Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cornstarch vs. flour in pudding?

"Pudding" in the American sense of the word, that is.

I tried a simple, eggless chocolate pudding cooked with flour and it
seemed to work just as well as cornstarch. Since flour is cheaper,
what's the advantage of cornstarch?

However, vanilla pudding (the same recipe, minus the cocoa) always
burns no matter how careful I am, so I assume using flour wouldn't
help.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lenona wrote:
> "Pudding" in the American sense of the word, that is.
>
> I tried a simple, eggless chocolate pudding cooked with flour and it
> seemed to work just as well as cornstarch. Since flour is cheaper,
> what's the advantage of cornstarch?
>
> However, vanilla pudding (the same recipe, minus the cocoa) always
> burns no matter how careful I am, so I assume using flour wouldn't
> help.

I always use cornstarch. It thickens quickly and has a neutral taste.
If you are stirring constantly over a low heat you should not have a
problem with burning. For the amount of corn starch used I can't see
price being a concern. It's not that expensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lenona" > wrote in message

> "Pudding" in the American sense of the word, that is.
>
> I tried a simple, eggless chocolate pudding cooked with flour and it
> seemed to work just as well as cornstarch. Since flour is cheaper,
> what's the advantage of cornstarch?
>
> However, vanilla pudding (the same recipe, minus the cocoa) always
> burns no matter how careful I am, so I assume using flour wouldn't
> help.
>

> Lenona.

Read he http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html

Flour will leave a starchy taste (unless cooked for an extended period) and
an opaque result, corn starch does not have the starchy taste and the
thickened product is clearer than using flour - also the "sheen' appearance
is different.

--
Dimitri

Mirepoix

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Lenona" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Pudding" in the American sense of the word, that is.
>>
>> I tried a simple, eggless chocolate pudding cooked with flour and it
>> seemed to work just as well as cornstarch. Since flour is cheaper,
>> what's the advantage of cornstarch?
>>
>> However, vanilla pudding (the same recipe, minus the cocoa) always
>> burns no matter how careful I am, so I assume using flour wouldn't
>> help.
>>

> Read he http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html
>
> Flour will leave a starchy taste (unless cooked for an extended period)
> and an opaque result, corn starch does not have the starchy taste and
> the thickened product is clearer than using flour - also the "sheen'
> appearance is different.

You're on the right track, but I would add that
your standard pastry cream recipe is flour thickened
and I've never detected a starchy taste to it after all
the many times I've made it. I'd even say I like it better
than corn starch thickened preparations. This is one
of the many cases where tasting trumps reading.

--
Reg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>

>> "Lenona" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Pudding" in the American sense of the word, that is.
>>>
>>> I tried a simple, eggless chocolate pudding cooked with flour and it
>>> seemed to work just as well as cornstarch. Since flour is cheaper,
>>> what's the advantage of cornstarch?
>>>
>>> However, vanilla pudding (the same recipe, minus the cocoa) always
>>> burns no matter how careful I am, so I assume using flour wouldn't
>>> help.
>>>

>> Read he http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html
>>
>> Flour will leave a starchy taste (unless cooked for an extended period)
>> and an opaque result, corn starch does not have the starchy taste and the
>> thickened product is clearer than using flour - also the "sheen'
>> appearance is different.
>>

> You're on the right track, but I would add that
> your standard pastry cream recipe is flour thickened
> and I've never detected a starchy taste to it after all
> the many times I've made it. I'd even say I like it better
> than corn starch thickened preparations. This is one
> of the many cases where tasting trumps reading.

Horse shit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 19, 2009 at 2:54:13 PM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:
> "Pudding" in the American sense of the word, that is.
>
> I tried a simple, eggless chocolate pudding cooked with flour and it
> seemed to work just as well as cornstarch. Since flour is cheaper,
> what's the advantage of cornstarch?
>
> However, vanilla pudding (the same recipe, minus the cocoa) always
> burns no matter how careful I am, so I assume using flour wouldn't
> help.
>

> Lenona.

go on youtube for recipe