Dinesh Mahtani \(Dino\)

Default Dish with Yogurt?

Hello again!

I have a lot of yogurt in my fridge. Approx 1 and a half gallons. I made
some Tandoori chicken, but that only finished off half a gallon. I was
wondering if anyone had ideas for what else I could do with it.

Any recipes would be much appreciated. Vege recipes would be great too.

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Dinesh

Curly Sue

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 07:00:04 GMT, "Dinesh Mahtani \(Dino\)"
> wrote:

>Hello again!
>
>I have a lot of yogurt in my fridge. Approx 1 and a half gallons. I made
>some Tandoori chicken, but that only finished off half a gallon. I was
>wondering if anyone had ideas for what else I could do with it.
>
>Any recipes would be much appreciated. Vege recipes would be great too.
>
>Thanks very much in advance for your help!
>
>Dinesh

Drain it and make yogurt cheese. That would at least cut down on the
volume!

Sue(tm)
Jack Schidt®

"Dinesh Mahtani (Dino)" > wrote in message
> Hello again!
>
> I have a lot of yogurt in my fridge. Approx 1 and a half gallons. I made
> some Tandoori chicken, but that only finished off half a gallon. I was
> wondering if anyone had ideas for what else I could do with it.
>
> Any recipes would be much appreciated. Vege recipes would be great too.
>
> Thanks very much in advance for your help!
>
> Dinesh

Here's a simple Raita, for when the vindaloo bites you too hard.

Jack Singh

1 medium cucumber
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 cups plain, whole-milk yogurt
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons fresh coriander or mint leaves, chopped
cayenne or paprika to garnish

Peel cucumber. Cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips, then into thin slices
crosswise. Blot off moisture with paper towels. Toast cumin seeds for a few
seconds in a small, heavy frying pan over high heat. In a bowl, stir yogurt
until it is smooth. Mix it with the cumin, garlic and coriander or mint
leaves. Combine mixture with cucumber slivers, sprinkle with cayenne or
paprika, and chill before serving.

Serves 4 to 6

The Indian Grocery Store Demystified

Linda Bladholm

Renaissance Books

Colin McGregor

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 07:00:04 GMT, "Dinesh Mahtani \(Dino\)"
> wrote:

>Hello again!
>
>I have a lot of yogurt in my fridge. Approx 1 and a half gallons. I made
>some Tandoori chicken, but that only finished off half a gallon. I was
>wondering if anyone had ideas for what else I could do with it.

While I have not tried making my own Tzatziki (a sauce normally served
with Souvlaki, gyros and some other greek dishes) the ingredients are
typically just yogurt (or sour cream) cucumber and a few spices/herbs.

Unless you have some real greek food fanatics I'm afaid this will not
help a lot as being a side sauce the quantities of Tzatziki you would
use (and thus the amount of yogurt) in a typical meal would be modest.

Still, I hope this will help a bit.

>Any recipes would be much appreciated. Vege recipes would be great too.
>
>Thanks very much in advance for your help!
>
>Dinesh

Cate

"Dinesh Mahtani (Dino)" > wrote in message
> Hello again!
>
> I have a lot of yogurt in my fridge. Approx 1 and a half gallons. I made
> some Tandoori chicken, but that only finished off half a gallon. I was
> wondering if anyone had ideas for what else I could do with it.
>
> Any recipes would be much appreciated. Vege recipes would be great too.

Saturday I made an herbed yogurt sauce to go with my chicken and couscous.
This is from Nigella Lawson; I don't precisely follow the recipe anymore, so
amounts are approximate.

a big bunch of coarsely chopped cilantro
slightly less coarsely chopped mint
one finely chopped habanero, including seeds
chopped white part of one bunch scallions
a cup or so of plain yogurt (Greek is better; if not Greek, then drain some
liquid out)

Mix all ingredients together. Serve with chicken breasts marinated 1 hour in
lemon juice and olive oil, and couscous with pine nuts and/or chick peas.

Cate

Tim Challenger

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 07:00:04 GMT, Dinesh Mahtani (Dino) wrote:

> Hello again!

> I have a lot of yogurt in my fridge. Approx 1 and a half gallons. I made
> some Tandoori chicken, but that only finished off half a gallon. I was
> wondering if anyone had ideas for what else I could do with it.

> Any recipes would be much appreciated. Vege recipes would be great too.

> Thanks very much in advance for your help!

> Dinesh

Dumpucked Chicken

Fry chicken pieces until lightly browned (without skin, on or off bone) in
lots of 50/50 butter/oil with whole cloves, cardamon pods, whole
peppercorns and cinnamon sticks.
Remove and place in bottom of oven-proof pot (need a tight-fitting lid).

In the pan with the spices, add a handful of split/slivvered almonds and
fry until just brown, then add a handful of raisuns/sultanas and stir once
or twice. Remove before they burn and put in pot with chicken.

Prepare some yoghurt by adding cayenne pepper, salt and cumin and pout this
over the chicken. Mix well, cover and place in oven at 220C for 3/4 hour ir
until cooked.
Halfway through, mix contents well to stop burning.

The small amount of cayenne pepper shouldn't make the dish very spicy, it
should be mild.

Serve with rice, salad.

Tim.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Darryl L. Pierce

Dinesh Mahtani (Dino) wrote:

> I have a lot of yogurt in my fridge. Approx 1 and a half gallons. I made
> some Tandoori chicken, but that only finished off half a gallon. I was
> wondering if anyone had ideas for what else I could do with it.

Aloo ghobi. Curry chicken/beef/lam. Lassi to drink. Or, like I do, you
could use it on your cereal in the morning.

> Any recipes would be much appreciated. Vege recipes would be great too.

You could pretty much scan the southern indian menu for good vegetarian
dishes that use yoghurt.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/c/mcpierce>
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:13:30 GMT, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

> Or, like I do, you
> could use it on your cereal in the morning.

As you say, on real Müesli, natural yoghurt, some honey or fruit.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Hoges in WA

..
"Dinesh Mahtani (Dino)" > wrote in message
> Hello again!
>
> I have a lot of yogurt in my fridge. Approx 1 and a half gallons. I made
> some Tandoori chicken, but that only finished off half a gallon. I was
> wondering if anyone had ideas for what else I could do with it.
>
> Any recipes would be much appreciated. Vege recipes would be great too.
>
> Thanks very much in advance for your help!
>
> Dinesh
>
> Labneh Makbur (?sp)

1kg thick natural yoghurt (Greek style is best)
2tsp salt
2 clean 50cm square muslin squares
2 fresh bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh oregano
2 cups good quality olive oil (Greek EV of any sort is good or pick the one
you like)
storage jar with tight-fitting lid.

Put yoghurt in a bowl with the two tsp salt and mix well.
Put the muslin squares on top of each other and put the yoghurt in the
middle
Gather up the corners and tie off either to themselves or maybe with a piece
of string
Suspend this over a bowl in the fridge - you might have to put the tied bit
through a rack and hang it over a bowl on the next shelf?
Leave it in the fridge for 3 days. Remove the whey that drains out.

Once it is drained, it should have the consistency of ricotta or at least
heading in that direction.
Take it out and place it in a bowl. Chuck the muslin out.
Roll tablespoons of it into balls and place on a large-ish tray.
Cover loosely and refrigerate for 3 hours to dry out.
Place the balls in a clean, dry, sterilised jar (about 1 litre capacity)
with the bay leaves, the thyme and oregano sprigs. You can, if you want,
put in two cloves of garlic which have been peeled and squashed flat with
the side of a knife.
Fill the jar with the olive oil. Refrigerate for about a week if you want.
Leave it at least one day for infusion, maybe two.

Good on small rounds of crusty bread or as a Marinated Cheese Ball (see
following)

This one's not one of mine, I got it from one of the net recipe places but I
can't remember which one so I can't attribute it.

Marinated Arabic Cheese Balls

1 Cup Labneh Makbur
3 Tablespoons finely chopped Walnuts
¼ Cup Yoghurt (preferably Greek style)
1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh Dill
1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh Parsley
1 Garlic clove, minced
¼ Teaspoon Salt
1 Lettuce
¼ Cup coarsely chopped Walnuts
Pita - toasted triangles

Process the labneh, finely chopped walnuts, and extra yoghurt in a food
processor
until smooth.

Transfer the cheese to a bowl and mix with herbs, garlic, and salt. Shape
into a ball,
cover, and refrigerate for 4 hours.

Line a small serving platter with several lettuce leaves and carefully
transfer the
cheese ball to the platter. Press the coarsely chopped walnuts into the ball
so
they more or less cover it. Serve with the toasted pita triangles.

--
Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds

Dave Smith

"Dinesh Mahtani (Dino)" wrote:

> Hello again!
>
> I have a lot of yogurt in my fridge. Approx 1 and a half gallons. I made
> some Tandoori chicken, but that only finished off half a gallon. I was
> wondering if anyone had ideas for what else I could do with it.
>
> Any recipes would be much appreciated. Vege recipes would be great too.

Male some crepes, let them cool and add a big dollop of yoghurt, spoon some
fresh fruit salad over the yoghurt, roll up the crepe and drizzle some honey
over them. They make a great breakfast or dessert.

Cate

"Cate" > wrote in message

> Mix all ingredients together. Serve with chicken breasts marinated 1 hour

in
> lemon juice and olive oil,

In the interest of both precision and good health, I should've also said
those chicken breasts should be cooked after they're marinated. Preferably
on a hot grill or grill pan.

Cate

PENMART01

In article >, Dave Smith
> writes:

>>I have a lot of yogurt in my fridge. Approx 1 and a half gallons.
>>I was wondering if anyone had ideas for what else I could do with it.

Hmmm....

>Male some crepes, let them cool and add a big dollop of yoghurt, spoon some
>fresh fruit salad over the yoghurt, roll up the crepe and drizzle some honey
>over them. They make a great breakfast or dessert.

Male crepes... dat like male Quiche?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Darryl L. Pierce

Tim Challenger <"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"> wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:13:30 GMT, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>
>> Or, like I do, you
>> could use it on your cereal in the morning.

> As you say, on real Müesli, natural yoghurt, some honey or fruit.

Ah, heck, I put it on Special K with strawberries, the Berry Berry Cheerios
(or whatever it's called) as well as fruit and honey and the like...

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/c/mcpierce>
Deepak Saxena

In article <U1npb.67121$mZ5.426335@attbi_s54>,
Dinesh Mahtani \(Dino\) > wrote:

>Hello again!
>
>I have a lot of yogurt in my fridge. Approx 1 and a half gallons. I made
>some Tandoori chicken, but that only finished off half a gallon. I was
>wondering if anyone had ideas for what else I could do with it.
>
>Any recipes would be much appreciated. Vege recipes would be great too.
>
>Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Mango lassi. Yogurt, mango pulp, sugar, milk, blender, drink. Look up an
exacty recipe on google b/c I don't have it quite memorized yet.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - - http://www.plexity.net
The Joneses

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> "Dinesh Mahtani (Dino)" > wrote in message
> > Hello again!
> >
> > I have a lot of yogurt in my fridge. Approx 1 and a half gallons. I made
> > some Tandoori chicken, but that only finished off half a gallon. I was
> > wondering if anyone had ideas for what else I could do with it.
> >
> > Any recipes would be much appreciated. Vege recipes would be great too.
> >
> > Thanks very much in advance for your help!
> >
> > Dinesh
> >

> Here's a simple Raita, for when the vindaloo bites you too hard.
>
> Jack Singh
>
> 1 medium cucumber
> 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
> 2 cups plain, whole-milk yogurt
> 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
> 2 tablespoons fresh coriander or mint leaves, chopped
> cayenne or paprika to garnish
>
> Peel cucumber. Cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips, then into thin slices
> crosswise. Blot off moisture with paper towels. Toast cumin seeds for a few
> seconds in a small, heavy frying pan over high heat. In a bowl, stir yogurt
> until it is smooth. Mix it with the cumin, garlic and coriander or mint
> leaves. Combine mixture with cucumber slivers, sprinkle with cayenne or
> paprika, and chill before serving.
>
> Serves 4 to 6
>
> The Indian Grocery Store Demystified
>
> Linda Bladholm
>
> Renaissance Books

That sounds nice & furrin, can't wait to make it. We like cumin around here.
I make a similar dip-type stuff for my mum - she likes it a little firmer, so I

dissolve gelatin in water, stir into mix, let chill. This produces a
mousse-like
texture instead of creamy texture. I use 2 cukes for about the same volume
of yogurt (or sour cream or cream cheese or all three) so maybe that
contributed to my drippy problem. But this is nice too.
Edrena

Mum's Cucumber Dip
2 medium cucumbers
2 cups plain, whole-milk yogurt (or sour cream or
cream cheese or all 3)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoons fresh dill (or dried if you must)
1 envelope plain gelatin
1/4 c. boiling water
Sprinkle gelatin over boiling water, stir. Chop cucumber, put in
blender a little at a time, add garlic, blend to pieces. Spoon in
dairy product(s) a little at a time, blend more. Add dill, blend
again. Stir in dissolved gelatin. Chill till set-couple hours.

Dinesh Mahtani \(Dino\)

Hi everyone,

Thanks once again for some great ideas and links! Really appreciate them.

Have a good one,

Dinesh

Yogurt Dora General Cooking 1 14-10-2010 02:23 AM
Yogurt as yogurt starter Jonathan Sachs General Cooking 22 04-11-2007 07:17 PM
One-dish chicken/stuffing dish? cybercat General Cooking 18 02-12-2006 07:21 PM
Update one-dish chicken and stuffing dish cybercat General Cooking 0 01-12-2006 11:33 PM
Yogurt Making troubleshooting - OK to use "bad" batch of yogurt? [email protected] General Cooking 2 21-09-2006 04:19 AM