Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

blake murphy wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 01:25:26 -0500, Damaeus wrote:
>
>> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
>> Mark Thorson > posted:

>>> You are a fool. Get smart. Learn about the hucksters
>>> who have fooled you.

>> **** you. You've been huckstered by those who call others
>> hucksters. I don't believe everything I hear or read. But some of
>> the stuff he said made a lot of sense. I went with that, as oppose
>> to what the government and pharmaceutical industries say, which seem
>> to have a lot of other motives behind them than making the lives of
>> its people better.
>>
>> Damaeus

> mark is a crackpot in his own way, but giving any credence at all to
> 'lamarckian genetics' makes you a fool:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarckism>

Gawd!!! L. Ron Hubbard or Stalin's geneticists would be right proud...

Are you sure this theory isn't actually termed, "Malarkian Genetics"...???

<chuckle>

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Jean B. wrote:
> >
> > How does sorghum compare with the almost-ubiquitous corn syrup?

> Lighter than dark karo. Darker than light karo. Roughly the same
> darkness as Lyle's Golden but the darkness is not as consistant.
>
> I've used sorghum as a pancake syrup. Okay but I gre up with maple
> syrup so that's what I prefer.
>
> I've used sorghum in place of honey to make my own homebrew mead like
> stuff. Subtly different from honey but same general results.

When I was a kid, many homebrewers used corn sugar (dried out Karo) in
their beer. I don't know why. I believe I did it when I got a little
older. A can of malt with hop flavor, and a bag of corn sugar.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> How does sorghum compare with the almost-ubiquitous corn syrup?

> Lighter than dark karo. Darker than light karo. Roughly the same
> darkness as Lyle's Golden but the darkness is not as consistant.
>
> I've used sorghum as a pancake syrup. Okay but I gre up with maple
> syrup so that's what I prefer.
>
> I've used sorghum in place of honey to make my own homebrew mead like
> stuff. Subtly different from honey but same general results.

Thank you, Doug!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> I've used sorghum in place of honey to make my own homebrew mead like
>> stuff. Subtly different from honey but same general results.

> When I was a kid, many homebrewers used corn sugar (dried out Karo) in
> their beer. I don't know why. I believe I did it when I got a little
> older. A can of malt with hop flavor, and a bag of corn sugar.

That's still the cheaper of the two standard formulas for Mr Beer. With
Mr Beer it's easy to make kit beer that's better than most majors using
a can of hop flavor and a bag of corn sugar. With my Mr Beer I prefer
making a kit beer that's as nearly as good as most micros using a can of
hop flavor and a can of barley malt. About half of the batches I make
with my Mr Beer are kit beers/ales and half of the batches are mead like
stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:29:15 -0500, Damaeus wrote:

> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> blake murphy > posted:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 01:25:26 -0500, Damaeus wrote:
>>
>>> **** you. You've been huckstered by those who call others hucksters.
>>> I don't believe everything I hear or read. But some of the stuff he
>>> said made a lot of sense. I went with that, as oppose to what the
>>> government and pharmaceutical industries say, which seem to have a lot
>>> of other motives behind them than making the lives of its people
>>> better.

>> mark is a crackpot in his own way, but giving any credence at all to
>> 'lamarckian genetics' makes you a fool:
>>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarckism>
>>
>> blake

> No. I don't think Larmarckism has been disproved.

that's what makes you a fool.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:32:02 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> It may not be much of a difference in the cost per can or bottle, but
>>> with the soft drink industry selling millions of units, it adds up
>>> to a major savings. Soft drinks are water, a bit of flavouring and a
>>> hell of a lot of sugar or HFCS.

>> this is the advantage of committing micro-fraud on a mega scale. a
>> few cents (or even fractions of a cent) add up when you have millions
>> of them, and the defrauded individuals are unlikely to complain.
>>

> Uh, no, that's called "capitalism", blake...also "smart business
> practice"...

interesting that you would equate fraud with capitalism. i'm not so much
the leftist that you think i am that i think offering an honest product at
an honest price won't make you a profit without some kind of thievery.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
blake murphy > posted:

> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:29:15 -0500, Damaeus wrote:
>
> > Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> > blake murphy > posted:

> >> mark is a crackpot in his own way, but giving any credence at all to
> >> 'lamarckian genetics' makes you a fool:
> >>
> >> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarckism>
> >>
> >> blake

> > No. I don't think Larmarckism has been disproved.

> that's what makes you a fool.

It doesn't bother me to be a fool in the eyes of people who have
incomplete understanding.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> blake murphy > posted:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:29:15 -0500, Damaeus wrote:
> >
> > > Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> > > blake murphy > posted:

> > > No. I don't think Larmarckism has been disproved.

> > that's what makes you a fool.

> It doesn't bother me to be a fool in the eyes of people who have
> incomplete understanding.

Must be nice to have "perfect understanding". I did a Google on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbiyz-dutZw

(it's a silly song)

I also got something about OCD.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:32:02 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
> > blake murphy wrote:

> >> this is the advantage of committing micro-fraud on a mega scale. a
> >> few cents (or even fractions of a cent) add up when you have millions
> >> of them, and the defrauded individuals are unlikely to complain.
> >>

> > Uh, no, that's called "capitalism", blake...also "smart business
> > practice"...

> interesting that you would equate fraud with capitalism. i'm not so much
> the leftist that you think i am that i think offering an honest product at
> an honest price won't make you a profit without some kind of thievery.

I don't understand either one of you. Where's the fraud in substituting
a cheaper ingredient? Why on earth would that be called "capitalism"?
Wouldn't the goddamn Commies try to save money on production costs also?

By the way, stay tuned for a blind tasting between Classic Coke and
sugar cane coke. I will have a computer company owner, a professional
chef, a deadbeat and an unemployed person conduct a blind taste test,
supervised by a food chemist with seven years experience in conducting
organoleptic tests of food. It'll take a week or two to get them all
together.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:50:31 -0500, Damaeus wrote:

> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> blake murphy > posted:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:29:15 -0500, Damaeus wrote:
>>
>>> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
>>> blake murphy > posted:

>>> No. I don't think Larmarckism has been disproved.

>> that's what makes you a fool.

> It doesn't bother me to be a fool in the eyes of people who have
> incomplete understanding.
>
> Damaeus

well, then knock yourself out, honey.

blake