AChrist787

Default Demise of the Jack-O'Lantern

Our trust Jack O'Lantern bit it yesterday and became part of a pumpkin cake
this morning. I'm not crazy about dusting stuff with powdered sugar and will
make a cream cheese icing to dribble over the top.

Anne

Pumpkin Cake

1 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups white sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 10 inch bundt or
tube pan. Cream oil, beaten eggs, pumpkin and vanilla together.
Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, ground nutmeg, ground allspice, ground
cinnamon, ground cloves and salt together. Add the flour mixture to the
pumpkin mixture and mix until just combined. If desired, stir in some
chopped nuts. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour or until a toothpick
inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan for 5 minutes
then turn out onto a plate and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.

Yield: 12

AAC/AAF/AFBV62.0844.AZ
http://www.tckworld.com/opfoot
AChrist787

>Hmmm, I smell Jack O' Shit... if it's from your Halloweenie punkin what's with
>the canned goop?<

Ya know Sheldon, I was gone from the group for a couple of years and it's sad
to see that you haven't changed a bit.

Anne

AAC/AAF/AFBV62.0844.AZ
http://www.tckworld.com/opfoot
PENMART01

(AChrist787) deletes her pinnochio post:

>penmart01 pulls annes plug with:
>>Hmmm, I smell Jack O' Shit... if it's from your Halloweenie punkin
>>what's with the canned goop?

>Ya know Sheldon, I was gone from the group for a couple of years
>and it's sad to see that you haven't changed a bit.

What's sad is that you're still the same old liar... you're just perturbed that
I pulled yer plug. And after a couple of years away the very first post you
make is a friggin' fabrication. Not only are you sad, you're SICK.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

AChrist787

PLONK!
SportKite1

>From: zxcvbob

>The recipes generally call for canned pumpkin, and one substitutes 2
>cups of freshly cooked or frozen pumpkin if it's available. You should
>know this.

That's a good cooking factoid to know. That being said, I'm a little apalled at
the idea of using a Jack-O-Lantern to make a cake, or pie or anything edible.

Let's see, take a specially grown variety of carving pumpkin (or any
squash/vegie/fruit what have you) - cut it up...leave it out to rot for a few
days. Burn some parrafin inside it, then use it in a recipe. Sounds pretty
unappetizing to me.

Ellen

PENMART01

sportkite1 writes:

>>From: zxcvbob

>>The recipes generally call for canned pumpkin, and one substitutes 2
>>cups of freshly cooked or frozen pumpkin if it's available. You should
>>know this.

>That's a good cooking factoid to know.

That's utter nonsense... reread what that moron wrote more slowly... it's
gibberish ("The recipes" ????? DUH!).

>That being said, I'm a little apalled at
>the idea of using a Jack-O-Lantern to make a cake, or pie or anything edible.
>
>Let's see, take a specially grown variety of carving pumpkin (or any
>squash/vegie/fruit what have you) - cut it up...leave it out to rot for a few
>days. Burn some parrafin inside it, then use it in a recipe. Sounds pretty
>unappetizing to me.

Yeah, don't forget to scrub off the saliva left by marauding rabid squirrels
and to scrape out the cutesy earwigs...

Not to worry... Anne didn't bake anything nor did she have a punkin, she merely
felt the need to post something/anything (posting pangs), and embellish.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

Melba's Jammin' writes:

>Anne's post began this way, Sheldon: "Our trust Jack O'Lantern bit it
>yesterday and became part of a pumpkin cake this morning."
>
>Looks like she did make it.

Huh?

If her Jack O' Lantern became part of the cake (as she claims) then why the
canned pumpkin instead of directions regarding how to prepare fresh pumpkin,
DUH!

Barb, Alzheimers has begun to advance or you're bent on being an obstinate B...
there is no other explanation.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

AChrist787

>Looks like she did make it. The recipe sounds good, too, and I've got canned
pumpkin on the shelf. Just might have to give it a shot.<

Yes I did Barb and it was great. I've had the recipe for quite some time and
assumed that everyone realized you could substitute fresh pumpkin for canned.

The pumpkin was carved on Halloween, outside with a candle in a glass
container, for maybe 3 hours, brought back into the house and put in the
refridgerator and cooked within two days. It didn't suffer from lack of care,
or I never would have used it.

Anne

AAC/AAF/AFBV62.0844.AZ
http://www.tckworld.com/opfoot
PENMART01

Melba's Jammin' writes:

> Barb, Alzheimers has begun to advance or you're bent on being an
> obstinate B... <S>there is no other explanation</S>.

>I could see from her post that she used her fresh pumpkin to make the 2
>cups of pumpkin purée

Witch.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Peggy

PENMART01 wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' writes:
>

>>Anne's post began this way, Sheldon: "Our trust Jack O'Lantern bit it
>>yesterday and became part of a pumpkin cake this morning."
>>
>>Looks like she did make it.

> Barb, Alzheimers has begun to advance or you're bent on being an obstinate B...
> there is no other explanation.

Hey, hey, big guy! Watch who you're pickin' on. Barb may be a sweetie,
but she has a few nasty friends.

Peg (one of 'em)

k%i%mmalo@m%indpsring.c%om

<snip>
Had to say - he's got me so well trained with his signoffs that I
STILL expect this thread to be something to do with Jack Schidt and
halloween when I see it....

Ob food - an alternative sort of pumpkin pie that's very easy -
especially for the baking challenged- and really good:
Mix thoroughly:
large can pumpkin pie filling with
1 half gal well softened good quality vanilla ice cream.
Adjust sweetness and spices to taste (if using plain pumpkin, you'll
want to add some sugar - start with 1/2 c- and the usual pumpkin pie
spices - cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice or mace. I add extra
spices regardless. Since this is all cold you really can do it to
taste, no chemical reaction from baking to change the end flavor. Just
go light on the ginger).
Stir in 1 c or so slightly broken up pecans if desired.

Layer gingersnaps all over the bottom of a pyrex lasagna pan. Pour on
half pumpkin mix. Top with layer of gingersnaps. Pour on rest of
pumpkin mix. Decorate top with more nuts and/or crumbled ginger snaps
if desired. Cover and freeze.

Let soften slightly at room temp 10-15 min before slicing into squares
to serve. Serve as is or with whipped cream if desired (can also do
more of the sprinkle nuts or crushed ginger snap or a bit of cinnamon
thing with that to be fancy)

Kim
Play the percentages to reply
maxine in ri

SportKite1 wrote:

> >From: zxcvbob

> >The recipes generally call for canned pumpkin, and one substitutes 2
> >cups of freshly cooked or frozen pumpkin if it's available. You should
> >know this.

> That's a good cooking factoid to know. That being said, I'm a little apalled at
> the idea of using a Jack-O-Lantern to make a cake, or pie or anything edible.
>
> Let's see, take a specially grown variety of carving pumpkin (or any
> squash/vegie/fruit what have you) - cut it up...leave it out to rot for a few
> days. Burn some parrafin inside it, then use it in a recipe. Sounds pretty
> unappetizing to me.
>
> Ellen

Try: several small sugar/pie pumpkins, carved haloween afternoon,
set out with votive holders with the candle in them for 3-4 hours,
then taken in and roasted/steamed/boiled, mashed and stored.

We have 6 pint containers, enough for pies, fudge, cakes and
cookies, as well as soups, sides, and such.

maxine in ri
CaptCook

SportKite1wrote...
> Let's see, take a specially grown variety of carving pumpkin (or any
> squash/vegie/fruit what have you) - cut it up...leave it out to rot for a

few
> days. Burn some parrafin inside it, then use it in a recipe. Sounds pretty
> unappetizing to me.

It is called 'curing'.