Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork Crackling..(Pigs Skin Purchase)

I bought a piece of Pork Skin with some fat attached..No meat though..... I
have bought it in the past to have some 'Crisp' Pork Crackling without the
meat!...Never really done much good with it though..:-(

Anyone ever felt like some of that nice 'crisp' warm pork crackling before
and only had a piece of the crackling skin?...It is around 8" X 12" piece
with a layer of fat under the skin, but no red (or pink) meat on the
piece...

How is the best way to cook a piece of this skin and enjoy it as if it was
still a part of the whole roast pork?...

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I wouldn't bother. I would score it, rub it with salt and put it in a
hot oven and the serve it as an amuse-bouche before the meal

Steve

Bigbazza wrote:

> How is the best way to cook a piece of this skin and enjoy it as if it
> was still a part of the whole roast pork?...
>
> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" > wrote in
:

> I bought a piece of Pork Skin with some fat attached..No meat
> though..... I have bought it in the past to have some 'Crisp' Pork
> Crackling without the meat!...Never really done much good with it
> though..:-(
>
> Anyone ever felt like some of that nice 'crisp' warm pork crackling
> before and only had a piece of the crackling skin?...It is around 8" X
> 12" piece with a layer of fat under the skin, but no red (or pink) meat
> on the piece...
>
> How is the best way to cook a piece of this skin and enjoy it as if it
> was still a part of the whole roast pork?...
>
> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, Homer would be proud of you, Bazza.

Pork rinds, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

To cook it....... score it (if it isn't already done) rub it with a little
oil (it makes the spices stick) then hit it with some cracked pepper and
Maldon Sea Salt, or whatever salt you use.

Make sure to get the seasonings into the cuts.

Put on a rack over a pan with some water in, and roast in a hot oven (skin
side up) till crackly.

Otherwise stick it in one of these........

http://i29.tinypic.com/ak90ep.jpg

It does bacon/pork rinds *bewdifully*!!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message
>I bought a piece of Pork Skin with some fat attached..No meat though..... I
>have bought it in the past to have some 'Crisp' Pork Crackling without the
>meat!...Never really done much good with it though..:-(
>
> Anyone ever felt like some of that nice 'crisp' warm pork crackling before
> and only had a piece of the crackling skin?...It is around 8" X 12" piece
> with a layer of fat under the skin, but no red (or pink) meat on the
> piece...
>
> How is the best way to cook a piece of this skin and enjoy it as if it was
> still a part of the whole roast pork?...
>
> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Generally referred to as chicharones is Spanish/Latin cultures.

here is a Cuban recipe.

Please Google.

Generally they're deep fried and a result or byproduct of rendering lard.

Chicharrones recipe (pork cracklings)
courtesy of Cocina Cubana Club (please join) / Pascual Perez and chef Sonia
Martinez

2 lbs pork rind or skin [trim most of the fat and discard]
1 tsp salt
2 cups water
Cooking oil for deep fat frying

Cut pork rind into 2-inch squares. sprinkle with salt, spread on cookie
sheet in one layer and bake in a 250 F oven for 3 hours.

Cool and set aside in covered jars until ready to use. When needed, pour oil
to about 1/3 the depth of the pan. Heat 5-8 minutes on medium high heat. Fry
pork rinds until they puff up [about 3-5 minutes].

Drain and serve with a dipping sauce which is a mixture of 2 Tbs vinegar,
1/8 tsp salt and 1 clove crushed garlic. [Dash of black pepper optional.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Bigbazza" > wrote in message
> >I bought a piece of Pork Skin with some fat attached..No meat though..... I
> >have bought it in the past to have some 'Crisp' Pork Crackling without the
> >meat!...Never really done much good with it though..:-(

<snip>

> Generally referred to as chicharones is Spanish/Latin cultures.
>
> here is a Cuban recipe.
>
> Please Google.
>
> Generally they're deep fried and a result or byproduct of rendering lard.
>
> Chicharrones recipe (pork cracklings)
> courtesy of Cocina Cubana Club (please join) / Pascual Perez and chef Sonia
> Martinez
>
> 2 lbs pork rind or skin [trim most of the fat and discard]
> 1 tsp salt
> 2 cups water
> Cooking oil for deep fat frying
>
> Cut pork rind into 2-inch squares. sprinkle with salt, spread on cookie
> sheet in one layer and bake in a 250 F oven for 3 hours.
>
> Cool and set aside in covered jars until ready to use. When needed, pour oil
> to about 1/3 the depth of the pan. Heat 5-8 minutes on medium high heat. Fry
> pork rinds until they puff up [about 3-5 minutes].
>
> Drain and serve with a dipping sauce which is a mixture of 2 Tbs vinegar,
> 1/8 tsp salt and 1 clove crushed garlic. [Dash of black pepper optional.
>
> Dimitri

What is the water for? Have had trouble getting the pork rinds to puff
up properly. Might try this recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message
>I bought a piece of Pork Skin with some fat attached..No meat though..... I
>have bought it in the past to have some 'Crisp' Pork Crackling without the
>meat!...Never really done much good with it though..:-(
>
> Anyone ever felt like some of that nice 'crisp' warm pork crackling before
> and only had a piece of the crackling skin?...It is around 8" X 12" piece
> with a layer of fat under the skin, but no red (or pink) meat on the
> piece...
>
> How is the best way to cook a piece of this skin and enjoy it as if it was
> still a part of the whole roast pork?...
>
> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

To finish off...I just threw the pork skin away, as I left it for too long
in the fridge and it had an off smell, so I'll have to get some more.. :-(

Thanks for the suggestions...

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz