Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crumbly Meatloaf

My ladyfriend occasionally makes a meat loaf for me but it falls apart
when I try to slice it. What should she do to make it hold together
better? Use less fluid, use less lean meat, what?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 12:39�am, bob edwards > wrote:
> My ladyfriend occasionally makes a meat loaf for me but it falls apart
> when I try to slice it. �What should she do to make it hold together
> better? �Use less fluid, use less lean meat, what?

It sounds like she's putting in too much bread crumbs. I'm assuming
she's putting an egg in it as a binder. I like to keep my meatloaf
simple:

about 20 to 24 ounces ground chuck
1 small diced onion
1 egg
salt and pepper
just enough bread crumbs to hold it together
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
bob edwards > wrote:

> My ladyfriend occasionally makes a meat loaf for me but it falls apart
> when I try to slice it. What should she do to make it hold together
> better? Use less fluid, use less lean meat, what?

I like fresh mushrooms in my meat loaf. I just dice them up and toss
'em in. I like chopped bell pepper in also. Lots of chopped onions.
Well, it tastes good, but it falls to pieces. So now I put lots less
in. I'll assume she puts an egg in. Eggs work well, so maybe another
one would help. Too much liquid will definitely cause it to fall apart,
as will too much filler.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob edwards" > wrote in message
> My ladyfriend occasionally makes a meat loaf for me but it falls apart
> when I try to slice it. What should she do to make it hold together
> better? Use less fluid, use less lean meat, what?

The meat is probably too lean and she doesn't have enough bread crumbs.

Tell her to try using 80/20 ground chuck, add about one raw egg per pound
and enough bread crumbs to hold it together. As it cooks, some of the fat
and juices are absorbed by the bread crumbs and that, along with the eggs,
helps bind things together.

I don't use recipes much, but here is how I made the last meatloaf...

2.5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef
1 large onion diced small
2 eggs
bread crumbs (I'm guessing about a cup +/-)
Salt (I used Lawreys)
pepper
parsley flakes
I can of diced tomatoes, thoroughly drained.
Catsup for the top.

This is a pretty basic recipe but then, my Grandma was a pretty basic cook.
Over the years I have tried adding different things to the recipe but I
always seem to come back to the basics. It is my family's version of
comfort food.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla said...

> "bob edwards" > wrote in message
>> My ladyfriend occasionally makes a meat loaf for me but it falls apart
>> when I try to slice it. What should she do to make it hold together
>> better? Use less fluid, use less lean meat, what?

> The meat is probably too lean and she doesn't have enough bread crumbs.
>
> Tell her to try using 80/20 ground chuck, add about one raw egg per
> pound and enough bread crumbs to hold it together. As it cooks, some of
> the fat and juices are absorbed by the bread crumbs and that, along with
> the eggs, helps bind things together.
>
> I don't use recipes much, but here is how I made the last meatloaf...
>
> 2.5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef
> 1 large onion diced small
> 2 eggs
> bread crumbs (I'm guessing about a cup +/-)
> Salt (I used Lawreys)
> pepper
> parsley flakes
> I can of diced tomatoes, thoroughly drained.
> Catsup for the top.
>
> This is a pretty basic recipe but then, my Grandma was a pretty basic
> cook. Over the years I have tried adding different things to the recipe
> but I always seem to come back to the basics. It is my family's version
> of comfort food.
>
> George L

George L,

Excuse me but...

How UNSPECIFIC can a recipe get.

One large onion... give us grams!
2 Eggs... which size?
Salt... how much?
1 can diced tomatoes... how large a can?
Catsup for the top... how much?

???

Good God man, you're joking?!?

No cookbook would be that vague.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:
> Tell her to try using 80/20 ground chuck, add about one raw egg per
> pound and enough bread crumbs to hold it together. As it cooks, some
> of the fat and juices are absorbed by the bread crumbs and that,
> along with the eggs, helps bind things together.
>
> I don't use recipes much, but here is how I made the last meatloaf...
>
> 2.5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef
> 1 large onion diced small
> 2 eggs
> bread crumbs (I'm guessing about a cup +/-)
> Salt (I used Lawreys)
> pepper
> parsley flakes
> I can of diced tomatoes, thoroughly drained.
> Catsup for the top.
>
> This is a pretty basic recipe but then, my Grandma was a pretty basic
> cook. Over the years I have tried adding different things to the
> recipe but I always seem to come back to the basics. It is my
> family's version of comfort food.

Thanks for that George. I will give that a try. I have only tried once to
make one and I didn't like it much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 21:39:52 -0700 (PDT), bob edwards >
wrote:

-->My ladyfriend occasionally makes a meat loaf for me but it falls apart
-->when I try to slice it. What should she do to make it hold together
-->better? Use less fluid, use less lean meat, what?

Do you know what her recipe is, that would help to narrow it down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> George Leppla said...
>

>> "bob edwards" > wrote in message
>>> My ladyfriend occasionally makes a meat loaf for me but it falls apart
>>> when I try to slice it. What should she do to make it hold together
>>> better? Use less fluid, use less lean meat, what?

>> The meat is probably too lean and she doesn't have enough bread crumbs.
>>
>> Tell her to try using 80/20 ground chuck, add about one raw egg per
>> pound and enough bread crumbs to hold it together. As it cooks, some of
>> the fat and juices are absorbed by the bread crumbs and that, along with
>> the eggs, helps bind things together.
>>
>> I don't use recipes much, but here is how I made the last meatloaf...
>>
>> 2.5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef
>> 1 large onion diced small
>> 2 eggs
>> bread crumbs (I'm guessing about a cup +/-)
>> Salt (I used Lawreys)
>> pepper
>> parsley flakes
>> I can of diced tomatoes, thoroughly drained.
>> Catsup for the top.
>>
>> This is a pretty basic recipe but then, my Grandma was a pretty basic
>> cook. Over the years I have tried adding different things to the recipe
>> but I always seem to come back to the basics. It is my family's version
>> of comfort food.
>>
>> George L

> George L,
>
> Excuse me but...
>
> How UNSPECIFIC can a recipe get.
>
> One large onion... give us grams!
> 2 Eggs... which size?
> Salt... how much?
> 1 can diced tomatoes... how large a can?
> Catsup for the top... how much?
>
> ???
>
> Good God man, you're joking?!?
>
> No cookbook would be that vague.
>
> Andy

That's because he's cooking, not making a recipe. That's the way real cooks
cook.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob edwards wrote:
> My ladyfriend occasionally makes a meat loaf for me but it falls apart
> when I try to slice it. What should she do to make it hold together
> better? Use less fluid, use less lean meat, what?

Do you let it sit for 15-20 minutes after it is cooked?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> George Leppla said...
>>

>>> "bob edwards" > wrote in message
>>> ..
>>> .
>>>
>>> The meat is probably too lean and she doesn't have enough bread
>>> crumbs.
>>>
>>> Tell her to try using 80/20 ground chuck, add about one raw egg per
>>> pound and enough bread crumbs to hold it together. As it cooks, some
>>> of the fat and juices are absorbed by the bread crumbs and that, along
>>> with the eggs, helps bind things together.
>>>
>>> I don't use recipes much, but here is how I made the last meatloaf...
>>>
>>> 2.5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef
>>> 1 large onion diced small
>>> 2 eggs
>>> bread crumbs (I'm guessing about a cup +/-)
>>> Salt (I used Lawreys)
>>> pepper
>>> parsley flakes
>>> I can of diced tomatoes, thoroughly drained.
>>> Catsup for the top.
>>>
>>> This is a pretty basic recipe but then, my Grandma was a pretty basic
>>> cook. Over the years I have tried adding different things to the
>>> recipe but I always seem to come back to the basics. It is my
>>> family's version of comfort food.
>>>
>>> George L

>> George L,
>>
>> Excuse me but...
>>
>> How UNSPECIFIC can a recipe get.
>>
>> One large onion... give us grams!
>> 2 Eggs... which size?
>> Salt... how much?
>> 1 can diced tomatoes... how large a can?
>> Catsup for the top... how much?
>>
>> ???
>>
>> Good God man, you're joking?!?
>>
>> No cookbook would be that vague.
>>
>> Andy

> That's because he's cooking, not making a recipe. That's the way real
> cooks cook.
>
> Ms P

Mornin' Ms P,

George L. posted a questionable recipe at best

Too many blanks, imho!!!

Imagine 1,000s of members guessing what he means? No thank you ma'am.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> George Leppla said...
>
>> "bob edwards" > wrote in message
>>> My ladyfriend occasionally makes a meat loaf for me but it falls apart
>>> when I try to slice it. What should she do to make it hold together
>>> better? Use less fluid, use less lean meat, what?

>> The meat is probably too lean and she doesn't have enough bread crumbs.
>>
>> Tell her to try using 80/20 ground chuck, add about one raw egg per
>> pound and enough bread crumbs to hold it together. As it cooks, some of
>> the fat and juices are absorbed by the bread crumbs and that, along with
>> the eggs, helps bind things together.
>>
>> I don't use recipes much, but here is how I made the last meatloaf...
>>
>> 2.5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef
>> 1 large onion diced small
>> 2 eggs
>> bread crumbs (I'm guessing about a cup +/-)
>> Salt (I used Lawreys)
>> pepper
>> parsley flakes
>> I can of diced tomatoes, thoroughly drained.
>> Catsup for the top.
>>
>> This is a pretty basic recipe but then, my Grandma was a pretty basic
>> cook. Over the years I have tried adding different things to the recipe
>> but I always seem to come back to the basics. It is my family's version
>> of comfort food.
>>
>> George L

> George L,
>
> Excuse me but...
>
> How UNSPECIFIC can a recipe get.
>
> One large onion... give us grams!
> 2 Eggs... which size?
> Salt... how much?
> 1 can diced tomatoes... how large a can?
> Catsup for the top... how much?
>
> ???
>
> Good God man, you're joking?!?
>
> No cookbook would be that vague.
>
> Andy

I don't believe he was authoring a cook book. What he wrote is exactly
how I cook. You get to know the ranges of proportions and what goes with
what etc. and just do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob edwards" > wrote in message
> My ladyfriend occasionally makes a meat loaf for me but it falls apart
> when I try to slice it. What should she do to make it hold together
> better? Use less fluid, use less lean meat, what?

1. If the meat is too lean the meat loaf will fall apart
2. Egg is the primary GLUE that will bind the meat/filler/vegetables.
3. The grind of the meat will also effect the texture.
4. Do not forget to let the meat loaf REST (out of the oven) for 5 to 10
minutes before slicing.

Have her start with this recipe and maintain the ratios of filler/meat/egg.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/me...T-LOAF-1233712

--
Dimitri
Coming soon:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:02:03 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Ms P said...
>

>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>> George Leppla said...

>>> George L,
>>>
>>> Excuse me but...
>>>
>>> How UNSPECIFIC can a recipe get.
>>>
>>> One large onion... give us grams!

grams? piker. i insist all my recipes have measurements in micrograms.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> George Leppla said...
>

>> "bob edwards" > wrote in message
>>> My ladyfriend occasionally makes a meat loaf for me but it falls apart
>>> when I try to slice it. What should she do to make it hold together
>>> better? Use less fluid, use less lean meat, what?

>> The meat is probably too lean and she doesn't have enough bread crumbs.
>>
>> Tell her to try using 80/20 ground chuck, add about one raw egg per
>> pound and enough bread crumbs to hold it together. As it cooks, some of
>> the fat and juices are absorbed by the bread crumbs and that, along with
>> the eggs, helps bind things together.
>>
>> I don't use recipes much, but here is how I made the last meatloaf...
>>
>> 2.5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef
>> 1 large onion diced small
>> 2 eggs
>> bread crumbs (I'm guessing about a cup +/-)
>> Salt (I used Lawreys)
>> pepper
>> parsley flakes
>> I can of diced tomatoes, thoroughly drained.
>> Catsup for the top.
>>
>> This is a pretty basic recipe but then, my Grandma was a pretty basic
>> cook. Over the years I have tried adding different things to the recipe
>> but I always seem to come back to the basics. It is my family's version
>> of comfort food.
>>
>> George L

> George L,
>
> Excuse me but...
>
> How UNSPECIFIC can a recipe get.

Well....... for the Anal Retentive among you, I will try to be more
specific:

> One large onion... give us grams!

Sorry, I stopped weighing things in grams back in 1968... or I think it was
'68. Parts of that year are hard to remember and that has to do with what I
was weighing.

Dice up some onions and throw in two handsfull. That is one large onion.
One handful is a small onion. If you have tiny little girlie hands, add
extra.

> 2 Eggs... which size?

The eggs should be slightly smaller than the chicken's asshole.

> Salt... how much?

Did you ever go swimming in the ocean? Not that salty.

> 1 can diced tomatoes... how large a can?

Get one that is big enough so that if you threw it at someone, you would put
a dent in their head but not kill them. Grandma could throw one about 15
feet with amazing accuracy. That range covered the whole kitchen.

> Catsup for the top... how much?

About 88 cents a bottle when it is on sale.

> No cookbook would be that vague.

Agreed, but then, I'm a cook, not an author. The best way to learn how to
cook anything the way I do it is to come down to Shreveport and watch me do
it. The door is always open and visitors are welcome.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George said...

@b3g2000pre.googlegroups.com...
>>> The meat is probably too lean and she doesn't have enough bread crumbs.
>>>
>>> Tell her to try using 80/20 ground chuck, add about one raw egg per
>>> pound and enough bread crumbs to hold it together. As it cooks, some

of
>>> the fat and juices are absorbed by the bread crumbs and that, along

with
>>> the eggs, helps bind things together.
>>>
>>> I don't use recipes much, but here is how I made the last meatloaf...
>>>
>>> 2.5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef
>>> 1 large onion diced small
>>> 2 eggs
>>> bread crumbs (I'm guessing about a cup +/-)
>>> Salt (I used Lawreys)
>>> pepper
>>> parsley flakes
>>> I can of diced tomatoes, thoroughly drained.
>>> Catsup for the top.
>>>
>>> This is a pretty basic recipe but then, my Grandma was a pretty basic
>>> cook. Over the years I have tried adding different things to the recipe
>>> but I always seem to come back to the basics. It is my family's

version
>>> of comfort food.
>>>
>>> George L

>> George L,
>>
>> Excuse me but...
>>
>> How UNSPECIFIC can a recipe get.
>>
>> One large onion... give us grams!
>> 2 Eggs... which size?
>> Salt... how much?
>> 1 can diced tomatoes... how large a can?
>> Catsup for the top... how much?
>>
>> ???
>>
>> Good God man, you're joking?!?
>>
>> No cookbook would be that vague.
>>
>> Andy

> I don't believe he was authoring a cook book. What he wrote is exactly
> how I cook. You get to know the ranges of proportions and what goes with
> what etc. and just do it.

Excuse me, but if somebody is gonna hand off a recipe to rfc, you'ld
hopfully figure it would be complete and not leave members to "wing it"
right off the bat!

It was entirely unclear to me.

Sorry!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

That's recipe is something I'd expect from rec.food.recipes.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> George Leppla said...

>>> The meat is probably too lean and she doesn't have enough bread crumbs.
>>>
>>> Tell her to try using 80/20 ground chuck, add about one raw egg per
>>> pound and enough bread crumbs to hold it together. As it cooks, some of
>>> the fat and juices are absorbed by the bread crumbs and that, along with
>>> the eggs, helps bind things together.
>>>
>>> I don't use recipes much, but here is how I made the last meatloaf...
>>>
>>> 2.5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef
>>> 1 large onion diced small
>>> 2 eggs
>>> bread crumbs (I'm guessing about a cup +/-)
>>> Salt (I used Lawreys)
>>> pepper
>>> parsley flakes
>>> I can of diced tomatoes, thoroughly drained.
>>> Catsup for the top.
>>>
>>> This is a pretty basic recipe but then, my Grandma was a pretty basic
>>> cook. Over the years I have tried adding different things to the recipe
>>> but I always seem to come back to the basics. It is my family's version
>>> of comfort food.
>>>
>>> George L

>> George L,
>>
>> Excuse me but...
>>
>> How UNSPECIFIC can a recipe get.
>>
>> One large onion... give us grams!
>> 2 Eggs... which size?
>> Salt... how much?
>> 1 can diced tomatoes... how large a can?
>> Catsup for the top... how much?
>>
>> ???
>>
>> Good God man, you're joking?!?
>>
>> No cookbook would be that vague.
>>
>> Andy

> I don't believe he was authoring a cook book. What he wrote is exactly
> how I cook. You get to know the ranges of proportions and what goes with
> what etc. and just do it.

Same here. I don't buy exact amounts of ground meat. I buy a small
package for a small loaf and a larger package for larger loaves. I buy
bags of onions. They vary in size.If they are small I might use two
instead of one large one. I rarely follow recipes exactly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 11:26:19 -0400, blake murphy >
wrote:

-->On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:02:03 -0500, Andy wrote:
-->
-->> Ms P said...
-->>
-->>>
-->>> "Andy" > wrote in message
-->>> ...
-->>>> George Leppla said...
-->>>>
-->>>>>
-->>>>> "bob edwards" > wrote in message
-->>>>> ..
-->>>>> .
[...]

I'll take it in ounces, I have the ability to convert to grams ;0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> George L,
>
> Excuse me but...
>
> How UNSPECIFIC can a recipe get.
>
> One large onion... give us grams!
> 2 Eggs... which size?
> Salt... how much?
> 1 can diced tomatoes... how large a can?
> Catsup for the top... how much?
>
> ???
>
> Good God man, you're joking?!?
>
> No cookbook would be that vague.
>
> Andy

More proof that Andy has never, ever cooked anything more than warming up a
TV dinner in his entire life. That's why he manhandles the bread and cries
on a newsgroup when his favorite restaurant doesn't open exactly when he
demands that it be open. What a pathetic loser.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jenny said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> George L,
>>
>> Excuse me but...
>>
>> How UNSPECIFIC can a recipe get.
>>
>> One large onion... give us grams!
>> 2 Eggs... which size?
>> Salt... how much?
>> 1 can diced tomatoes... how large a can?
>> Catsup for the top... how much?
>>
>> ???
>>
>> Good God man, you're joking?!?
>>
>> No cookbook would be that vague.
>>
>> Andy

> More proof that Andy has never, ever cooked anything more than warming
> up a TV dinner in his entire life. That's why he manhandles the bread
> and cries on a newsgroup when his favorite restaurant doesn't open
> exactly when he demands that it be open. What a pathetic loser.

"Jenny" squirts,

Now you're embarassing both sexes.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> bob edwards > wrote:
>
>> My ladyfriend occasionally makes a meat loaf for me but it falls apart
>> when I try to slice it. What should she do to make it hold together
>> better? Use less fluid, use less lean meat, what?

> I like fresh mushrooms in my meat loaf. I just dice them up and toss
> 'em in. I like chopped bell pepper in also. Lots of chopped onions.
> Well, it tastes good, but it falls to pieces. So now I put lots less
> in. I'll assume she puts an egg in. \

Egg and bread are meatloaf mortar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

>> Good God man, you're joking?!?
>>
>> No cookbook would be that vague.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Andy, you must be the only one on RFC who couldn't make a meatloaf based
> on those guidelines. Most people who know how to cook would understand
> what George wrote. He already stated that he doesn't really use a recipe.
> Besides, the OP was not asking for a recipe, only comments on what made
> his ladyfriend's meatloaf crumble.

FWIW... I took Andy's reply as being intentionally humorous and I replied to
him in a humorous manner.

If I was wrong, instead of laughing with him, I'll just start laughing at
him. Either way, I'm laughing and that makes it a good day.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"George Leppla" > wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> >> No cookbook would be that vague.
> >>

> > Andy, you must be the only one on RFC who couldn't make a meatloaf based
> > on those guidelines.

No, I'm sure there are several others. That doesn't include me.

> > Most people who know how to cook would understand
> > what George wrote.

Some people on this group obviously don't know how to cook. From the
pictures I've see, Andy does OK.

> FWIW... I took Andy's reply as being intentionally humorous and I replied to
> him in a humorous manner.
>
> If I was wrong, instead of laughing with him, I'll just start laughing at
> him. Either way, I'm laughing and that makes it a good day.

You have a good attitude, George, and I like that. Becca is a lucky
person to have you (and you are a lucky person to have her). May your
meatloaves always be firm and succulent.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 11:05:20 -0400, George >
wrote:

>Andy wrote:
>> George Leppla said...

>>> The meat is probably too lean and she doesn't have enough bread crumbs.
>>>
>>> Tell her to try using 80/20 ground chuck, add about one raw egg per
>>> pound and enough bread crumbs to hold it together. As it cooks, some of
>>> the fat and juices are absorbed by the bread crumbs and that, along with
>>> the eggs, helps bind things together.
>>>
>>> I don't use recipes much, but here is how I made the last meatloaf...
>>>
>>> 2.5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef
>>> 1 large onion diced small
>>> 2 eggs
>>> bread crumbs (I'm guessing about a cup +/-)
>>> Salt (I used Lawreys)
>>> pepper
>>> parsley flakes
>>> I can of diced tomatoes, thoroughly drained.
>>> Catsup for the top.
>>>
>>> This is a pretty basic recipe but then, my Grandma was a pretty basic
>>> cook. Over the years I have tried adding different things to the recipe
>>> but I always seem to come back to the basics. It is my family's version
>>> of comfort food.
>>>
>>> George L

>> George L,
>>
>> Excuse me but...
>>
>> How UNSPECIFIC can a recipe get.
>>
>> One large onion... give us grams!
>> 2 Eggs... which size?
>> Salt... how much?
>> 1 can diced tomatoes... how large a can?
>> Catsup for the top... how much?
>>
>> ???
>>
>> Good God man, you're joking?!?
>>
>> No cookbook would be that vague.
>>
>> Andy

>I don't believe he was authoring a cook book. What he wrote is exactly
>how I cook. You get to know the ranges of proportions and what goes with
>what etc. and just do it.

Don't need any stinkin' meat loaf recipe. I wish I had my exes meat
loaf recipe, was the one thing she did well... consisted of a mixture
of canned salmon, cottage cheese, egg, bread crumbs, and frozen mixed
vegetables.. probably some seasoning, etc. all stuffed into a loaf pan
and baked. Only thing I was sorry I told her it was good because then
she made it twice week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 11:31*am, SCP > wrote:

> I'll take it in ounces, I have the ability to convert to grams ;0

learn to trim posts, ******!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob edwards wrote:

> My ladyfriend occasionally makes a meat loaf for me but it falls apart
> when I try to slice it. What should she do to make it hold together
> better? Use less fluid, use less lean meat, what?

This has probly already been mentioned but im not wading through 30
posts to find out

If you want an extremely fine grained, pate like meat loaf, for easy
slicing, puree the veggies in a food processor, and for 1 pound of meat
use 1/2 cup of liquid so one can make a somewhat liquid mixture. Such
an approach will bake up into a pate like loaf that can be sliced quite
thin.

If you simply want a less crumbly meat loaf, but still more chunky than
pate like, just dice or grate the veggies finely. Use any fillers or
eggs if you want, i don't, i use veggies, herbs and spices with, most
often ground beef and pork mix. Now if you can get some ground veal to
add in there ......

Let me know if you are interested in my herb and spice additions, i
occasionally make a meat loaf with eggplant & a brandied walnut pesto
and i have a recipe for a very spicy "Tex-Nex" style meat loaf.

Here's a copy of the Leah Wolf recipe from her book "Jewish Cookery."
It was the recipe that led me to pureeing my veggies. The first time i
made her recipe i made it exactly as she wrote it even 'grating' the
whole onion. But even as i was making it i thought to my self "well
next time the food processor." Course the first time i added the amount
of liquid she calls for i thought i had made a serious error, it created
an almost liquid, soupy mix that i just did not think could possibly be
right, but there was nothing else to do but put it in the oven and see
what happened.

And due to the extra liquid a particularly well mixed meat loaf mix
results which bakes up into a fine grained, almost pate like loaf. I
make several changes to the following recipe, let me know if your
interested in them.

Leah Wolf: Jewish Cookery.

Baked Meat Loaf

1 & 1/2 pound chopped beef

1/2 cup soft bread crumbs or cooked rice

1 large onion, finely minced or grated

1 large carrot finely minced or grated

1 (or more to taste) cloves of garlic, grated

2 eggs

1/2 cup water, stock or wine

3 tablespoons shortening, or lard or vegetable oil

paprika (optional)

ketchup (optional)

combine all ingredients except shortening and paprika. Form into a
loaf. Melt shortening in loaf pan and place meat loaf in. pressing
into shape of pan. Dust with paprika or cover top with a thin layer of
ketchup. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F. for 45 minutes or
till evenly browned on top.
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>grams? piker. i insist all my recipes have measurements in micrograms.

I'm from the left side of the big pond. Give me ounces!

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 11 Oct 2009 05:31:07a, Andy told us...
>
>> George Leppla said...

>>> The meat is probably too lean and she doesn't have enough bread crumbs.
>>>
>>> Tell her to try using 80/20 ground chuck, add about one raw egg per
>>> pound and enough bread crumbs to hold it together. As it cooks, some
>>> of the fat and juices are absorbed by the bread crumbs and that, along
>>> with the eggs, helps bind things together.
>>>
>>> I don't use recipes much, but here is how I made the last meatloaf...
>>>
>>> 2.5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef
>>> 1 large onion diced small
>>> 2 eggs
>>> bread crumbs (I'm guessing about a cup +/-)
>>> Salt (I used Lawreys)
>>> pepper
>>> parsley flakes
>>> I can of diced tomatoes, thoroughly drained.
>>> Catsup for the top.
>>>
>>> This is a pretty basic recipe but then, my Grandma was a pretty basic
>>> cook. Over the years I have tried adding different things to the recipe
>>> but I always seem to come back to the basics. It is my family's
>>> version of comfort food.
>>>
>>> George L

>> George L,
>>
>> Excuse me but...
>>
>> How UNSPECIFIC can a recipe get.
>>
>> One large onion... give us grams!
>> 2 Eggs... which size?
>> Salt... how much?
>> 1 can diced tomatoes... how large a can?
>> Catsup for the top... how much?
>>
>> ???
>>
>> Good God man, you're joking?!?
>>
>> No cookbook would be that vague.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Andy, you must be the only one on RFC who couldn't make a meatloaf based
> on those guidelines. Most people who know how to cook would understand
> what George wrote. He already stated that he doesn't really use a recipe.
> Besides, the OP was not asking for a recipe, only comments on what made
> his ladyfriend's meatloaf crumble.

Judging from the two minutes of discussion with ANDY in the chat group
before blocking him its self evident he has nothing but a firm grip on
his choccy button and no idea about much else .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:40:05 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

> In article >, Andy > wrote:
>
>> It was entirely unclear to me.

> I don't see how. You have judgement. You have the basic ingredients
> in basic quantities. Eggs are most often found in medium to large at
> the grocery store, it isn't that huge a difference, and this isn't a
> souffle. Most people don't buy the #10 cans, and have a basic
> familiarity with cans of tomatoes. It isn't as big a deal as you are
> making it.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

andy needs a set of detailed instructions when he puts his socks on in the
morning.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:40:05 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
>
>> In article >, Andy > wrote:
>>
>>> It was entirely unclear to me.

>> I don't see how. You have judgement. You have the basic ingredients
>> in basic quantities. Eggs are most often found in medium to large at
>> the grocery store, it isn't that huge a difference, and this isn't a
>> souffle. Most people don't buy the #10 cans, and have a basic
>> familiarity with cans of tomatoes. It isn't as big a deal as you are
>> making it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

> andy needs a set of detailed instructions when he puts his socks on in the
> morning.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Oh, now you're in for another spate of nasty posts, Blake.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:
>blake murphy wrote:
>>
>> andy needs a set of detailed instructions when he puts his socks on in the
>> morning.

>Oh, now you're in for another spate of nasty posts, Blake.

Oh Yeah, especially once Andy starts rubbing it in that what would the
mick know from wearing socks. Hehehhe. . . .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> George said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> George Leppla said...

> @b3g2000pre.googlegroups.com...

> of

> with

> version

>>> George L,
>>>
>>> Excuse me but...
>>>
>>> How UNSPECIFIC can a recipe get.
>>>
>>> One large onion... give us grams!
>>> 2 Eggs... which size?
>>> Salt... how much?
>>> 1 can diced tomatoes... how large a can?
>>> Catsup for the top... how much?
>>>
>>> ???
>>>
>>> Good God man, you're joking?!?
>>>
>>> No cookbook would be that vague.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> I don't believe he was authoring a cook book. What he wrote is exactly
>> how I cook. You get to know the ranges of proportions and what goes with
>> what etc. and just do it.

> Excuse me, but if somebody is gonna hand off a recipe to rfc, you'ld
> hopfully figure it would be complete and not leave members to "wing it"
> right off the bat!

Why not? It is a cooking group.

> It was entirely unclear to me.

I guess it depends on how you do things. I seldom follow any sort of
recipe. I just scan them if looking for a new idea and proceed with what
I might like such as more or less of a certain ingredient or maybe
even a totally different combination.

> Sorry!
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Andy wrote:

> > Excuse me, but if somebody is gonna hand off a recipe to rfc, you'ld
> > hopfully figure it would be complete and not leave members to "wing it"
> > right off the bat!

You're excused.

> Why not? It is a cooking group.

> > It was entirely unclear to me.

That's your clue to move on to the next post. If you really need a
recipe for meatloaf, there's probably a couple out there on the
internet. Sometimes I cook from a recipe. Often I don't. I just throw
stuff in. Darned if I'm going to go measure ingredients and write down
quantities, especially if I wasn't planning on making that food in the
near future.

> I guess it depends on how you do things. I seldom follow any sort of
> recipe. I just scan them if looking for a new idea and proceed with what
> I might like such as more or less of a certain ingredient or maybe
> even a totally different combination.

Yeah, that's what I do also. Now, my wife likes to bake. She uses
recipes for that.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 00:03:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I pretty much have the same philosphy about cooking as you do. Baking,
>OTOH, is a good part chemistry and recipes are often needed to succeed.

Yeahbut even those get blurry in my house. I may have one in front of
me, but it's not followed exactly.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 00:03:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>I pretty much have the same philosphy about cooking as you do. Baking,
>>OTOH, is a good part chemistry and recipes are often needed to succeed.

> Yeahbut even those get blurry in my house. I may have one in front of
> me, but it's not followed exactly.

My mother, who really was a fine baker, believed that precision was
important in baking. Her pies and cakes were nearly good enough for me to
forgive the incredibly dense Sunday Eye Roast.

what can I make from crumbly dry pie crust Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 10 22-07-2009 06:56 PM
Almond crust that's not crumbly Peppermint Patootie Diabetic 18 05-08-2008 10:47 PM
crumbly, dry cork [email protected] Wine 2 05-10-2007 06:18 PM
Bread Too Crumbly Tony Baking 6 20-04-2004 06:59 PM
Crumbly bread Laurie Sourdough 6 16-03-2004 05:43 AM