Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's cooking this weekend?

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Heya all,
>
> I am here trying to figure out what I want to cook this weekend... I
> finally have my NRP and my health testing out of the way, and now I
> only have to heal. So, time to cook-taking my time of course!

How are you holding up? Is the pain manageable?

> Anyway, once I get the kitchen cleaned up, it might be a weekend of
> cooking, for me.
>
> What are the rest of you planning to cook this weekend?

I probably won't be cooking much. Tomorrow's shopping day, and then my
birthday party, which Carin is handling. I'm happy to eat the leftovers
in the fridge (some curries from the other night, and a bit of veggie
chili) or play it by ear.

(Ate a can of soup for breakfast. Oh, the shame!)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Still can't stand or walk that much. So I do things in spurts. Like
> chopping some things up, then going to sit down for a bit. Get up
> again, chop some more or whatever is needed for a mise en place..then
> go sit down again. Repeat as needed. Then stand up some more to put
> dish on to cook, or do the final cooking. I am able to manage this
> way. Takes a lot longer for things to get ready, or to prepare stuff,
> but at least I am doing stuff.

Have you considered chopping stuff up sitting down hon'? ;-)

I feel you on the pain meds. I've tried to avoid even Ibuprofen but I
finally had to take some this morning. I've got an Ortho' appt. this
next Thursday for this screwed up shoulder. Perry thinks I have a torn
Labrum so hopefully Roeder will order an MRI so we can see why it's not
getting better.

With luck, I'll be able to avoid surgery on the right shoulder (I'm VERY
right handed) but only time will tell. In the meantime, I never
realized how much shoulders were involved in simple movements until now.
Even grocery shopping is a painful chore. :-(
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" wrote
> Omelet wrote:

>>Have you considered chopping stuff up sitting down hon'? ;-)

> Yeah, but I sit down so much already, and I do need to move about a
> bit. A bit of standing and walking is okay. Plus, I have to start
> working a bit more on that, as I have to be ready to return to work in
> about 3-5 weeks.

Short stints now are good then, just don't over-do it and have a setback.

>>Even grocery shopping is a painful chore. :-(

> Lately, I am getting those motorized scooters when I go grocery
> shopping, so I don't have to walk all over the store. Most stores
> have them now...

Sadly, I am reaching the level where they might get used here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:00:26 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>

> >Have you considered chopping stuff up sitting down hon'? ;-)

> Yeah, but I sit down so much already, and I do need to move about a
> bit. A bit of standing and walking is okay. Plus, I have to start
> working a bit more on that, as I have to be ready to return to work in
> about 3-5 weeks.

But swelling is BAD!

> Hmm..I do have a counter stool that I can use, to chop at the butcher
> block table. If I have some prolonged things to do, I will use
> that..but probably more for stuff that needs stirring on the stove,
> etc.

:-)

> >Even grocery shopping is a painful chore. :-(

> Lately, I am getting those motorized scooters when I go grocery
> shopping, so I don't have to walk all over the store. Most stores
> have them now...

Yabut this is my arms, not my legs.
I'm a klutz. Both shoulders are bad, the right more so than the left.

I have balance issues. Chronic vertigo. Mild, but a pain in the ass. I
can stand on one foot with my eyes open but not closed. I need the
visual cues.

Gods help me if I ever had to pass a sobriety test based on balance!

The loss of balance is what has mostly caused my falling injuries.

> I think I am going to blog my making of this lasagna..so other people
> can get a feel for it. Maybe blog some other stuff too...as I now
> have a bit of time for it.

Please do. :-) The beef is almost thawed, I need to set up the camera
and take pics too. I may smoke it tomorrow depending on how I feel If
not, next weekend.

> Oh, I have a tart I want to make! Really a galette... It will be
> based on a plum and nectarine crisp that Deborah Madison has in one of
> her books. I got some lovely prune plums at Sunflower this week..and
> found some decent nectarines. And puff pastry is hanging out in the
> freezer... I have been wanting to try this idea for some time, and
> maybe I can do it this weekend.
>
> Christine

Please mail me some! ;-d
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> I have balance issues. Chronic vertigo. Mild, but a pain in the ass. I
> can stand on one foot with my eyes open but not closed. I need the
> visual cues.
>
> Gods help me if I ever had to pass a sobriety test based on balance!
>
> The loss of balance is what has mostly caused my falling injuries.

Do you know the cause of your vertigo? My mom has it bad, and she's had so
many tests (ENT doctors) and even CAT scans and MRI but they can't find a
cause for it. She recently fell in a lobby of a theater and busted up her
knees. I worry so much about her. She uses a cane but sometimes forgets to
bring it with her. She promised me she'll make a point of remembering it
more. She literally looks like she is constantly drunk the way she walks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 17:02:12 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Christine Dabney > wrote:

> >> Oh, I have a tart I want to make! Really a galette... It will be
> >> based on a plum and nectarine crisp that Deborah Madison has in one of
> >> her books. I got some lovely prune plums at Sunflower this week..and
> >> found some decent nectarines. And puff pastry is hanging out in the
> >> freezer... I have been wanting to try this idea for some time, and
> >> maybe I can do it this weekend.
> >>
> >> Christine

> >Please mail me some! ;-d

> Come over to visit..I am only one state away....for now...LOL.
>
> Christine

I know. :-)

I really do wish I could drive long distance... but that is still not
working out so I know how you feel... Hurts too much.

I have a very dear friend in Bryan Texas fixin' to have a colorectal
resection due to cancerous polyps.

I can't even drive there to visit him and his wife prior to his surgery.
:-(

Life sucks sometimes, but at least I've woken up alive every morning.
;-) I rejoice any more in what I DO have!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news >
> > I have balance issues. Chronic vertigo. Mild, but a pain in the ass. I
> > can stand on one foot with my eyes open but not closed. I need the
> > visual cues.
> >
> > Gods help me if I ever had to pass a sobriety test based on balance!
> >
> > The loss of balance is what has mostly caused my falling injuries.

> Do you know the cause of your vertigo?

Middle ear congestion most likely.
Nobody seems to be sure, at least not MD's.

> My mom has it bad, and she's had so
> many tests (ENT doctors) and even CAT scans and MRI but they can't find a
> cause for it. She recently fell in a lobby of a theater and busted up her
> knees.

I understand.

> I worry so much about her. She uses a cane but sometimes forgets to
> bring it with her. She promised me she'll make a point of remembering it
> more. She literally looks like she is constantly drunk the way she walks.

Hm. At least I'm ok for the most part as long as I keep my eyes open. ;-)
But, it's still easy to lose my balance.

I plan to discuss it with Dr. Stamps next time I see him, based on this
and other cites:

http://www.chiro.org/research/ABSTRA....shtml#Vertigo

I've never discussed it with him before...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-4D632A.17194819092009
@news-wc.giganews.com:

> Life sucks sometimes,

Favourite Aussie saying, "Life's a bitch, then you marry one." :-)

> but at least I've woken up alive every morning.

That's always a good thing.

It'd be a real ****er to wake up dead ;-P

> ;-) I rejoice any more in what I DO have!

Something I tell people all the time.... don't whinge to me about your
****ant little problems, start thinking about how lucky you are to be
alive and the fact that there are people out there who are a *lot* worse
off than we are!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PeterL > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-4D632A.17194819092009
> @news-wc.giganews.com:
>

> > Life sucks sometimes,

> Favourite Aussie saying, "Life's a bitch, then you marry one." :-)

Life is a bitch, and then you ascend. Sometimes I almost look forward
to it. <G>

> > but at least I've woken up alive every morning.

> That's always a good thing.
>
> It'd be a real ****er to wake up dead ;-P

<snork>

> > ;-) I rejoice any more in what I DO have!

> Something I tell people all the time.... don't whinge to me about your
> ****ant little problems, start thinking about how lucky you are to be
> alive and the fact that there are people out there who are a *lot* worse
> off than we are!!

Indeed. Working in health care gives me somewhat of a sense of
perspective... but I will still miss Uncle Tommy. <sigh>

I really like the therapist I am seeing and seeing one other patient
that was just ahead of me on his schedule really made me think.

He (the patient) was missing one leg...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news

> I plan to discuss it with Dr. Stamps next time I see him, based on this
> and other cites:
>
> http://www.chiro.org/research/ABSTRA....shtml#Vertigo

There is a lot of information there. What specifically are you going to
talk to your doctor about, if I may ask?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> >
> > I plan to discuss it with Dr. Stamps next time I see him, based on this
> > and other cites:
> >
> > http://www.chiro.org/research/ABSTRA....shtml#Vertigo

> There is a lot of information there. What specifically are you going to
> talk to your doctor about, if I may ask?

Mild chronic vertigo. Whenever I stand and close my eyes, I feel
slightly dizzy. I can stand on one foot with my eyes open but close my
eyes and no way in hell.

I think it's the main thing affecting my balance, and why I've fallen
and hurt myself 4 times since February. Both my shoulders are screwed
up now due to falls, and I may have to face shoulder surgery. I'm seeing
my Ortho' this coming Thursday morning.

This problem has been going on for awhile now and seems to be getting
worse as I get older.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" ha scritto nel messaggio

> Do you know the cause of your vertigo? My mom has it bad,

Sounds like my mother and she had Meniere's disease.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Cheryl" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > Do you know the cause of your vertigo? My mom has it bad,

> Sounds like my mother and she had Meniere's disease.

It's never been serious enough for me to seek help with it, but the
balance issue has recently been causing injury. I think it's time to
stop putting it off.

It's just been such a mild thing that I'd been ignoring it.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:00:26 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> Still can't stand or walk that much. So I do things in spurts. Like
>> chopping some things up, then going to sit down for a bit. Get up
>> again, chop some more or whatever is needed for a mise en place..then
>> go sit down again. Repeat as needed. Then stand up some more to put
>> dish on to cook, or do the final cooking. I am able to manage this
>> way. Takes a lot longer for things to get ready, or to prepare stuff,
>> but at least I am doing stuff.

> Have you considered chopping stuff up sitting down hon'? ;-)

i do that all the time.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 19, 12:41*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> I probably won't be cooking much. *Tomorrow's shopping day, and then my
> birthday party, which Carin is handling. *I'm happy to eat the leftovers
> in the fridge (some curries from the other night, and a bit of veggie
> chili) or play it by ear.

HEy! Happy birthday SErene!

many many more

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .

> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:00:26 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>>
>> Have you considered chopping stuff up sitting down hon'? ;-)

> i do that all the time.
>
> your pal,
> blake

LOL Nice one, blake.