Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Fires You Up in a Morning?

On May 12, 7:06*am, Mack A. Damia > wrote:
> Usually up before 6, and I start my day with a mug of tea - British
> Blend - very strong, and I drink my tea with milk and sugar.

Most days the first thing I do is brew fresh coffee. I like to roam
around the many varieties that TJ offers, generally preferring a
medium dark roast. Don't much like the scorched extremely dark roasts
they favor in the PNW.

That said, on really good mornings I'll pick some oranges and squeeze
fresh juice. That perks (so to speak) me up more than the coffee
does.

> .... Usually drink freeze dried. *Sometimes, I use regular with the coffee
> maker.
> --

Have they improved freeze dried? When I tried it years ago it was
Tasters Choice, I think, and barely resembled coffee. I vaguely
remember the "tip" was to cover it and let it sit for a minute or two
before drinking. That didn't actually help much. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mack wrote:

> I also am quite fond of Nescafé.

In many restaurants in the middle east, if you order Western-style coffee
with breakfast (or any other meal, for that matter), you're likely to get a
cup of hot water and a Nescafé packet.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Mack wrote:
>
> > I also am quite fond of Nescafé.

> In many restaurants in the middle east, if you order Western-style coffee
> with breakfast (or any other meal, for that matter), you're likely to get a
> cup of hot water and a Nescafé packet.

My wife and younger son went to London a few years back to visit our
daughter, who was doing a semester abroad there. My wife likes hostels,
so they stayed at one. It was a little expensive for a hostel, but it
was London and also included breakfast. My wife likes breakfast, so she
was happy. At the first breakfast, she found that they only had two hot
items, toast and water! Obviously, you were supposed to make tea with
the hot water. Well, my wife likes her morning coffee. Fine, they had
a jar of stale instant coffee. After trying it twice, she gave up and
became a tea drinker for the two weeks. My son didn't care, since he
doesn't eat breakfast and isn't up then anyway. My son was happy with
the beverage situation, since London has lots of beer, which he loves
and my wife hates.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 2:38*pm, Matthew Malthouse > wrote:
> On Tue, 12 May 2009 11:08:18 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
> > Have they improved freeze dried? *When I tried it years ago it was
> > Tasters Choice, I think, and barely resembled coffee. *I

> Yes, it's improved.
>
> However its still not coffee.
>
> I rather like it, understanding that it's the Hot Brown Drink That Is
> Not Coffee helps, one then doesn't have unrealistic expectations.
>
> Matthew
>
> --
> Mail to this account goes to the bit bucket.
> In the unlikely event you want to mail me replace usenet with my name

Then there's always Postum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 May 2009 13:12:02 -0700 (PDT) in rec.food.cooking, Chemo the
Clown > wrote,

>Then there's always Postum.

Not any more, it was discontinued a while ago ( I'm guessing maybe two
years.) My grandfather learned to like Postum during WWII and drank it
for the rest of his life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Harmon wrote:
> On Wed, 13 May 2009 13:12:02 -0700 (PDT) in rec.food.cooking, Chemo the
> Clown > wrote,
>> Then there's always Postum.

> Not any more, it was discontinued a while ago ( I'm guessing maybe two
> years.) My grandfather learned to like Postum during WWII and drank it
> for the rest of his life.

My father did also (on and off) when his A-fib was acting up and he
needed to cut out the caffeine a bit.

What Fires You Up in a Morning? Mack A. Damia General Cooking 199 20-05-2009 07:39 PM
"What Fires You Up in a Morning" Breaks Sound Barrier! Andy[_15_] General Cooking 2 13-05-2009 07:17 PM
Update on Aus Fires Jen General Cooking 5 11-12-2006 10:36 PM
Wood Fires Jeff Givens Barbecue 21 17-05-2006 01:46 AM
Fires in Texas - are you OK Ed? Dick R. Wine 3 31-12-2005 07:58 PM