Cranberry sauce recipe from Hungary-Man TV Dinner?

Old 25-10-2009, 04:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cranberry sauce recipe from Hungary-Man TV Dinner?

The cranberry-apple sauce used in the Turkey Hungary-Man TV dinner seems
to be liked by many (as opposed to the more traditional cranberry sauce
recipes). Does anyone know where I can find a recipe that is close to
this one?

Thanks,
Old 25-10-2009, 05:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Dave Boland
wrote:

The cranberry-apple sauce used in the Turkey Hungary-Man TV dinner seems
to be liked by many (as opposed to the more traditional cranberry sauce
recipes). Does anyone know where I can find a recipe that is close to
this one?

I was going to make a joke about recipes from Europe, specifically
Hungary, but decided not to.

:-)

Besides, I generally don't like cranberry sauces.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 25-10-2009, 06:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 21:05:53 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

Besides, I generally don't like cranberry sauces.

I love cranberry sauce, but really... trying to duplicate one from a
TV dinner? I say open a can and be done with it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 25-10-2009, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

On Oct 24, 7:28 pm, Dave Boland wrote:
The cranberry-apple sauce used in the Turkey Hungary-Man TV dinner seems
to be liked by many (as opposed to the more traditional cranberry sauce
recipes). Does anyone know where I can find a recipe that is close to
this one?

Sounds like something easy to experiment with. I like cranberry-
orange relish better than straight cranberries, personally.

Just curious: how in the world do you back up a statement like,
"the ...sauce...seems to be liked by many...." Based on what? -
aem

Old 25-10-2009, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" wrote in message
On Oct 24, 7:28 pm, Dave Boland wrote:
The cranberry-apple sauce used in the Turkey Hungary-Man TV dinner seems
to be liked by many (as opposed to the more traditional cranberry sauce
recipes). Does anyone know where I can find a recipe that is close to
this one?

Sounds like something easy to experiment with. I like cranberry-
orange relish better than straight cranberries, personally.

Just curious: how in the world do you back up a statement like,
"the ...sauce...seems to be liked by many...." Based on what? -
aem

Based on the many that buy the turkey Hungry Man TV dinners. Or else, they
wouldn't be buying these dinners?

It's so simple, even a cave man can figure it out

Old 25-10-2009, 05:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:04:15 -0400, "CaveMan"
wrote:

Based on the many that buy the turkey Hungry Man TV dinners. Or else, they
wouldn't be buying these dinners?

The decision to buy or not buy a TV dinner isn't based on a relish
alone.

It's so simple, even a cave man can figure it out

I don't think you did.

Old 25-10-2009, 09:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 21:05:53 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

Besides, I generally don't like cranberry sauces.

I love cranberry sauce, but really... trying to duplicate one from a
TV dinner? I say open a can and be done with it.

Fresh cranberry's are readily available in the bay area, and the sauce
is not difficult to make but i always buy a can or 2 for nostalgic
purposes even more than ease of serving.

I prefer the whole cranberries in sauce but the elderly relative likes
the homogenized puree.

However that preference has as much to do with her liking a tablespoon
of it in her tea as any other use. She is also prone to spread it on
buttered bread as if it were a jam product and often has it with her
baked yams for b'fast.

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Old 25-10-2009, 09:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
On Oct 24, 7:28 pm, Dave Boland wrote:

The cranberry-apple sauce used in the Turkey Hungary-Man TV dinner seems
to be liked by many (as opposed to the more traditional cranberry sauce
recipes). Does anyone know where I can find a recipe that is close to
this one?

Sounds like something easy to experiment with. I like cranberry-
orange relish better than straight cranberries, personally.

Just curious: how in the world do you back up a statement like,
"the ...sauce...seems to be liked by many...." Based on what? -
aem

How much of it is sold? i cant imagine any one actually liking the
Chinese Shao Xing rice wine yet large amounts of it are sold here in
the states as well as in China and i cant believe the bulk of it is
sold to people who don't like it. Though i understand a sizable portion
of it is used medicinally, as per Chinese traditional medicine, to soak
the herbs there of in.

Old 25-10-2009, 10:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." posted:

I prefer the whole cranberries in sauce but the elderly relative likes
the homogenized puree.

However that preference has as much to do with her liking a tablespoon
of it in her tea as any other use. She is also prone to spread it on
buttered bread as if it were a jam product and often has it with her
baked yams for b'fast.

I love smooth cranberry sauce on buttered toast, and I also like it with
pancakes instead of syrup (my last choice), or some kind of jelly or jam.
Smucker's red plum jam is great with pancakes. I've never checked the
sugar content of Ocean Spray cranberry sauce, but I imagine it's probably
not as high as jellies or jams. Syrup is okay, but it's gotta be pure
maple syrup, warmed up a bit with a little butter melted inside. But I
actually like to eat a little bit of the pancakes with just butter, then
add the syrup after I've eaten some.

Damaeus
Old 26-10-2009, 06:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 09:41:42 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, sf
wrote,
wrote:

Based on the many that buy the turkey Hungry Man TV dinners. Or else, they
wouldn't be buying these dinners?

The decision to buy or not buy a TV dinner isn't based on a relish
alone.

Alone, no, but I would certainly refuse to buy it if I saw that it had
cranberry-apple sauce with it.

Old 26-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Member

Thanks for the most useful info.....i just love Cranbery sauce but i was unable to make it by myself...anyway thanks again.Gonna try it again.
Old 26-10-2009, 04:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:09:15 -0800, Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:

aem wrote:
[...]

i don't imagine many people are having a glass of shaoxing as an *apéritif*
(even if they can find it unsalted in this country), but plenty of people
cook with it.

come to think of it, i wonder how much low-end sherry is used in cooking
rather than as a spinster aunt's tipple with the parson?

your pal,
blake
Old 26-10-2009, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:43:55 +0000, chiplet
wrote:

'David Harmon[_2_ Wrote:
;1395595']On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 09:41:42 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, sf
wrote,-

wrote:
-
Based on the many that buy the turkey Hungry Man TV dinners. Or else,
they
wouldn't be buying these dinners?-

The decision to buy or not buy a TV dinner isn't based on a relish
alone.-

Alone, no, but I would certainly refuse to buy it if I saw that it had
cranberry-apple sauce with it.

Thanks for the most useful info.....i just love Cranbery sauce but i
was unable to make it by myself...anyway thanks again.Gonna try it
again.

Try this
http://www.oceanspray.com/recipes/re...?id=817&nid=11

FRESH CRANBERRY SAUCE

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 12-ounce package Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries

DIRECTIONS:

Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil; add
cranberries, return to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 10
minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover and cool completely at room
temperature. Refrigerate until serving time. Makes 2 1/4 cups.

PER SERVING (2 Tablespoons): Calories 51(3%DV), Fat 0grams, Pot.
14mg(1%DV), Total Carb. 13grams(4%DV), Dietary Fiber 1gram(3%DV),
Sugars 11grams, Vitamin C 2mg(3%DV), Dietary
Exchange: Fruit 1

Old 26-10-2009, 05:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:35:04 -0400, blake murphy
wrote:

come to think of it, i wonder how much low-end sherry is used in cooking
rather than as a spinster aunt's tipple with the parson?

If you judged by my kitchen, a lot. More likely, your aunt would be
drinking *cream* sherry with the parson.

Old 26-10-2009, 05:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 24, 11:28*pm, Dave Boland wrote:
The cranberry-apple sauce used in the Turkey Hungary-Man TV dinner seems
to be liked by many (as opposed to the more traditional cranberry sauce
recipes). *Does anyone know where I can find a recipe that is close to
this one?

Thanks,

CHUNKY APPLE-CRANBERRY SAUCE
Give cranberry sauce a real flavor upgrade with just a few key
ingredients and very little additional effort. Make it ahead, too!

Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 15 minutes Cool: 2 hours Chill: 2
hours

1 cup apple juice or apple cider
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
3 medium cooking apples, such as Jonathan, peeled, cored, and chopped
into 1/2-inch chunks
1 12-oz. pkg. fresh cranberries
1/2 tsp. apple pie spice
1/4 tsp. vanilla

In a large saucepan combine apple juice, sugar, and syrup. Bring to
boiling. Add apples; cook, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Stir in cranberries and pie spice. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or
until apples are soft and cranberries have popped, stirring
occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool completely at
room temperature. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 1 week
before serving. Makes 3 3/4 cups.

Per 1/4-cup serving: 78 cal., 0 g fat (0 g. sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 2
mg sodium, 20 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 0 g protein.

Dave, this recipe is from Country Living Magazine.
Would this work for you?
Ruth