
'USA' cooking from years in asia but never was much on the gravy angle.

I should have time to make the real thing this time as I'm just feeding us 3
and a few stray neighbors who have no kids and spouse out to sea. Gonna be
6 of us and one is bringing her 'signature ham' to fill out my 13lb turkey
(kinda late to change that).

None of what we here will be fixing is anything any of us would call 'super
fancy'. It's a local neighborhood thing and we've all had one anothers
cooking plenty of times, from the 'sublime to the supine'. We feel no need
to impress, but just to have fun and eat while we talk.

Menu as follows:
13 lb stuffed turkey (dressed up pepperidge farm)
7 lb ham, simple honey and coffee glaze with apricot jam
Attempt to make cranberry sauce (can if boff it at the ready)
lots of mashed potatoes
Lots of brussel sprouts
Lots of steamed bok choy
Simple butter cheese sauce for the veggies at desire
Sweet potato and carrot creamed soup for starter
corn on the cob (several have dentures and cant eat it)
southern biscuits (another making for a change and bringing)
Fresh fruit and cheese nibbles
Jello (gotta laugh, this is our 'fanci' cook but she gotta have jello for
T-day)
Pumpkin pie
Gravy, experienced person making from our pan stuff
4 known bottles of wine (we live in walking distance)

We already have way more than the 6 of us can eat.
I suspect I won't need the jars at all and will save them for another meal.

Old 25-11-2009, 02:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Gregory Morrow" wrote
Pete C. wrote:
cybercat wrote:

My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr
Roasted Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made,
esp. if you add pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a
good brand around just in case.

Note she's referring to a local CBS TV show report and that it's smart to
have a backup.

I'm actually being cooked *for* for a change this year. But yeah, I think it
is a good idea to have a backup, esp. for large groups.

Old 25-11-2009, 03:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterL" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in

Also sometimes just a factor of time, made the jar the one of choice.
Like, the year I had a whole ship division over for T-day and fed 22

Did you use the gravy mix I sent you? (I *think* I sent some anyways!!)

hehehe you sent 2. One got used by Don in the crockpot and he didnt
remember the type, only that it came 'out of that box that guy sent you' and
there's a ?Gravlax'? wheat based one in there still I have yet to try.

Americans are terrribly totally at this one day (even me) so *specific*
about things, that that box wont fit. It has no 'turkey' in is so forgive
me my friend, 'aint gonna be used that day'.

Heeehe I have to laugh because even I get so totally 'has to fit my
tradition' on that day that I will refuse to make something no matter how
much it probably fits a menu if it doesnt fit my mind view of that day.
Most of us here are as mindlessly insensitive of anything that doesnt fit
our own tradition on this day although we will accept additions on the table
toi try as long as our basics are there.

I actually bought some more the other day, not that we use it. But I've
found my pooch has a penchant for any sort of gravy over her meat or
doggie biscuits :-)

Grin, you sent me pooch gravy? Ohh man. grrrr. Then again, havent tried
that one yet. Maybe I like pooch gravy!

Anything to please the poor old dear ;-) (She'll be 10 next June)

Cash-pup and Daisy-cat are both about 4. Being rescue sorts, no one knows
for sure. I have to add more bone stock for Cash-pup per the Doc who really
likes how that is working for him. Cash sadly has some serious heath heart
issues from heart worms before he was found abandoned and they estimate 7 at
best. I plan to enjoy all of them with him and maybe with good care, he'll
beat the odds by a few years. Vet exam last month said he looks a lot more
healthy than expected. He was interested in the bone stock and dashi stock
feeding both get daily at 'noon noshe'.

What mucks with cat's over time tends to be lack of liquid intake. 3 TB at
'lunch' of bone stock or other (dashi which is fish based) is what she gets.
Cash-pup gets about 1/2 cup of same. Both have arthritis issues that are
receeding instead of progressing although the cat is doing better at that
with now only minimal signs while cash-pup is just obviously feeling more
comfortable even as we enter winter here.

I'm gonna stick with what seems to be working here for the 4 legged family
members.

Old 25-11-2009, 03:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"PeterL" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in

Also sometimes just a factor of time, made the jar the one of choice.
Like, the year I had a whole ship division over for T-day and fed 22

Did you use the gravy mix I sent you? (I *think* I sent some anyways!!)

hehehe you sent 2. One got used by Don in the crockpot and he didnt
remember the type, only that it came 'out of that box that guy sent you'
and there's a ?Gravlax'?

Gravox.

Gravlax is fish, isn't it??

wheat based one in there still I have yet to
try.

Americans are terrribly totally at this one day (even me) so *specific*
about things, that that box wont fit. It has no 'turkey' in is so
forgive me my friend, 'aint gonna be used that day'.

Heeehe I have to laugh because even I get so totally 'has to fit my
tradition' on that day that I will refuse to make something no matter
how much it probably fits a menu if it doesnt fit my mind view of that
day. Most of us here are as mindlessly insensitive of anything that
doesnt fit our own tradition on this day although we will accept
additions on the table toi try as long as our basics are there.

We call it "having blinkers on" :-)

I actually bought some more the other day, not that we use it. But I've
found my pooch has a penchant for any sort of gravy over her meat or
doggie biscuits :-)

Grin, you sent me pooch gravy? Ohh man. grrrr. Then again, havent
tried that one yet. Maybe I like pooch gravy!

Nah, not pooch gravy, human gravy that my pooch has a liking for :-)

*Although*......... I cooked up some chicken wings a few days back. The SO
says "I didn't know we had any in the freezer, and why has the bag been
sawn in half by the butcher??"

I had to tell her I'd bought them for the pooch, and as it was a 2kg bag,
got the butcher to make them 1kg lots, and I just *felt* like some chicken
wings and salad.

Her response...... "Great...... now you're feeding me dog food!!!"

But , yeah, you should like the 'pooch gravy'. HINT: if you steam veges,
or boil veges, save the water and use it to make the gravy with.

What mucks with cat's over time tends to be lack of liquid intake. 3 TB
at 'lunch' of bone stock or other (dashi which is fish based) is what
she gets. Cash-pup gets about 1/2 cup of same. Both have arthritis
issues that are receeding instead of progressing although the cat is
doing better at that with now only minimal signs while cash-pup is just
obviously feeling more comfortable even as we enter winter here.

Sounds like something a few of us human should be doing to help the old
arthritis!!

Here's an old time remedy for you (humans)......

Put 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in 600ml bottle of water. Drink
one 600ml bottle *every* day.

It keeps the mossies and midges at bay, cleanses your liver (which is what
we could all do with now and then!!) and actually helps take away
arthritis pain.

Old 25-11-2009, 04:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cyberpurrs" wrote
"cshenk" wrote
"Gregory Morrow" wrote

My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr
Roasted Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made,
esp. if you add pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a
good brand around just in case.

Note she's referring to a local CBS TV show report and that it's smart to
have a backup.

I'm actually being cooked *for* for a change this year. But yeah, I think
it is a good idea to have a backup, esp. for large groups.

Smile, I'm cooking for 3 others this year (opps, just became 4, aunt of a
friend, email not replied to yet). When we got here in 2007 back stateside,
others took us in as well. I mean I was living on a card table and floor
futons just then while awaiting stuff from Japan.

It's no problem, we easily with the additions can handle 14.

Old 25-11-2009, 04:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just
in
case.

Add enough pan drippings, and it IS home made!

True!