Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken hearts!

In my quest for organ meats that I actually liked, I asked our local
grocery store meat dept. if they carried chicken hearts. There were
packages of gizzards over by the chickens.

He responded, "you mean there are not any there"? No, there were not.
I never really paid attention to the fact that they did carry them from
time. I like chicken hearts even better than gizzards. :-)

This was around 07:30 am so he was surprised they were all gone already
and promised to increase the order. Today, there were about a dozen
packages of them there, for $.89 per lb!

I bought two packages and brought them home and braised one for lunch in
a mix of a little red wine vinegar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic
powder and lemon pepper.

I was able to only eat about 1/2 of a package served with some raw baby
spinach leaves.

I'll take the rest to work with me tonight for dinner. ;-d I bought a
couple of packages each of alfalfa and clover sprouts this morning as
well, so I'll have some with them in a salad. This weeks batch of
Sunflower sprouts I'm growing should be ready to harvest tomorrow, then
I'll mix the three together.

Good stuff!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:58:23 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> This was around 07:30 am so he was surprised they were all gone already
> and promised to increase the order. Today, there were about a dozen
> packages of them there, for $.89 per lb!

I'm always buying these. Going price is $.89 to $1.19/lb. I'm
kinda chicken-hearted-out though.

I like braising them in a little wine, garlic, and herbs de
provence. And whatever else I find interesting. Serve over
rice^H^H^H^H shiritake noodles.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 16, 8:58*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In my quest for organ meats that I actually liked, I asked our local
> grocery store meat dept. if they carried chicken hearts. There were
> packages of gizzards over by the chickens.
>
> He responded, "you mean there are not any there"? *No, there were not. *
> I never really paid attention to the fact that they did carry them from
> time. *I like chicken hearts even better than gizzards. :-)
>
> This was around 07:30 am so he was surprised they were all gone already
> and promised to increase the order. *Today, there were about a dozen
> packages of them there, for $.89 per lb!
>
> I bought two packages and brought them home and braised one for lunch in
> a mix of a little red wine vinegar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic
> powder and lemon pepper.
>
> I was able to only eat about 1/2 of a package served with some raw baby
> spinach leaves.
>
> I'll take the rest to work with me tonight for dinner. ;-d *I bought a
> couple of packages each of alfalfa and clover sprouts this morning as
> well, so I'll have some with them in a salad. *This weeks batch of
> Sunflower sprouts I'm growing should be ready to harvest tomorrow, then
> I'll mix the three together.
>
> Good stuff!
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down."
> --Steve Rothstein
>

> Subscribe:

Boy! That sounds like enough purines to KILL me - isn't that what
they warn you about when you have gout??? I got in trouble eating too
much liver :-)
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 16, 8:58*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In my quest for organ meats that I actually liked, I asked our local...

I just had to comment. Yes, the heart is an "organ", but as far as
organs go, it's got to be the most remarkably similar to traditional
"meat", as the heart IS meat! Almost entirely, and certainly as much
as any traditional cut of meat.

Granted it's a different form of meat, being myocardial "meat" tissue,
and not traditional skeletal muscle tissue.

That is all, now carry on!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Try this recipe -- Its *really* good!

Grilled Chicken Hearts

2 to 3 pounds of chicken hearts
equal parts soy sauce and sherry wine
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Marinate chicken hearts in the following mixtu To equal parts of soy sauce
and sherry wine add 2 crushed cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon of freshly ground
black pepper and 1 teaspoon of ground ginger. Let the hearts soak for an hour
or two before cooking. Arrange 3 to 4 chicken hearts on each small skewer
and grill them until nicely brown on all sides. Bamboo chopsticks can be
whittled down to make excellent skewers. Soak them in water for an hour
before using or they will burn and char.

--
Clay Irving >
print rand rand rand 1, "\n"; # interesting distribution

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:58:23 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > This was around 07:30 am so he was surprised they were all gone already
> > and promised to increase the order. Today, there were about a dozen
> > packages of them there, for $.89 per lb!

> I'm always buying these. Going price is $.89 to $1.19/lb. I'm
> kinda chicken-hearted-out though.
>
> I like braising them in a little wine, garlic, and herbs de
> provence. And whatever else I find interesting. Serve over
> rice^H^H^H^H shiritake noodles.
>
> -sw

I've not tried herbs de provence. The only real difference I can see
between them and McCormick's mixed Italian herbs (which are very good)
is the addition of the Lavender flowers.

Do those make a big difference in taste?

Served over rice sounds good, or Shiratake noodles. I ate the rest of
them last night in a couple of spring rolls with sprouts and a bit of
mustard and vinegar mixed with soy sauce. ;-d

I imagine these would go well in either a red or a white sauce, served
over rice for the white sauce, or pasta or some sort of steamed veggie
(like green beans) with the red sauce.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:

> Boy! That sounds like enough purines to KILL me - isn't that what
> they warn you about when you have gout??? I got in trouble eating too
> much liver :-)
> Lynn in Fargo

<shrugs> Not sure, I'd have to look it up.
But I'm lucky so far. I don't have gout and I really feel for you that
you do! :-(

I'm just trying to find ways to increase overall nutrition without
really increasing calorie intake, hence my current obsession with
sprouts as a side dish. I actually like those too.

Organ meats are higher in nutrition than muscle meats as a general rule.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Clay Irving > wrote:

> Try this recipe -- Its *really* good!
>
> Grilled Chicken Hearts
>
> 2 to 3 pounds of chicken hearts
> equal parts soy sauce and sherry wine

I'll bet vermouth would work in place of sherry too.

> 2 cloves garlic, crushed
> 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 1 teaspoon ground ginger
>
> Marinate chicken hearts in the following mixtu To equal parts of soy
> sauce
> and sherry wine add 2 crushed cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon of freshly
> ground
> black pepper and 1 teaspoon of ground ginger. Let the hearts soak for an
> hour
> or two before cooking. Arrange 3 to 4 chicken hearts on each small skewer
> and grill them until nicely brown on all sides. Bamboo chopsticks can be
> whittled down to make excellent skewers. Soak them in water for an hour
> before using or they will burn and char.

This sounds really good!
The bamboo skewers I currently have on hand would probably fit at least
1 dozen hearts.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I've not tried herbs de provence. The only real difference I can see
> between them and McCormick's mixed Italian herbs (which are very good)
> is the addition of the Lavender flowers.

Yikes! Its made with the flowers? I had no idea.

I've put together a few bundles of herbs de provence in the past an used
sprigs without the flowers. In fact, I usually pinch off the flowers as they
grow as I do with my other herbs.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:57:13 -0400, Zeppo wrote:

>> I've not tried herbs de provence. The only real difference I can see
>> between them and McCormick's mixed Italian herbs (which are very good)
>> is the addition of the Lavender flowers.
>>

> Yikes! Its made with the flowers? I had no idea.
>
> I've put together a few bundles of herbs de provence in the past an used
> sprigs without the flowers. In fact, I usually pinch off the flowers as they
> grow as I do with my other herbs.

Usually *only* the flowers are used. not the leaves. The flowers
are much more subtle, the leaves stronger and bitter.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Zeppo" > wrote:

> > I've not tried herbs de provence. The only real difference I can see
> > between them and McCormick's mixed Italian herbs (which are very good)
> > is the addition of the Lavender flowers.
> >

> Yikes! Its made with the flowers? I had no idea.
>
> I've put together a few bundles of herbs de provence in the past an used
> sprigs without the flowers. In fact, I usually pinch off the flowers as they
> grow as I do with my other herbs.
>
> Jon

Just going by the ingredients I've read on the jars...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:57:13 -0400, Zeppo wrote:
>
> >> I've not tried herbs de provence. The only real difference I can see
> >> between them and McCormick's mixed Italian herbs (which are very good)
> >> is the addition of the Lavender flowers.
> >>

> > Yikes! Its made with the flowers? I had no idea.
> >
> > I've put together a few bundles of herbs de provence in the past an used
> > sprigs without the flowers. In fact, I usually pinch off the flowers as
> > they
> > grow as I do with my other herbs.

> Usually *only* the flowers are used. not the leaves. The flowers
> are much more subtle, the leaves stronger and bitter.
>
> -sw

I understand.

My Mexican Oregano plant blooms a LOT in the spring and I've sometimes
just picked the blossoms for recipes I did not want too strong of a
flavor in. They are rather pleasant. :-)

I really should pick a bunch for drying next time it blooms.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>>> Yikes! Its made with the flowers? I had no idea.
>>>
>>> I've put together a few bundles of herbs de provence in the past an used
>>> sprigs without the flowers. In fact, I usually pinch off the flowers as
>>> they grow as I do with my other herbs.

>> Usually *only* the flowers are used. not the leaves. The flowers
>> are much more subtle, the leaves stronger and bitter.

> I understand.
>
> My Mexican Oregano plant blooms a LOT in the spring and I've sometimes
> just picked the blossoms for recipes I did not want too strong of a
> flavor in. They are rather pleasant. :-)
>
> I really should pick a bunch for drying next time it blooms.

There's a local lavender grower who sells jars of dried lavender buds at
farmers' markets in the area. It's a pleasant herb to use for some things.
_A Chef For All Seasons_, a collection of Gordon Ramsay recipes, contains a
recipe for a napoleon which contains a lavender-infused ganache. While that
particular notion doesn't appeal to me, it makes me think that one of these
days I'm going to make lavender-infused white chocolate truffles for a
friend who adores lavender; I have all the ingredients in the house at the
moment, just no time to make them!

Regarding other herb blossoms, I used rosemary blossoms to garnish a lemon
flan a couple weeks ago, and chive blossoms are fun to use as a garnish
also.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In my quest for organ meats that I actually liked, I asked our local
> grocery store meat dept. if they carried chicken hearts. There were
> packages of gizzards over by the chickens.
>
> He responded, "you mean there are not any there"? No, there were not.
> I never really paid attention to the fact that they did carry them from
> time. I like chicken hearts even better than gizzards. :-)
>
> This was around 07:30 am so he was surprised they were all gone already
> and promised to increase the order. Today, there were about a dozen
> packages of them there, for $.89 per lb!
>
> I bought two packages and brought them home and braised one for lunch in
> a mix of a little red wine vinegar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic
> powder and lemon pepper.
>
> I was able to only eat about 1/2 of a package served with some raw baby
> spinach leaves.
>
> I'll take the rest to work with me tonight for dinner. ;-d I bought a
> couple of packages each of alfalfa and clover sprouts this morning as
> well, so I'll have some with them in a salad. This weeks batch of
> Sunflower sprouts I'm growing should be ready to harvest tomorrow, then
> I'll mix the three together.
>
> Good stuff!
> --

We rarely get packages of just the hearts. Usually packaged as 'gizzards
and hearts' with very few hearts in them. No matter...the gizzards are
good too
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> There's a local lavender grower who sells jars of dried lavender buds at
> farmers' markets in the area. It's a pleasant herb to use for some things.

Hm. I can get them sometimes in the bulk section at Sun Harvest but have
only ever used them for Potpourri.

> _A Chef For All Seasons_, a collection of Gordon Ramsay recipes, contains a
> recipe for a napoleon which contains a lavender-infused ganache. While that
> particular notion doesn't appeal to me, it makes me think that one of these
> days I'm going to make lavender-infused white chocolate truffles for a
> friend who adores lavender; I have all the ingredients in the house at the
> moment, just no time to make them!
>
> Regarding other herb blossoms, I used rosemary blossoms to garnish a lemon
> flan a couple weeks ago, and chive blossoms are fun to use as a garnish
> also.
>
> Bob

I've used Basil blooms many a time. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> We rarely get packages of just the hearts. Usually packaged as 'gizzards
> and hearts' with very few hearts in them. No matter...the gizzards are
> good too

I love gizzards too, but I like the hearts better. And at the moment,
I'm after the nutritional value for health reasons.

They were out today but said they should have some in the morning. I
finished off most of the smoked beef hearts for brunch today. I'm
starting a new brine jar tomorrow for Canadian Bacon and I think I'll go
ahead and brine more heart too since I'll smoke everything next weekend
and that cured smoked beef heart really was SO good! It goes into a
separate jar tho' as the brine takes a lot of the blood out of the heart
and turns the brine blood red.

Meanwhile, I need to cook that package of beef liver I bought. I'll
grill it and serve it with some fried yellow onion and maybe a couple of
basted eggs. I'm not overly fond of liver but I will eat it...

I _really_ want to try making liverwurst one of these years. That, I DO
like!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay Irving > wrote:

> Try this recipe -- Its *really* good!
>
> Grilled Chicken Hearts
>
> 2 to 3 pounds of chicken hearts
> equal parts soy sauce and sherry wine
> 2 cloves garlic, crushed
> 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 1 teaspoon ground ginger
>
> Marinate chicken hearts in the following mixtu To equal parts of soy
> sauce and sherry wine add 2 crushed cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon of
> freshly ground black pepper and 1 teaspoon of ground ginger. Let the
> hearts soak for an hour or two before cooking. Arrange 3 to 4 chicken
> hearts on each small skewer and grill them until nicely brown on all
> sides. Bamboo chopsticks can be whittled down to make excellent skewers.
> Soak them in water for an hour before using or they will burn and char.

This looks very nice. Would pan-frying also work well enough?

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chicken hearts were always an important item in the sacred rituals of my
tribe. My ancestors told me that "when you eat the heart of the
chicken, you inherit the courage of the chicken."

They are also a big hit with our cats.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

s.net>,
Julian Vrieslander > wrote:

> Chicken hearts were always an important item in the sacred rituals of my
> tribe. My ancestors told me that "when you eat the heart of the
> chicken, you inherit the courage of the chicken."

<giggles>

> They are also a big hit with our cats.

My cats will get livers, but the hearts are _mine_!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe: