Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peeling a mango.

Hello All!

There's a recipe in r.f.recipes about mango salsa with a long
dissertation on peeling the mango. I find using an Oxo mango slicer and
removing the fruit with a spoon works pretty well. You can cut the flesh
on the skin into squares with a blunt knife and remove them with the
knife if you like.

I like mangos a lot but I am usually disappointed in how little fruit
there is left after removing the pit.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 1:12*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> There's a recipe in r.f.recipes about mango salsa with a long
> dissertation on peeling the mango. I find using an Oxo mango slicer and
> removing the fruit with a spoon works pretty well. You can cut the flesh
> on the skin into squares with a blunt knife and remove them with the
> knife if you like.
>
> I like mangos a lot but I am usually disappointed in how little fruit
> there is left after removing the pit.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

If, after you score the mango half in squares, you push it inside
out, it, the cubes will stick up and it's easy to remove them. My
problem Is I wait too long for the mango to ripen and it's way too
soft to handle by the time I cut it!
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> There's a recipe in r.f.recipes about mango salsa with a long
> dissertation on peeling the mango. I find using an Oxo mango slicer and
> removing the fruit with a spoon works pretty well. You can cut the flesh
> on the skin into squares with a blunt knife and remove them with the
> knife if you like.
>
> I like mangos a lot but I am usually disappointed in how little fruit
> there is left after removing the pit.

Hm. I peel with a vegetable peeler, then slice the meat off of the pit
with a good fillet knife. I then cube, chop or puree it according to
whatever recipe I'm prepping it for.

I get at least a 75% fruit to peel/pit ratio, estimated of course.

I then scrape that pit with my teeth to munch every bit of fruity
goodness!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> There's a recipe in r.f.recipes about mango salsa with a long dissertation
> on peeling the mango. I find using an Oxo mango slicer and removing the
> fruit with a spoon works pretty well. You can cut the flesh on the skin
> into squares with a blunt knife and remove them with the knife if you
> like.
>
> I like mangos a lot but I am usually disappointed in how little fruit
> there is left after removing the pit.
>
> --
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Peeling mangos is quite easy, they usually peel in 4 to 6 strips if sliced
like an orange skin. The only TRICK is to start pulling the skin from the
stem end. The way the mango fibers grow you'll peel only the skin and
little or no flesh.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:05:54 -0500:

>> Hello All!
>>
>> There's a recipe in r.f.recipes about mango salsa with a long
>> dissertation on peeling the mango. I find using an Oxo mango
>> slicer and removing the fruit with a spoon works pretty well.
>> You can cut the flesh on the skin into squares with a blunt
>> knife and remove them with the knife if you like.
>>
>> I like mangos a lot but I am usually disappointed in how
>> little fruit there is left after removing the pit.
>>

> Hm. I peel with a vegetable peeler, then slice the meat off
> of the pit with a good fillet knife. I then cube, chop or
> puree it according to whatever recipe I'm prepping it for.

> I get at least a 75% fruit to peel/pit ratio, estimated of
> course.

> I then scrape that pit with my teeth to munch every bit of
> fruity goodness!

Fun, but messy ain't it! I wonder why the hybridizers have not worked on
mangos to get smaller pits?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Omelet wrote on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:05:54 -0500:

>> I then scrape that pit with my teeth to munch every bit of
>> fruity goodness!

> Fun, but messy ain't it! I wonder why the hybridizers have not worked on
> mangos to get smaller pits?

My friends from India tell me they have dozens of varieties of mangoes,
each suitable for a different recipe and very distinguishable when eaten
plain. They must not be very ship-able or we'd probably see them here.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:23:45 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:05:54 -0500:
>
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> There's a recipe in r.f.recipes about mango salsa with a long
>>> dissertation on peeling the mango. I find using an Oxo mango
>>> slicer and removing the fruit with a spoon works pretty well.
>>> You can cut the flesh on the skin into squares with a blunt
>>> knife and remove them with the knife if you like.
>>>
>>> I like mangos a lot but I am usually disappointed in how
>>> little fruit there is left after removing the pit.
>>>

>> Hm. I peel with a vegetable peeler, then slice the meat off
>> of the pit with a good fillet knife. I then cube, chop or
>> puree it according to whatever recipe I'm prepping it for.

>> I get at least a 75% fruit to peel/pit ratio, estimated of
>> course.

>> I then scrape that pit with my teeth to munch every bit of
>> fruity goodness!

>Fun, but messy ain't it! I wonder why the hybridizers have not worked on
>mangos to get smaller pits?

They have, there are varieties of mango.
http://freshmangos.com/mangos.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:23:45 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:05:54 -0500:
>
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> There's a recipe in r.f.recipes about mango salsa with a long
>>> dissertation on peeling the mango. I find using an Oxo mango
>>> slicer and removing the fruit with a spoon works pretty well.
>>> You can cut the flesh on the skin into squares with a blunt
>>> knife and remove them with the knife if you like.
>>>
>>> I like mangos a lot but I am usually disappointed in how
>>> little fruit there is left after removing the pit.
>>>

>> Hm. I peel with a vegetable peeler, then slice the meat off
>> of the pit with a good fillet knife. I then cube, chop or
>> puree it according to whatever recipe I'm prepping it for.

>> I get at least a 75% fruit to peel/pit ratio, estimated of
>> course.

>> I then scrape that pit with my teeth to munch every bit of
>> fruity goodness!

> Fun, but messy ain't it! I wonder why the hybridizers have not worked on
> mangos to get smaller pits?

i see there are a couple of baja fresh outlets in rockville (md). they
have a nice mango salsa in their free salsa bar (outside of the winter
months).

good chow, i think.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:05:54 -0500:
>
> >> Hello All!
> >>
> >> There's a recipe in r.f.recipes about mango salsa with a long
> >> dissertation on peeling the mango. I find using an Oxo mango
> >> slicer and removing the fruit with a spoon works pretty well.
> >> You can cut the flesh on the skin into squares with a blunt
> >> knife and remove them with the knife if you like.
> >>
> >> I like mangos a lot but I am usually disappointed in how
> >> little fruit there is left after removing the pit.
> >>

> > Hm. I peel with a vegetable peeler, then slice the meat off
> > of the pit with a good fillet knife. I then cube, chop or
> > puree it according to whatever recipe I'm prepping it for.

> > I get at least a 75% fruit to peel/pit ratio, estimated of
> > course.

> > I then scrape that pit with my teeth to munch every bit of
> > fruity goodness!

> Fun, but messy ain't it! I wonder why the hybridizers have not worked on
> mangos to get smaller pits?

Messy yes, but fun and tasty. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> My friends from India tell me they have dozens of varieties of mangoes,
> each suitable for a different recipe and very distinguishable when eaten
> plain. They must not be very ship-able or we'd probably see them here.

I can imagine that there are. I leave in an area where there are a lot
of orchards. We not only get a wide variety of fruits but varieties of
those fruits. Some of them are better for some things that others. I
used to make sweet cherry jam with a very dark variety of cherry that
was far better than others, and some cherries, like Queen Anne are
useless for jam.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:34:38 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>> Omelet wrote on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:05:54 -0500:

>>> I then scrape that pit with my teeth to munch every bit of
>>> fruity goodness!

>> Fun, but messy ain't it! I wonder why the hybridizers have not worked on
>> mangos to get smaller pits?
>>

>My friends from India tell me they have dozens of varieties of mangoes,
>each suitable for a different recipe and very distinguishable when eaten
>plain. They must not be very ship-able or we'd probably see them here.

Until recently India couldn't export mangoes to the US. USDA
restrictions prevented it.

The Konkan Hapoos (rhymes with papoose),AKA King Alphonso, mangoes are
heavenly. The are the ONLY reason to visit Bombay in May. When the
season comes, the mangoes are air freighted to the US. I am lucky find
more than 50% in an edible condition. So, no, they definitely don't
travel well.