Cooking Dry Hominy/Pozole

Old 15-09-2009, 08:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking Dry Hominy/Pozole

Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to learn
how to cook Pozole/Dry Hominy. I soaked a cup of store-bought dry hominy
in a pan full of water for 24 hours. Drained and rinsed it several
times. Then simmered in a pot full of water for 4 hours. The original
cup of dry hominy swelled to over 5 cups of cooked hominy. It tasted
pretty good.

Now, the problem. The recipes I've found on the 'net casually say
"remove the shells". I found they were still firmly attached to the
kernels and couldn't be removed. The hominy was starting to fall apart,
so it was probably overcooked. To my way of thinking, that should have
just made the shells easier to remove, but I dunno.

How do you cook them just right so that you can remove the shells/hulls?
Old 15-09-2009, 01:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 00:30:11 -0700, whirled peas wrote:

Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

You're trying to cook posole. That's what's wrong.

http://i30.tinypic.com/zxk7kp.jpg

Gawd awful stuff. Ought to be shot.

-sw
Old 15-09-2009, 01:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"whirled peas" ha scritto nel messaggio

Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to learn
how to cook Pozole/Dry Hominy. I soaked a cup of store-bought dry hominy
in a pan full of water for 24 hours. Drained and rinsed it several
times. Then simmered in a pot full of water for 4 hours. The original
cup of dry hominy swelled to over 5 cups of cooked hominy. It tasted
pretty good.

Now, the problem. The recipes I've found on the 'net casually say
"remove the shells". I found they were still firmly attached to the
kernels and couldn't be removed. The hominy was starting to fall apart, so
it was probably overcooked. To my way of thinking, that should have ust
made the shells easier to remove, but I dunno.

I don't recall ever seeing that instruction, but I wouldn't anyway. There
is nothing on my cooked hominy that I don't want to eat. I sure don't want
to overcook it so that it doesn't have that nice tooth. I don't think I
have ever cooked it as long as you did. I eat it with things, usually,
rather than in things, but I don't think it would make a difference to me.

Old 15-09-2009, 01:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" ha scritto nel messaggio
whirled peas wrote:

Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

You're trying to cook posole. That's what's wrong.

http://i30.tinypic.com/zxk7kp.jpg

Gawd awful stuff. Ought to be shot.

-sw

Au contraire. I love it so much I want to take it out back of middle school
and get it pregnant.

Old 15-09-2009, 02:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

whirled peas wrote:

Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

You're trying to cook posole. That's what's wrong.

http://i30.tinypic.com/zxk7kp.jpg

Gawd awful stuff. Ought to be shot.

Au contraire. I love it so much I want to take it out back of middle school
and get it pregnant.

That's pretty kinky, Goosie. I like that.

-sw

Old 15-09-2009, 02:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"whirled peas" wrote in message
Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to learn how
to cook Pozole/Dry Hominy. I soaked a cup of store-bought dry hominy in a
pan full of water for 24 hours. Drained and rinsed it several times. Then
simmered in a pot full of water for 4 hours. The original cup of dry
hominy swelled to over 5 cups of cooked hominy. It tasted pretty good.

Now, the problem. The recipes I've found on the 'net casually say "remove
the shells". I found they were still firmly attached to the kernels and
couldn't be removed. The hominy was starting to fall apart, so it was
probably overcooked. To my way of thinking, that should have just made the
shells easier to remove, but I dunno.

How do you cook them just right so that you can remove the shells/hulls?

Hominy is dried corn treated with lye. Why you'd want to remove the
husk/hull is beyond me. There's a problem with the directions.

Jill

Old 15-09-2009, 04:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 07:11:50 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 00:30:11 -0700, whirled peas wrote:

Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

You're trying to cook posole. That's what's wrong.

http://i30.tinypic.com/zxk7kp.jpg

Gawd awful stuff. Ought to be shot.

-sw

actually, it looks like it *could* be shot, like a rock salt load from a
shotgun.

your pal,
blake

Old 15-09-2009, 04:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

"whirled peas" wrote in message

Now, the problem. The recipes I've found on the 'net casually say "remove
the shells". I found they were still firmly attached to the kernels and
couldn't be removed. The hominy was starting to fall apart, so it was
probably overcooked. To my way of thinking, that should have just made the
shells easier to remove, but I dunno.

How do you cook them just right so that you can remove the shells/hulls?

Hominy is dried corn treated with lye. Why you'd want to remove the
husk/hull is beyond me. There's a problem with the directions.

The lye removes the hull. There isn't any hull left
to remove.
Old 15-09-2009, 06:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:37:44 -0400:

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 00:30:11 -0700, whirled peas wrote:

Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

You're trying to cook posole. That's what's wrong.

http://i30.tinypic.com/zxk7kp.jpg

Gawd awful stuff. Ought to be shot.

-sw

actually, it looks like it *could* be shot, like a rock salt
load from a shotgun.

I rather like posole but I've never used any other form of hominy than
canned.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 15-09-2009, 07:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

"whirled peas" wrote in message

Now, the problem. The recipes I've found on the 'net casually say
"remove
the shells". I found they were still firmly attached to the kernels and
couldn't be removed. The hominy was starting to fall apart, so it was
probably overcooked. To my way of thinking, that should have just made
the
shells easier to remove, but I dunno.

How do you cook them just right so that you can remove the
shells/hulls?

Hominy is dried corn treated with lye. Why you'd want to remove the
husk/hull is beyond me. There's a problem with the directions.

The lye removes the hull. There isn't any hull left
to remove.

You're exactly right. I amend my statement to ask "What hull?"

Jill --who has canned hominy in her pantry

Old 15-09-2009, 08:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
You're trying to cook posole. That's what's wrong.
Gawd awful stuff. Ought to be shot.

Au contraire. I love it so much I want to take it out back of middle
school
and get it pregnant.

That's pretty kinky, Goosie. I like that.

Speechless, I know. I have that effect on people.

-sw
Old 16-09-2009, 11:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

whirled peas wrote:

Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to learn
how to cook Pozole/Dry Hominy. I soaked a cup of store-bought dry hominy
in a pan full of water for 24 hours. Drained and rinsed it several
times. Then simmered in a pot full of water for 4 hours. The original
cup of dry hominy swelled to over 5 cups of cooked hominy. It tasted
pretty good.

Now, the problem. The recipes I've found on the 'net casually say
"remove the shells". I found they were still firmly attached to the
kernels and couldn't be removed. The hominy was starting to fall apart,
so it was probably overcooked. To my way of thinking, that should have
just made the shells easier to remove, but I dunno.

How do you cook them just right so that you can remove the shells/hulls?

Usually they hulls/shells fall off during the preparation of the
original nixtamal. When the corn has been soaked in the lime (CaOH)
solution, the hulls can be rubbed off. Not one of the traditional
posole recipes in my possession specify removing hulls after that point.

The prepared nixtamal you are using probably doesn't contain any hulls
anyway. So no worries. The posole should be cooked until it 'explodes';
it won't be done until that point.