Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

Old 31-08-2009, 02:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

Hello, Everyone:

The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
the green ones?

Thank you for reading and replying!

--Roland
Old 31-08-2009, 04:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

qquito wrote:
Hello, Everyone:

The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
the green ones?

Thank you for reading and replying!

--Roland

They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.

I think they taste better, too.

gloria p
Old 31-08-2009, 04:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

On Aug 30, 6:26 pm, qquito wrote:
Hello, Everyone:

The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
the green ones?

The green bell pepper is picked earlier. If they left it on the plant
to ripen fully it would turn red. In other words, the red (and yellow
and orange) peppers take more time from planting to harvest. For a
farmer that means they are costlier, hence the price is higher. I
don't have any idea why nutrition or vitamin content would change.
Not saying it's not different, I just don't know. -aem
Old 31-08-2009, 04:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 30, 8:26*pm, qquito wrote:
Hello, Everyone:

The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
the green ones?

Thank you for reading and replying!

--Roland

Who the **** cares?

You're welcome!
Old 31-08-2009, 04:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:26:36 -0700 (PDT), qquito wrote:

Hello, Everyone:

The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
the green ones?

Thank you for reading and replying!

Peppers other than green take longer to grow, don't last as long on
the shelves, and when ripened on the plant they inhibit new pepper
growth. All of which the growers don't like (especially that last
reason). So they charge a lot more.

-sw
Old 31-08-2009, 09:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Gloria P wrote:

qquito wrote:
Hello, Everyone:

The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
the green ones?

Thank you for reading and replying!

--Roland

They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.

Which is why I only feed ripe peppers to my cockatoo.
I'll purchase some jalapenos on the color turn too, and not feed them to
her until they turn red. Red jalapenos are also sweeter.

I think they taste better, too.

gloria p

Totally agree. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 31-08-2009, 10:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" wrote in message

They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.

I think they taste better, too.

gloria p

But the red ones I only taste once. The green ones I can taste again, and
again, and again.

Old 31-08-2009, 02:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 4:50*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Gloria P" wrote in message

They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.

I think they taste better, too.

gloria p

But the red ones I only taste once. *The green ones I can taste again, and
again, and again.

Amen, amen, amen! I really don't care for any of them no matter the
color as for me I don't think they add anything to a recipe other than
color.
Old 31-08-2009, 06:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Gloria P wrote:

qquito wrote:
Hello, Everyone:

The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
the green ones?

Thank you for reading and replying!

--Roland

They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.

Which is why I only feed ripe peppers to my cockatoo.
I'll purchase some jalapenos on the color turn too, and not feed them to
her until they turn red. Red jalapenos are also sweeter.

Ripe bell peppers contain more sugar too, but they don't necessarily contain
more vitamins/minerals than green bell peppers, they can actually contain
less vitamins especially if sitting on produce shelves longer which tends to
be true of more costly items, and mineral content is mostly a result of the
soil on which it was grown. However red fruit generally contains more
anitioxident value than green fruit. I typically use green bells for
cooking and save the reds to eat raw in salads.. I think, due to the higher
price, it adds insult to injury to cook red peppers because heat destroys
much of the vitamins, and minerals are leached out into cooking liquid which
is true for preparing any vegetable... when folks steam/boil veggies unless
they consume the liquid they are eating the chaff and discarding the
nutrition.

Old 31-08-2009, 07:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ripe bell peppers contain more sugar too, but they don't necessarily
contain more vitamins/minerals than green bell peppers, they can actually
contain less vitamins especially if sitting on produce shelves longer
which tends to be true of more costly items, and mineral content is mostly
a result of the soil on which it was grown. However red fruit generally
contains more anitioxident value than green fruit. I typically use green
bells for cooking and save the reds to eat raw in salads.. I think, due to
the higher price, it adds insult to injury to cook red peppers because
heat destroys much of the vitamins, and minerals are leached out into
cooking liquid which is true for preparing any vegetable... when folks
steam/boil veggies unless they consume the liquid they are eating the
chaff and discarding the nutrition.

True. However there is also microwaving, which cooks vegetables without
leaching all the nutrients out (maybe a small bit due to evaporation).

Jon

Old 31-08-2009, 10:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn 1 wrote:
Ripe bell peppers contain more sugar too, but they don't necessarily
contain more vitamins/minerals than green bell peppers, they can actually
contain less vitamins

This is an interesting site if you like peppers.

From: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=50

"One cup of raw, chopped red peppers provides over 100% of the DV for
vitamin C and vitamin A. Red peppers are also an excellent source of
vitamin B6. In addition to beta-carotene, red peppers contain the
beneficial phytonutrients lycopene, lutein and zeaxanthin.

Green peppers are a very good source of fiber, folate, and vitamin K as
well as the minerals molybdenum and manganese."

gloria p

From: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=50

"One cup of raw, chopped red peppers provides over 100% of the DV for
vitamin C and vitamin A. Red peppers are also an excellent source of
vitamin B6. In addition to beta-carotene, red peppers contain the
beneficial phytonutrients lycopene, lutein and zeaxanthin.

Green peppers are a very good source of fiber, folate, and vitamin K as
well as the minerals molybdenum and manganese."

gloria p

Nice. I think I'll be getting more of those for Freya. I wonder if
she'd eat them better if I sliced them up for her? She likes to chew a
hole in the side of a bell pepper to get at the seeds. Same for anaheims
and jalapenos.

The last bag of parrot mix I bought for her (Natural Harvest) had a
larger number of dried peppers in it than I'd ever seen in a parrot mix.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 01-09-2009, 03:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

I think I'll be getting more of those for Freya. I wonder if
she'd eat them better if I sliced them up for her? She likes to chew a
hole in the side of a bell pepper to get at the seeds. Same for anaheims
and jalapenos.

The last bag of parrot mix I bought for her (Natural Harvest) had a
larger number of dried peppers in it than I'd ever seen in a parrot mix.

Dear Daughter informed me as we were preparing chilies for the freezer
that all birds have no capsaicin receptors so they can eat the hottest
peppers without feeling any heat.

gloria p