Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fresh parsley stems

Worth saving for freshening up chicken broth? Or should I just
throw them out?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Worth saving for freshening up chicken broth? Or should I just throw them
> out?
>
> Bob

Fine unless you have to keep them for several days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Worth saving for freshening up chicken broth? Or should I just
> throw them out?
>
> Bob

No. Yes.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
zxcvbob > posted:

> Worth saving for freshening up chicken broth? Or should I just
> throw them out?

I used to salt the water in which I was boiling chicken for whatever
reason, but to get it salty enough to actually affect the chicken required
quite a bit of salt, and after reducing the broth to something that
actually has a significant flavor, it also tasted like the Pacific Ocean.
I have since stopped salting the water. I then used some broth I'd made
to put together some chicken & cornbread dressing. Fantastic taste. I
don't like celery in mine. Just had cornbread, bread crumbs, diced onion,
cubed chicken, sage, salt, pepper, and pats of butter on top. It was
fantastic.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> zxcvbob > posted:
>
>> Worth saving for freshening up chicken broth? Or should I just
>> throw them out?

> I used to salt the water in which I was boiling chicken for whatever
> reason, but to get it salty enough to actually affect the chicken required
> quite a bit of salt, and after reducing the broth to something that
> actually has a significant flavor, it also tasted like the Pacific Ocean.
> I have since stopped salting the water. I then used some broth I'd made
> to put together some chicken & cornbread dressing. Fantastic taste. I
> don't like celery in mine. Just had cornbread, bread crumbs, diced onion,
> cubed chicken, sage, salt, pepper, and pats of butter on top. It was
> fantastic.
>
> Damaeus

Yabbut???? What about the parsley stems he asked about?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Worth saving for freshening up chicken broth? Or should I just
>> throw them out?
>>
>> Bob

> No. Yes.

My freezer thanks you. ;-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

> Worth saving for freshening up chicken broth?

Yes, I freeze parsley and dill stems for chicken broth or soup.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > zxcvbob > wrote:
> >
> >> Worth saving for freshening up chicken broth? Or should I just
> >> throw them out?
> >>
> >> Bob

> > No. Yes.

> My freezer thanks you. ;-)
>
> Bob

It's a free service we provide. Value added.
I still have parsley in a pot outside. And some rosemary. I wonder if
the rosemary and the parsley don't like to cohabit; the parsley did fine
and the rosemary just didn't grow much at all.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog
Welcoming the arrival of Emma Kathryn on 10-22-09;
she is great-grand-niece/-nephew #8.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Worth saving for freshening up chicken broth? Or should I just
> throw them out?
>
> Bob

We include the stems in anything that is getting parsley. We also
include the stems (after a little trimming) when rolling up a bunch of
fresh parsley for freezing...half the bunch is turned round so each end
of the 'cylinder' we make contains stems.

Why throw them out...they taste just as good as the leaves. Same with
coriander/cilantro stems.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Worth saving for freshening up chicken broth? Or should I just throw
> them out?
>
> Bob

I use a lot of the stem down from the leaves in my cooking/minced
parsley needs too. Do you ONLY use the leaves? Why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
> > Worth saving for freshening up chicken broth? Or should I just throw
> > them out?
> >
> > Bob

> I use a lot of the stem down from the leaves in my cooking/minced
> parsley needs too. Do you ONLY use the leaves? Why?

I'm not Bob but if I'm chopping it, I mostly only use the leaves, too,
because the leaves are more tender than the stems. I don't use the
stems at all in tabbouli. However, when I'm using parsley in soup broth
(beef or chicken) I use stem and leaves, in one piece for ease in
removing it from the broth. I.e., I don't chop the parsley.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog
Welcoming the arrival of Emma Kathryn on 10-22-09;
she is great-grand-niece/-nephew #8.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "CaveMan" >
wrote:

> "Damaeus" > wrote in message

(snippage)
> > I have since stopped salting the water. I then used some broth I'd made
> > to put together some chicken & cornbread dressing. Fantastic taste. I
> > don't like celery in mine. Just had cornbread, bread crumbs, diced onion,
> > cubed chicken, sage, salt, pepper, and pats of butter on top. It was
> > fantastic.
> >
> > Damaeus

> Yabbut???? What about the parsley stems he asked about?

<snort>

use the stems? RichD General Cooking 16 11-05-2013 06:33 AM
spinach stems, dinner Somebody General Cooking 0 30-09-2012 12:46 AM
2 notes re wine stems DaleW Wine 0 26-12-2007 09:29 PM
Swiss chard stems?? Eric Preserving 9 04-11-2006 04:09 AM
Lotus Stems Curry [email protected] General Cooking 3 22-02-2006 05:10 PM