Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight - Pork tenderloin

Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the one
packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus change per pound.
Unsure what to do with it, I put it in the crock pot to cook, and true to
form of tenderloin, it was very lean and there was practically no shrinkage.
After 6 hours in the crock pot I drained the braising water[1] and shredded
the meat. Put back in the crock pot and poured in a bottle of BBQ sauce and
let that simmer another half hour. I'm cooking some rice to serve it over.
What else other than on bread will this go good with?

[1]The braising water had some sage, tomato paste, beef stock (just a
little), and lots of FGP.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 11, 3:11 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the one
> packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus change per pound.
> Unsure what to do with it, I put it in the crock pot to cook, and true to
> form of tenderloin, it was very lean and there was practically no shrinkage.
> After 6 hours in the crock pot I drained the braising water[1] and shredded
> the meat. Put back in the crock pot and poured in a bottle of BBQ sauce and
> let that simmer another half hour. I'm cooking some rice to serve it over.
> What else other than on bread will this go good with?
>
> [1]The braising water had some sage, tomato paste, beef stock (just a
> little), and lots of FGP.

When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When
your only cooking ware is a crock pot, apparently, everything looks
like a cheap, tough hunk of meat that needs hours and hours of
cooking. Even pork tenderloin, which is tender, lean and fast
cooking. Next time try giving it a tasty dry rub and then 20 -30
minutes in the oven or on the grill. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin
> (the one packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus
> change per pound. Unsure what to do with it, I put it in the crock
> pot to cook, and true to form of tenderloin, it was very lean and
> there was practically no shrinkage. After 6 hours in the crock pot I
> drained the braising water[1] and shredded the meat. Put back in the
> crock pot and poured in a bottle of BBQ sauce and let that simmer
> another half hour. I'm cooking some rice to serve it over. What else
> other than on bread will this go good with?

Coleslaw...!!!

Or some other crunchy vegetable salad dealie...

> [1]The braising water had some sage, tomato paste, beef stock (just a
> little), and lots of FGP.

I have about four of these pork loins in the freezer, they've been on sale
lately. I have one of those table-top rotissserie broiler thingies (a gift,
I rarely use it), I'm thinking of brining/marinating one of the loins and
then doing it in this contraption....

Cold weather is upon us, this weekend I made a nice beef stew in the
crockpot, and inspired by notbob, some buttermilk biscuits with some whole
wheat flour mixed in. The biscuits went into the crockpot, I just put the
dough on top of the simmering stew for a coupla hours, worked out great, no
having to fiddle with an oven.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote
> Next time try giving it a tasty dry rub and then 20 -30 minutes in the
> oven or on the >grill. -aem

I actually did this the other night--but instead of using a dry rub, I
browned it fast and hot, briefly, lightly, then roasted it with coarse
pepper and crushed rosemary. I have been buying fattier cuts for so long I
forgot how nice this cut is for sandwiches. The first night we had a simple
meal of pork with a drizzle of gravy, boiled russets with butter and dill,
and broc sprinkled with cheddar. It was nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the
> one packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus change per
> pound.

You got a STEAL! I paid $4.99 a lb for mine!

> Unsure what to do with it, I put it in the crock pot to cook, and true to
> form of tenderloin, it was very lean and there was practically no
> shrinkage. After 6 hours in the crock pot I drained the braising water[1]
> and shredded the meat. Put back in the crock pot and poured in a bottle
> of BBQ sauce and let that simmer another half hour. I'm cooking some rice
> to serve it over. What else other than on bread will this go good with?

I do this with cheaper cuts, not in a crock pot but just slow cooked
(braised in very little liquid) on the stove top. I refrigerate overnight
and remove the fat. I think AEM is right about roasting or grilling (or even
pan frying it cut into medallions) is probably a better, and certainly a
faster way to do pork loin. I LOVE bbQ sauce on all pork! Very good with
yellow corn or cabbage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message

> When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

This is a great quote.

When
> your only cooking ware is a crock pot, apparently, everything looks
> like a cheap, tough hunk of meat that needs hours and hours of
> cooking. Even pork tenderloin, which is tender, lean and fast
> cooking. Next time try giving it a tasty dry rub and then 20 -30
> minutes in the oven or on the grill.

I've never cooked a pork tenderloin before and figured due to the price that
it was tough. It was anything but, you can tell even after slow cooking.
I'll try the grill next time. Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the
>> one packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus change per
>> pound.

> You got a STEAL! I paid $4.99 a lb for mine!

If I cooked this cut more, I might have gotten a couple more for the
freezer.

> I do this with cheaper cuts, not in a crock pot but just slow cooked
> (braised in very little liquid) on the stove top. I refrigerate overnight
> and remove the fat. I think AEM is right about roasting or grilling (or
> even pan frying it cut into medallions) is probably a better, and
> certainly a faster way to do pork loin. I LOVE bbQ sauce on all pork! Very
> good with yellow corn or cabbage.

The medallion idea sounds good. To be honest today I wanted something easy
to cook and not take much time. These two courses I'm taking this fall are
so time consuming. To bring it to the food topic, I just had to do a lab on
enzymes in meat and in veggies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
m...

> Cold weather is upon us, this weekend I made a nice beef stew in the
> crockpot, and inspired by notbob, some buttermilk biscuits with some whole
> wheat flour mixed in. The biscuits went into the crockpot, I just put the
> dough on top of the simmering stew for a coupla hours, worked out great,
> no
> having to fiddle with an oven.

Were they the drop-type biscuits? That is a great way to cook them! Sounds
yummy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> Cold weather is upon us, this weekend I made a nice beef stew in the
>> crockpot, and inspired by notbob, some buttermilk biscuits with some
>> whole wheat flour mixed in. The biscuits went into the crockpot, I
>> just put the dough on top of the simmering stew for a coupla hours,
>> worked out great, no
>> having to fiddle with an oven.

> Were they the drop-type biscuits? That is a great way to cook them!
> Sounds yummy!

Yup, they were just basic drop-type biscuits...it's truly a simple and tasty
"one pot" meal, no muss and no fuss.

I've done similar biscuits with stuff I've cooked on the stove...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message

> Yup, they were just basic drop-type biscuits...it's truly a simple and
> tasty
> "one pot" meal, no muss and no fuss.

Bzzzzzzzzztt who are you? LOL You ALWAYS space hyphenated words.
drop-type would be drop - type the way you write. What's up?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
>>
>> Yup, they were just basic drop-type biscuits...it's truly a simple
>> and tasty
>> "one pot" meal, no muss and no fuss.

> Bzzzzzzzzztt who are you? LOL You ALWAYS space hyphenated words.
> drop-type would be drop - type the way you write. What's up?

It must be the "cybercat" forging me...!!!

:-D

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin
> (the one packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus
> change per pound. Unsure what to do with it, I put it in the crock
> pot to cook, and true to form of tenderloin, it was very lean and
> there was practically no shrinkage. After 6 hours in the crock pot I
> drained the braising water[1] and shredded the meat. Put back in
> the
> crock pot and poured in a bottle of BBQ sauce and let that simmer
> another half hour. I'm cooking some rice to serve it over. What
> else
> other than on bread will this go good with?
> [1]The braising water had some sage, tomato paste, beef stock (just
> little), and lots of FGP.

I often rub a pork tenderloin with a mix of Lawry's seasoned salt and
a little garlic powder and, since it's so lean, wrap it in bacon
strips and roast for about 30 minutes. Quick and tasty. It doesn't
need hours in a slow cooker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC pork tenderloin

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the
> one packaged with two pieces) for a very low price,

snip
Try this, very easy, very good.

Herbed Pork Tenderloin With Oven Roasted Potatoes

1/3 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves, crushed
2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 whole pork tenderloins (3/4 to 1 pound each)
2 1/2 pounds new potatoes, quartered

Heat oven to 375F. Stir oil, garlic and seasonings; coat meat with 3
tablespoons of seasoning mixture. Place in large roasting pan. Toss
potatoes with remaining seasoning mixture; arrange around meat in pan.

Roast 35 to 40 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 155F and juices
run clear, stirring potatoes after 20 minutes. Broil on top rack of oven 5
minutes to brown. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Serves 8.

NOTE; Cut the recipe in half if you only have one tenderloin and want to
serve less people. Same amount of cooking time. I prefer to roast the meat
to 140F and let it stand for 5 minutes after taking it from the oven. The
roast will coast to about 145F. This is an extremely easy recipe. Don't
forget to use the potato recipe any time you want roast potatoes.

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the
>> one packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus change per
>> pound.

> You got a STEAL! I paid $4.99 a lb for mine!
>
>> Unsure what to do with it, I put it in the crock pot to cook, and true to
>> form of tenderloin, it was very lean and there was practically no
>> shrinkage. After 6 hours in the crock pot I drained the braising water[1]
>> and shredded the meat. Put back in the crock pot and poured in a bottle
>> of BBQ sauce and let that simmer another half hour. I'm cooking some
>> rice to serve it over. What else other than on bread will this go good
>> with?

> I do this with cheaper cuts, not in a crock pot but just slow cooked
> (braised in very little liquid) on the stove top. I refrigerate overnight
> and remove the fat. I think AEM is right about roasting or grilling (or
> even pan frying it cut into medallions) is probably a better, and
> certainly a faster way to do pork loin. I LOVE bbQ sauce on all pork! Very
> good with yellow corn or cabbage.

Yabbut, Cheryl said she bought a pork 'tenderloin' -- it's a different cat
than pork loin.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Oct 11, 3:11 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
>> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the one
>> packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus change per pound.
>> Unsure what to do with it, I put it in the crock pot to cook, and true to
>> form of tenderloin, it was very lean and there was practically no shrinkage.
>> After 6 hours in the crock pot I drained the braising water[1] and shredded
>> the meat. Put back in the crock pot and poured in a bottle of BBQ sauce and
>> let that simmer another half hour. I'm cooking some rice to serve it over.
>> What else other than on bread will this go good with?
>>
>> [1]The braising water had some sage, tomato paste, beef stock (just a
>> little), and lots of FGP.

> When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When
> your only cooking ware is a crock pot, apparently, everything looks
> like a cheap, tough hunk of meat that needs hours and hours of
> cooking. Even pork tenderloin, which is tender, lean and fast
> cooking. Next time try giving it a tasty dry rub and then 20 -30
> minutes in the oven or on the grill. -aem

aem is blunt, but right. Pork tenderloin is terrific rubbed with
your favorite spice or blend and grilled, or cut into medallions
and flattened lightly, coated with egg and seasoned crumbs and
sauteed in butter, or even made into a piccata.

We had some grilled the other night, served with baked sweet
potato wedges, creamed spinach and fresh made applesauce.

Leftover grilled tenderloin is good served cold or slivered and
thrown into your favorite stir fried vegetables at the end of
cooking.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote:

>I've never cooked a pork tenderloin before and figured due to the price that
>it was tough. It was anything but, you can tell even after slow cooking.
>I'll try the grill next time. Thank you.

It's possibly tough, if it's from a proper pastured free-range
pig. There is no part of said animal that is tender. You
must either slow-cook it, brine it, or grind it. No 20-minute
quickie tenderloins.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the
>>> one packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus change per
>>> pound.

>> You got a STEAL! I paid $4.99 a lb for mine!
>>
>>> Unsure what to do with it, I put it in the crock pot to cook, and true
>>> to form of tenderloin, it was very lean and there was practically no
>>> shrinkage. After 6 hours in the crock pot I drained the braising
>>> water[1] and shredded the meat. Put back in the crock pot and poured in
>>> a bottle of BBQ sauce and let that simmer another half hour. I'm
>>> cooking some rice to serve it over. What else other than on bread will
>>> this go good with?

>> I do this with cheaper cuts, not in a crock pot but just slow cooked
>> (braised in very little liquid) on the stove top. I refrigerate overnight
>> and remove the fat. I think AEM is right about roasting or grilling (or
>> even pan frying it cut into medallions) is probably a better, and
>> certainly a faster way to do pork loin. I LOVE bbQ sauce on all pork!
>> Very good with yellow corn or cabbage.

> Yabbut, Cheryl said she bought a pork 'tenderloin' -- it's a different cat
> than pork loin.
> Janet

Yes, I know. I buy the half loins all the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the one
> packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus change per pound.
> Unsure what to do with it, I put it in the crock pot to cook, and true to
> form of tenderloin, it was very lean and there was practically no shrinkage.
> After 6 hours in the crock pot I drained the braising water[1] and shredded
> the meat. Put back in the crock pot and poured in a bottle of BBQ sauce and
> let that simmer another half hour. I'm cooking some rice to serve it over.
> What else other than on bread will this go good with?
>
> [1]The braising water had some sage, tomato paste, beef stock (just a
> little), and lots of FGP.

Oh, Cheryl. . . . grill or bake the whole tenderloin ‹ it's the most
tender part of the piggy. Wonderful. Or slice in 1" pieces, flatten,
dip in milk then seasoned bread crumbs and quickly sauté in hot fat in a
skillet. Yum. I'm glad you enjoyed it the way you prepared it, but
it doesn't need that long to cook. At the price you quoted, I'd have
bought four of them and stuck them in the freezer. Yum.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Oct 11, 3:11 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> > Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the one
> > packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus change per pound.
> > Unsure what to do with it, I put it in the crock pot to cook,

(snip)
> When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When
> your only cooking ware is a crock pot, apparently, everything looks
> like a cheap, tough hunk of meat that needs hours and hours of
> cooking. Even pork tenderloin, which is tender, lean and fast
> cooking. Next time try giving it a tasty dry rub and then 20 -30
> minutes in the oven or on the grill. -aem

Hear, hear!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "aem" > wrote in message
>
> > When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

> This is a great quote.
>
> When
> > your only cooking ware is a crock pot, apparently, everything looks
> > like a cheap, tough hunk of meat that needs hours and hours of
> > cooking. Even pork tenderloin, which is tender, lean and fast
> > cooking. Next time try giving it a tasty dry rub and then 20 -30
> > minutes in the oven or on the grill.

> I've never cooked a pork tenderloin before and figured due to the price that
> it was tough. It was anything but, you can tell even after slow cooking.
> I'll try the grill next time. Thank you.

Consider the medallions, too, Cheryl. (Quicker to the table than
roasting the whole tenderloin.) Make sure you've got some applesauce
or apple butter on hand to accompany it. Maybe some squash? Maybe some
brussels sprouts? (I'm thinking fall vegetables.) Good eats, Kiddo.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> I've never cooked a pork tenderloin before and figured due to the price that
> it was tough. It was anything but, you can tell even after slow cooking.
> I'll try the grill next time. Thank you.

If you have about two and a half hours, salt, pepper and brown the
tenderloin on all sides in a hot pan while preheating your oven to 350F.
Then pop it in the oven for an hour and a half without a lid.
Remove the tenderloin from the oven to a cutting board for the next 35
minutes.
During the last ten minutes of cooking the tenderloin, mix up a
Yorkshire pudding. For five minutes after cooking turn the oven up to
450F.
Pop the Yorkshire in the oven for a half hour, and make pork gravy while
it's cooking. Use the pork juices on the cooking board to pour into the
gravy. Serve with some vegetable or salad.
This is one of my wife and my favorite dinners. Pork 'n York. Popovers
work just as well.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Oh, Cheryl. . . . grill or bake the whole tenderloin ‹ it's the most
> tender part of the piggy. Wonderful. Or slice in 1" pieces, flatten,
> dip in milk then seasoned bread crumbs and quickly sauté in hot fat in a
> skillet. Yum. I'm glad you enjoyed it the way you prepared it, but
> it doesn't need that long to cook. At the price you quoted, I'd have
> bought four of them and stuck them in the freezer. Yum.

Now there's a great idea. Squash, bread and saute. I actually can't
wait. I have a quarter of a loin in the freezer and I know just what to
do. I'll sacrifice my pork 'n york for half of it and make chops of the
rest. I never thought of such a thing. I'm thinking bacon grease for the
fat. Chicken fried pork. Thanks for the idea!

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 6:11*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the one
> packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus change per pound.
> Unsure what to do with it, I put it in the crock pot to cook, and true to
> form of tenderloin, it was very lean and there was practically no shrinkage.
> After 6 hours in the crock pot I drained the braising water[1] and shredded
> the meat. *Put back in the crock pot and poured in a bottle of BBQ sauce and
> let that simmer another half hour. *I'm cooking some rice to serve it over.
> What else other than on bread will this go good with?
>
> [1]The braising water had some sage, tomato paste, beef stock (just a
> little), and lots of FGP.

Such a deal.

I keep em on hand - a good source of pork for any recipe calling ff
it--- I use it to make pork chow mein, crockpot Thai stew, pork
medalions with lemon sauce....the list goes on.
Can you rush back and buy more?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Leonard Blaisdell > wrote:
> Now there's a great idea. Squash, bread and saute. I actually can't
> wait. I have a quarter of a loin in the freezer and I know just what to
> do. I'll sacrifice my pork 'n york for half of it and make chops of the
> rest. I never thought of such a thing. I'm thinking bacon grease for the
> fat. Chicken fried pork. Thanks for the idea!
>
> leo

It's Minnesota Nice, Leo. "-)
I'm going to make a squash soup with some of what I baked last week. My
fridge is full of leftovers and I need to use them or lose them. I
don't want the latter.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 5:11*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the one
> packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus change per pound.
> Unsure what to do with it, I put it in the crock pot to cook, and true to
> form of tenderloin, it was very lean and there was practically no shrinkage.
> After 6 hours in the crock pot I drained the braising water[1] and shredded
> the meat. *Put back in the crock pot and poured in a bottle of BBQ sauce and
> let that simmer another half hour. *I'm cooking some rice to serve it over.
> What else other than on bread will this go good with?
>
> [1]The braising water had some sage, tomato paste, beef stock (just a
> little), and lots of FGP.

You didn't need to slow cook it - pork tenderloin is super lean and
very, very tender.

I put it on an improvised rack in a shallow pan - turn the oven to 475
- bake for about 30 minutes, and let it rest. The leftovers are
perfect for sandwiches. I usually just season it with salt & pepper,
but sometimes I marinate it:

Pork Marinade (for loins or tenderloins) Nancy Dooley

soy sauce - about 1/4 C.
white wine - about ½ C.
red wine vinegar - about ½ C.
parsley flakes - a couple T.
pepper - to taste
garlic - minced, about 2 T.
oil - about 3/4 C.
Worcestershire sauce - about 3 T.
diced basil - a couple T.
lemon juice - about 1/4 C.

Marinate pork tenderloins or loin roasts for 6-10 hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Cheryl" > wrote:
>
>> I've never cooked a pork tenderloin before and figured due to the price
>> that
>> it was tough. It was anything but, you can tell even after slow cooking.
>> I'll try the grill next time. Thank you.

> If you have about two and a half hours, salt, pepper and brown the
> tenderloin on all sides in a hot pan while preheating your oven to 350F.
> Then pop it in the oven for an hour and a half without a lid.
> Remove the tenderloin from the oven to a cutting board for the next 35
> minutes.
> During the last ten minutes of cooking the tenderloin, mix up a
> Yorkshire pudding. For five minutes after cooking turn the oven up to
> 450F.
> Pop the Yorkshire in the oven for a half hour, and make pork gravy while
> it's cooking. Use the pork juices on the cooking board to pour into the
> gravy. Serve with some vegetable or salad.
> This is one of my wife and my favorite dinners. Pork 'n York. Popovers
> work just as well.
>
> leo

Leo, have you done this? It sounds like a huge amount of time to bake a
tenderloin after browning.

I usually brown a tenderloin on all sides in a pan then pop it in the oven
(in the pan I browned it in) at 400F for 12 minutes. It comes out medium
rare, juicy and tender. You were talking about pork tenderloins, right. A
pound to 1.25 pounds each? Not pork loin roast which can be 3-4 pounds?

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:39:04 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>You didn't need to slow cook it - pork tenderloin is super lean and
>very, very tender.

The tenderloin of anything is going to be very tender. It is one of
the least worked muscles on an animal, and signal that it needs to be
cooked quickly.

At least that is my experience..

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> aem is blunt, but right. Pork tenderloin is terrific rubbed with your
> favorite spice or blend and grilled, or cut into medallions and flattened
> lightly, coated with egg and seasoned crumbs and sauteed in butter, or
> even made into a piccata.
>
> We had some grilled the other night, served with baked sweet potato
> wedges, creamed spinach and fresh made applesauce.
>
> Leftover grilled tenderloin is good served cold or slivered and thrown
> into your favorite stir fried vegetables at the end of cooking.

I missed the boat on this one! The thought of seasoned coated medallions is
making my mouth water! I'll have to go back and see if they have more on
sale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the
>> one packaged with two pieces) for a very low price,

> snip
> Try this, very easy, very good.
>
> Herbed Pork Tenderloin With Oven Roasted Potatoes

<snip>

Thanks, that looks delicious! Live and learn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Cheryl" > wrote:
>
>> Was shopping the other day and came across a whole pork tenderloin (the
>> one
>> packaged with two pieces) for a very low price, $1 plus change per pound.
>> Unsure what to do with it, I put it in the crock pot to cook, and true to
>> form of tenderloin, it was very lean and there was practically no
>> shrinkage.
>> After 6 hours in the crock pot I drained the braising water[1] and
>> shredded
>> the meat. Put back in the crock pot and poured in a bottle of BBQ sauce
>> and
>> let that simmer another half hour. I'm cooking some rice to serve it
>> over.
>> What else other than on bread will this go good with?
>>
>> [1]The braising water had some sage, tomato paste, beef stock (just a
>> little), and lots of FGP.

> Oh, Cheryl. . . . grill or bake the whole tenderloin < it's the most
> tender part of the piggy. Wonderful. Or slice in 1" pieces, flatten,
> dip in milk then seasoned bread crumbs and quickly sauté in hot fat in a
> skillet. Yum. I'm glad you enjoyed it the way you prepared it, but
> it doesn't need that long to cook. At the price you quoted, I'd have
> bought four of them and stuck them in the freezer. Yum.

Good suggestions, everyone. I really thought I was in for it after the
first response. I didn't even need these flame resistant undies!

I just checked the sale ad for the store, and they have them now for 2.99
pound now, so I missed getting more for the cheaper price.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You guys gave me an interesting idea. The other day my mom made crab cakes
for our dinner with some out of state family. With all of the suggestions
for frying the tenderloin, of course it was too late for that. So, I just
formed a couple of patties with some of the leftover shredded BBQ pork and
rolled them in panko. Fried them up ala crab cake style, plated them.
Oh...My... God! How yummy! Strange, but yummy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 12, 3:24 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
> > aem is blunt, but right. Pork tenderloin is terrific rubbed with your
> > favorite spice or blend and grilled, or cut into medallions and flattened
> > lightly, coated with egg and seasoned crumbs and sauteed in butter, or
> > even made into a piccata.

> [snip]
>
> I missed the boat on this one! The thought of seasoned coated medallions is
> making my mouth water! I'll have to go back and see if they have more on
> sale.

Take a look at the thread on tonkatsu, too. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> I just checked the sale ad for the store, and they have them now for 2.99
> pound now, so I missed getting more for the cheaper price.

Stock up, Cheryl! That's still a good price! Especially if they are
plain and not marinated or injected. AFAIC, anything under $4/lb is
cause to buy more than one.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>
Member

I actually did this the other night--but instead of using a dry rub, I
browned it fast and hot, briefly, lightly, then roasted it with coarse
pepper and crushed rosemary. I have been buying fattier cuts for so long I
forgot how nice this cut is for sandwiches. The first night we had a simple
meal of pork with a drizzle of gravy, boiled russets with butter and dill,
and broc sprinkled with cheddar. It was nice.

Have a nice dinner guys!.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I picked up 3 more tenderloin packages at the 2.99/lb price for total under
$20 for the freezer. Plus, Cornish game hens (2) at 1.99/lb. Never cooked
those before, either!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Zeppo" > wrote:

> I usually brown a tenderloin on all sides in a pan then pop it in the oven
> (in the pan I browned it in) at 400F for 12 minutes. It comes out medium
> rare, juicy and tender. You were talking about pork tenderloins, right. A
> pound to 1.25 pounds each? Not pork loin roast which can be 3-4 pounds?

Hell, I'm confused. It's the boneless pork loin that you buy in a
approx. two foot and ten pound oval hunk that I generally cut into four
oval sections. One or two sections, I process for lean boneless chops
and the others are for roasts. Yeah, the sections can be 3-4 pounds, so
it's definitely loin. From <http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkLoin.html>,
I just assumed it was the tenderloin from a big ole pig. I'm still not
sure if it isn't.
Believe it or not, I have cooked the tenderloins from the link above the
same way and for the same time wrapped together. The tenderloin is *well
done* but still tender, and the fond that a *well done* tenderloin makes
creates outstanding gravy.
I did flatten 1" chunks of a half section and follow Barb's instructions
for method. The method was great and the result was fine but could have
been better. My flour needed more salt at a minimum, and my black iron
pan needed more heat. When the thin meat was done, the flour had turned
kind of light tan. But I know how to deal with that. That was only a
first attempt.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Zeppo" > wrote:
>
>> I usually brown a tenderloin on all sides in a pan then pop it in the
>> oven
>> (in the pan I browned it in) at 400F for 12 minutes. It comes out medium
>> rare, juicy and tender. You were talking about pork tenderloins, right. A
>> pound to 1.25 pounds each? Not pork loin roast which can be 3-4 pounds?

> Hell, I'm confused. It's the boneless pork loin that you buy in a
> approx. two foot and ten pound oval hunk that I generally cut into four
> oval sections. One or two sections, I process for lean boneless chops
> and the others are for roasts. Yeah, the sections can be 3-4 pounds, so
> it's definitely loin. From <http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkLoin.html>,
> I just assumed it was the tenderloin from a big ole pig. I'm still not
> sure if it isn't.
> Believe it or not, I have cooked the tenderloins from the link above the
> same way and for the same time wrapped together. The tenderloin is *well
> done* but still tender, and the fond that a *well done* tenderloin makes
> creates outstanding gravy.
> I did flatten 1" chunks of a half section and follow Barb's instructions
> for method. The method was great and the result was fine but could have
> been better. My flour needed more salt at a minimum, and my black iron
> pan needed more heat. When the thin meat was done, the flour had turned
> kind of light tan. But I know how to deal with that. That was only a
> first attempt.
>
> leo

The tenderloin is the third from last item on the link that you posted.
It's maybe 2 inches across and about a foot long. The pork loin is the cut
of meat that the tenderloin comes from. The pork loin is a hefty cut of
meat
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> On Oct 15, 12:28 pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
>> Tonight's dinner will be those winter squash and the Hillshire
>> kielbasa... [snip].... Once again I nixed the wild rice... I seem
>> to keep doing that, for more than six years already.
>>

> Wild rice, pace Minnesotans, is dirty stuff.

It's grass seed. I like it with brown rice in chicken soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:58:21 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Tonight's dinner will be those winter squash and the Hillshire
>> kielbasa... sausage has been asimmer on supper low for like an hour to
>> draw out some nitrites and fat. The squash was seasoned with honey,
>> butter, salt and lemon pepper and has just gone into the oven at
>> 375ºF. Once the squash begins to brown I will heap the sausage atop
>> and bake a while longer. Once again I nixed the wild rice... I seem
>> to keep doing that, for more than six years already.
>>
>> Sausage:
>> http://i36.tinypic.com/108frbb.jpg
>>
>> Squash (one of my rare uses for foil):
>> http://i38.tinypic.com/oqbt37.jpg

>I thought that you meant a ground, seasoned sausage when you said heap the
>sausage. I didn't expect a link. Looks tasty. I may have to resort to
>seasoning the winter squash with honey or brown sugar this year. They got
>started a month+ late and frost came early. The squash are fully developed
>but are still watery and somewhat stringy.
>Janet

Popped into the oven just so, was very tasty:
http://i33.tinypic.com/2wohszr.jpg