Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Newbe question regarding beef

On Jul 22, 7:17*pm, Nikhil Patel > wrote:
> I have bought a boneless Loin Sirloin steak but don't know what to do
> with it. I checked some of the recipes online but they are all using
> much smaller sirloin steaks. Mine is more than 1.75" thick and weighs
> a little more than 2lbs. Does that mean mine is actually not a sirloin
> steak? How do I cook this thing? Does any of you have any easy recipes.

If you have a charcoal grill, grill it. If you have a gas grill,
grill it. Not as good as wood/charcoal, but fine. If no outdoor
grill, then pan sear it or broil it. 1.75" is a good thickness for a
sirloin, assuming you like beef rare. Apply black pepper to the
surfaces, especially onto any fat, and go for it. If you like beef
well done, you bought the wrong thickness of sirloin.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:37:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo BonoboŽ
> wrote:

>Not interesting, but very nice if you like rare beef. A 1-3/4" thick
>sirloin is right up my alley. I'd put it on the grill over wood, or
>charcoal/wood.

Sirloin was my father's favorite piece of mean and he liked his rare.
He used to say "They're chewy, but they're full of flavor".

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
on Jul Thu 2009 pm

> "Bobo BonoboŽ" > wrote in message
> .
> .. On Jul 22, 7:17 pm, Nikhil Patel > wrote:
>> I have bought a boneless Loin Sirloin steak but don't know what to do
>> with it. I checked some of the recipes online but they are all using
>> much smaller sirloin steaks. Mine is more than 1.75" thick and weighs
>> a little more than 2lbs. Does that mean mine is actually not a
>> sirloin steak? How do I cook this thing? Does any of you have any
>> easy recipes.

> If you have a charcoal grill, grill it. If you have a gas grill,
> grill it. Not as good as wood/charcoal, but fine. If no outdoor
> grill, then pan sear it or broil it. 1.75" is a good thickness for a
> sirloin, assuming you like beef rare. Apply black pepper to the
> surfaces, especially onto any fat, and go for it. If you like beef
> well done, you bought the wrong thickness of sirloin.
>
> --Bryan
>

> I never have understood those chain restaurant commercials touting
> their "sirloin" steaks. It's a cheap cut of meat, usually tough even
> when they don't overcook it. It's best grilled no more than med-rare.
> Marinade is a good idea, too.
>
> Jill

Yes it isn't that tender, but has great taste in stews or braised....loads more flavourful than round
steak or stewing beef.

If I fry it, I like to rub freshly ground pepper into both sides as well as some granulated garlic
powder and some onion powder. (after whacking it with a tenderizing mallet for a while). I rub the
pepper etc. in using a table fork, that seems to work better that using just my hands/fingers. I also
lightly salt it, but only just seconds before frying it.

The back of a largish kitchen knife (My preference a meat cleaver) or the edge of a sturdy dinner
plate can work as a tenderizing mallet replacment in a pinch.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:35:26 GMT, hahabogus >
wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in
on Jul Thu 2009 pm

>> "Bobo BonoboŽ" > wrote in message
>> .
>> .. On Jul 22, 7:17 pm, Nikhil Patel > wrote:

>Yes it isn't that tender, but has great taste in stews or braised....loads more flavourful than round
>steak or stewing beef.

If you chill it, then cut it into thin strips, it's OK for stroganoff
or for stir-fries. Not my favorite, but OK.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:03:45 -0700, sf > fired up
random neurons and synapses to opine:

>On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:37:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo BonoboŽ
> wrote:
>
>>Not interesting, but very nice if you like rare beef. A 1-3/4" thick
>>sirloin is right up my alley. I'd put it on the grill over wood, or
>>charcoal/wood.

>Sirloin was my father's favorite piece of mean and he liked his rare.
>He used to say "They're chewy, but they're full of flavor".

The dear aulde dad used to *love* t-bones. He and the DH once got into
a protracted debate on the merits of t-bones versus the DH's favorite,
bone-in rib eye (sorry, Dad, the DH wins this one). 'Course, the dear
aulde dad nearly caused an international riot when we were in Paris
when I was a kid and he kept sending his steak back to the kitchen to
be cooked some more - he always chose #4 on the list of doneness
choices: rare, medium, well and carbon. The waiter finally informed
him that the chef refused to cook it further. I was 16, therefore
embarrassed to tears ;-)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 10:01*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd >
wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:03:45 -0700, sf > fired up
> random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
> >On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:37:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo BonoboŽ
> > wrote:

> >>Not interesting, but very nice if you like rare beef. *A 1-3/4" thick
> >>sirloin is right up my alley. *I'd put it on the grill over wood, or
> >>charcoal/wood.

> >Sirloin was my father's favorite piece of mean and he liked his rare.
> >He used to say "They're chewy, but they're full of flavor".

> The dear aulde dad used to *love* t-bones. He and the DH once got into
> a protracted debate on the merits of t-bones versus the DH's favorite,
> bone-in rib eye (sorry, Dad, the DH wins this one). 'Course, the dear
> aulde dad nearly caused an international riot when we were in Paris
> when I was a kid and he kept sending his steak back to the kitchen to
> be cooked some more - he always chose #4 on the list of doneness
> choices: rare, medium, well and carbon. The waiter finally informed
> him that the chef refused to cook it further. I was 16, therefore
> embarrassed to tears ;-)

If you want a charcoal briquette, order a charcoal briquette, not a
steak!

Well done is steak abuse!

John Kuthe...

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
>
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
> old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
> waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."
>
> - Duncan Hines
>
> To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:01:13 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>The dear aulde dad used to *love* t-bones. He and the DH once got into
>a protracted debate on the merits of t-bones versus the DH's favorite,
>bone-in rib eye (sorry, Dad, the DH wins this one).

OMG! IMO, the only thing better than a T-bone is a Porterhouse. Rib
eyes are too mushy for steak, although I do like a good filet.... and
I love a good rib roast. T-bones bring back images of my childhood,
with my grandparents who had TWO built in barbecues. One was next to
the fireplace in the "lean-to" which would be called a family room
these days and the other one was in the kitchen. During cold weather,
they'd build a roaring fire and later use the coals in the bbq to
grill up steaks. <slobber> Oh, man they were delicious! I remember
going to the butcher when I was a teenager. They'd bring out a whole
cut for me to tell them how thick I wanted whatever it was. YUM!
Good memories.

>'Course, the dear
>aulde dad nearly caused an international riot when we were in Paris
>when I was a kid and he kept sending his steak back to the kitchen to
>be cooked some more - he always chose #4 on the list of doneness
>choices: rare, medium, well and carbon. The waiter finally informed
>him that the chef refused to cook it further. I was 16, therefore
>embarrassed to tears ;-)

Your dad and my mom were at opposite ends of the spectrum. My mother
used to tell them that she just wanted the cow to stop kicking. No
kidding! Rare was good enough for me. I wanted it to at least be
warm and the juices to flow.

However, I know how you felt... not because although *I* ever felt
that way about my mom (she didn't send anything back in front of me)
but because of the famous (multiple) Eggs Benedict incidences my kids
had to endure when I sent my order back because they screwed up the
eggs. All I wanted was a *set* white and a runny yolk (not a hard
cooked egg). How hard is that? If I can do it, any short order cook
should be able to do it too.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> The dear aulde dad used to *love* t-bones. He and the DH once got into
> a protracted debate on the merits of t-bones versus the DH's favorite,
> bone-in rib eye (sorry, Dad, the DH wins this one).

I'd be on the side of bone-in rib eye, too, but it is not really fair
comparing such different cuts. Still, it has to be said that t-bone or
porterhouse (in the American usage) is an extremely awkward cut. It
effectively consists of two different cuts, fillet (tenderloin) and the
short loin (or strip, or in the sometime British usage, porterhouse),
requiring different cooking times, so it is virtually impossible to get
a perfect steak with this cut. Different parts of the steak will reach
the desired cooked temperature at different times, that is, the fillet
will tend to reach the desired level of doneness before the strip.
Besides, the fillet part is really not one of the more flavourful cuts.
It can still be a very fine steak indeed, but it can never be perfect.
The same is true of the famous bistecca alla fiorentina, perhaps the
only non-American example of such a cut.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 11:38*pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>
> > The dear aulde dad used to *love* t-bones. He and the DH once got into
> > a protracted debate on the merits of t-bones versus the DH's favorite,
> > bone-in rib eye (sorry, Dad, the DH wins this one).

> I'd be on the side of bone-in rib eye, too, but it is not really fair
> comparing such different cuts. *Still, it has to be said that t-bone or
> porterhouse (in the American usage) is an extremely awkward cut. *It
> effectively consists of two different cuts, fillet (tenderloin) and the
> short loin (or strip, or in the sometime British usage, porterhouse),
> requiring different cooking times, so it is virtually impossible to get
> a perfect steak with this cut. *Different parts of the steak will reach
> the desired cooked temperature at different times, that is, the fillet
> will tend to reach the desired level of doneness before the strip.
> Besides, the fillet part is really not one of the more flavourful cuts.
> It can still be a very fine steak indeed, but it can never be perfect.
> The same is true of the famous bistecca alla fiorentina, perhaps the
> only non-American example of such a cut.

I would far rather have the t-bone/porterhouse than the rib. The
differential in cooking times you mentioned makes a large (1-1/2" to
1-3/4" thick) steak perfect for my wife and I to share. She has a
much smaller appetite, and prefers her steak med rare, whereas I
prefer mine rare. She gets the filet, and I get the strip and the
bone. I adore the taste of the strip. Now that my son is getting
older, it is more important to get the really large ones because it's
getting split three ways. Wife gets the filey, but I leave some next
to the bone, son gets lean meat cut out of the strip, and I get all
the rarest meat next to the bones.
I'm sure glad that many others prefer the rib. Otherwise, t-bone
prices would be even higher.

> Victor

--Bryan