Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Filtering water from pumpkin puree

All,

We are going to try homemade pumpkin puree this year (again) and I'm
looking for a good way to filter the excess water out of the puree.
Last year we used a coffee filter, 8-10 cup, in a colander, but that was
a little tedious. I thought about cheesecloth, but all I have found is
Chinese made, which I don't trust, and boutique packages that are small
and expensive. Larger coffee filters are an option, but they are 200
count -- way too many. Anyone have a suggestion based on their experience?

Thanks,
Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Boland wrote:
> All,
>
> We are going to try homemade pumpkin puree this year (again) and I'm
> looking for a good way to filter the excess water out of the puree. Last
> year we used a coffee filter, 8-10 cup, in a colander, but that was a
> little tedious. I thought about cheesecloth, but all I have found is
> Chinese made, which I don't trust, and boutique packages that are small
> and expensive. Larger coffee filters are an option, but they are 200
> count -- way too many. Anyone have a suggestion based on their experience?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Any decent muslin cloth will do the job. I use my jelly strainer for the
job. You can also use a 20 screen strainer, one of those metal jobs with
the hooks on one side for hanging over a pot and the handle on the other
side. I use that for straining pear pulp a lot and the pumpkin pulp
shouldn't be any more trouble.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:35:57 -0500, Dave Boland >
wrote:

>All,
>
>We are going to try homemade pumpkin puree this year (again) and I'm
>looking for a good way to filter the excess water out of the puree.
>Last year we used a coffee filter, 8-10 cup, in a colander, but that was
>a little tedious. I thought about cheesecloth, but all I have found is
>Chinese made, which I don't trust, and boutique packages that are small
>and expensive. Larger coffee filters are an option, but they are 200
>count -- way too many. Anyone have a suggestion based on their experience?

Typically the excess moisture is removed from pumpkin by cutting the
peeled flesh into chunks and baking it in a pan in a slow oven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:35:57 -0500, Dave Boland >
> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> We are going to try homemade pumpkin puree this year (again) and I'm
>> looking for a good way to filter the excess water out of the puree.
>> Last year we used a coffee filter, 8-10 cup, in a colander, but that was
>> a little tedious. I thought about cheesecloth, but all I have found is
>> Chinese made, which I don't trust, and boutique packages that are small
>> and expensive. Larger coffee filters are an option, but they are 200
>> count -- way too many. Anyone have a suggestion based on their experience?
>>

> Typically the excess moisture is removed from pumpkin by cutting the
> peeled flesh into chunks and baking it in a pan in a slow oven.

Yep. If you already have puree, it can be thickened by baking it
uncovered in a slow oven in cake or lasagna pans. But if you really
want to filter it, use muslin instead of cheesecloth. An old sheet or
pillowcase will work if not too threadbare; if you buy a new piece of
muslin cloth, you need to wash it to remove most of the sizing.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:07:53 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Dave Boland wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> We are going to try homemade pumpkin puree this year (again) and I'm
>> looking for a good way to filter the excess water out of the puree. Last
>> year we used a coffee filter, 8-10 cup, in a colander, but that was a
>> little tedious. I thought about cheesecloth, but all I have found is
>> Chinese made, which I don't trust, and boutique packages that are small
>> and expensive. Larger coffee filters are an option, but they are 200
>> count -- way too many. Anyone have a suggestion based on their experience?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave

>Any decent muslin cloth will do the job. I use my jelly strainer for the
>job. You can also use a 20 screen strainer, one of those metal jobs with
>the hooks on one side for hanging over a pot and the handle on the other
>side. I use that for straining pear pulp a lot and the pumpkin pulp
>shouldn't be any more trouble.

That's what we do. Just did it two days ago actually. Fill the sieve
and let it sit over a bowl for an hour or so and it's ready to use.
We made two pumpkin rolls. I don't care for pumpkin but the rolls
Louise makes are to die for.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>All,
>
>We are going to try homemade pumpkin puree this year (again) and I'm
>looking for a good way to filter the excess water out of the puree.
>Last year we used a coffee filter, 8-10 cup, in a colander, but that was
>a little tedious.

Tedious? It sounds like you're making this into more work than it is.

>I thought about cheesecloth, but all I have found is
>Chinese made, which I don't trust, and boutique packages that are small
>and expensive.

Cheese cloth should be inexpensive. Can't you buy it at the grocery
store anymore?

>Larger coffee filters are an option, but they are 200
>count -- way too many. Anyone have a suggestion based on their experience?

I've made puree from fresh pumpkins, but not to can. I just straight
up make the pie.

The first thing I do is bake the pumpkin on a cookie sheet (the kind
with sides), cut side down. Baking helps evaporate and a lot of
liquid comes out, which is why you need sides. After that, I skinned
it and chunked up the flesh. I had a large fine meshed strainer at
the time, so I just put it directly into the strainer and let it sit
another 24 hours to drain. I don't see why a colander can't serve the
same purpose. A LOT of liquid comes out that way. There is nothing
tedious about it, there is no effort on your part - just time.

I've never pressed it, put it into a towel to wring more or put it
into a slow oven to bake off more liquid, but I guess you could. I
decided to deal with fresh pumpkin the way it is, otherwise I buy
canned.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:20:06 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:35:57 -0500, Dave Boland >
>wrote:
>
>>All,
>>
>>We are going to try homemade pumpkin puree this year (again) and I'm
>>looking for a good way to filter the excess water out of the puree.
>>Last year we used a coffee filter, 8-10 cup, in a colander, but that was
>>a little tedious.

>Tedious? It sounds like you're making this into more work than it is.
>
>>I thought about cheesecloth, but all I have found is
>>Chinese made, which I don't trust, and boutique packages that are small
>>and expensive.

>Cheese cloth should be inexpensive. Can't you buy it at the grocery
>store anymore?
>
>>Larger coffee filters are an option, but they are 200
>>count -- way too many. Anyone have a suggestion based on their experience?
>>

>I've made puree from fresh pumpkins, but not to can. I just straight
>up make the pie.
>
>The first thing I do is bake the pumpkin on a cookie sheet (the kind
>with sides), cut side down. Baking helps evaporate and a lot of
>liquid comes out, which is why you need sides. After that, I skinned
>it and chunked up the flesh. I had a large fine meshed strainer at
>the time, so I just put it directly into the strainer and let it sit
>another 24 hours to drain. I don't see why a colander can't serve the
>same purpose. A LOT of liquid comes out that way. There is nothing
>tedious about it, there is no effort on your part - just time.
>
>I've never pressed it, put it into a towel to wring more or put it
>into a slow oven to bake off more liquid, but I guess you could. I
>decided to deal with fresh pumpkin the way it is, otherwise I buy
>canned.

Canned is good... and instead of fresh pumpkin use fresh butternut
squash.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:40:25 -0500, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Canned is good... and instead of fresh pumpkin use fresh butternut
>squash.

I've thought about it, but never tried it. Probably tastes better
than fresh pumpkin.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:55:33 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:40:25 -0500, brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>Canned is good... and instead of fresh pumpkin use fresh butternut
>>squash.

>I've thought about it, but never tried it. Probably tastes better
>than fresh pumpkin.

Most commercially made pumpkin pie is actually butternut... even
canned pumpkin is butternut... they're allowed because both are the
same family of plant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dave Boland >
wrote:

> All,
>
> We are going to try homemade pumpkin puree this year (again) and I'm
> looking for a good way to filter the excess water out of the puree.
> Last year we used a coffee filter, 8-10 cup, in a colander, but that was
> a little tedious. I thought about cheesecloth, but all I have found is
> Chinese made, which I don't trust, and boutique packages that are small
> and expensive. Larger coffee filters are an option, but they are 200
> count -- way too many. Anyone have a suggestion based on their experience?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Mom always just used a screen strainer.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Filtering Tom Kunich Winemaking 2 08-11-2011 09:26 PM
How do I make puree out of the pumpkin flesh of a carved pumpkin? malesheep General Cooking 5 31-10-2011 06:05 AM
Is Filtering really necessary? [email protected] Winemaking 9 01-12-2006 05:06 PM
Pumpkin Pie - not custard or puree Clay Harryman Baking 2 03-11-2005 02:10 PM
Filtering Help WD Winemaking 9 07-01-2004 01:54 PM