Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Apologies: Bread machines again

ggroups search function no longer goes back more than a month that I
can tell when one searches on bread machines or bread machine. Mine
croaked.

How much better are Zojirushi's over Breadmans? I have never seen a
Zoji on the shelf, and the Breadman looks better than the Oster or
Black and Decker that are the other options at the local stores.

I make at least two batches of dough a week, in 2 lb quantities, so
want a machine that will last. At least the old one will make a good
doorstop<g>

I did check epionions and consumer reports, but shoot me, I trust you
all to be brutally honest about your machines...<G>

TIA
maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> ggroups search function no longer goes back more than a month that I
> can tell when one searches on bread machines or bread machine. Mine
> croaked.
>
> How much better are Zojirushi's over Breadmans? I have never seen a
> Zoji on the shelf, and the Breadman looks better than the Oster or
> Black and Decker that are the other options at the local stores.
>
> I make at least two batches of dough a week, in 2 lb quantities, so
> want a machine that will last. At least the old one will make a good
> doorstop<g>
>
> I did check epionions and consumer reports, but shoot me, I trust you
> all to be brutally honest about your machines...<G>
>
> TIA
> maxine in ri

From some ten years of looking at bread machines and even longer using
them I have seen comments that the Zoji is the Cadillac of bread
machines. Never owned one. Our current one is a Regal and it is a work
horse and has never failed us. Makes up to a 2 lb loaf but I make mostly
1 lb loaves as there are just the two of us.

I steer clear of Black and Decker appliances as I've had two can openers
and a stick blender croak on me in their first year of life. I had an
Oster Kitchen Center blender combo for 25 years and it was a good one, I
miss it but they don't make them or support them anymore and DW was
complaining about the ones I bought at thrift stores to cannibalize
parts from.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> ggroups search function no longer goes back more than a month that I
> can tell when one searches on bread machines or bread machine. Mine
> croaked.
>
> How much better are Zojirushi's over Breadmans? I have never seen a
> Zoji on the shelf, and the Breadman looks better than the Oster or
> Black and Decker that are the other options at the local stores.
>
> I make at least two batches of dough a week, in 2 lb quantities, so
> want a machine that will last. At least the old one will make a good
> doorstop<g>
>
> I did check epionions and consumer reports, but shoot me, I trust you
> all to be brutally honest about your machines...<G>
>
> TIA
> maxine in ri

You might like to try posting your query on alt.bread.recipes where this
query often arises. I don't use a bread machine but I understand that the
Zoji is very, very good and the Panasonic is also often recommended.
HTH
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" wrote

> How much better are Zojirushi's over Breadmans?
> I make at least two batches of dough a week, in 2 lb quantities, so
> want a machine that will last.

I've never had a Zojirushi. I do have a Breadman Ultimate and a Cuisinart
CBK-100.

Breadman Ulti- The reviews are correct on the Flat panel display being hard
to read. You have to look straight down to see it very well which is hard
to do on a countertop if you are 5'1" tall like me. Conversely it has a
very good distinctive 'beep tone' set making it suitable for blind users.
The manual is extensive and available online in PDF which works with their
screen readers. (This is probably nothing you need, but 2 of our readers in
alt.bread.recipes find that useful). The breadman ulti is *very* flexible
with instense programability. So much so, that it can actually be a bit
hard to use for a person's first machine. Flex your fingers as you will
have to work throguh several menus. Replacement paddles are difficult to
obtain but the paddle for the CBK-100 will fit ;-) The paddle fits losely
which I personally deem a flaw as I never remove it before baking and this
caused loss of one when the heel of some old bread was tossed out.

I picked up a Cuisinart CBK-100 when frustrated trying to get a replacement
BM Ulti paddle for less than 60$. The CBK-100 that arrived was dead. Don
flipped out the paddle on a whim while I called for a replacement machine.
The paddle worked in the BM Ulti. Cuisinart shipped me a free replacement
machine and I got 4 spare paddles. If the CBK-100 has a flaw, it's main one
for a new user would be the manual. An experienced user will not care but
it's not got much to it and it re-iterates over and over to 'spoon the
flour' (ignore that and use whatever tactic you are used to that works for
you). It also lacks the extensive flexibility of the BM Ulti but is a very
easy to use machine. The paddle fits tightly which I consider a bonus. It
has 11 preset types, one of which is Jam and one is 'bake only'. All the
more common ones as you'd expect and even one for a gluten free. Of course
a dough only. Standard 3 levels of crust control. 2-3 buttons pushed and
you are done usually. Smaller footprint than the BM Ulti.

I've had several machines over the last 15 years. If I'm going to do
something really fancy, I use the BM Ulti. Normal days though, I just want
a simple white or mixed rye, and the CBK-100 wins. I was actually quite
happy with the BM Ulti but it's larger footprint in my countertop challanged
place, had it go to storage after use while the CBK-100 fits so stays out
all the time.

For a new user, CBK-100 wins for all that the manual isnt very good. For an
experienced user who wants to upgrade and have a powerful flexibility wth an
extensive manual to support it, the BM Ulti wins (just remember to get some
CBK-100 paddles, and have a step stool if you need one to see direct down
the top!).

Hows that for a review?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" wrote
> "maxine in ri" wrote

>> I did check epionions and consumer reports, but shoot me, I trust you
>> all to be brutally honest about your machines...<G>

> You might like to try posting your query on alt.bread.recipes where this
> query often arises. I don't use a bread machine but I understand that the
> Zoji is very, very good and the Panasonic is also often recommended.

Yup! One of them may have a Zoji as well. I've had Panasonic's as well in
the past. It may be the timeframe but I recall them as a little too limited
for my needs now, although I started with one and was happy for years until
I wore it out. The flaws of then may not be true today because they've
advanced in machines since then. The old ones were prone to motor burnout
if you make many 'heavy' breads. Anythiung much more than a simple white,
and you'd hear it struggle. BTW, the BM Ulti is a real power-horse on that
score but the CBK-100 is sufficient to a 2 lb 2 cup whole wheat, 2 cup rye
recipe. If adding nuts or onions, dry fruit, cheese etc to that 2WW/2Rye
mix, I use the BM Ulti as i suspect the CBK-100 may not be happy with that
dense of a dough.

Oh Maxine, if you come over to the alt.bread.recipes, be advised that top
posting *is* allowed there. There are several using screen readers over
there and and at least 1 of them can't post any other way because of their
version. Poor nb ran into that by accident ;-) It was slightly painful
as I'd invited him over and forgot to warn him about that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 3, 8:33*pm, maxine in ri > wrote:
> ggroups search function no longer goes back more than a month that I
> can tell when one searches on bread machines or bread machine. *Mine
> croaked.
>
> How much better are Zojirushi's over Breadmans? *I have never seen a
> Zoji on the shelf, and the Breadman looks better than the Oster or
> Black and Decker that are the other options at the local stores.
>
> I make at least two batches of dough a week, in 2 lb quantities, so
> want a machine that will last. *At least the old one will make a good
> doorstop<g>
>
> I did check epionions and consumer reports, but shoot me, I trust you
> all to be brutally honest about your machines...<G>

> maxine in ri

I have a 20 year old Hitachi, still going strong. It's used at least
twice a week. I also have a Rival, not as old, but works well too.
I would NOT buy anything by Cuisinart as my only advice.

Did you ask over in the bread group?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message

I would NOT buy anything by Cuisinart as my only advice.

Why not?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>
> I would NOT buy anything by Cuisinart as my only advice.
>
> Why not?

Probably because it costs more than $15.99

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>
> I would NOT buy anything by Cuisinart as my only advice.
>
> Why not?

I love my http://tinyurl.com/Cuisinart-GR-4-Griddler .

For an indoor grill that I have had for the past several years, I am
very happy with it. Sandwich press for any thickness. As long as the
meat is even in cut, does an excellent job of indoor grilling with out
much mess. Has separate controls for each side so you can double the
cook surface, and make different items at the same time. Comes with a
set of griddle plates as well as the grill plates. The plates detach and
can be cleaned separate. I will say I do not like the quality of the
non-stick surface, but I still have not had a sticking issue. I use it
weekly if not a little more often. As mentioned, it has separate temp
controls, so if you want to make not same items at the same time, that's
not an issue.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> ggroups search function no longer goes back more than a month that I
> can tell when one searches on bread machines or bread machine. Mine
> croaked.
>
> How much better are Zojirushi's over Breadmans? I have never seen a
> Zoji on the shelf, and the Breadman looks better than the Oster or
> Black and Decker that are the other options at the local stores.
>
> I make at least two batches of dough a week, in 2 lb quantities, so
> want a machine that will last. At least the old one will make a good
> doorstop<g>
>
> I did check epionions and consumer reports, but shoot me, I trust you
> all to be brutally honest about your machines...<G>
>
> TIA
> maxine in ri

I have the original Zoji. It's going on 19 years old. Every time I use it
I wonder is this the last loaf it's going to make? I use mine mostly for
mixing up dough. The kids do the timed bread feature. With that said... my
parents and my brother both had newer zojis. My brother has one my parents
didn't like. The bread pan is vertical like mine. Problem is it walks
around the counter when in use. My dad wouldn't put up with that gave it to
my brother, who has figured a way to use it just fine. My parents have the
horizontal zoji now and it works great. They love it. When visiting we'll
make 2 or 3 loves.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 12:08:02 -0700, "King's Crown" >
wrote:

>"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
>> ggroups search function no longer goes back more than a month that I
>> can tell when one searches on bread machines or bread machine. Mine
>> croaked.
>>
>> How much better are Zojirushi's over Breadmans? I have never seen a
>> Zoji on the shelf, and the Breadman looks better than the Oster or
>> Black and Decker that are the other options at the local stores.
>>
>> I make at least two batches of dough a week, in 2 lb quantities, so
>> want a machine that will last. At least the old one will make a good
>> doorstop<g>
>>
>> I did check epionions and consumer reports, but shoot me, I trust you
>> all to be brutally honest about your machines...<G>
>>
>> TIA
>> maxine in ri

>I have the original Zoji. It's going on 19 years old. Every time I use it
>I wonder is this the last loaf it's going to make? I use mine mostly for
>mixing up dough. The kids do the timed bread feature. With that said... my
>parents and my brother both had newer zojis. My brother has one my parents
>didn't like. The bread pan is vertical like mine. Problem is it walks
>around the counter when in use. My dad wouldn't put up with that gave it to
>my brother, who has figured a way to use it just fine. My parents have the
>horizontal zoji now and it works great. They love it. When visiting we'll
>make 2 or 3 loves.
>
>Lynne

I've been using my Welbilt nearly 20 years, works very well, takes
very little counter space, and I enjoy having that big viewing dome:
http://i34.tinypic.com/ortkky.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> You might like to try posting your query on alt.bread.recipes where
> this query often arises. I don't use a bread machine but I
> understand that the Zoji is very, very good and the Panasonic is also
> often recommended.

You are right, Graham. The Zojirushi is terrific. Both their breadmaker and
their rice maker that we own perform in a stellar manner.

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> I've been using my Welbilt nearly 20 years, works very well, takes
> very little counter space, and I enjoy having that big viewing dome:
> http://i34.tinypic.com/ortkky.jpg

That is cool, Shel. I'm a sucker for watching machines work. If I wasn't so
busy, I could enjoy sitting and watching my front loader washing machine.
:-o

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 13:48:28 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>brooklyn1 wrote:
>

>> I've been using my Welbilt nearly 20 years, works very well, takes
>> very little counter space, and I enjoy having that big viewing dome:
>> http://i34.tinypic.com/ortkky.jpg

>That is cool, Shel. I'm a sucker for watching machines work. If I wasn't so
>busy, I could enjoy sitting and watching my front loader washing machine.
>:-o

Sixty years ago Sears displayed a front loader with poker chips
sloshing about in their Kiddy Korner, parents could drop their rug
rats off with the matron and shop for a couple hours, when they
returned there they were still hypnotized.

bread machines Mr. G D Geen Baking 12 16-03-2007 09:25 PM
FAQ and bread machines Tara Banfield Sourdough 5 18-06-2006 10:50 PM
Bread machines Bill & Vernie Bauer Baking 1 19-04-2006 04:36 AM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 12:58 PM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 12:58 PM