FoodBanter.com

-   -   Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/175009-shortening-versus-butter-homemade.html)

Damaeus[_2_] 26-07-2009 11:26 PM

Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

I accidentally posted this first to rec.food-cooking....here's a post for
this group:

I like biscuits now and then, and I got the itch to have some a while back
when I was watching the Food Network and saw Tyler Florence's version. He
shocked me when he said to use vegetable shortening, his reason being that
he found that butter tends to burn, while shortening doesn't.

Well, here's the recipe, first of all:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...pe2/index.html

Okay, I tried the recipe. I have to say they were not unedible, but
nowhere near the quality of biscuits I had made using butter instead of
shortening. These biscuits came out reminding me of store-bought, canned
biscuits. I blame the shortening, because all shortening is, is
hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils. I was skeptical of them for
that reason alone.

That said, I had normally made biscuits with plain whole milk, not
buttermilk. We normally don't keep buttermilk in the house, but my
roommate had a craving for fried chicken with buttermilk batter, so since
we had some left, I made buttermilk biscuits, then buttermilk pancakes a
few days later. The biscuits did rise nicely, however. But they turned
out with a very yellow color inside, which surprised me greatly. They
were quite white going in, but you'd think I'd laced them with turmeric,
they came out so yellow. (I used unbleached flour.)

As for the doneness, there was an even, brown crust all the way around it,
that was almost cookie-like in texture, about a millimeter thick. I
layered it as he suggested on TV, and as a result, they simply pulled
apart like a biscuit-bun, no need for a knife to cut it in half.

Once I get some more flour, I'm going to try buttermilk biscuits again
before it expires, using butter instead of shortening to compare.

What is your experience with using butter versus shortening? So far, I'm
not impressed with shortening, but I may have to blame the buttermilk if
using butter in the next go-around results in the same type of experience.

Damaeus

Bobo Bonobo® 27-07-2009 12:08 AM

On Jul 26, 5:26*pm, Damaeus > wrote:
> I accidentally posted this first to rec.food-cooking....here's a post for
> this group:
>
> I like biscuits now and then, and I got the itch to have some a while back
> when I was watching the Food Network and saw Tyler Florence's version. *He
> shocked me when he said to use vegetable shortening, his reason being that
> he found that butter tends to burn, while shortening doesn't.

Anyone who uses hydrogenated shortening in 2009 has either been
(metaphorically) living in a cave, or they are a freaking idiot, or
possibly they are evil. If what you say is accurate, Tyler Florence
deserves to be kicked in the groin repeatedly.

> Damaeus

--Bryan

Damaeus[_2_] 27-07-2009 12:19 AM

Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Bobo Bonobo+AK4- > posted:

> On Jul 26, 5:26+AKA-pm, Damaeus > wrote:
>
> > I accidentally posted this first to rec.food-cooking....here's a post for
> > this group:
> >
> > I like biscuits now and then, and I got the itch to have some a while
> > back when I was watching the Food Network and saw Tyler Florence's
> > version. +AKA-He shocked me when he said to use vegetable shortening, his
> > reason being that he found that butter tends to burn, while shortening
> > doesn't.

> Anyone who uses hydrogenated shortening in 2009 has either been
> (metaphorically) living in a cave, or they are a freaking idiot, or
> possibly they are evil. If what you say is accurate, Tyler Florence
> deserves to be kicked in the groin repeatedly.

Maybe they like to sabotage their own recipes for television, so they can
keep one little secret and make better food for themselves and friends,
who then wonder why they can't get their own to come out as perfectly: "I
use butter in my own, not the shortening I use on television."

It's like caviar. I dunno... the whole idea of eating caviar is as
disgusting as eating something like haggis. I have long suspected that
maybe caviar is like a running joke with the affluent and wealthy. Perhaps
they don't eat caviar, themselves, but they serve it to all their poor
friends who come around and think they're living the high life by eating
fish roe. Then they sit back and laugh as these poor people think they're
living the high life by eating something that's nasty, but won't kill
them.

I remember seeing some episode of a television show with Donald Trump on
it, serving caviar that sold for $10,000 per jar. I don't recall seeing
Donald, himself, eating any of it. I don't base my whole suspicion on
what Donald did at his own party, especially since, of course, not
everything that happens at a party ends up on television. But really, who
knows? I suppose if one has enough money to play a huge practical joke
like that, and you can afford to spend $500,000 on 50 jars of caviar for a
party, it might be worth that for a big belly laugh after it's all over,
just imagining all those poor people making only $500,000 a year eating
something raked out of the reproductive system of a fish.

Damaeus

brooklyn1 27-07-2009 12:47 AM

Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

In baking butter is shortening, all fats are shortening. If you want to use
butter as shortening in your biscuits go right ahead, but I think plain
hydrogenated shortening makes a better cleaner tasting biscuit without
adding any flavor of it's own... when I spread good fresh butter on biscuits
I don't want that fresh buttery flavor contaminated by previously baked
butter that's been overly oxidized by being exposed to high oven
temperatures. There are very few breads, if any, that benefit from using
butter as a shortening... even in butter topped breads the butter is
drizzled on after baking... typical bread baking temperatrures will burn
butter. Butter works as a shortening in pastry and sweet doughs but not in
breads

Arri London 27-07-2009 01:08 AM

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:47:11 GMT, "brooklyn1"
> > wrote:
>
> >Butter works as a shortening in pastry and sweet doughs but not in
> >breads

> Broche has a lot of butter, and it is what gives it much of it's
> character. I think that is a bread.. ;)
>
> Christine

Plus people made bread with butter or lard long before solid veg
shortenings were invented. They work perfectly for breads as well as
sweetened doughs.

We never have veg shortening in the house. The Maternal Unit likes the
cheap tube biscuits which contain shortening plus too much baking
powder. They have an aftertaste which isn't pleasant.

Damaeus...your overly yellow biscuits may have had too much baking
powder in them. That often will turn a dough yellowish.

Don Martinich 27-07-2009 01:28 AM

Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> What is your experience with using butter versus shortening? So far, I'm
> not impressed with shortening, but I may have to blame the buttermilk if
> using butter in the next go-around results in the same type of experience.
>
> Damaeus

Like most Americans my age, I grew up eating shortening biscuits. Crisco
to be exact. Even my grandmother, who still used a wood stove, used
Crisco. She started off using lard of course and changed to Crisco in
the 20's or 30's. I think she also used canned milk (??) I prefer these
to butter biscuits. I often put butter on biscuits and that would be
over the top, butterwise. Since I've enjoyed pie crust with lard, I
would like to try it with biscuits.

D.M.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 27-07-2009 01:29 AM

Damaeus wrote:
> I accidentally posted this first to rec.food-cooking....here's a post for
> this group:
>
> I like biscuits now and then, and I got the itch to have some a while back
> when I was watching the Food Network and saw Tyler Florence's version. He
> shocked me when he said to use vegetable shortening, his reason being that
> he found that butter tends to burn, while shortening doesn't.
>
> Well, here's the recipe, first of all:
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...pe2/index.html
>
> Okay, I tried the recipe. I have to say they were not unedible, but
> nowhere near the quality of biscuits I had made using butter instead of
> shortening. These biscuits came out reminding me of store-bought, canned
> biscuits. I blame the shortening, because all shortening is, is
> hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils. I was skeptical of them for
> that reason alone.
>
> That said, I had normally made biscuits with plain whole milk, not
> buttermilk. We normally don't keep buttermilk in the house, but my
> roommate had a craving for fried chicken with buttermilk batter, so since
> we had some left, I made buttermilk biscuits, then buttermilk pancakes a
> few days later. The biscuits did rise nicely, however. But they turned
> out with a very yellow color inside, which surprised me greatly. They
> were quite white going in, but you'd think I'd laced them with turmeric,
> they came out so yellow. (I used unbleached flour.)
>
> As for the doneness, there was an even, brown crust all the way around it,
> that was almost cookie-like in texture, about a millimeter thick. I
> layered it as he suggested on TV, and as a result, they simply pulled
> apart like a biscuit-bun, no need for a knife to cut it in half.
>
> Once I get some more flour, I'm going to try buttermilk biscuits again
> before it expires, using butter instead of shortening to compare.
>
> What is your experience with using butter versus shortening? So far, I'm
> not impressed with shortening, but I may have to blame the buttermilk if
> using butter in the next go-around results in the same type of experience.
>
> Damaeus

I use butter. Unsalted butter. I freeze it then grate it over the
largest holes of a box grater. This allows it to incorporate better.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Bobo Bonobo® 27-07-2009 01:51 AM

On Jul 26, 7:08*pm, Arri London > wrote:
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:47:11 GMT, "brooklyn1"
> > > wrote:

> > >Butter works as a shortening in pastry and sweet doughs but not in
> > >breads

> > Broche has a lot of butter, and it is what gives it much of it's
> > character. * I think that is a bread.. *;)

> > Christine

> Plus people made bread with butter or lard long before solid veg
> shortenings were invented. They work perfectly for breads as well as
> sweetened doughs.
>
> We never have veg shortening in the house.

As it should be.

> The Maternal Unit likes the
> cheap tube biscuits which contain shortening plus too much baking
> powder. They have an aftertaste which isn't pleasant.

Is the mother aware of the unhealthiness of the tube biscuits? If so,
well, maybe she is old, and the tradeoff with atheroscelerosis is OK
to her. There are some neighbor children whose grandmother is dying
of lung cancer. My son is not allowed in their house because she
smokes in there. She continues to smoke. She already has terminal
cancer, so let her smoke. I do have a concern that her grandkids get
second hand smoke. It came out today that they haven't been getting
fed anywhere near often enough, so I backed away from my rule of
generally not feeding the neighborhood kids, and invited them to
dinner. It's not their fault that their mother can't take care of
them, and their grandmother now cannot either.
I served Q'd pork steaks, and corn, cut off the cob, and cooked with
just a little chopped tomato and one chopped jalapeno per six ears of
corn. If we have to informally take over the job of occasionally--or
maybe pretty often--giving them a meal, then I'm OK with that. My
wife fed them bowls of cereal this morning too. They aren't stray
dogs, they're children, and nice children at that. I wish that I had
allowed my son to experience a bit more hunger, but not what they're
going through. This is a case where charitibleness should trump my
priniciple of not becoming the soup kitchen for poorer neighbors'
kids, when the parents make choices to spend their money for things
other than feeding their kids. This family really is in crisis, and
the grandmother who is a very sweet but proud old woman, just can't
step up to the challenge.

> Damaeus...your overly yellow biscuits may have had too much baking
> powder in them. That often will turn a dough yellowish.

But too much baking powder would screw up texture even more. I think
that it's mostly the butter, but hey, yellow is good. To quote Homer
Simpson, "Mmmm. Rich, creamery butter."

--Bryan

Damaeus[_2_] 27-07-2009 01:52 AM

Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Janet Wilder > posted:

> Damaeus wrote:
>
> > What is your experience with using butter versus shortening? So far, I'm
> > not impressed with shortening, but I may have to blame the buttermilk if
> > using butter in the next go-around results in the same type of experience.

> I use butter. Unsalted butter. I freeze it then grate it over the
> largest holes of a box grater. This allows it to incorporate better.

When I used the Crisco shortening version, I put all the dry ingredients
in with the shortening into a stand mixer with the mixing paddle and
let'er rip until the shortening could no longer be distinguished from the
flour. Then I added the buttermilk and let it go around and around a few
more times until it was holding its form enough that I could work it with
my hands without having a big mess.

Damaeus

Serene Vannoy 27-07-2009 02:31 AM

Damaeus wrote:

> It's like caviar. I dunno... the whole idea of eating caviar is as
> disgusting as eating something like haggis. I have long suspected that
> maybe caviar is like a running joke with the affluent and wealthy. Perhaps
> they don't eat caviar, themselves, but they serve it to all their poor
> friends who come around and think they're living the high life by eating
> fish roe. Then they sit back and laugh as these poor people think they're
> living the high life by eating something that's nasty, but won't kill
> them.

Eh. I've never made more than $25,000 a year, and I love caviar.

Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Damaeus[_2_] 27-07-2009 02:49 AM

Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Serene Vannoy > posted:

> Damaeus wrote:
>
> > It's like caviar. I dunno... the whole idea of eating caviar is as
> > disgusting as eating something like haggis. I have long suspected that
> > maybe caviar is like a running joke with the affluent and wealthy. Perhaps
> > they don't eat caviar, themselves, but they serve it to all their poor
> > friends who come around and think they're living the high life by eating
> > fish roe. Then they sit back and laugh as these poor people think they're
> > living the high life by eating something that's nasty, but won't kill
> > them.

> Eh. I've never made more than $25,000 a year, and I love caviar.

I'm not curious enough to put it in my mouth, especially since it looks
just like some stuff I saw at a fishing tackle supply shop on the bottom
shelf. Wouldn't it be interesting to discover that caviar is the same
stuff sold to put in your tackle box? They just call the fishing tackle
"caviar" and mark the price up 500,000%.

Damaeus

Serene Vannoy 27-07-2009 02:55 AM

Damaeus wrote:
> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> Serene Vannoy > posted:
>
>> Damaeus wrote:
>>
>>> It's like caviar. I dunno... the whole idea of eating caviar is as
>>> disgusting as eating something like haggis. I have long suspected that
>>> maybe caviar is like a running joke with the affluent and wealthy. Perhaps
>>> they don't eat caviar, themselves, but they serve it to all their poor
>>> friends who come around and think they're living the high life by eating
>>> fish roe. Then they sit back and laugh as these poor people think they're
>>> living the high life by eating something that's nasty, but won't kill
>>> them.

>> Eh. I've never made more than $25,000 a year, and I love caviar.

> I'm not curious enough to put it in my mouth, especially since it looks
> just like some stuff I saw at a fishing tackle supply shop on the bottom
> shelf. Wouldn't it be interesting to discover that caviar is the same
> stuff sold to put in your tackle box? They just call the fishing tackle
> "caviar" and mark the price up 500,000%.

Whatever. There are lots of foods I don't like the looks of, but I don't
feel a need to behave as though those who do like them are eating crap.
If you haven't even tasted it, perhaps you're not the best judge of
how good it is.

Serene

Paul M. Cook 27-07-2009 04:24 AM

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
>I accidentally posted this first to rec.food-cooking....here's a post for
> this group:
>
> I like biscuits now and then, and I got the itch to have some a while back
> when I was watching the Food Network and saw Tyler Florence's version. He
> shocked me when he said to use vegetable shortening, his reason being that
> he found that butter tends to burn, while shortening doesn't.
>
> Well, here's the recipe, first of all:
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...pe2/index.html
>
> Okay, I tried the recipe. I have to say they were not unedible, but
> nowhere near the quality of biscuits I had made using butter instead of
> shortening. These biscuits came out reminding me of store-bought, canned
> biscuits. I blame the shortening, because all shortening is, is
> hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils. I was skeptical of them for
> that reason alone.
>
> That said, I had normally made biscuits with plain whole milk, not
> buttermilk. We normally don't keep buttermilk in the house, but my
> roommate had a craving for fried chicken with buttermilk batter, so since
> we had some left, I made buttermilk biscuits, then buttermilk pancakes a
> few days later. The biscuits did rise nicely, however. But they turned
> out with a very yellow color inside, which surprised me greatly. They
> were quite white going in, but you'd think I'd laced them with turmeric,
> they came out so yellow. (I used unbleached flour.)
>
> As for the doneness, there was an even, brown crust all the way around it,
> that was almost cookie-like in texture, about a millimeter thick. I
> layered it as he suggested on TV, and as a result, they simply pulled
> apart like a biscuit-bun, no need for a knife to cut it in half.
>
> Once I get some more flour, I'm going to try buttermilk biscuits again
> before it expires, using butter instead of shortening to compare.
>
> What is your experience with using butter versus shortening? So far, I'm
> not impressed with shortening, but I may have to blame the buttermilk if
> using butter in the next go-around results in the same type of experience.

I've never found butter to work well in biscuits. You get a crispy rather
than soft biscuit. I don't like the heavy taste anyway as I put butter on
the biscuits. I have always used lard or vegetable shortening. Lard makes
the best biscuits IMO.

Paul

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 27-07-2009 04:52 AM

Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

On Sun 26 Jul 2009 08:24:53p, Paul M. Cook told us...

> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
>>I accidentally posted this first to rec.food-cooking....here's a post
>>for
>> this group:
>>
>> I like biscuits now and then, and I got the itch to have some a while
>> back when I was watching the Food Network and saw Tyler Florence's
>> version. He shocked me when he said to use vegetable shortening, his
>> reason being that he found that butter tends to burn, while shortening
>> doesn't.
>>
>> Well, here's the recipe, first of all:
>>
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...lk-biscuits-re
>> cipe2/index.html
>>
>> Okay, I tried the recipe. I have to say they were not unedible, but
>> nowhere near the quality of biscuits I had made using butter instead of
>> shortening. These biscuits came out reminding me of store-bought,
>> canned biscuits. I blame the shortening, because all shortening is, is
>> hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils. I was skeptical of them
>> for that reason alone.
>>
>> That said, I had normally made biscuits with plain whole milk, not
>> buttermilk. We normally don't keep buttermilk in the house, but my
>> roommate had a craving for fried chicken with buttermilk batter, so
>> since we had some left, I made buttermilk biscuits, then buttermilk
>> pancakes a few days later. The biscuits did rise nicely, however. But
>> they turned out with a very yellow color inside, which surprised me
>> greatly. They were quite white going in, but you'd think I'd laced
>> them with turmeric, they came out so yellow. (I used unbleached
>> flour.)
>>
>> As for the doneness, there was an even, brown crust all the way around
>> it, that was almost cookie-like in texture, about a millimeter thick.
>> I layered it as he suggested on TV, and as a result, they simply pulled
>> apart like a biscuit-bun, no need for a knife to cut it in half.
>>
>> Once I get some more flour, I'm going to try buttermilk biscuits again
>> before it expires, using butter instead of shortening to compare.
>>
>> What is your experience with using butter versus shortening? So far,
>> I'm not impressed with shortening, but I may have to blame the
>> buttermilk if using butter in the next go-around results in the same
>> type of experience.
>>

> I've never found butter to work well in biscuits. You get a crispy
> rather than soft biscuit. I don't like the heavy taste anyway as I put
> butter on the biscuits. I have always used lard or vegetable
> shortening. Lard makes the best biscuits IMO.
>
> Paul

Lard + buttermilk + soft wheat flour (like White Lily) make the lightest
and best biscuits.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Condensed milk is wonderful. I don't see how they can get a cow to

Miche[_3_] 27-07-2009 05:07 AM

Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Damaeus wrote:
> > Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> > Serene Vannoy > posted:

> >> Eh. I've never made more than $25,000 a year, and I love caviar.

> > I'm not curious enough to put it in my mouth, especially since it looks
> > just like some stuff I saw at a fishing tackle supply shop on the bottom
> > shelf. Wouldn't it be interesting to discover that caviar is the same
> > stuff sold to put in your tackle box? They just call the fishing tackle
> > "caviar" and mark the price up 500,000%.

> Whatever. There are lots of foods I don't like the looks of, but I don't
> feel a need to behave as though those who do like them are eating crap.
> If you haven't even tasted it, perhaps you're not the best judge of
> how good it is.

Ditto haggis. Still, I suppose that's more for me.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

dsi1[_9_] 27-07-2009 08:13 AM

Damaeus wrote:

> What is your experience with using butter versus shortening? So far, I'm
> not impressed with shortening, but I may have to blame the buttermilk if
> using butter in the next go-around results in the same type of experience.

I was not aware that folks made biscuits with butter. You could try but
it would be important to not let the the butter melt when mixing with
the flour. This pretty much means that you'll have to keep everything
cool if can't keep the room below the melting point of butter. It's a
novel idea though - I guess it's the way kids do things these days. :-)

Bobo Bonobo® 27-07-2009 12:41 PM

On Jul 27, 2:13*am, dsi1 > wrote:
> Damaeus wrote:
> > What is your experience with using butter versus shortening? *So far, I'm
> > not impressed with shortening, but I may have to blame the buttermilk if
> > using butter in the next go-around results in the same type of experience.

> I was not aware that folks made biscuits with butter. You could try but
> it would be important to not let the the butter melt when mixing with
> the flour. This pretty much means that you'll have to keep everything
> cool if can't keep the room below the melting point of butter. It's a
> novel idea though - I guess it's the way kids do things these days. :-)

We quit putting lead in paint too. Go figure.

> > Damaeus

--Bryan

Nancy2 27-07-2009 05:06 PM

Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

back
> when I was watching the Food Network and saw Tyler Florence's version. *He
> shocked me when he said to use vegetable shortening, his reason being that
> he found that butter tends to burn, while shortening doesn't.

I'd be interested in knowing how butter in a biscuit would "burn."
This statement by Tyler is kooky.

I always use butter and buttermilk - I use a recipe from Cuisine at
Home, and the biscuits are fantastic. If I were going to use
something instead of butter, it would be lard.

Vegetable shortening isn't any better for you than butter, and is
probably worse.

N.

George Shirley 27-07-2009 05:18 PM

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:55:36 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> > wrote:
>

>> Whatever. There are lots of foods I don't like the looks of, but I don't
>> feel a need to behave as though those who do like them are eating crap.
>> If you haven't even tasted it, perhaps you're not the best judge of
>> how good it is.
>>
>> Serene

> Ditto to what Serene said.
> Don't knock it til you have tried it. Then come back to report.
>
> Christine

I don't remember my Mom or Grandmother ever making biscuits with butter,
mostly with lard up until the early fifties and then with Crisco
shortening after that. Tasted pretty good to me.

DW makes biscuits with shortening too.

Lin 27-07-2009 05:42 PM

Christine Dabney wrote:

> I have made a brioche dough before...for encasing a sausage. A very
> rich dough to begin with, then the butter is added. A LOT of
> butter...for the amount of dough. And it all works.

Yummmm. Brioche. It will always hold a place in my heart, for it was
Bob's first step in his courtship of me.

--Lin (come to think of it -- he hasn't done brioche since -- we may
need to rectify that this Fall)

blake murphy[_2_] 27-07-2009 05:59 PM

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 04:41:50 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2:13*am, dsi1 > wrote:
>> Damaeus wrote:
>>> What is your experience with using butter versus shortening? *So far, I'm
>>> not impressed with shortening, but I may have to blame the buttermilk if
>>> using butter in the next go-around results in the same type of experience.

>> I was not aware that folks made biscuits with butter. You could try but
>> it would be important to not let the the butter melt when mixing with
>> the flour. This pretty much means that you'll have to keep everything
>> cool if can't keep the room below the melting point of butter. It's a
>> novel idea though - I guess it's the way kids do things these days. :-)

> We quit putting lead in paint too. Go figure.

too late in your case.

blake

George Shirley 27-07-2009 06:16 PM

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:18:42 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>

>> I don't remember my Mom or Grandmother ever making biscuits with butter,
>> mostly with lard up until the early fifties and then with Crisco
>> shortening after that. Tasted pretty good to me.
>>
>> DW makes biscuits with shortening too.

> We were talking about caviar. Thread drift, ya know.. LOL
>
> Christine

That's probably why I didn't notice, don't like fish eggs, salted or
not. <G>

dsi1[_9_] 27-07-2009 06:27 PM

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2:13 am, dsi1 > wrote:
>> Damaeus wrote:
>>> What is your experience with using butter versus shortening? So far, I'm
>>> not impressed with shortening, but I may have to blame the buttermilk if
>>> using butter in the next go-around results in the same type of experience.

>> I was not aware that folks made biscuits with butter. You could try but
>> it would be important to not let the the butter melt when mixing with
>> the flour. This pretty much means that you'll have to keep everything
>> cool if can't keep the room below the melting point of butter. It's a
>> novel idea though - I guess it's the way kids do things these days. :-)

> We quit putting lead in paint too. Go figure.

Lead in paint is dangerous. Shortening in biscuits is not, even though
you believe it to be. Go figure. :-)

>>> Damaeus

Becca 27-07-2009 06:35 PM

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 26 Jul 2009 08:24:53p, Paul M. Cook told us...
>
>> I've never found butter to work well in biscuits. You get a crispy
>> rather than soft biscuit. I don't like the heavy taste anyway as I put
>> butter on the biscuits. I have always used lard or vegetable
>> shortening. Lard makes the best biscuits IMO.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Lard + buttermilk + soft wheat flour (like White Lily) make the lightest
> and best biscuits.

Sounds like you are a southern cook, Wayne.

Becca

[email protected] 27-07-2009 06:47 PM

On Jul 26, 6:26�pm, Damaeus > wrote:
> I accidentally posted this first to rec.food-cooking....here's a post for
> this group:
>
> I like biscuits now and then, and I got the itch to have some a while back
> when I was watching the Food Network and saw Tyler Florence's version. �He
> shocked me when he said to use vegetable shortening, his reason being that
> he found that butter tends to burn, while shortening doesn't.
>
> Well, here's the recipe, first of all:
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...rmilk-biscuits...
>
> Okay, I tried the recipe. �I have to say they were not unedible, but
> nowhere near the quality of biscuits I had made using butter instead of
> shortening. �These biscuits came out reminding me of store-bought, canned
> biscuits. �I blame the shortening, because all shortening is, is
> hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils. �I was skeptical of them for
> that reason alone.
>
> That said, I had normally made biscuits with plain whole milk, not
> buttermilk. �We normally don't keep buttermilk in the house, but my
> roommate had a craving for fried chicken with buttermilk batter, so since
> we had some left, I made buttermilk biscuits, then buttermilk pancakes a
> few days later. �The biscuits did rise nicely, however. �But they turned
> out with a very yellow color inside, which surprised me greatly. �They
> were quite white going in, but you'd think I'd laced them with turmeric,
> they came out so yellow. �(I used unbleached flour.)
>
> As for the doneness, there was an even, brown crust all the way around it,
> that was almost cookie-like in texture, about a millimeter thick. �I
> layered it as he suggested on TV, and as a result, they simply pulled
> apart like a biscuit-bun, no need for a knife to cut it in half.
>
> Once I get some more flour, I'm going to try buttermilk biscuits again
> before it expires, using butter instead of shortening to compare.
>
> What is your experience with using butter versus shortening? �So far, I'm
> not impressed with shortening, but I may have to blame the buttermilk if
> using butter in the next go-around results in the same type of experience..
>
> Damaeus

My grandmother made the best biscuits. She never measured anything.
She just threw everything together and they always came out
wonderful. I can't give exact proportions but I do know she used
White Lily flour, baking powder, salt, lard, and real homemade
buttermilk. She would melt a little bit of lard in the baking pan and
she would turn and coat both sides of the biscuits before placing them
into the oven.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 27-07-2009 07:32 PM

Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

On Mon 27 Jul 2009 10:35:53a, Becca told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sun 26 Jul 2009 08:24:53p, Paul M. Cook told us...
>>
>>> I've never found butter to work well in biscuits. You get a crispy
>>> rather than soft biscuit. I don't like the heavy taste anyway as I put
>>> butter on the biscuits. I have always used lard or vegetable
>>> shortening. Lard makes the best biscuits IMO.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> Lard + buttermilk + soft wheat flour (like White Lily) make the lightest
>> and best biscuits.

> Sounds like you are a southern cook, Wayne.
>

> Becca

My family is from NE Mississippi.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond;

George Shirley 27-07-2009 09:33 PM

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 27 Jul 2009 10:35:53a, Becca told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sun 26 Jul 2009 08:24:53p, Paul M. Cook told us...

>>> Lard + buttermilk + soft wheat flour (like White Lily) make the lightest
>>> and best biscuits.

>> Sounds like you are a southern cook, Wayne.
>>

>> Becca
>>

> My family is from NE Mississippi.

Damned Yankee!

Becca 27-07-2009 10:14 PM

George Shirley wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Sounds like you are a southern cook, Wayne.
>>>

>>> Becca
>>>

>> My family is from NE Mississippi.
>>

> Damned Yankee!

Thanks for the giggle, George. Those Mississippi folks are good cooks.

Becca

George Shirley 27-07-2009 10:24 PM

Becca wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Mon 27 Jul 2009 10:35:53a, Becca told us...

>>> My family is from NE Mississippi.
>>>

>> Damned Yankee!

> Thanks for the giggle, George. Those Mississippi folks are good cooks.
>

> Becca

Yeah, but NORTHERN Mississippi! I had ancestors around Natchez but
that's farther south than Wayne's people.

Bobo Bonobo® 27-07-2009 11:44 PM

On Jul 27, 12:27*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> >> I was not aware that folks made biscuits with butter. You could try but
> >> it would be important to not let the the butter melt when mixing with
> >> the flour. This pretty much means that you'll have to keep everything
> >> cool if can't keep the room below the melting point of butter. It's a
> >> novel idea though - I guess it's the way kids do things these days. :-)

> > We quit putting lead in paint too. *Go figure.

> Lead in paint is dangerous. Shortening in biscuits is not, even though
> you believe it to be. Go figure. :-)

I believe what the science says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat#cite_note-14

What do you base YOUR beliefs upon?

> > --Bryan

--Bryan

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 27-07-2009 11:56 PM

Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

On Mon 27 Jul 2009 01:33:06p, George Shirley told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Sounds like you are a southern cook, Wayne.
>>>

>>> Becca
>>>

>> My family is from NE Mississippi.
>>

> Damned Yankee!

LOL!

--
Wayne Boatwright
I eat merely to put food out of my mind. N.F. Simpson

John Kuthe[_2_] 27-07-2009 11:57 PM

On Jul 27, 5:44*pm, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> On Jul 27, 12:27*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>

> > Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> > > We quit putting lead in paint too. *Go figure.

> > Lead in paint is dangerous. Shortening in biscuits is not, even though
> > you believe it to be. Go figure. :-)

> I believe what the science says:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat#cite_note-14
>
> What do you base YOUR beliefs upon?

Science is cool!

My 2nd grade girlfriend became a scientist, a PHd in biochemistry! On
her webpage she has a comment about when all other experiments fail,
boil water: works every time!

She has a great sense of humor! Cute too!

John Kuthe...

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 27-07-2009 11:57 PM

Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

On Mon 27 Jul 2009 02:14:43p, Becca told us...

> George Shirley wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Mon 27 Jul 2009 10:35:53a, Becca told us...

>>> My family is from NE Mississippi.
>>>

>> Damned Yankee!

> Thanks for the giggle, George. Those Mississippi folks are good cooks.
>

> Becca

Thanks, Becca.

--
Wayne Boatwright
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and

Arri London 28-07-2009 12:03 AM

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> On Jul 26, 7:08 pm, Arri London > wrote:
> > Christine Dabney wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:47:11 GMT, "brooklyn1"

> > > Broche has a lot of butter, and it is what gives it much of it's
> > > character. I think that is a bread.. ;)

> > > Christine

> > Plus people made bread with butter or lard long before solid veg
> > shortenings were invented. They work perfectly for breads as well as
> > sweetened doughs.
> >
> > We never have veg shortening in the house.

> As it should be.
>
> > The Maternal Unit likes the
> > cheap tube biscuits which contain shortening plus too much baking
> > powder. They have an aftertaste which isn't pleasant.

> Is the mother aware of the unhealthiness of the tube biscuits? If so,
> well, maybe she is old, and the tradeoff with atheroscelerosis is OK
> to her.

She knows. Not something she eats often though. Would rather she ate
those than nothing at all.

>There are some neighbor children whose grandmother is dying
> of lung cancer. My son is not allowed in their house because she
> smokes in there. She continues to smoke. She already has terminal
> cancer, so let her smoke. I do have a concern that her grandkids get
> second hand smoke. It came out today that they haven't been getting
> fed anywhere near often enough, so I backed away from my rule of
> generally not feeding the neighborhood kids, and invited them to
> dinner. It's not their fault that their mother can't take care of
> them, and their grandmother now cannot either.

That's very good of you.

> I served Q'd pork steaks, and corn, cut off the cob, and cooked with
> just a little chopped tomato and one chopped jalapeno per six ears of
> corn. If we have to informally take over the job of occasionally--or
> maybe pretty often--giving them a meal, then I'm OK with that. My
> wife fed them bowls of cereal this morning too. They aren't stray
> dogs, they're children, and nice children at that. I wish that I had
> allowed my son to experience a bit more hunger, but not what they're
> going through. This is a case where charitibleness should trump my
> priniciple of not becoming the soup kitchen for poorer neighbors'
> kids, when the parents make choices to spend their money for things
> other than feeding their kids. This family really is in crisis, and
> the grandmother who is a very sweet but proud old woman, just can't
> step up to the challenge.

Exactly! Would love to take over the kids from across the street. They
are also not being brought up very well, both parents being drug users.
Yet Social Services knows about the family situtation (they are
receiving welfare of some sort or another) so perhaps they are keeping
track of things.

> > Damaeus...your overly yellow biscuits may have had too much baking
> > powder in them. That often will turn a dough yellowish.

> But too much baking powder would screw up texture even more. I think
> that it's mostly the butter, but hey, yellow is good. To quote Homer
> Simpson, "Mmmm. Rich, creamery butter."
>
> --Bryan

Could be. Although the butter we buy isn't really very yellow.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 28-07-2009 12:04 AM

Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

On Mon 27 Jul 2009 02:24:02p, George Shirley told us...

> Becca wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> Damned Yankee!

>> Thanks for the giggle, George. Those Mississippi folks are good cooks.
>>

>> Becca

> Yeah, but NORTHERN Mississippi! I had ancestors around Natchez but
> that's farther south than Wayne's people.

Well, yes, Northern Mississippi, but both sides of the family were far from
any sizeable city. They lived near the very small country towns of
Nettleton and Shannon. Great country cooks.

--
Wayne Boatwright
What is patriotism but the love of the food one ate as a child?

Bobo Bonobo® 28-07-2009 12:08 AM

On Jul 27, 5:57*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jul 27, 5:44*pm, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> > > Lead in paint is dangerous. Shortening in biscuits is not, even though
> > > you believe it to be. Go figure. :-)

> > I believe what the science says:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat#cite_note-14

> > What do you base YOUR beliefs upon?

> Science is cool!
>
> My 2nd grade girlfriend became a scientist, a PHd in biochemistry! On
> her webpage she has a comment about when all other experiments fail,
> boil water: works every time!
>
> She has a great sense of humor! Cute too!
>
> John Kuthe...

Mmmmm. Girls.

> > --Bryan

--Bryan

Arri London 28-07-2009 12:20 AM

Damaeus wrote:

> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> Serene Vannoy > posted:
>
> > Damaeus wrote:
> >
> > > It's like caviar. I dunno... the whole idea of eating caviar is as
> > > disgusting as eating something like haggis. I have long suspected that
> > > maybe caviar is like a running joke with the affluent and wealthy. Perhaps
> > > they don't eat caviar, themselves, but they serve it to all their poor
> > > friends who come around and think they're living the high life by eating
> > > fish roe. Then they sit back and laugh as these poor people think they're
> > > living the high life by eating something that's nasty, but won't kill
> > > them.

> > Eh. I've never made more than $25,000 a year, and I love caviar.

> I'm not curious enough to put it in my mouth, especially since it looks
> just like some stuff I saw at a fishing tackle supply shop on the bottom
> shelf. Wouldn't it be interesting to discover that caviar is the same
> stuff sold to put in your tackle box? They just call the fishing tackle
> "caviar" and mark the price up 500,000%.
>
> Damaeus

Yes they are both fish eggs. However, if you'd ever seen them side by
side, the difference would be obvious. And those little pots of fish
eggs at the tackle shop are quite expensive too you know :)

I like caviar, not that I get the real thing very often. It's not the
least bit nasty.
Do you dislike bird eggs too? Basically the same thing, that can be
salted (love them) or pickled (love those too).

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 28-07-2009 12:32 AM

Bobo wrote:

>> Lead in paint is dangerous. Shortening in biscuits is not, even though
>> you believe it to be. Go figure. :-)

> I believe what the science says:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat#cite_note-14

Why do you continually cite the Wikipedia trans-fat article, when the
leading brand of shortening (Crisco) has not contained trans-fat for more
than two years?

There *are* sites which could bolster your argument, but the link you posted
is just irrelevant to this discussion.

Bob

dsi1[_7_] 28-07-2009 01:36 AM

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> On Jul 27, 12:27 pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>>> We quit putting lead in paint too. Go figure.

>> Lead in paint is dangerous. Shortening in biscuits is not, even though
>> you believe it to be. Go figure. :-)

> I believe what the science says:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat#cite_note-14
>
> What do you base YOUR beliefs upon?

Science is good, but the reality is that butter is not a good substitute
for shortening or lard in biscuits and pie crust. Your results won't be
the same. Your position is that shortening is bad stuff and you're
absolutely right but the truth is that butter and lard ain't good fer ya
either. Sorry to break that news to you. :-)

I used to make biscuits all the time - I'm an experienced biscuit maker.
That you think that butter is an acceptable substitute gives me an idea
of your expertise in this matter. That's OK, feel free to use whatever
greasy substance you want - it doesn't affect my life in the slightest.

I won't make biscuits anymore because it don't fit in with what I
consider healthy eating - not because it's the current food scare going
around these days.

Bobo Bonobo® 28-07-2009 01:03 PM

On Jul 27, 7:36*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> >> Lead in paint is dangerous. Shortening in biscuits is not, even though
> >> you believe it to be. Go figure. :-)

> > I believe what the science says:
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat#cite_note-14

> > What do you base YOUR beliefs upon?

> Science is good, but the reality is that butter is not a good substitute
> for shortening or lard in biscuits and pie crust. Your results won't be
> the same. Your position is that shortening is bad stuff and you're
> absolutely right but the truth is that butter and lard ain't good fer ya
> either. Sorry to break that news to you. :-)
>
> I used to make biscuits all the time - I'm an experienced biscuit maker.
> That you think that butter is an acceptable substitute gives me an idea
> of your expertise in this matter. That's OK, feel free to use whatever
> greasy substance you want - it doesn't affect my life in the slightest.

Non-hydrogenated lard is nowhere near as bad for health as
hydrogenated oil.
The dominant fat in lard is monounsaturated.

> I won't make biscuits anymore because it don't fit in with what I
> consider healthy eating - not because it's the current food scare going
> around these days.

> > --Bryan

--Bryan