Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Green Beans with Tomatoes

These are so stinkin' good.

First things first.
http://i30.tinypic.com/34sfrip.jpg

Gathered ingredients.
http://i31.tinypic.com/206yihh.jpg

Started the green beans cooking.
http://i31.tinypic.com/213kzmu.jpg

Added onion and garlic.
http://i29.tinypic.com/4izwqo.jpg

Then the tomatoes and spices.
http://i30.tinypic.com/a4n4lc.jpg

Plated.
http://i32.tinypic.com/33ksqhd.jpg

Got together the ingredients

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Green Beans with Tomatoes

vegetables

1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 pounds green beans
2 cloves garlic; peeled and chopped
1 medium yellow onion, peeled; cut into thin rings
4 small ripe tomatoes, 1 lb peeled; seeded, chopped
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
4 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the beans and cook,
stirring and tossing constantly, until beans are about half-cooked
and become bright green.
Reduce heat and add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, parsley, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper, and continue
to cook, tossing occasionally, for about another 5 minutes or until
sauce is slightly reduced. Serve immediately, or cool and serve at
room temperature.

Notes: The Silver Palate Cookbook

Yield: 6 servings

And that's that.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> These are so stinkin' good.
>
> First things first.
> http://i30.tinypic.com/34sfrip.jpg
>
> Gathered ingredients.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/206yihh.jpg
>
> Started the green beans cooking.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/213kzmu.jpg
>
> Added onion and garlic.
> http://i29.tinypic.com/4izwqo.jpg
>
> Then the tomatoes and spices.
> http://i30.tinypic.com/a4n4lc.jpg
>
> Plated.
> http://i32.tinypic.com/33ksqhd.jpg
>

> Got together the ingredients
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Green Beans with Tomatoes
>
> vegetables
>
> 1/3 cup olive oil
> 1 1/2 pounds green beans
> 2 cloves garlic; peeled and chopped
> 1 medium yellow onion, peeled; cut into thin rings
> 4 small ripe tomatoes, 1 lb peeled; seeded, chopped
> 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
> 4 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
> 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
> 1/2 teaspoon Salt
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>
> Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the beans and cook,
> stirring and tossing constantly, until beans are about half-cooked
> and become bright green.
> Reduce heat and add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
> Add tomatoes, parsley, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper, and continue
> to cook, tossing occasionally, for about another 5 minutes or until
> sauce is slightly reduced. Serve immediately, or cool and serve at
> room temperature.
>
> Notes: The Silver Palate Cookbook
>
> Yield: 6 servings
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **
>
> And that's that.
>
> koko
> --
>
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 09/06

That's a pretty plate. Thanks for sharing koko.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> These are so stinkin' good.
>
> First things first.
> http://i30.tinypic.com/34sfrip.jpg
>
> Gathered ingredients.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/206yihh.jpg
>
> Started the green beans cooking.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/213kzmu.jpg
>
> Added onion and garlic.
> http://i29.tinypic.com/4izwqo.jpg
>
> Then the tomatoes and spices.
> http://i30.tinypic.com/a4n4lc.jpg
>
> Plated.
> http://i32.tinypic.com/33ksqhd.jpg
>

> Got together the ingredients
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Green Beans with Tomatoes
>
> vegetables
>
> 1/3 cup olive oil
> 1 1/2 pounds green beans
> 2 cloves garlic; peeled and chopped
> 1 medium yellow onion, peeled; cut into thin rings
> 4 small ripe tomatoes, 1 lb peeled; seeded, chopped
> 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
> 4 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
> 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
> 1/2 teaspoon Salt
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>
> Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the beans and cook,
> stirring and tossing constantly, until beans are about half-cooked
> and become bright green.
> Reduce heat and add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
> Add tomatoes, parsley, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper, and continue
> to cook, tossing occasionally, for about another 5 minutes or until
> sauce is slightly reduced. Serve immediately, or cool and serve at
> room temperature.
>
> Notes: The Silver Palate Cookbook
>
> Yield: 6 servings
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **
>
> And that's that.
>
> koko
> --
>
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 09/06

Green beans and tomatoes definitely go well together in that dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 01:37:54 -0400, Bob Muncie >
wrote:

>koko wrote:
>> These are so stinkin' good.
>>
>> First things first.
>> http://i30.tinypic.com/34sfrip.jpg

snippage
>> Plated.
>> http://i32.tinypic.com/33ksqhd.jpg

more snippage

>That's a pretty plate. Thanks for sharing koko.
>
>Bob

Thank you Bob, my pleasure. I hope you try them sometime.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 09/06
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 08:03:46 -0400, George >
wrote:

>koko wrote:
>> These are so stinkin' good.
>>
>> First things first.
>> http://i30.tinypic.com/34sfrip.jpg

snip to my lou
>> Plated.
>> http://i32.tinypic.com/33ksqhd.jpg

my darlin'

>> koko

>Green beans and tomatoes definitely go well together in that dish.

It was great. The vinegar_really_makes it.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 09/06

Experienced Member

Location: North Carolina

That is nice. One of the things to keep in mind when combining green vegetables with tomatoes is that an acidic environment will discolor green vegetables. However, acids firm fibers in vegetables, giving better texture.

The secret way to retain color and texture is to blanch green items in a little bit of baking soda to set the color, then continue to cook in an acidic environment.

Chef Todd Mohr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Muncie View Post
koko wrote:[color=blue][i]
These are so stinkin' good.

That's a pretty plate. Thanks for sharing koko.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> koko wrote:
>> These are so stinkin' good. First things first.
>> http://i30.tinypic.com/34sfrip.jpg
>>
>> Gathered ingredients. http://i31.tinypic.com/206yihh.jpg
>>
>> Started the green beans cooking.
>> http://i31.tinypic.com/213kzmu.jpg
>>
>> Added onion and garlic. http://i29.tinypic.com/4izwqo.jpg
>>
>> Then the tomatoes and spices. http://i30.tinypic.com/a4n4lc.jpg
>>
>> Plated. http://i32.tinypic.com/33ksqhd.jpg
>>

>> Got together the ingredients
>>
>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> Green Beans with Tomatoes
>>
>> vegetables
>>
>> 1/3 cup olive oil
>> 1 1/2 pounds green beans
>> 2 cloves garlic; peeled and chopped
>> 1 medium yellow onion, peeled; cut into thin rings
>> 4 small ripe tomatoes, 1 lb peeled; seeded, chopped
>> 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
>> 4 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
>> 1/2 teaspoon Salt
>> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>>
>> Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the beans and cook,
>> stirring and tossing constantly, until beans are about half-cooked
>> and become bright green.
>> Reduce heat and add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
>> Add tomatoes, parsley, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper, and continue
>> to cook, tossing occasionally, for about another 5 minutes or until
>> sauce is slightly reduced. Serve immediately, or cool and serve at
>> room temperature.
>>
>> Notes: The Silver Palate Cookbook
>>
>> Yield: 6 servings
>>

>> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **
>>
>> And that's that.
>>
>> koko
>> --
>>
>> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
>> George Bernard Shaw
>> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
>> updated 09/06

> That's a pretty plate.

Pretty plate is all... the dish sucks... another of her cook by numbers
recipe book dishes.
The tomatoes aren't ripe, flavorless pink cardboard, they should have been
peeled (canned tomatoes would have been better than that stupidmarket
cardboard). Everything was cut into bite size pieces, so for this type of
dish the grean beans should have been sliced too instead of hanging off the
plate, especially those large green beans that will need a knife to eat
because they're certainly not cooked to tender firm, they're raw! And
everything looks less than half cooked, looks absolutely raw (if properly
cooked the greenbeans would be bright green rather than sage gray, and there
is no sauce, what happened to the sauce. A vegetable dish like that
shouldn't be plated solo, belongs in a serving platter or plated on the side
of a dish with meat and a starch, minimally on a bed of rice. Like I said
previously, Koko has *zero* kitchen talent... without those recipe books
she'd have to dine at the local soup kitchen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon criticized stupidly:

> Pretty plate is all... the dish sucks... another of her cook by numbers
> recipe book dishes.
> The tomatoes aren't ripe, flavorless pink cardboard, they should have been
> peeled (canned tomatoes would have been better than that stupidmarket
> cardboard). Everything was cut into bite size pieces, so for this type of
> dish the grean beans should have been sliced too instead of hanging off
> the plate, especially those large green beans that will need a knife to
> eat because they're certainly not cooked to tender firm, they're raw! And
> everything looks less than half cooked, looks absolutely raw (if properly
> cooked the greenbeans would be bright green rather than sage gray, and
> there is no sauce, what happened to the sauce. A vegetable dish like that
> shouldn't be plated solo, belongs in a serving platter or plated on the
> side of a dish with meat and a starch, minimally on a bed of rice. Like I
> said previously, Koko has *zero* kitchen talent... without those recipe
> books she'd have to dine at the local soup kitchen.

koko, it must have been *fantastic* or it wouldn't have drawn such an
obviously-envious reaction from our resident dribbling loon! Some of his
most obvious idiocies a

"if properly cooked the greenbeans [sic] would be bright green rather than
sage gray"

Obviously Sheldon has no experience cooking any kind of green vegetables!

"A vegetable dish like that shouldn't be plated solo"

Sheldon has never heard of mezze or tapas, so he simply blathers on as if
his world-view encompasses the entire world, when it really only contains
his childhood memories and whatever delusions are instilled by the voices in
his head.

Keep on cookin', koko, and pay no attention to the anile anus!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> These are so stinkin' good.
>
> First things first.
> http://i30.tinypic.com/34sfrip.jpg
>
> Gathered ingredients.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/206yihh.jpg
>
> Started the green beans cooking.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/213kzmu.jpg
>
> Added onion and garlic.
> http://i29.tinypic.com/4izwqo.jpg
>
> Then the tomatoes and spices.
> http://i30.tinypic.com/a4n4lc.jpg
>
> Plated.
> http://i32.tinypic.com/33ksqhd.jpg
>

> Got together the ingredients
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Green Beans with Tomatoes
>
> vegetables
>
> 1/3 cup olive oil
> 1 1/2 pounds green beans
> 2 cloves garlic; peeled and chopped
> 1 medium yellow onion, peeled; cut into thin rings
> 4 small ripe tomatoes, 1 lb peeled; seeded, chopped
> 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
> 4 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
> 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
> 1/2 teaspoon Salt
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>
> Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the beans and cook,
> stirring and tossing constantly, until beans are about half-cooked
> and become bright green.
> Reduce heat and add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
> Add tomatoes, parsley, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper, and continue
> to cook, tossing occasionally, for about another 5 minutes or until
> sauce is slightly reduced. Serve immediately, or cool and serve at
> room temperature.
>
> Notes: The Silver Palate Cookbook
>
> Yield: 6 servings
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **
>
> And that's that.
>
> koko
> --
>
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 09/06

That looks and sounds yummy! Copied and saved. Thanks

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Green Beans with Tomatoes
>
> vegetables
>
> 1/3 cup olive oil
> 1 1/2 pounds green beans
> 2 cloves garlic; peeled and chopped
> 1 medium yellow onion, peeled; cut into thin rings
> 4 small ripe tomatoes, 1 lb peeled; seeded, chopped
> 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
> 4 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
> 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
> 1/2 teaspoon Salt
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>
> Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the beans and cook,
> stirring and tossing constantly, until beans are about half-cooked
> and become bright green.
> Reduce heat and add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
> Add tomatoes, parsley, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper, and continue
> to cook, tossing occasionally, for about another 5 minutes or until
> sauce is slightly reduced. Serve immediately, or cool and serve at
> room temperature.
>
> Notes: The Silver Palate Cookbook
>
> Yield: 6 servings

Looks good. When I grew up, my mother made a dish that was similar, but
she used sliced okra instead of green beans.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> koko wrote:
>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> Green Beans with Tomatoes
>>
>> vegetables
>>
>> 1/3 cup olive oil
>> 1 1/2 pounds green beans
>> 2 cloves garlic; peeled and chopped
>> 1 medium yellow onion, peeled; cut into thin rings
>> 4 small ripe tomatoes, 1 lb peeled; seeded, chopped
>> 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
>> 4 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
>> 1/2 teaspoon Salt
>> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>>
>> Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the beans and cook,
>> stirring and tossing constantly, until beans are about half-cooked
>> and become bright green.
>> Reduce heat and add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
>> Add tomatoes, parsley, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper, and continue
>> to cook, tossing occasionally, for about another 5 minutes or until
>> sauce is slightly reduced. Serve immediately, or cool and serve at
>> room temperature.
>>
>> Notes: The Silver Palate Cookbook
>>
>> Yield: 6 servings

> Looks good. When I grew up, my mother made a dish that was similar, but
> she used sliced okra instead of green beans.

Koko's would have been better if she sliced the green beans too. There are
plenty of dishes where the green beans are left whole, in bundles or those
long oriental green beans, but they don't include other cut up ingredients,
just seasoned/sauced/garnished. She should have sliced her beans on the
diagonal into about 1" lengths. I could give her the benefit of the doubt
by saying she was just lazy rather than not knowing any better, but I
believe it was both, lazy and unknowlgeable... that's what happens to those
who can only prepare food with a list of instructions and follow verbatim...
the instructions in that recipe were seriously lacking clarity... I supposed
it assumed that folks possessed some creativity... I'd be embarrassed to
show the recipe book for friggin' string beans, like a six year old cooking
oatmeal for the first time. LOL However I have to award her more credit
than those stentorial howler monkeys who can only cook by pounding their
keyboard. LOL LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 19:39:30 -0700, koko > wrote:

>These are so stinkin' good.

<snip>

Looks good Koko. I don't care what anyone says you're a good cook and
thanks for taking the time to take pictures and post the recipes!

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote
> That looks and sounds yummy! Copied and saved. Thanks

It really does. I saved it too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Looks good. When I grew up, my mother made a dish that was similar, but
> she used sliced okra instead of green beans.

I love okra with tomatoes.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 08:53:20 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Sheldon criticized stupidly:
>
>> Pretty plate is all... the dish sucks... another of her cook by numbers
>> recipe book dishes.
>> The tomatoes aren't ripe, flavorless pink cardboard, they should have been
>> peeled (canned tomatoes would have been better than that stupidmarket
>> cardboard). Everything was cut into bite size pieces, so for this type of
>> dish the grean beans should have been sliced too instead of hanging off
>> the plate, especially those large green beans that will need a knife to
>> eat because they're certainly not cooked to tender firm, they're raw! And
>> everything looks less than half cooked, looks absolutely raw (if properly
>> cooked the greenbeans would be bright green rather than sage gray, and
>> there is no sauce, what happened to the sauce. A vegetable dish like that
>> shouldn't be plated solo, belongs in a serving platter or plated on the
>> side of a dish with meat and a starch, minimally on a bed of rice. Like I
>> said previously, Koko has *zero* kitchen talent... without those recipe
>> books she'd have to dine at the local soup kitchen.

>koko, it must have been *fantastic* or it wouldn't have drawn such an
>obviously-envious reaction from our resident dribbling loon! Some of his
>most obvious idiocies a
>
>"if properly cooked the greenbeans [sic] would be bright green rather than
>sage gray"
>
>Obviously Sheldon has no experience cooking any kind of green vegetables!
>

>"A vegetable dish like that shouldn't be plated solo"
>
>Sheldon has never heard of mezze or tapas, so he simply blathers on as if
>his world-view encompasses the entire world, when it really only contains
>his childhood memories and whatever delusions are instilled by the voices in
>his head.
>
>Keep on cookin', koko, and pay no attention to the anile anus!
>
>Bob

Thanks Bob. I just ignore certain people and go on my merry way.
I hope Christine and I will be able to make it up to visit you guys.
I'm hoping she has a speedy recovery, and not just because of the
trip.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 09/06

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:56:21 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>koko wrote:
>> These are so stinkin' good.

snippage

>That looks and sounds yummy! Copied and saved. Thanks

You are welcome. I hope you get a chance to try it. They are even
great at room temperature.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 09/06
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 15:44:49 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Janet Wilder" > wrote
>> That looks and sounds yummy! Copied and saved. Thanks
>>

>It really does. I saved it too.

Thanks cybercat, they turned out really good.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 09/06
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:48:23 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>koko wrote:
>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> Green Beans with Tomatoes

snippage

>Looks good. When I grew up, my mother made a dish that was similar, but
>she used sliced okra instead of green beans.
>

>Becca

Dang, that sounds really good, I'd love to try it that way.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 09/06
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 14:30:18 -0500, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 19:39:30 -0700, koko > wrote:
>

>>These are so stinkin' good.

><snip>
>
>Looks good Koko. I don't care what anyone says you're a good cook and
>thanks for taking the time to take pictures and post the recipes!
>
>Lou

Thanks Lou I appreciate it. I'm having fun doing both.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 09/06
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote on Mon, 07 Sep 2009 19:39:30 -0700:

> First things first.
> http://i30.tinypic.com/34sfrip.jpg

> Gathered ingredients.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/206yihh.jpg

> Started the green beans cooking.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/213kzmu.jpg

> Added onion and garlic.
> http://i29.tinypic.com/4izwqo.jpg

> Then the tomatoes and spices.
> http://i30.tinypic.com/a4n4lc.jpg

> Plated.
> http://i32.tinypic.com/33ksqhd.jpg

> Got together the ingredients

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

> Green Beans with Tomatoes

> vegetables

> 1/3 cup olive oil
> 1 1/2 pounds green beans
> 2 cloves garlic; peeled and chopped
> 1 medium yellow onion, peeled; cut into thin rings
> 4 small ripe tomatoes, 1 lb peeled; seeded, chopped
> 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
> 4 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
> 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
> 1/2 teaspoon Salt
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

> Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the beans and cook,
> stirring and tossing constantly, until beans are about
> half-cooked and become bright green.
> Reduce heat and add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, for 1
> minute. Add tomatoes, parsley, vinegar, oregano, salt and
> pepper, and continue to cook, tossing occasionally, for about
> another 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly reduced. Serve
> immediately, or cool and serve at room temperature.

> Notes: The Silver Palate Cookbook

> Yield: 6 servings

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **

OK, I tried it and the end result was not bad but I won't make it again!
May I bring attention to the instruction "Add tomatoes, parsley,
vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper, and continue to cook, tossing
occasionally, for about another 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly
reduced"

Damnit! the sauce is reduced immediately on adding the stuff and tho' I
did cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, the result was not that great! I have
a recipe for green beans, Shanghai style, that is much better.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
< I have a recipe for green beans, Shanghai style, that is much better.

would you be so kind as to share it?
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote on Tue, 08 Sep 2009 18:25:13 -0500:

> James Silverton wrote:
> < I have a recipe for green beans, Shanghai style, that is
> much better.
>>

> would you be so kind as to share it?
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

OK, here it is.

String beans, Shanghai Style.

1 lb fresh string beans
2 tsp sesame seeds

Sauce
1tab sugar
2 tab dry sherry
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp MSG

2 1/2 Tab veg oil ( or squirt of Misto in non stick pan)
1/2 tsp salt

Trim and parboil string beans for 2 minutes in rapidly boiling water.
Drain and rinse with cold water.

Heat sesame seeds over moderate heat in non-stick pan until they turm
light brown.

Heat wok or non-stick pan, when hot, add veg oil, salt and beans. Stir
fry for 1 minute, add sauce and stir fry for another minute. Add sesame
seeds, blend and serve.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>
>> Looks good. When I grew up, my mother made a dish that was similar,
>> but she used sliced okra instead of green beans.

> I love okra with tomatoes.

I agree that okra would be a good sub here... at least it sounds like a
good sub to try. Okra when not in a slimy delivery, is one of my
favorite veggies.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> koko wrote on Mon, 07 Sep 2009 19:39:30 -0700:
>
>> First things first.
>> http://i30.tinypic.com/34sfrip.jpg

>> Gathered ingredients.
>> http://i31.tinypic.com/206yihh.jpg

>> Started the green beans cooking.
>> http://i31.tinypic.com/213kzmu.jpg

>> Added onion and garlic.
>> http://i29.tinypic.com/4izwqo.jpg

>> Then the tomatoes and spices.
>> http://i30.tinypic.com/a4n4lc.jpg

>> Plated.
>> http://i32.tinypic.com/33ksqhd.jpg

>> Got together the ingredients

>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

>> Green Beans with Tomatoes

>> vegetables

>> 1/3 cup olive oil
>> 1 1/2 pounds green beans
>> 2 cloves garlic; peeled and chopped
>> 1 medium yellow onion, peeled; cut into thin rings
>> 4 small ripe tomatoes, 1 lb peeled; seeded, chopped
>> 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
>> 4 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
>> 1/2 teaspoon Salt
>> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

>> Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the beans and cook,
>> stirring and tossing constantly, until beans are about
>> half-cooked and become bright green.
>> Reduce heat and add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, for 1
>> minute. Add tomatoes, parsley, vinegar, oregano, salt and
>> pepper, and continue to cook, tossing occasionally, for about
>> another 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly reduced. Serve
>> immediately, or cool and serve at room temperature.

>> Notes: The Silver Palate Cookbook

>> Yield: 6 servings

>> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **

> OK, I tried it and the end result was not bad but I won't make it again!
> May I bring attention to the instruction "Add tomatoes, parsley,
> vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper, and continue to cook, tossing
> occasionally, for about another 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly
> reduced"
>
> Damnit! the sauce is reduced immediately on adding the stuff and tho' I
> did cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, the result was not that great! I have
> a recipe for green beans, Shanghai style, that is much better.

Then why did you not post it?

Just curious.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:

> Then why did you not post it?
>
> Just curious.
>
> Bob

Never-mind :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Janet wrote on Tue, 08 Sep 2009 18:25:13 -0500:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:
>> < I have a recipe for green beans, Shanghai style, that is
>> much better.
>>>

>> would you be so kind as to share it?
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

> OK, here it is.
>
> String beans, Shanghai Style.
>
> 1 lb fresh string beans
> 2 tsp sesame seeds
>
> Sauce
> 1tab sugar
> 2 tab dry sherry
> 1/2 tsp white pepper
> 2 tsp soy sauce
> 1/2 tsp sesame oil
> 1/4 tsp MSG
>
> 2 1/2 Tab veg oil ( or squirt of Misto in non stick pan)
> 1/2 tsp salt
>
> Trim and parboil string beans for 2 minutes in rapidly boiling water.
> Drain and rinse with cold water.
>
> Heat sesame seeds over moderate heat in non-stick pan until they turm
> light brown.
>
> Heat wok or non-stick pan, when hot, add veg oil, salt and beans. Stir
> fry for 1 minute, add sauce and stir fry for another minute. Add sesame
> seeds, blend and serve.

Sounds great! I copied it and saved it. Thank you.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" ha scritto nel messaggio

Buy yourself a new monitor. Those beans are green. Although some food
bloggers become very good photographers and end up buying lights, backdrops,
accressories to get exceptional photos, it's unfair to expect a normal
homemaker to spend a fortune doing that when all she wants to do is cook.
She is doing this for free. She has lighting not designed for photography.
She hasn't styled the food nor taken food photography classes.

You are not only unfair to Koko who has never claimed to be a professional,
you don't even know enough yourself to criticize her in the manner you do.
Your photos are not very good. Your descriptions of your cookery certainly
give you no grounds for sniping at her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "brooklyn1" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> Buy yourself a new monitor. Those beans are green.

Exactly, I'll bet he has the first monitor he got when he became an aol
premium user.

The beans look green and nice quality.

Although some food
> bloggers become very good photographers and end up buying lights, backdrops,
> accressories to get exceptional photos, it's unfair to expect a normal
> homemaker to spend a fortune doing that when all she wants to do is cook.
> She is doing this for free. She has lighting not designed for photography.
> She hasn't styled the food nor taken food photography classes.

The pictures look fine to me.

> You are not only unfair to Koko who has never claimed to be a professional,
> you don't even know enough yourself to criticize her in the manner you do.
> Your photos are not very good. Your descriptions of your cookery certainly
> give you no grounds for sniping at her.

+1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> I have a recipe for green beans, Shanghai style, that is much better.

Yes, it is much better:
http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...5/138578.shtml

These are better yet:
http://chinesefood.about.com/od/vege.../greenbean.htm

I've grown these, excellent: http://tinyurl.com/kn99h9
http://www.burpee.com/product/vegeta...rrivals&page=1

> String beans, Shanghai Style.
>
> 1 lb fresh string beans
> 2 tsp sesame seeds
>
> Sauce
> 1tab sugar
> 2 tab dry sherry
> 1/2 tsp white pepper
> 2 tsp soy sauce
> 1/2 tsp sesame oil
> 1/4 tsp MSG
>
> 2 1/2 Tab veg oil ( or squirt of Misto in non stick pan)
> 1/2 tsp salt
>
> Trim and parboil string beans for 2 minutes in rapidly boiling water.
> Drain and rinse with cold water.
>
> Heat sesame seeds over moderate heat in non-stick pan until they turm
> light brown.
>
> Heat wok or non-stick pan, when hot, add veg oil, salt and beans. Stir fry
> for 1 minute, add sauce and stir fry for another minute. Add sesame seeds,
> blend and serve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 19:39:54 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> Janet wrote on Tue, 08 Sep 2009 18:25:13 -0500:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:
>> < I have a recipe for green beans, Shanghai style, that is
>> much better.
>>>

>> would you be so kind as to share it?
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

> OK, here it is.
>
> String beans, Shanghai Style.

<snip recipe>

clipped and saved. thanks, james.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 19:54:24 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:
[...]
> I agree that okra would be a good sub here... at least it sounds like a
> good sub to try. Okra when not in a slimy delivery, is one of my
> favorite veggies.

There are two main ways to cut okra slime. One is to fry it,
plain or floured with corn meal into which you've mixed a little curry
powder. The other is to cook it with something acid. She fries it *and*
cooks it with both tomatoes *and* vinegar.

It wouldn't surprise me if her source had been adapted from an
earlier source originally meant for okra.

It's bound to be as good as the pix look, with either -- or,
maybe, some mixture of okra and green (or purple!) beans. Note that okra
normally wants considerably more cooking than beans ....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> * * * * There are two main ways to cut okra slime. One is to fry it,
> plain or floured with corn meal into which you've mixed a little curry
> powder. The other is to cook it with something acid. She fries it *and*
> cooks it with both tomatoes *and* vinegar.

Okra isn't good in any form.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:23:17 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:

>> * * * * There are two main ways to cut okra slime. One is to fry it,
>> plain or floured with corn meal into which you've mixed a little curry
>> powder. The other is to cook it with something acid. She fries it *and*
>> cooks it with both tomatoes *and* vinegar.

> Okra isn't good in any form.
>
> N.

i like pickled okra:

<http://www.talkotexas.com/products.html>

....and would probably dig breaded and deep-fried if there was someplace
near me that did them.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:23:17 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
> >> * * * * There are two main ways to cut okra slime. One is to fry it,
> >> plain or floured with corn meal into which you've mixed a little curry
> >> powder. The other is to cook it with something acid. She fries it *and*
> >> cooks it with both tomatoes *and* vinegar.

> >Okra isn't good in any form.
> >
> >N.

> It's wonderful fried!!
>
> Christine

I like it blanched or lightly steamed.

Pickled works too.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message

> Okra isn't good in any form.
>
> N.

Ditto what she said. Okra should be reclassified as hazardous waste.