Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roasted Garlic - Recipes

........from an old thread

> And you had it right. Roasted garlic is roasted garlic. Heck, people
> here can't even agree on how to bake a potato. And, it isn't rocket
> science. Nice that you tried to help someone out and they kick you
> in the teeth.
>
> nancy

I read the entire thread (some fast,some slow), and was pleasantly
surprised to see the depth of sarcasm and other wonderful things not
directly related to cooking. I really did want to know how long and
at what temperature to roast garlic, and it was funny to see the
variety of posts in the thread. Funniest of all though was when
several people suggested "testing" to find the best cooking method, as
if everyone on earth can afford to sit around testing things all their
lives. Roasted garlic may be simple, but it's simpleminded to assume
that everyone sees it that way. I rarely have the patience to read a
bunch of stuff from other people, like all the posts in this thread,
but I kept tuned in because I figured maybe the next post would supply
the answer to my roasted garlic question which brought me to the group
in the first place. But in this case I had the patience because I
kept looking for the answer and also because it was amusing and
entertaining. I might make this my new newsgroup.

Tommy Joe (Steam Fried Brains)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 May 2009 21:11:45 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
> wrote:

>Roasted garlic may be simple, but it's simpleminded to assume
>that everyone sees it that way. I rarely have the patience to read a
>bunch of stuff from other people, like all the posts in this thread,
>but I kept tuned in because I figured maybe the next post would supply
>the answer to my roasted garlic question which brought me to the group
>in the first place.

So how did you end up roasting your garlic?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe wrote:
> .......from an old thread

You're not kidding! 2003!

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
sf wrote:
Tommy Joe wrote: from an old thread

> So how did you end up roasting your garlic?

> You're not kidding! 2003!

First you, sf. I did not use my conventional oven as it's
incredibly filthy and can't stay on more than 20 minutes without the
smoke alarms going off. I have cleaned it before, but I'm a lazy
person and don't do a thorough job, plus it's and old electric job
that even when cleaned becomes quickly dirty again. I have lived in
rented apartments my entire adult life, in my younger years booted out
of many for failure to pay. This place I'm out now, I've been here 15
years. Anyway, I wound up putting two bulbs in aluminum foil with
olive oil drizzled over the cut off tops for 45 minutes at 400
degrees. It turned out alright. But presented me with another
question, how long does one have to wait to be able to squeeze the
garlic from the bulb without scalding their fingers? I suppose it
turned out ok. I used the roasted garlic for yukon gold mashed
potatos I made with some cream cheese. I wonder if using a mortar and
pestle to mash a bunch of garlic into a creamy texture wouldn't be
just as good as roasting it.

Yeah Nancy, it was an old thread and I couldn't post into it.
I'm not too compute savvy, but I was making some mashed potatos and
wanted to use roasted garlic and didn't want to screw it up, so
figured I'd type 'roasted garlic' into the little box, and that thread
is what came up. I got enough of an idea from some of the posts what
it was all about. I'm not very varied in my cooking, but I make a few
good things. Some of which I'm most proud are dishes where almost all
the ingredients are microwaved. For example, I'll steam 3 chicken
half breasts in bags for 8 minutes, then place in the fridge. I'll
cook brown rice on the stove. That's the only ingredient that is not
actually cooked in the microwave. Then, in a large oblong container I
put a bunch of raw veggies such as cabbage quarters, a cleaned and
cored red bell pepper, fresno peppers, rinsed brocoli, and scallions.
In a separate bag I keep some mushrooms. This recipe is only good if
you're like me, capable of eating the same thing 6 days in a row. So
each day I take a bit of chicken and slice it up along with a handful
of cooked brown rice. Then I dice up some of the red and fresno
pepper, some diced cabbage, some brocoli flowerets, and some
scallions. I also put some thinly sliced brocoli stems in there, cut
in half lengthwise so they're the size and shape of diced up celery.
Then some sliced mushrooms. Then half a lemon squeezed into it with
some olive oil, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, stir and put on a
plate with paper towel over it and put in microwave for 4 to 5 minutes
and it's done. Pretty good I must say. Thanks to all and also for
you Nancy, I was not kidding about enjoying the sarcasm in that
thread, the way it turned from being about food to a bunch of people
sniping at each other. I enjoyed it.

Tommy Joe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
> sf wrote:
> Tommy Joe wrote: from an old thread
> >

> > So how did you end up roasting your garlic?

> > You're not kidding! 2003!

My last post was poorly written, very sloppy, very careless,
sorry. I meant to say that I didn't use a conventional oven, I used a
toaster oven. I also use the toaster oven for those frozen french
rolls you get in the super market. I'm sure most you know already
know this, but mostly it's just a hoax, as the bread is already made.
When I get the frozen bake-your-own french rolls, I just thaw them
out, then cut them in half and toast them. It's a hoax. I guess it
makes people feel really involved to take the already cooked bread and
put it in their ovens. Anyway, I used the toaster oven to make the
garlic. Is there a ratio of some kind for toaster oven vs
conventional in terms of time and heat, etc...?

Tommy Joe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 12:36*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:

> .... *Anyway, I used the toaster oven to make the
> garlic. *Is there a ratio of some kind for toaster oven vs
> conventional in terms of time and heat, etc...?

No, but toaster ovens usually need to be calibrated. An ordinary oven
thermometer will do. Put it in, turn the oven to a commonly used
temperature, let it heat up. Check the thermometer. Mine, for
example, consistently achieves temperatures 25 degrees lower than the
setting, so if I want 375 I set it at 400. Because of the poor
insulation toaster ovens also cycle on and off more often, so be
consistent about when you check the temp. I wait until the moment
when the current goes off--when the heating rods go from red to dark.

As to whether you can just mix some mashed garlic with the potatoes,
you can, but the flavor of roasted garlic is noticeably different.
Richer, and much more mellow. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 May 2009 12:36:47 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe wrote:

> Tommy Joe wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>> Tommy Joe wrote: from an old thread
>>>

>>> So how did you end up roasting your garlic?

>>> You're not kidding! 2003!

> My last post was poorly written, very sloppy, very careless,
> sorry. I meant to say that I didn't use a conventional oven, I used a
> toaster oven. I also use the toaster oven for those frozen french
> rolls you get in the super market. I'm sure most you know already
> know this, but mostly it's just a hoax, as the bread is already made.
> When I get the frozen bake-your-own french rolls, I just thaw them
> out, then cut them in half and toast them. It's a hoax. I guess it
> makes people feel really involved to take the already cooked bread and
> put it in their ovens. Anyway, I used the toaster oven to make the
> garlic. Is there a ratio of some kind for toaster oven vs
> conventional in terms of time and heat, etc...?
>
> Tommy Joe

i'm not sure it makes a difference unless one is convection and the other
is not. convection temperature should usually be set 25 degrees lower.

there is a conventional to convection oven time/temperature conversion
calculaotr he

<http://www.convection-calculator.com/>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Thu, 28 May 2009 12:36:47 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe wrote:
>
> > Tommy Joe wrote:
> >> Nancy Young wrote:
> >> sf wrote:
> >> Tommy Joe wrote: from an old thread

> > My last post was poorly written, very sloppy, very careless,
> > sorry. I meant to say that I didn't use a conventional oven, I used a
> > toaster oven. I also use the toaster oven for those frozen french
> > rolls you get in the super market. I'm sure most you know already
> > know this, but mostly it's just a hoax, as the bread is already made.
> > When I get the frozen bake-your-own french rolls, I just thaw them
> > out, then cut them in half and toast them. It's a hoax. I guess it
> > makes people feel really involved to take the already cooked bread and
> > put it in their ovens. Anyway, I used the toaster oven to make the
> > garlic. Is there a ratio of some kind for toaster oven vs
> > conventional in terms of time and heat, etc...?
> >
> > Tommy Joe

> i'm not sure it makes a difference unless one is convection and the other
> is not. convection temperature should usually be set 25 degrees lower.
>
> there is a conventional to convection oven time/temperature conversion
> calculaotr he
>
> <http://www.convection-calculator.com/>
>
> your pal,
> blake

Gotta head out for work but am posting this now to bring it to a
fresher page so I won't have to go searching for it when I get back.
Selfish, huh?

Tommy Joe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 May 2009 18:06:28 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
> wrote:

> Gotta head out for work but am posting this now to bring it to a
>fresher page so I won't have to go searching for it when I get back.
>Selfish, huh?

What news reader are you using? I have no idea what G2/1.0 is or
means.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On May 28, 12:36 pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> >
> > .... Anyway, I used the toaster oven to make the
> > garlic. Is there a ratio of some kind for toaster oven vs
> > conventional in terms of time and heat, etc...?
> >

> No, but toaster ovens usually need to be calibrated. An ordinary oven
> thermometer will do. Put it in, turn the oven to a commonly used
> temperature, let it heat up. Check the thermometer. Mine, for
> example, consistently achieves temperatures 25 degrees lower than the
> setting, so if I want 375 I set it at 400. Because of the poor
> insulation toaster ovens also cycle on and off more often, so be
> consistent about when you check the temp. I wait until the moment
> when the current goes off--when the heating rods go from red to dark.
>
> As to whether you can just mix some mashed garlic with the potatoes,
> you can, but the flavor of roasted garlic is noticeably different.
> Richer, and much more mellow. -aem

Thanks to you for that, and also thanks to my pal Blake. Yeah, I
suppose for something like roasted garlic a 25 degree difference in
temp shouldn't make that big a difference, right? I figured what you
said about the roasted garlic having it's own unique flavor, but
thought I'd ask anyway. I'm not Mr. Cook by a long shot, very limited
with what I do and what I own, but am proud of a few things I throw
together. I used to make my own hummous using a mortar and pestle for
the garlic because I didn't have a blender, which I think is what most
people use nowadays. But I became lazy when I found the wholefoods
brand of hummous was not bad at all, especially with a little added
lemon. Anyway, thanks for your respnse on this, and lastly, I use
google for the newsgroups and will continue to do so unless I am one
day gifted with a newer computer that can handle newer browsers and
other programs. I had the groups on my computer till about 5 years
ago when I could no longer access unless I upgraded, which I have not
done and cannot afford to do and also maybe don't want to do as I have
found as I get older and older that I am resistant to change unless
it's forced on me or I hit the lottery and can afford to change with
less stress.

Tommy Joe (I use garlic to mask my bad breath)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2009 03:18:06 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe wrote:

> wrote:
>> On May 28, 12:36 pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
>>>
>>> .... Anyway, I used the toaster oven to make the
>>> garlic. Is there a ratio of some kind for toaster oven vs
>>> conventional in terms of time and heat, etc...?
>>>

>> No, but toaster ovens usually need to be calibrated. An ordinary oven
>> thermometer will do. Put it in, turn the oven to a commonly used
>> temperature, let it heat up. Check the thermometer. Mine, for
>> example, consistently achieves temperatures 25 degrees lower than the
>> setting, so if I want 375 I set it at 400. Because of the poor
>> insulation toaster ovens also cycle on and off more often, so be
>> consistent about when you check the temp. I wait until the moment
>> when the current goes off--when the heating rods go from red to dark.
>>
>> As to whether you can just mix some mashed garlic with the potatoes,
>> you can, but the flavor of roasted garlic is noticeably different.
>> Richer, and much more mellow. -aem

> Thanks to you for that, and also thanks to my pal Blake. Yeah, I
> suppose for something like roasted garlic a 25 degree difference in
> temp shouldn't make that big a difference, right? I figured what you
> said about the roasted garlic having it's own unique flavor, but
> thought I'd ask anyway. I'm not Mr. Cook by a long shot, very limited
> with what I do and what I own, but am proud of a few things I throw
> together. I used to make my own hummous using a mortar and pestle for
> the garlic because I didn't have a blender, which I think is what most
> people use nowadays.

the mortar and pestle is probably a better tool for making garlic into a
paste than the blender. better result, more fun, easier to clean.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> the mortar and pestle is probably a better tool for making garlic into a
> paste than the blender. better result, more fun, easier to clean.

And a good workout for the forearms and wrists. I actually
counted the twists one time, I think it was 150. I guess you know if
you put a little salt in there with the garlic already cut up it makes
it easier to grind down. I agree that cleaner blenders is a hassle.
The last one I owned, more than 10 years ago, was glass. I'd always
seen the plastic ones and wondered why anyone would want to buy one.
I found out why when I was washing the glass container one day and it
slipped out of my soapy hands into the sink. That was the end of
that.

Tommy Joe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2009 16:26:34 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>

>> the mortar and pestle is probably a better tool for making garlic into a
>> paste than the blender. better result, more fun, easier to clean.

> And a good workout for the forearms and wrists. I actually
> counted the twists one time, I think it was 150. I guess you know if
> you put a little salt in there with the garlic already cut up it makes
> it easier to grind down.

yep.

>I agree that cleaner blenders is a hassle.
> The last one I owned, more than 10 years ago, was glass. I'd always
> seen the plastic ones and wondered why anyone would want to buy one.
> I found out why when I was washing the glass container one day and it
> slipped out of my soapy hands into the sink. That was the end of
> that.

oopsie.

your pal,
blake