J Krugman

Default Cuban cooking: "boliche"

I want to make a braised beef recipe that I got from a Cuban friend.
This recipe calls for a cut that Cubans call "boliche", but that
probably has no perfect equivalent in the US, since the animal is
cut differently in the two countries. Does anybody know what part
of the animal "boliche" comes from? And what's the American cut
that's closest to boliche?

Thanks!

Jill

Jack Schidt®

"J Krugman" > wrote in message

> I want to make a braised beef recipe that I got from a Cuban friend.
> This recipe calls for a cut that Cubans call "boliche", but that
> probably has no perfect equivalent in the US, since the animal is
> cut differently in the two countries. Does anybody know what part
> of the animal "boliche" comes from? And what's the American cut
> that's closest to boliche?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jill

Eye Round, not to be confused with that Asian term of endearment "Round
Eye".

Jack Biff

PENMART01

J Krugman writes:

>I want to make a braised beef recipe that I got from a Cuban friend.
>This recipe calls for a cut that Cubans call "boliche", but that
>probably has no perfect equivalent in the US, since the animal is
>cut differently in the two countries. Does anybody know what part
>of the animal "boliche" comes from? And what's the American cut
>that's closest to boliche?

My Spanish dictionary says boliche means "jack" (small balls) [for bowling]
skittles

There are many meat cuts that can be used, chuck, round...

You need to learn how to search: <boliche recipe>... many hits.

http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._11908,00.html

Boliche
Recipe courtesy El Camaguey, Los Angeles

5 to 6 pounds Eye Round beef
6 garlic cloves, mashed
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons bitter orange juice
1 cup dry white cooking wine
3 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 pound ham in small cubes
1 carrot, sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, cut in medium size pieces
1/2 red bell pepper, cut in medium size pieces
2 small Cuban-style chorizos, sliced
1/4 cup vegetable oil
8 ounces tomato sauce
Topping:
1 sliced seared onion
2 fried ripe plantains
Steak fries

Clean the meat by trimming excess fat. With a knife make an opening through the
center of the meat. Place the meat in a large pot. To prepare marinade, mix
garlic, oregano, cumin, bay leaf, bitter orange juice, cooking wine, salt and
pepper. Add 3 tablespoons of the marinade to the opening inside the meat. In
another container mix the stuffing: ham, carrot, bell peppers and chorizo then
place the stuffing inside the meat. Add the rest of the marinade to the outside
of the meat. For best results let the meat sit overnight or at least 3 hours,
refrigerated.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large frying pan heat cooking oil and
remove meat from marinade. Place meat in a hot frying pan, and sear the meat;
browning it gives the meat flavor. Add the remaining marinade, cover and place
in oven for approximately 3 hours. Let the meat cool before cutting it in
slices. Combine the tomato sauce with the marinade that remained in the pan and
put this mixture in a saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes. Pour over the sliced
meat, and add the toppings and serve.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Jill

Hi Jill,

Living near Tampa where there is a huge Cuban influence I have seen many
variations of Boliche. The cut most often used for this dish around here is
eye round.
I did a quick Google search and saw recipes using eye round (Food TV
Network) and some others using various chuck roasts.

Hope that helps.. (another) Jill

"J Krugman" > wrote in message

> I want to make a braised beef recipe that I got from a Cuban friend.
> This recipe calls for a cut that Cubans call "boliche", but that
> probably has no perfect equivalent in the US, since the animal is
> cut differently in the two countries. Does anybody know what part
> of the animal "boliche" comes from? And what's the American cut
> that's closest to boliche?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jill

J Krugman

In > (PENMART01) writes:

>There are many meat cuts that can be used, chuck, round...

>You need to learn how to search: <boliche recipe>... many hits.

I did, but the results were confusing and contrary to my experience
of the dish...

I'm beginning to suspect that the problem has to do with the
information I got from my friend. She called the *cut of meat*
"boliche", but I think that what she meant (or should have meant)
was "the cut used in [a different dish called] boliche".

So I was searching for "boliche, the cut" not "boliche, the dish".

In all the boliche recipes I've found, including the one you posted,
the meat is stuffed with chorizo and/or ham, which is decidedly
*not* the case with the recipe I am trying to make. (I'm trying
to make *Cuban* carne asada, though searching for "carne asada"
gives me a million recipes for *Mexican* carne asada, and none for
the Cuban version.)

Another thing that threw me off is that I thought the eye of round
cut was a large boxlike cut, something with the dimensions of a
1/2 gallon carton, and which is different from what I recall of my
friend's recipe, namely a slenderer, *log-like* cut of meat, closer
in dimension to a wine bottle without the neck. Adding to this
confusion, there was one search result in which the explicit
distinction was made between the "eye of round" cut and "the eye
of the round". I interpreted this to mean that Cuban butchers cut
out a *part* of what we call "eye of round", and this part is the
eye of the round proper.

So you see, I did search, but I just got *very* confused!

Jill

J Krugman

In > "Jill" > writes:

>Hi Jill,

>Living near Tampa where there is a huge Cuban influence I have seen many
>variations of Boliche.

What about "carne asada"? What do the local Cubans use for that?

Thanks!

Jill

J Krugman wrote:

> I want to make a braised beef recipe that I got from a Cuban friend.
> This recipe calls for a cut that Cubans call "boliche", but that
> probably has no perfect equivalent in the US, since the animal is
> cut differently in the two countries. Does anybody know what part
> of the animal "boliche" comes from? And what's the American cut
> that's closest to boliche?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jill

Boliche is the eye round. Usually a whole eye round that is perforated
lengthwise and stuffed with either chorizo or ham.

Here is a recipe, translated from Nitza Villapol's "Cocina al Minuto":

"Carne mechada" (boliche)

1 eye round (about 3 pounds)
1/4 pound ham
1 slice of bacon
1 sour orange (or use juice of 3 or 4 limes
1/2 large onion
1 clove of garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp dry sherry
1 large green pepper
1 sprig of parsley
3 laurel leaves
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp MSG

With a sharp knife make a cut lengthwise from each end of the meat. Cut the
ham into long slices and puch the ham and bacon into the cuts. Marinate the
meat with the sour orange juice, sliced onion, parsley, sliced green pepper,
mashed garlic, laurel and pepper.

Drain the meat, reserving the marinade. Brown the meat on all sides in the
oil. Add the sherry, salt, MSG and the liquid from the marinade. Cook at low
temperature in a covered pot for approximately an hour and a half.

Slice across in slices about half to three quarter inch thick. Serve with the
gravy.

This would probably be perfect too cook in a crockpot. Adjust time as needed.
J Krugman

aasainz, thanks for translating/transcribing the Nitza Villapol
recipe!

Jill

J Krugman wrote:

> In > (PENMART01) writes:
>
> >There are many meat cuts that can be used, chuck, round...

> >You need to learn how to search: <boliche recipe>... many hits.

> I did, but the results were confusing and contrary to my experience
> of the dish...
>
> I'm beginning to suspect that the problem has to do with the
> information I got from my friend. She called the *cut of meat*
> "boliche", but I think that what she meant (or should have meant)
> was "the cut used in [a different dish called] boliche".
>
> So I was searching for "boliche, the cut" not "boliche, the dish".
>
> In all the boliche recipes I've found, including the one you posted,
> the meat is stuffed with chorizo and/or ham, which is decidedly
> *not* the case with the recipe I am trying to make. (I'm trying
> to make *Cuban* carne asada, though searching for "carne asada"
> gives me a million recipes for *Mexican* carne asada, and none for
> the Cuban version.)
>
> Another thing that threw me off is that I thought the eye of round
> cut was a large boxlike cut, something with the dimensions of a
> 1/2 gallon carton, and which is different from what I recall of my
> friend's recipe, namely a slenderer, *log-like* cut of meat, closer
> in dimension to a wine bottle without the neck. Adding to this
> confusion, there was one search result in which the explicit
> distinction was made between the "eye of round" cut and "the eye
> of the round". I interpreted this to mean that Cuban butchers cut
> out a *part* of what we call "eye of round", and this part is the
> eye of the round proper.
>
> So you see, I did search, but I just got *very* confused!
>
> Jill

OK, again from Nitza Villapol:

Carne asada con naranja

1 boliche (about 3 pounds)
1 tsp meat tenderizer
1 large onion
1 green pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 sour orange (or juice of three or four limes)
6 prunes, no seeds
1/4 pound sweet ham, sliced

-------------

2 slices of bacon
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup dry sherry
3 or 4 oranges (sweet, not sour)

Clean the boliche, prick with a fork and sprinkle with the meat tenderizer.
Perforate the meat with a sharp knife, making six holes. Place the prunes
wrapped in the ham slices.

Prepare a marinade with the mashed garlic, black pepper, sour orange juice.
Pour over the meat adding the sliced onion and sliced green pepper. Marinate
for at least 3 hours. It can be done the day before.

Heat a pot and fry the bacon slices until the fat is rendered. Drain the
boliche and brown in the fat until it is browned. Add the wine and the juice
of two oranges. Cook well covered at a low heat until it is tender. Add orange
juice as needed to make sure it does not scorch.

Slice across, half to three quarter inches thick slices. Pour the gravy on
top.

8 portions.

This is the second time I post a recipe quoting from Nitza Villapol's book.
She was a Cuban chef who published her recipes in a book called "Cocina al
Minuto". This book has been translated into English and you can probably find
it by doing a search in Google or in one of the bookstores. The book may be
under another author's name since her helper translated the book and published
it under her (the helper's) own name. Can you kids spell plagiarism?

If you have ever tasted black bean soup you should really try her recipe.
After you try it you may never like anyone else's version.

J Krugman wrote:

> In > "Jill" > writes:
>
> >Hi Jill,

> >Living near Tampa where there is a huge Cuban influence I have seen many
> >variations of Boliche.

> What about "carne asada"? What do the local Cubans use for that?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jill

Eye round, "boliche". Very similar dishes. I live in Miami and you can find
both boliche and carne asada in just about any latin restaurant. Ther are many
variation of this dish.

J Krugman wrote:

> aasainz, thanks for translating/transcribing the Nitza Villapol
> recipe!
>
> Jill

My pleasure. Nitza Villapol was known as "the Cuban Julia Childs". She had a
TV show back in the pre-* times.
Richard Periut

(PENMART01) writes:

> [...]

> of two oranges. Cook well covered at a low heat until it is tender. Add orange
> juice as needed to make sure it does not scorch.
>
> Slice across, half to three quarter inches thick slices. Pour the gravy on
> top.
>
> 8 portions.
>
> This is the second time I post a recipe quoting from Nitza Villapol's book.
> She was a Cuban chef who published her recipes in a book called "Cocina al
> Minuto". This book has been translated into English and you can probably find
> it by doing a search in Google or in one of the bookstores. The book may be
> under another author's name since her helper translated the book and published
> it under her (the helper's) own name. Can you kids spell plagiarism?
>
> If you have ever tasted black bean soup you should really try her recipe.
> After you try it you may never like anyone else's version.

Yes, she certainly was the Julia Childs of Cuba. She died a couple of
years ago in Cuba. And yes, the book was published with out her (eh hem,
Castro's) permission ; )

The black beans are the best variation I've ever had. Ths sugar and
vinegar I think is what makes the dish better. However, I don't go
through the initial process of softening the beans; I take the first two
step, and incorporate them in one by using the pressure cooker. Comes
out just as good.

Saludos,

Richard

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

(PENMART01) writes:

> [...]

> > it by doing a search in Google or in one of the bookstores. The book may be
> > under another author's name since her helper translated the book and published
> > it under her (the helper's) own name. Can you kids spell plagiarism?
> >
> > If you have ever tasted black bean soup you should really try her recipe.
> > After you try it you may never like anyone else's version.

> Yes, she certainly was the Julia Childs of Cuba. She died a couple of
> years ago in Cuba. And yes, the book was published with out her (eh hem,
> Castro's) permission ; )
>
> The black beans are the best variation I've ever had. Ths sugar and
> vinegar I think is what makes the dish better. However, I don't go
> through the initial process of softening the beans; I take the first two
> step, and incorporate them in one by using the pressure cooker. Comes

You have to remember that the recipe was written with the expectation of
"difficult to soften" beans. Black beans available in the US get softened
easily and don't require the presoak she recommends. I don't like to use the
pressure cooker. I prefer to just cook them in a pot until soft.

I do modify the recipe by adding two ingredients. One leaf of "culantro" and
one or two cachucha peppers. I haven't yet figured out what the name of
culantro is in English. It is not cilantro. It is a longish leaf, about 4 or
so inches with a serrated edge and a pungent taste. In Puerto Rico it is
called "recao". The cachucha pepper looks a bit like habaneros but it is
totally sweet.

I love her recipe for potato salad where she subtitutes part of the mayo with
cream cheese.

Saludos

Bert
Richard Periut

(PENMART01) writes:

>>>OK, again from Nitza Villapol:
>>>
>>>Carne asada con naranja
>>>
>>> 1 boliche (about 3 pounds)
>>> 1 tsp meat tenderizer
>>> 1 large onion
>>> 1 green pepper
>>> 2 cloves of garlic
>>>1/4 tsp ground black pepper
>>> 1 sour orange (or juice of three or four limes)
>>> 6 prunes, no seeds
>>>1/4 pound sweet ham, sliced
>>>
>>>-------------
>>>
>>> 2 slices of bacon
>>> 1 clove of garlic
>>> 1 tsp salt
>>>1/2 cup dry sherry
>>> 3 or 4 oranges (sweet, not sour)
>>>
>>>Clean the boliche, prick with a fork and sprinkle with the meat tenderizer.
>>>Perforate the meat with a sharp knife, making six holes. Place the prunes
>>>wrapped in the ham slices.
>>>
>>>Prepare a marinade with the mashed garlic, black pepper, sour orange juice.
>>>Pour over the meat adding the sliced onion and sliced green pepper. Marinate
>>>for at least 3 hours. It can be done the day before.
>>>
>>>Heat a pot and fry the bacon slices until the fat is rendered. Drain the
>>>boliche and brown in the fat until it is browned. Add the wine and the juice
>>>of two oranges. Cook well covered at a low heat until it is tender. Add orange
>>>juice as needed to make sure it does not scorch.
>>>
>>>Slice across, half to three quarter inches thick slices. Pour the gravy on
>>>top.
>>>
>>>8 portions.
>>>
>>>This is the second time I post a recipe quoting from Nitza Villapol's book.
>>>She was a Cuban chef who published her recipes in a book called "Cocina al
>>>Minuto". This book has been translated into English and you can probably find
>>>it by doing a search in Google or in one of the bookstores. The book may be
>>>under another author's name since her helper translated the book and published
>>>it under her (the helper's) own name. Can you kids spell plagiarism?
>>>
>>>If you have ever tasted black bean soup you should really try her recipe.
>>>After you try it you may never like anyone else's version.

>>Yes, she certainly was the Julia Childs of Cuba. She died a couple of
>>years ago in Cuba. And yes, the book was published with out her (eh hem,
>>Castro's) permission ; )
>>
>>The black beans are the best variation I've ever had. Ths sugar and
>>vinegar I think is what makes the dish better. However, I don't go
>>through the initial process of softening the beans; I take the first two
>>step, and incorporate them in one by using the pressure cooker. Comes
>>out just as good.
>>
>>Saludos,
>>
>>Richard
>>

> You have to remember that the recipe was written with the expectation of
> "difficult to soften" beans. Black beans available in the US get softened
> easily and don't require the presoak she recommends. I don't like to use the
> pressure cooker. I prefer to just cook them in a pot until soft.

Try it with the pressure cooker, and you'll see there is no big
difference. Matter of fact, I like the consistency of the beans more.

> I do modify the recipe by adding two ingredients. One leaf of "culantro" and
> one or two cachucha peppers. I haven't yet figured out what the name of
> culantro is in English. It is not cilantro. It is a longish leaf, about 4 or
> so inches with a serrated edge and a pungent taste. In Puerto Rico it is
> called "recao".

Yes, it smells alot like cilantro. My wife uses it (she's Dominican)
when making her Jaba (?spelling) beans, and they really give the dish
that extra oomph.

The cachucha pepper looks a bit like habaneros but it is
> totally sweet.

I don't think Cubans use that pepper very often (at least I never saw my
mother cook with it,) but my wife introduced me to it when she makes
certain sofritos, et cetera, and I've fallen in love with the special
and unique perfume they give off. BTW, I do enjoy my home grown
Habaneros with their excellent fruitiness and heat. How ironic, the
Habanero has nothing to do with Cuba, and Cubans don't use it because
even black pepper is considered too hot for most Cuban palates.
> I love her recipe for potato salad where she subtitutes part of the mayo with
> cream cheese.
>
> Saludos
>
> Bert

Gotta try that one. I really only use her recipes for traditional Cuban
food. Her pastries (like most other Latin American ones,) are just too
sweet for my tooth. Too much sugar in there.

However, what I have to give her most credit for, is for educating the
Cubans of the era, about international classics.

I must admit that Cuban cuisine, with the exception of Black Beans and
Ropa Vieja, is not terribly exciting nor unique to Cubans. It's just the
same old blend of Spanish, African, and a slight Indigenous influence,
with various twists.

Are you from PR? One of my favorite dishes is a nice mofongo : ) Now I
am craving for one : ) Have a good recipe for one?

Saludos,

Richard

Foxy Lady

> wrote in message

<snip>

> You have to remember that the recipe was written with the expectation of
> "difficult to soften" beans. Black beans available in the US get softened
> easily and don't require the presoak she recommends. I don't like to use

the
> pressure cooker. I prefer to just cook them in a pot until soft.
>
> I do modify the recipe by adding two ingredients. One leaf of "culantro"

and
> one or two cachucha peppers. I haven't yet figured out what the name of
> culantro is in English. It is not cilantro. It is a longish leaf, about 4

or
> so inches with a serrated edge and a pungent taste. In Puerto Rico it is
> called "recao". The cachucha pepper looks a bit like habaneros but it is
> totally sweet.
>
> I love her recipe for potato salad where she subtitutes part of the mayo

with
> cream cheese.
>
> Saludos
>
> Bert

Saludos Bert!!!

Culantro!!! How can anyone cook Puerto Rican food without it??? I receive
CARE packages of it from my mom and when she comes to visit us in Maryland
she brings small plants (leaves and root systems) wrapped in wet paper
towels and then all wrapped in aluminum foil. I have many of them in pots
all over my house. She also sends me the cachuca peppers (ajies dulces, or
ajicitos). I save the seeds and plant them in whatever is available. All of
the plants (recao and ajicitos) have thrived here despite the weather.
Summer & spring, outside... fall & winter, inside.

Culantro is Puerto Rican Coriander... Eryngium foetidum is its botanical
name... you can buy it in Vietnamese markets where it's called ngo gai... or
in Caribbean markets where it's called Shadow Benny...

Our local supermarket (Weis) sells fresh herb plants with soil in plastic
bags for $1.99. I hardly go there because I love the local farmer's markets
and also because we live in an area where there are plenty of farms... but
this day I went to but cilantro when lo and behold, there right before my
eyes was a bag labeled Cilantro but it had Culantro in it!!! It's a Florida
company that sells both herbs so I guess someone messed up... but I was very
happy!!! Unfortunately they straightened it out and I haven't seen another
culantro plant since.

Thanks for mentioning both of these essential ingredients...

Sandra

(PENMART01) writes:

<snip>

> >>Yes, she certainly was the Julia Childs of Cuba. She died a couple of
> >>years ago in Cuba. And yes, the book was published with out her (eh hem,
> >>Castro's) permission ; )
> >>
> >>The black beans are the best variation I've ever had. Ths sugar and
> >>vinegar I think is what makes the dish better. However, I don't go
> >>through the initial process of softening the beans; I take the first two
> >>step, and incorporate them in one by using the pressure cooker. Comes
> >>out just as good.
> >>
> >>Saludos,
> >>
> >>Richard
> >>

> > You have to remember that the recipe was written with the expectation of
> > "difficult to soften" beans. Black beans available in the US get softened
> > easily and don't require the presoak she recommends. I don't like to use the
> > pressure cooker. I prefer to just cook them in a pot until soft.

> Try it with the pressure cooker, and you'll see there is no big
> difference. Matter of fact, I like the consistency of the beans more.
> >
> > I do modify the recipe by adding two ingredients. One leaf of "culantro" and
> > one or two cachucha peppers. I haven't yet figured out what the name of
> > culantro is in English. It is not cilantro. It is a longish leaf, about 4 or
> > so inches with a serrated edge and a pungent taste. In Puerto Rico it is
> > called "recao".

> Yes, it smells alot like cilantro. My wife uses it (she's Dominican)
> when making her Jaba (?spelling) beans, and they really give the dish
> that extra oomph.

The Spanish spelling it Haba. The H is silent.

> The cachucha pepper looks a bit like habaneros but it is
> > totally sweet.
> >

> I don't think Cubans use that pepper very often (at least I never saw my
> mother cook with it,) but my wife introduced me to it when she makes
> certain sofritos, et cetera, and I've fallen in love with the special
> and unique perfume they give off. BTW, I do enjoy my home grown
> Habaneros with their excellent fruitiness and heat. How ironic, the
> Habanero has nothing to do with Cuba, and Cubans don't use it because
> even black pepper is considered too hot for most Cuban palates.

Cachucha peppers are a must for black beans. It is also used raw, chopped in
small pieces in salads. Ask any Cuban about them and they will immediately
mention black beans.

I love hot food up to a point. I don't want the spiciness to overcome the
taste of the food. For example, I am very picky about hot sauces. I like
Tabasco for the undertaste of green peppers. Most others I dislike, they are
hot just for the sake of being hot. My wife, on the other hand, does not like
spicy foods at all.

Hmmm... try her recipe for "langosta enchilada" or "camarones enchilados".

> > I love her recipe for potato salad where she subtitutes part of the mayo with
> > cream cheese.
> >
> > Saludos
> >
> > Bert

> Gotta try that one. I really only use her recipes for traditional Cuban
> food. Her pastries (like most other Latin American ones,) are just too
> sweet for my tooth. Too much sugar in there.

Her book has three recipes for potato salad. The one I refer to is the
simplest one.

And you are right about the sugar in her pastries. A lot of them are French
inspired.

> However, what I have to give her most credit for, is for educating the
> Cubans of the era, about international classics.
>
> I must admit that Cuban cuisine, with the exception of Black Beans and
> Ropa Vieja, is not terribly exciting nor unique to Cubans. It's just the
> same old blend of Spanish, African, and a slight Indigenous influence,
> with various twists.
>
> Are you from PR? One of my favorite dishes is a nice mofongo : ) Now I
> am craving for one : ) Have a good recipe for one?

No, I am from Cuba. Been living in the US since 1961.

Sorry, I don't have a recipe for mofongo. But if you like mofongo perhaps you
should look up her recipe for ajiaco. You may have a hard time finding some of
the ingredients. There are a lot of them and unless you have access to a store
that sells lots of Cuban vegetables like malanga, ñame, yuca and boniato you
may have a hard time making it. Basically a soup with several different meats,
vegetables, etc. You can skip some of the ingredients if you can't find them
as long as you don't skip the ripe plantains.

I found you one pastry you should not find too sweet. Look up her croissants
avec pignons. It may not be in the English translation. You need one of the
original books in Spanish. I can look up the ISBN number if you like.

Saludos,

Bert

Foxy Lady wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
> > You have to remember that the recipe was written with the expectation of
> > "difficult to soften" beans. Black beans available in the US get softened
> > easily and don't require the presoak she recommends. I don't like to use

> the
> > pressure cooker. I prefer to just cook them in a pot until soft.
> >
> > I do modify the recipe by adding two ingredients. One leaf of "culantro"

> and
> > one or two cachucha peppers. I haven't yet figured out what the name of
> > culantro is in English. It is not cilantro. It is a longish leaf, about 4

> or
> > so inches with a serrated edge and a pungent taste. In Puerto Rico it is
> > called "recao". The cachucha pepper looks a bit like habaneros but it is
> > totally sweet.
> >
> > I love her recipe for potato salad where she subtitutes part of the mayo

> with
> > cream cheese.
> >
> > Saludos
> >
> > Bert

> Saludos Bert!!!
>
> Culantro!!! How can anyone cook Puerto Rican food without it??? I receive
> CARE packages of it from my mom and when she comes to visit us in Maryland
> she brings small plants (leaves and root systems) wrapped in wet paper
> towels and then all wrapped in aluminum foil. I have many of them in pots
> all over my house. She also sends me the cachuca peppers (ajies dulces, or
> ajicitos). I save the seeds and plant them in whatever is available. All of
> the plants (recao and ajicitos) have thrived here despite the weather.
> Summer & spring, outside... fall & winter, inside.
>
> Culantro is Puerto Rican Coriander... Eryngium foetidum is its botanical
> name... you can buy it in Vietnamese markets where it's called ngo gai... or
> in Caribbean markets where it's called Shadow Benny...
>
> Our local supermarket (Weis) sells fresh herb plants with soil in plastic
> bags for $1.99. I hardly go there because I love the local farmer's markets
> and also because we live in an area where there are plenty of farms... but
> this day I went to but cilantro when lo and behold, there right before my
> eyes was a bag labeled Cilantro but it had Culantro in it!!! It's a Florida
> company that sells both herbs so I guess someone messed up... but I was very
> happy!!! Unfortunately they straightened it out and I haven't seen another
> culantro plant since.
>
> Thanks for mentioning both of these essential ingredients...
>
> Sandra

Oh, wow! I have started something here. How long before someone in FoodTV
features some of these?

Thanks for the information on culantro. I can find it once in a while in a
Winn Dixie but never knew it would be available in a Vietnamese place. We have
a fairly large Viet community here in Miami. I will look it up. It does not
keep or refrigerate well, needs to be fresh.

I used to have several plants of culantro but cats like it and I lost my last
plant last year. I was doing a search today and found a place where they sell
the seeds so I am going to buy some and plant them indoors.

I have a hard time growing peppers for some reason. I gotta try again. The
only one I was able to grow is this very hot pepper, looks like a curly piece
of telephone cable, red. It is called "aji de la puta de su madre" in Cuba.
Not very useful to me and the stuff will burn your fingers if you touch it. In
my opinion it is hotter than habaneros.

If you need Cuban style recipes let me know and I will see what I can dig up.

Saludos

Bert
Jack Schidt®

"Foxy Lady" > wrote in message

> Saludos Bert!!!
>
> Culantro!!! How can anyone cook Puerto Rican food without it??? I receive
> CARE packages of it from my mom and when she comes to visit us in Maryland
> she brings small plants (leaves and root systems) wrapped in wet paper
> towels and then all wrapped in aluminum foil. I have many of them in pots
> all over my house. She also sends me the cachuca peppers (ajies dulces, or
> ajicitos). I save the seeds and plant them in whatever is available. All

of
> the plants (recao and ajicitos) have thrived here despite the weather.
> Summer & spring, outside... fall & winter, inside.
>
> Culantro is Puerto Rican Coriander... Eryngium foetidum is its botanical
> name... you can buy it in Vietnamese markets where it's called ngo gai...

or
> in Caribbean markets where it's called Shadow Benny...
>
> Our local supermarket (Weis) sells fresh herb plants with soil in plastic
> bags for $1.99. I hardly go there because I love the local farmer's

markets
> and also because we live in an area where there are plenty of farms... but
> this day I went to but cilantro when lo and behold, there right before my
> eyes was a bag labeled Cilantro but it had Culantro in it!!! It's a

Florida
> company that sells both herbs so I guess someone messed up... but I was

very
> happy!!! Unfortunately they straightened it out and I haven't seen

another
> culantro plant since.
>
> Thanks for mentioning both of these essential ingredients...
>
> Sandra

Thanks for all the info on culantro. Good to see you posting again too.

Jack Fan

Foxy Lady

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
. ..

> <snip>
>
> Thanks for all the info on culantro. Good to see you posting again too.
>
> Jack Fan

Thanks Jack!!!

I'm still recovering from surgery and have about another 6 months to a year
left... but I sneak some minutes on the computer to keep up with things
whenever I can.

You're welcome about the culantro. If you visit the MD/DC area just let me
know so you can have a taste of Foxy's PR cooking <smile>

Sandra

Foxy Lady

> wrote in message
> Foxy Lady wrote:
> >
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > <snip>

> Oh, wow! I have started something here. How long before someone in FoodTV
> features some of these?

In some of the Melting Pot episodes with Aaron Sanchez and Alex Garcia they
chat about these herbs and the cuisines of Puerto Rico and Cuba. I love to
see them cooking because you can tell they're dying to eat the food!

Also, in an episode of Food Finds they profiled PR coffee and snacks
(platanutres, cassava chips, etc.).

On 11/10/03, at 11am they will show an episode of Melting Pot with the
following recipes:
Flan de Naranja: Orange-Flavored Flan
Dulce de Leche
Panqueques
Arroz con Leche y Pasas

On 11/11/03, at they will have the following recipes:
Churros
Cuban Sandwiches
Pasteles de Guayaba: Guava Pastries
Empanada de Queso: Cheese Turnovers

The Food Finds episode is older and you have to watch out for it since it
doesn't come up in a search right now... but this link will provide info on
the episode:
Where to Find
Mildred's Natural Chips Mildred\'s Natural Chips

Cafe Rubi Del Monte Cafe Rubi Del Monte

E. Franco & Company

This link will take you to the list of all the episodesnof melting Pot:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/epis...81_186,00.html

> Thanks for the information on culantro. I can find it once in a while in a
> Winn Dixie but never knew it would be available in a Vietnamese place. We

have
> a fairly large Viet community here in Miami. I will look it up. It does

not
> keep or refrigerate well, needs to be fresh.

yes, but if you can get enough of it, process some of it with some olive oil
and keep it in a small jar in the fridge for daily use... i use a teaspoon
of it to refresh flavors in beans, stew, asopaos or anything else i would
use it in... or process it with some onions and freeze it until you can make
sofrito...

> I used to have several plants of culantro but cats like it and I lost my

last
> plant last year. I was doing a search today and found a place where they

sell
> the seeds so I am going to buy some and plant them indoors.

i solved that problem with citrus peels... cats hate citrus and a few
orange/lemon/line/grapefruit peels placed in the pots made them stay away...
i know it sounds weird, and i thought so when i read about it, but it works
for me!

> I have a hard time growing peppers for some reason. I gotta try again. The
> only one I was able to grow is this very hot pepper, looks like a curly

piece
> of telephone cable, red. It is called "aji de la puta de su madre" in

Cuba.
> Not very useful to me and the stuff will burn your fingers if you touch

it. In
> my opinion it is hotter than habaneros.

yikes!!! that's the one we call "diablo rojo" in PR... not because of the
devil but because that's a brand name of a drain cleaner, and just one will
unplug anyone!!!

> If you need Cuban style recipes let me know and I will see what I can dig

up.

thank you Bert!!! appreciate it... even the best cookbooks can't compare to
a personal recipe with great tips...

reading about Nitza Villapol yesterday prompted me to buy another cookbook
(Cocina Criolla) since the other one is still in Puerto Rico... I got a
great price for a brand new one too... $7.85 plus $3.49... better price than
used (starting at $7.95)at Amazon.com...

Hasta pronto Bert,

Sandra

Foxy Lady wrote:

> > wrote in message

> > > <snip>

> > Oh, wow! I have started something here. How long before someone in FoodTV
> > features some of these?

> In some of the Melting Pot episodes with Aaron Sanchez and Alex Garcia they
> chat about these herbs and the cuisines of Puerto Rico and Cuba. I love to
> see them cooking because you can tell they're dying to eat the food!
>
> Also, in an episode of Food Finds they profiled PR coffee and snacks
> (platanutres, cassava chips, etc.).

Ihave never seen the show but I will look for it. I looked at the recipes and
did find a variation of the recipe for yuca con mojo that I will try. I know
it is a simple recipe but I usually cook it in a mortar and include lemon
juice to quench the oil when poured into the mashed garlic.

> On 11/10/03, at 11am they will show an episode of Melting Pot with the
> following recipes:
> Flan de Naranja: Orange-Flavored Flan
> Dulce de Leche
> Panqueques
> Arroz con Leche y Pasas
>
> On 11/11/03, at they will have the following recipes:
> Churros
> Cuban Sandwiches
> Pasteles de Guayaba: Guava Pastries
> Empanada de Queso: Cheese Turnovers

Dang, you are making me hungry...

> The Food Finds episode is older and you have to watch out for it since it
> doesn't come up in a search right now... but this link will provide info on
> the episode:
> Where to Find
> Mildred's Natural Chips Mildred\'s Natural Chips
>
> Cafe Rubi Del Monte Cafe Rubi Del Monte
>
> E. Franco & Company
>
> This link will take you to the list of all the episodesnof melting Pot:
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/epis...81_186,00.html
>
> > Thanks for the information on culantro. I can find it once in a while in a
> > Winn Dixie but never knew it would be available in a Vietnamese place. We

> have
> > a fairly large Viet community here in Miami. I will look it up. It does

> not
> > keep or refrigerate well, needs to be fresh.

> yes, but if you can get enough of it, process some of it with some olive oil
> and keep it in a small jar in the fridge for daily use... i use a teaspoon
> of it to refresh flavors in beans, stew, asopaos or anything else i would
> use it in... or process it with some onions and freeze it until you can make
> sofrito...

I will have to look into recipes that contain culantro a bit more. Y use it to
make salsa instead of cilantro and for black beans. It sounds like it is a
staple in PR cousine.

> > I used to have several plants of culantro but cats like it and I lost my

> last
> > plant last year. I was doing a search today and found a place where they

> sell
> > the seeds so I am going to buy some and plant them indoors.

> i solved that problem with citrus peels... cats hate citrus and a few
> orange/lemon/line/grapefruit peels placed in the pots made them stay away...
> i know it sounds weird, and i thought so when i read about it, but it works
> for me!

Noted.

> > I have a hard time growing peppers for some reason. I gotta try again. The
> > only one I was able to grow is this very hot pepper, looks like a curly

> piece
> > of telephone cable, red. It is called "aji de la puta de su madre" in

> Cuba.
> > Not very useful to me and the stuff will burn your fingers if you touch

> it. In
> > my opinion it is hotter than habaneros.

> yikes!!! that's the one we call "diablo rojo" in PR... not because of the
> devil but because that's a brand name of a drain cleaner, and just one will
> unplug anyone!!!

This stuff will swell your lips if you get even a little touch of the raw
stuff.

> > If you need Cuban style recipes let me know and I will see what I can dig

> up.
>
> thank you Bert!!! appreciate it... even the best cookbooks can't compare to
> a personal recipe with great tips...
>
> reading about Nitza Villapol yesterday prompted me to buy another cookbook
> (Cocina Criolla) since the other one is still in Puerto Rico... I got a
> great price for a brand new one too... $7.85 plus $3.49... better price than
> used (starting at $7.95)at Amazon.com...

Who is the author? This may be the translation of Nitza's book into English.

Saludos!

Bert
Foxy Lady

> wrote in message

<snip>

> > reading about Nitza Villapol yesterday prompted me to buy another

cookbook
> > (Cocina Criolla) since the other one is still in Puerto Rico... I got a
> > great price for a brand new one too... $7.85 plus $3.49... better price

than
> > used (starting at $7.95)at Amazon.com...
> >

> Who is the author? This may be the translation of Nitza's book into

English.

> Saludos!
>
> Bert

Saludos de nuevo Bert,

The book is new and it's in Spanish. I look forward to reading it through!
It already shipped yesterday so I hope to get it by the weekend.

There is a Cuban restaurant in Rockville, Maryland that we go to just to
smell something close to Puerto Rican cuisine. These are links to 2 reviews
on it:

http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/...bancorner.html

http://cuban-food-usa.com/dc_cuban_corner.html

Getting hungry???

LOL!!!

Sandra

Foxy Lady wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
> > > reading about Nitza Villapol yesterday prompted me to buy another

> cookbook
> > > (Cocina Criolla) since the other one is still in Puerto Rico... I got a
> > > great price for a brand new one too... $7.85 plus $3.49... better price

> than
> > > used (starting at $7.95)at Amazon.com...
> > >

> > Who is the author? This may be the translation of Nitza's book into

> English.
> >
> > Saludos!
> >
> > Bert

> Saludos de nuevo Bert,
>
> The book is new and it's in Spanish. I look forward to reading it through!
> It already shipped yesterday so I hope to get it by the weekend.
>
> There is a Cuban restaurant in Rockville, Maryland that we go to just to
> smell something close to Puerto Rican cuisine. These are links to 2 reviews
> on it:
>
> http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/...bancorner.html
>
> http://cuban-food-usa.com/dc_cuban_corner.html
>
> Getting hungry???
>
> LOL!!!
>
> Sandra

Since I live in Miami, most of these dishes are not only commonplace but the
rule. One dish I noticed is the stuffed plantains. That one is not too common
although I have seen it in several places.

Cocina Criolla is the name of Nitza's book. I wonder if that is what you got.
I am looking at a copy right now. Call it the Bible. It is old but has no
publication date. If it is you will enjoy it.

Just had lunch, not too hungry right now...

Bert

Cuban.......Wow! notbob General Cooking 0 04-11-2010 04:24 PM
Cuban Reviewer Mexican Cooking 1 01-09-2006 04:37 PM
Cuban Cod AJ Recipes (moderated) 0 31-07-2006 10:15 AM
Flavor signature of Cuban cooking J Krugman General Cooking 17 08-12-2003 03:38 PM
Culantro, recao, aji, etc (Was: ..."boliche") J Krugman General Cooking 40 10-11-2003 04:49 PM