FoodBanter.com

-   -   Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/179254-best-turkey-gravy-mix.html)

cybercat 24-11-2009 11:41 PM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
case.

--Bryan 24-11-2009 11:55 PM

On Nov 24, 4:41*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
> Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
> pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
> case.

I'd say the best is Swan's Down. Just add the above mentioned pan
drippings.

--Bryan

Pete C. 25-11-2009 12:00 AM

cybercat wrote:

> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
> Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
> pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
> case.

Always good to have a safety net, but more impressive to do your high
wire cooking act without a net...

--Bryan 25-11-2009 12:04 AM

On Nov 24, 5:00*pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
>
> > My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
> > Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
> > pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
> > case.

> Always good to have a safety net, but more impressive to do your high
> wire cooking act without a net...

Some folks thing that potatoes with crappy gravy are preferable to
potatoes with no gravy.

--Bryan

pure kona 25-11-2009 12:45 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:41:53 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
>Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
>pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
>case.

I think Consumer Reports said the same, but when I went to my large
local supermarket yesterday, alas, no such packet. Picked up some
McCormick in case my own from scratch goes astray.

Happy Thanksgiving.

aloha,
Cea

Gregory Morrow[_2_] 25-11-2009 01:10 AM

Pete C. wrote:

> cybercat wrote:
>>
>> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr
>> Roasted Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made,
>> esp. if you add pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a
>> good brand around just in case.

> Always good to have a safety net, but more impressive to do your high
> wire cooking act without a net...

Why on *earth* would anyone use a gravy "mix" or the canned junk, gravy is
just about the easiest thang around to make...

The cybertwot up there might as well use the "seasoning packet" from a
package of cheep ramen, it's salt, MSG, and a few weak flavorings, same as
those stoopid gravy "mixes"...READ the ingredients list fer crying out
loud...!!!

Her post has *gotta* be a troll in any case...next she'll be axing if you
have to remove the "wrapping" from her fully - frozen and un - thawed turkey
before she pops it into her dishwasher to "cook" , lol...

--
Best
Greg

cshenk 25-11-2009 02:19 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"cybercat" wrote

> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
> Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
> pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just
> in
> case.

Thats what I do. I don't make real pan gravy often enough to 'guarentee' I
won't boff it up, so to take the worry out, I have a decent jarred version
at the side if needed.

Also sometimes just a factor of time, made the jar the one of choice. Like,
the year I had a whole ship division over for T-day and fed 22 hungry
sailors. Knowing I'd be too busy at that end part, and probably run short
of gravy to boot, I used several jars in a crockpot (adding extra things)
and didnt have to do more than ladle it into a large enameled stove-top
tea-pot I have (perfect sized gravy boat for a crowd).

PeterL[_17_] 25-11-2009 02:45 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"cshenk" > wrote in
:

> "cybercat" wrote
>
>> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
>> Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you
>> add pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand
>> around just in
>> case.

> Thats what I do. I don't make real pan gravy often enough to
> 'guarentee' I won't boff it up, so to take the worry out, I have a
> decent jarred version at the side if needed.
>
> Also sometimes just a factor of time, made the jar the one of choice.
> Like, the year I had a whole ship division over for T-day and fed 22
> hungry sailors. Knowing I'd be too busy at that end part, and probably
> run short of gravy to boot, I used several jars in a crockpot (adding
> extra things) and didnt have to do more than ladle it into a large
> enameled stove-top tea-pot I have (perfect sized gravy boat for a
> crowd).

Did you use the gravy mix I sent you? (I *think* I sent some anyways!!)

I actually bought some more the other day, not that we use it. But I've
found my pooch has a penchant for any sort of gravy over her meat or
doggie biscuits :-)

Anything to please the poor old dear ;-) (She'll be 10 next June)

So now whenever I steam veges, I keep the leftover water till there's
enough to make a saucepan full , and make her a fresh batch of gravy.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?

cshenk 25-11-2009 03:16 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"Gregory Morrow" wrote
> Pete C. wrote:
>> cybercat wrote:

>>> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr
>>> Roasted Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made,
>>> esp. if you add pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a
>>> good brand around just in case.

Note she's referring to a local CBS TV show report and that it's smart to
have a backup.

There is no indication that she isnt making her own, only that like many,
she thinks it's smart to have a backup plan in place 'incase'.

>> Always good to have a safety net, but more impressive to do your high
>> wire cooking act without a net...

> Why on *earth* would anyone use a gravy "mix" or the canned junk, gravy is
> just about the easiest thang around to make...

It normally works for me too, but since I usually make it at best twice a
year and only for certain at Thanksgiving, I have occasionally messed it up
to the point where the jar backup was better. I'll add that when I do the
'open house for Sailors' thing, and am feeding 20 or so (plus us 3), I don't
have the time for the last minute 'make the gravy from scratch' nor a spare
burner to do it on.

cshenk 25-11-2009 03:47 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"pure kona" wrote
> "cybercat" >

> I think Consumer Reports said the same, but when I went to my large
> local supermarket yesterday, alas, no such packet. Picked up some
> McCormick in case my own from scratch goes astray.

Man, I wish I had seen that report in time. Oh well, my backup is a jarred
sort. Local brand we found was pretty good. I'm slowly swinging back to
'USA' cooking from years in asia but never was much on the gravy angle.

I should have time to make the real thing this time as I'm just feeding us 3
and a few stray neighbors who have no kids and spouse out to sea. Gonna be
6 of us and one is bringing her 'signature ham' to fill out my 13lb turkey
(kinda late to change that).

None of what we here will be fixing is anything any of us would call 'super
fancy'. It's a local neighborhood thing and we've all had one anothers
cooking plenty of times, from the 'sublime to the supine'. We feel no need
to impress, but just to have fun and eat while we talk.

Menu as follows:
13 lb stuffed turkey (dressed up pepperidge farm)
7 lb ham, simple honey and coffee glaze with apricot jam
Attempt to make cranberry sauce (can if boff it at the ready)
lots of mashed potatoes
Lots of brussel sprouts
Lots of steamed bok choy
Simple butter cheese sauce for the veggies at desire
Sweet potato and carrot creamed soup for starter
corn on the cob (several have dentures and cant eat it)
southern biscuits (another making for a change and bringing)
Fresh fruit and cheese nibbles
Jello (gotta laugh, this is our 'fanci' cook but she gotta have jello for
T-day)
Pumpkin pie
Gravy, experienced person making from our pan stuff
4 known bottles of wine (we live in walking distance)

We already have way more than the 6 of us can eat.
I suspect I won't need the jars at all and will save them for another meal.

cyberpurrs 25-11-2009 03:48 AM

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Gregory Morrow" wrote
>> Pete C. wrote:

> Note she's referring to a local CBS TV show report and that it's smart to
> have a backup.

I'm actually being cooked *for* for a change this year. But yeah, I think it
is a good idea to have a backup, esp. for large groups.

cshenk 25-11-2009 04:29 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"PeterL" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote in

>> Also sometimes just a factor of time, made the jar the one of choice.
>> Like, the year I had a whole ship division over for T-day and fed 22

> Did you use the gravy mix I sent you? (I *think* I sent some anyways!!)

hehehe you sent 2. One got used by Don in the crockpot and he didnt
remember the type, only that it came 'out of that box that guy sent you' and
there's a ?Gravlax'? wheat based one in there still I have yet to try.

Americans are terrribly totally at this one day (even me) so *specific*
about things, that that box wont fit. It has no 'turkey' in is so forgive
me my friend, 'aint gonna be used that day'.

Heeehe I have to laugh because even I get so totally 'has to fit my
tradition' on that day that I will refuse to make something no matter how
much it probably fits a menu if it doesnt fit my mind view of that day.
Most of us here are as mindlessly insensitive of anything that doesnt fit
our own tradition on this day although we will accept additions on the table
toi try as long as our basics are there.

> I actually bought some more the other day, not that we use it. But I've
> found my pooch has a penchant for any sort of gravy over her meat or
> doggie biscuits :-)

Grin, you sent me pooch gravy? Ohh man. grrrr. Then again, havent tried
that one yet. Maybe I like pooch gravy!

> Anything to please the poor old dear ;-) (She'll be 10 next June)

Cash-pup and Daisy-cat are both about 4. Being rescue sorts, no one knows
for sure. I have to add more bone stock for Cash-pup per the Doc who really
likes how that is working for him. Cash sadly has some serious heath heart
issues from heart worms before he was found abandoned and they estimate 7 at
best. I plan to enjoy all of them with him and maybe with good care, he'll
beat the odds by a few years. Vet exam last month said he looks a lot more
healthy than expected. He was interested in the bone stock and dashi stock
feeding both get daily at 'noon noshe'.

What mucks with cat's over time tends to be lack of liquid intake. 3 TB at
'lunch' of bone stock or other (dashi which is fish based) is what she gets.
Cash-pup gets about 1/2 cup of same. Both have arthritis issues that are
receeding instead of progressing although the cat is doing better at that
with now only minimal signs while cash-pup is just obviously feeling more
comfortable even as we enter winter here.

I'm gonna stick with what seems to be working here for the 4 legged family
members.

PeterL[_17_] 25-11-2009 04:44 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"cshenk" > wrote in
:

> "PeterL" wrote
>> "cshenk" wrote in

>>> Also sometimes just a factor of time, made the jar the one of choice.
>>> Like, the year I had a whole ship division over for T-day and fed 22

>> Did you use the gravy mix I sent you? (I *think* I sent some anyways!!)

> hehehe you sent 2. One got used by Don in the crockpot and he didnt
> remember the type, only that it came 'out of that box that guy sent you'
> and there's a ?Gravlax'?

Gravox.

Gravlax is fish, isn't it??

> wheat based one in there still I have yet to
> try.
>
> Americans are terrribly totally at this one day (even me) so *specific*
> about things, that that box wont fit. It has no 'turkey' in is so
> forgive me my friend, 'aint gonna be used that day'.
>
> Heeehe I have to laugh because even I get so totally 'has to fit my
> tradition' on that day that I will refuse to make something no matter
> how much it probably fits a menu if it doesnt fit my mind view of that
> day. Most of us here are as mindlessly insensitive of anything that
> doesnt fit our own tradition on this day although we will accept
> additions on the table toi try as long as our basics are there.

We call it "having blinkers on" :-)

>> I actually bought some more the other day, not that we use it. But I've
>> found my pooch has a penchant for any sort of gravy over her meat or
>> doggie biscuits :-)

> Grin, you sent me pooch gravy? Ohh man. grrrr. Then again, havent
> tried that one yet. Maybe I like pooch gravy!

Nah, not pooch gravy, human gravy that my pooch has a liking for :-)

*Although*......... I cooked up some chicken wings a few days back. The SO
says "I didn't know we had any in the freezer, and why has the bag been
sawn in half by the butcher??"

I had to tell her I'd bought them for the pooch, and as it was a 2kg bag,
got the butcher to make them 1kg lots, and I just *felt* like some chicken
wings and salad.

Her response...... "Great...... now you're feeding me dog food!!!"

But , yeah, you should like the 'pooch gravy'. HINT: if you steam veges,
or boil veges, save the water and use it to make the gravy with.

> What mucks with cat's over time tends to be lack of liquid intake. 3 TB
> at 'lunch' of bone stock or other (dashi which is fish based) is what
> she gets. Cash-pup gets about 1/2 cup of same. Both have arthritis
> issues that are receeding instead of progressing although the cat is
> doing better at that with now only minimal signs while cash-pup is just
> obviously feeling more comfortable even as we enter winter here.

Sounds like something a few of us human should be doing to help the old
arthritis!!

Here's an old time remedy for you (humans)......

Put 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in 600ml bottle of water. Drink
one 600ml bottle *every* day.

It keeps the mossies and midges at bay, cleanses your liver (which is what
we could all do with now and then!!) and actually helps take away
arthritis pain.

cshenk 25-11-2009 05:33 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"cyberpurrs" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote
>> "Gregory Morrow" wrote

>> Note she's referring to a local CBS TV show report and that it's smart to
>> have a backup.

> I'm actually being cooked *for* for a change this year. But yeah, I think
> it is a good idea to have a backup, esp. for large groups.

Smile, I'm cooking for 3 others this year (opps, just became 4, aunt of a
friend, email not replied to yet). When we got here in 2007 back stateside,
others took us in as well. I mean I was living on a card table and floor
futons just then while awaiting stuff from Japan.

It's no problem, we easily with the additions can handle 14.

cyberpurrs 25-11-2009 05:38 AM

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:41:53 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
>>Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
>>pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just
>>in
>>case.

> Add enough pan drippings, and it IS home made!

True!

projectile vomit chick[_3_] 25-11-2009 05:53 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

On Nov 24, 6:10*pm, "Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:
> Pete C. wrote:
> > cybercat wrote:

> >> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr
> >> Roasted Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made,
> >> esp. if you add pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a
> >> good brand around just in case.

> > Always good to have a safety net, but more impressive to do your high
> > wire cooking act without a net...

> Why on *earth* would anyone use a gravy "mix" or the canned junk, gravy is
> just about the easiest thang around to make...
>
> The cybertwot up there might *as well use the "seasoning packet" from a
> package of cheep ramen, it's salt, MSG, *and a few weak flavorings, same as
> those stoopid gravy "mixes"...READ the ingredients list fer crying out
> loud...!!!
>
> Her post has *gotta* be a troll in any case...next she'll be axing if you
> have to remove the "wrapping" from her fully - frozen and un - thawed turkey
> before she pops it into her dishwasher to "cook" , lol...

Heh!! My thoughts exactly.

Remember when she was yapping about the frozen chicken nugget soup she
made? Good grief what a dumbass.

Melba's Jammin' 25-11-2009 06:06 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
> Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
> pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
> case.

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll hit the store tomorrow and look for it.
If I get there early enough (or late enough) I'll miss the crowds.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's Thanksgiving Eve church service
and pie feast following it. It's a really nice service. Most of the
pies that are served (all donated by congregation menbers) are
store-bought, but the evening is more about friendly folks than about
pie filling or crust. <:^)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?

cyberpurrs 25-11-2009 06:49 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll hit the store tomorrow and look for it.
> If I get there early enough (or late enough) I'll miss the crowds.
>
> I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's Thanksgiving Eve church service
> and pie feast following it. It's a really nice service. Most of the
> pies that are served (all donated by congregation menbers) are
> store-bought, but the evening is more about friendly folks than about
> pie filling or crust. <:^)

Mmmm, pie. :) An old friend of ours delivers a home-made spicy pumpkin pie
or two every Thanksgiving.

Gregory Morrow[_2_] 25-11-2009 02:29 PM

projectile vomit chick wrote:

> On Nov 24, 6:10*pm, "Gregory Morrow" >
> wrote:
>

> > Pete C. wrote:

> > > Always good to have a safety net, but more impressive to do your high
> > > wire cooking act without a net...

> > Why on *earth* would anyone use a gravy "mix" or the canned junk, gravy is
> > just about the easiest thang around to make...

> > The cybertwot up there might *as well use the "seasoning packet" from a
> > package of cheep ramen, it's salt, MSG, *and a few weak flavorings, same as
> > those stoopid gravy "mixes"...READ the ingredients list fer crying out
> > loud...!!!

> > Her post has *gotta* be a troll in any case...next she'll be axing if you
> > have to remove the "wrapping" from her fully - frozen and un - thawed turkey
> > before she pops it into her dishwasher to "cook" , lol...

> Heh!! *My thoughts exactly.
>
> Remember when she was yapping about the frozen chicken nugget soup she
> made? *Good grief what a dumbass.- Hide quoted text -

If nothing else the cybertwot can use that jarred gravy krap in lieu
of FDS - on her they'd smell about the same...

<shudder>

--
Best
Greg

brooklyn1 25-11-2009 03:48 PM

"cshenk" > wrote:

> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr
> Roasted Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made,
> esp. if you add pan drippings.
>
> Note she's referring to a local CBS TV show report and that it's smart to
> have a backup.

Sheesh... big deal... add enough turkey pan drippings to Campbell's
cream of 'shroom/celery, it'll taste close to home made... probably
100% better compared to your home made.

rosie[_1_] 25-11-2009 04:04 PM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

On Nov 24, 4:41�pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
> Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
> pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
> case.

Hi Cat, Just make the gravey, put a little flour in the pan drippings,
cook add milk water or what ever, seasoning, it is really easy. You do
not need a mix.

Rosie

sf[_19_] 25-11-2009 06:32 PM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:04:35 -0800 (PST), rosie >
wrote:

>On Nov 24, 4:41?pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
>> Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
>> pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
>> case.

>Hi Cat, Just make the gravey, put a little flour in the pan drippings,
>cook add milk water or what ever, seasoning, it is really easy. You do
>not need a mix.
>
>Rosie

I've never made gravy with milk. Never been served it either. Is
that a chicken gravy, pork, what?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Goomba[_2_] 25-11-2009 06:39 PM

sf wrote:

>> Hi Cat, Just make the gravey, put a little flour in the pan drippings,
>> cook add milk water or what ever, seasoning, it is really easy. You do
>> not need a mix.
>>
>> Rosie

> I've never made gravy with milk. Never been served it either. Is
> that a chicken gravy, pork, what?

I don't care for milk made gravy either but it seems to be the norm with
many in the South. What really gags me out is when folks put hard boiled
eggs into it... blech!!
Gimme traditional stock/drippings/thickener gravy please!

sf[_19_] 25-11-2009 07:13 PM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:39:01 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>>> Hi Cat, Just make the gravey, put a little flour in the pan drippings,
>>> cook add milk water or what ever, seasoning, it is really easy. You do
>>> not need a mix.
>>>
>>> Rosie

>> I've never made gravy with milk. Never been served it either. Is
>> that a chicken gravy, pork, what?
>>

>I don't care for milk made gravy either but it seems to be the norm with
>many in the South. What really gags me out is when folks put hard boiled
>eggs into it... blech!!
>Gimme traditional stock/drippings/thickener gravy please!

I didn't say I didn't like it, just that I've never eaten it. Hard
boiled eggs in gravy does sound awful though.

Kent[_2_] 25-11-2009 11:31 PM

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr
>> Roasted Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made,
>> esp. if you add pan drippings.
>>
>> Note she's referring to a local CBS TV show report and that it's smart to
>> have a backup.

> Sheesh... big deal... add enough turkey pan drippings to Campbell's
> cream of 'shroom/celery, it'll taste close to home made... probably
> 100% better compared to your home made.

That really sounds horrible!

cshenk 26-11-2009 12:28 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"PeterL" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote in

>> hehehe you sent 2. One got used by Don in the crockpot and he didnt
>> remember the type, only that it came 'out of that box that guy sent you'
>> and there's a ?Gravlax'?

> Gravox.
> Gravlax is fish, isn't it??

Ok, gravox. Looks like something I want to try over some starchy thing like
potatos or rice or pasta.

>> Americans are terrribly totally at this one day (even me) so *specific*

> We call it "having blinkers on" :-)

Yup. I betcha most of us have that here on this one day. I know almost
every culture has a 'havest festival' (dated to fit when it hits them hence
Canada is a month earlier) but we here get *real* specific about it all.

>> Grin, you sent me pooch gravy? Ohh man. grrrr. Then again, havent
>> tried that one yet. Maybe I like pooch gravy!

> Nah, not pooch gravy, human gravy that my pooch has a liking for :-)

Snicker, ok.

>> What mucks with cat's over time tends to be lack of liquid intake. 3 TB
>> at 'lunch' of bone stock or other (dashi which is fish based) is what
>> she gets. Cash-pup gets about 1/2 cup of same. Both have arthritis
>> issues that are receeding instead of progressing although the cat is
>> doing better at that with now only minimal signs while cash-pup is just
>> obviously feeling more comfortable even as we enter winter here.

> Sounds like something a few of us human should be doing to help the old
> arthritis!!

Actually, that's what my Docs say too. No point in getting too maudlin
about it all but it's one of the diet things Don and I both need. In
addition to helping keep bones healthy (female osteoporosis, male and female
arthritis) a good diet with a reasonable marrow/bone infusion is good for
all meat eating mammals. (Om, please email me on that if you see this).

> Here's an old time remedy for you (humans)......
>
> Put 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in 600ml bottle of water. Drink
> one 600ml bottle *every* day.

I've a friend who used that and he said it helped. Doesnt do diddly for me
but then, I dont exactly have arthritis. ;-)

cshenk 26-11-2009 12:40 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"brooklyn1" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

> Sheesh... big deal... add enough turkey pan drippings to Campbell's
> cream of 'shroom/celery, it'll taste close to home made... probably
> 100% better compared to your home made.

Snicker, not quite. But this time, we won't need the jarred stuff as a
backup pretty sure. Marina's been making pan gravy for 60 years and she's
gonna show us neophytes in person how to do it.

Being as I do it at best twice a year and sometimes only annually (T-day), I
make a decent one most years but nothing to write sagas on how great it is.
Boffed it a few times too with too much of some seasoning so that's why I
keep a backup plan now.

Like I presume in reality those here actually are, I'm great with some
things, good with some others, average with some, and not experienced with
others with occasional failures. I have no problem saying I am not expert
in this area, nor should you with the idea that some aren't experienced in
everything.

cshenk 26-11-2009 01:02 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"The Other Guy" wrote
> "Gregory Morrow" wrote:

>>Why on *earth* would anyone use a gravy "mix" or the canned junk, gravy is
>>just about the easiest thang around to make...

> There are PLENTY of reasons, that YOU simply are ignoring, or
> can't think of.

OG, be at ease. Some people here get their daily 'kicks' kicking at others.

This year, we are open to our neighbors, many of whom are alone for whatever
reason. I forget how many were expected T-day last I posted as it's a
moving target. I can tell you we have 11 now. I can also say we have a
list now with about how many servings each item is and I'm getting almost
slammed with emails tonight on what else we need.

List need not repeat but i hope you have a local friend or so. Some of the
ones who found us, are new folks that the next door neighbors just chatted
across the yard with or helped clear a downed tree with (Nor'easter combined
witrh Ida got us hardish in this area).

If no neighbors you can join with, please be well and know we pass you my
greetings.

PS: I now have food for 20 easily, only some gets cooked here. We reminded
all we make extra so they have the traditional leftovers. The 13 lb turkey
got solved because John (bless his heart) is making a 12 lb one too and we
just have to send help for him to get it in the oven then carry it back
over. Art's got that covered. John's daughter is in Afganistan and was
expected back but will arrive apparently a month later.

cshenk 26-11-2009 01:09 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"projectile vomit chick" wrote

> Heh!! My thoughts exactly.

You have thoughts?

Suprising. Perhaps in time you may learn to express them. Then again a
person who chooses to be known as 'projectile vomit' has probably 'issues'
of some sort.

Kent[_2_] 26-11-2009 01:20 AM

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
> Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
> pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just
> in
> case.

Trader Joe's boxed turkey gravy isn't bad, and mixed with deglazed drippings
it would be pretty good. Better I think than anything in a package.

Kent

Melba's Jammin' 26-11-2009 04:42 AM

"cyberpurrs" > wrote:
> Mmmm, pie. :) An old friend of ours delivers a home-made spicy pumpkin pie
> or two every Thanksgiving.

I just came from the church service and pie feast following it. Great
pumpkin pie; some sort of mystery-gunk pie in a soggy graham cracker
crust; and some still-warm pumpkin pie that was "different." Don't ask
me to describe it, but it wasn't the best. My work there was done so
I came home. :-0) One out of three would be great for a baseball
player, for a pie feast, it was a disappointment.

Omelet[_7_] 26-11-2009 04:55 PM

Goomba > wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> Hi Cat, Just make the gravey, put a little flour in the pan drippings,
> >> cook add milk water or what ever, seasoning, it is really easy. You do
> >> not need a mix.
> >>
> >> Rosie

> > I've never made gravy with milk. Never been served it either. Is
> > that a chicken gravy, pork, what?
> >

> I don't care for milk made gravy either but it seems to be the norm with
> many in the South. What really gags me out is when folks put hard boiled
> eggs into it... blech!!
> Gimme traditional stock/drippings/thickener gravy please!

<lol> Hard boiled eggs, peas and chunky cut chicken.

Served over rice.

"Chicken a' la' King"...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Omelet[_7_] 26-11-2009 04:57 PM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 25 Nov 2009 04:40:49p, cshenk told us...
>
> > "brooklyn1" wrote
> >> "cshenk" wrote:

> >> Sheesh... big deal... add enough turkey pan drippings to Campbell's
> >> cream of 'shroom/celery, it'll taste close to home made... probably
> >> 100% better compared to your home made.

> > Snicker, not quite. But this time, we won't need the jarred stuff as a
> > backup pretty sure. Marina's been making pan gravy for 60 years and
> > she's gonna show us neophytes in person how to do it.
> >
> > Being as I do it at best twice a year and sometimes only annually
> > (T-day), I make a decent one most years but nothing to write sagas on
> > how great it is. Boffed it a few times too with too much of some
> > seasoning so that's why I keep a backup plan now.
> >
> > Like I presume in reality those here actually are, I'm great with some
> > things, good with some others, average with some, and not experienced
> > with others with occasional failures. I have no problem saying I am not
> > expert in this area, nor should you with the idea that some aren't
> > experienced in everything.

> If you've made a well-seasoned turkey stock before roasting the turkey and
> add pan drippings when you make the gravy, very little additional seasoning
> should be required for the gravy. Over-seasoned gravies are unfortunately
> all too common.

That is exactly how I do it. I make a rich turkey stock with extra
turkey necks from the store, onions, garlic, celery, a little carrot and
a light selection of herbs included pepper and sage. Shred the meat off
of the necks and then add the roasted drippings to that. Bring up to a
good simmer and add a corn starch slurry to thicken.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

blake murphy[_2_] 27-11-2009 12:35 AM

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:40:49 -0500, cshenk wrote:

> "brooklyn1" wrote
>> "cshenk" wrote:

>> Sheesh... big deal... add enough turkey pan drippings to Campbell's
>> cream of 'shroom/celery, it'll taste close to home made... probably
>> 100% better compared to your home made.

> Snicker, not quite. But this time, we won't need the jarred stuff as a
> backup pretty sure. Marina's been making pan gravy for 60 years and she's
> gonna show us neophytes in person how to do it.
>
> Being as I do it at best twice a year and sometimes only annually (T-day), I
> make a decent one most years but nothing to write sagas on how great it is.
> Boffed it a few times too with too much of some seasoning so that's why I
> keep a backup plan now.
>
> Like I presume in reality those here actually are, I'm great with some
> things, good with some others, average with some, and not experienced with
> others with occasional failures. I have no problem saying I am not expert
> in this area, nor should you with the idea that some aren't experienced in
> everything.

don't you know? sheldon is the world's more foremost expert in anything
and everything. just ask him.

your pal,
blake

Food Snob®[_2_] 27-11-2009 01:49 AM

On Nov 25, 4:31*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>
> ... > "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr
> >> Roasted Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made,
> >> esp. if you add pan drippings.

> >> Note she's referring to a local CBS TV show report and that it's smart to
> >> have a backup.

> > Sheesh... big deal... add enough turkey pan drippings to Campbell's
> > cream of 'shroom/celery, it'll taste close to home made... probably
> > 100% better compared to your home made.

> That really sounds horrible!

Sheldon was being sarcastic. Whatever his faults, I seriously doubt
he'd compound such a thing.

--Bryan

cshenk 27-11-2009 02:40 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"blake murphy" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> Like I presume in reality those here actually are, I'm great with some
>> things, good with some others, average with some, and not experienced
>> with
>> others with occasional failures. I have no problem saying I am not
>> expert
>> in this area, nor should you with the idea that some aren't experienced
>> in
>> everything.

> don't you know? sheldon is the world's more foremost expert in anything
> and everything. just ask him.

Hehehe Well Marina combined with Sadie since we ended up with 2 turkeys as
the group grew. We got 2 excellent gravies, one spicy creamy and one pretty
much your basic but well made. We got to watch as we let them go at it side
by side, giggling with one another as they used their own tactics. Kinda
like 'cook TV' but at home.

Party went off well!

Food Snob®[_2_] 27-11-2009 02:56 AM

On Nov 26, 9:57*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article 0>,
> *Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

> > On Wed 25 Nov 2009 04:40:49p, cshenk told us...

> > > "brooklyn1" wrote

> > > Snicker, not quite. But this time, we won't need the jarred stuff as a
> > > backup pretty sure. *Marina's been making pan gravy for 60 years and
> > > she's gonna show us neophytes in person how to do it.

> > > Being as I do it at best twice a year and sometimes only annually
> > > (T-day), I make a decent one most years but nothing to write sagas on
> > > how great it is. Boffed it a few times too with too much of some
> > > seasoning so that's why I keep a backup plan now.

> > > Like I presume in reality those here actually are, I'm great with some
> > > things, good with some others, average with some, and not experienced
> > > with others with occasional failures. *I have no problem saying I am not
> > > expert in this area, nor should you with the idea that some aren't
> > > experienced in everything.

> > If you've made a well-seasoned turkey stock before roasting the turkey and
> > add pan drippings when you make the gravy, very little additional seasoning
> > should be required for the gravy. *Over-seasoned gravies are unfortunately
> > all too common.

> That is exactly how I do it. *I make a rich turkey stock with extra
> turkey necks from the store, onions, garlic, celery, a little carrot and
> a light selection of herbs included pepper and sage. Shred the meat off
> of the necks and then add the roasted drippings to that. *Bring up to a
> good simmer and add a corn starch slurry to thicken.

There you go. Why in the name of any deity or anything else one would
bring up best jarred gravy on here is beyond me. Several months ago
I started a thread: which is better, Franco American of Chef Boyardee,
as a joke, and some folks thought I was serious.
> --
> Peace! Om

--Bryan

cshenk 27-11-2009 03:06 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"Food Snob®" wrote

> > > Like I presume in reality those here actually are, I'm great with some
> > > things, good with some others, average with some, and not experienced
> > > with others with occasional failures. I have no problem saying I am
> > > not
> > > expert in this area, nor should you with the idea that some aren't
> > > experienced in everything.

> There you go. Why in the name of any deity or anything else one would
> bring up best jarred gravy on here is beyond me. Several months ago

Because some of us are real people and not pretending?

cyberpurrs 27-11-2009 03:26 AM

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Food Snob®" wrote

>> There you go. Why in the name of any deity or anything else one would
>> bring up best jarred gravy on here is beyond me. Several months ago

> Because some of us are real people and not pretending?

An excellent reply!

Omelet[_7_] 27-11-2009 03:54 AM

Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

In article
Food Snob® > wrote:

> > That is exactly how I do it. *I make a rich turkey stock with extra
> > turkey necks from the store, onions, garlic, celery, a little carrot and
> > a light selection of herbs included pepper and sage. Shred the meat off
> > of the necks and then add the roasted drippings to that. *Bring up to a
> > good simmer and add a corn starch slurry to thicken.

> There you go. Why in the name of any deity or anything else one would
> bring up best jarred gravy on here is beyond me. Several months ago
> I started a thread: which is better, Franco American of Chef Boyardee,
> as a joke, and some folks thought I was serious.
>
> --Bryan

<chuckles> Sometimes people just don't wish to bother. :-) I often end
up making far more gravy than I need (3 quarts or so) and end up giving
about 1/2 of it away to a good friend so she does not have to make any...

OTOH is there really such a thing as "too much gravy"? <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe: