Do you need to peel carrots?

Old 09-05-2009, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you need to peel carrots?

More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you need to
peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I think there's
more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more vitamin and nutrient
content near the surface.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone do this?

Ed

Old 09-05-2009, 06:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Theron wrote:
More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you
need to peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I
think there's more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more
vitamin and nutrient content near the surface.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone do this?

I certainly do! I don't peel carrots or potatoes

Old 09-05-2009, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" wrote in message
More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you need
to peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I think
there's more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more vitamin and
nutrient content near the surface.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone do this?

Ed

Most times, that is all that is needed. Older carrots sometimes get icky
looking skin though.

I forget which is which, but cooked versus raw changes the balance between
more vitamin C vs. more vitamin A

Old 09-05-2009, 06:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Theron wrote:
More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you need to
peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I think there's
more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more vitamin and nutrient
content near the surface.

There are more vitamins in the skin, but there are also more toxins, so
it's a wash, usually. Peel or don't peel, depending on whether you like
the texture.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Old 09-05-2009, 06:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" wrote in message
More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you need
to peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I think
there's more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more vitamin and
nutrient content near the surface.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone do this?

Ed

In long cooking dishes much of the vitamins in carrots are lost from the
heat. Even uncooked carrot skin is bitter, and with skin scrubbed off
carrots look hairy and are unpleasant to eat... pared with a good peeler
very little carrot is lost. I don't peel carrots for the deer but I don't
much care for carrot skin.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...
Theron wrote:
More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you
need to peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I
think there's more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more
vitamin and nutrient content near the surface.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone do this?

I certainly do! I don't peel carrots or potatoes

He didn't mean because you're lazy.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-05-09, Theron wrote:
More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you need to
peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I think there's
more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more vitamin and nutrient
content near the surface.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone do this?

An interesting question, Theron. I, for one, think the skin just a tad too
bitter to include in dishes, so always thoroughly peel them. I can
understand how some folks might appreciate this slightly bitter factor, but
I like my carrots as sweet as I can get 'em. As for the vits/nuts, I get
all I need from beer.

nb
Old 09-05-2009, 07:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 May 2009 10:26:19 -0700, "Theron"
wrote:

More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you need to
peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I think there's
more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more vitamin and nutrient
content near the surface.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone do this?

Ed

I prefer to take the skin off with the back of my knife. I've found
too often that carrot skins are bitter and add nothing to flavor.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you
need to peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly.
I think there's more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's
more vitamin and nutrient content near the surface.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone do this?

Ed

I prefer to take the skin off with the back of my knife. I've found
too often that carrot skins are bitter and add nothing to flavor.

When I was a child, we used to scrape carrots, but the ones we buy now are
young and sweet.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" wrote in message
More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you need
to peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I think
there's more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more vitamin and
nutrient content near the surface.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone do this?

Ed

There's no need to peel carrots any more than there is need to peel
potatoes. It's a preference thing. My mother always peeled potatoes so for
years I did, too. Then I realized I could simply scrub them. However,
sometimes you have to ask what other people do just for fun

Jill

Old 09-05-2009, 08:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" wrote in message
More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you need
to peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I think
there's more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more vitamin and
nutrient content near the surface.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone do this?

I've never peeled a carrot in my life. I never will either.

TFM®

Old 09-05-2009, 09:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Theron" wrote in message
More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you need
to peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I think
there's more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more vitamin and
nutrient content near the surface.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone do this?

Ed

There's no need to peel carrots any more than there is need to peel
potatoes.

That's not true... they're very different vegetables. Most people enjoy
eating baked potato skins, many think the crisp skins are the best part,
they even stuff them. Potato skin contains the majority of the vegetable's
minerals (minerals neither evaporate or become damaged from heat), and a
goodly portion of fiber, so they're nutritious in boiled potatoes too... in
fact years ago folks ate the potato skins rather than filling up on the less
nutritious starchy insides but fed the insides to their livestock to fatten
them up for market.. this was very much the case in eastern Europe. When
folks feel like they have time it's a good idea to eye potatoes before
paring (eyes are toxic) and whiz the potato parings in a blender with some
liquid and add that to a soup/stew, adds extra minerals. Most people don't
like carrots with their skins, certainly not raw, the skins are bitter
(bitterness is a good indication that a vegetable is toxic, carrot skin is
slightly toxic), carrot skins add bitterness to a cooked dish too. Carrot
skins per se don't contain any special nutrition that isn't contained in the
entire carrot... if you're worried eat an extra half serving. And in long
cooking stews/soups, and braises much of the vitamins in carrots (Vitamin A)
is destroyed from the heat, mostly what one gets is sugar, and some fiber
because long cooking in liquid breaks down fiber too. I don't see the point
is scraping carrots (just as laborious as peeling, more laborious because
scraping creates a mess to clean), makes them look unappetizing, presents an
unappealing 'hairy' mouth feel, and increases the surface area of the
vegetable so they will lose more nutrition more quickly to evaporation and
seepage. Also there can be bits of sand, even small pebbles embedded in
carrots, peeling ensures removal... no one needs extra dental bills...
examine and scrub potatoes, any root veggies, carefully too, remove all
bruised/cut portions. And I don't like to order baked potatoes at
restaurants (they don't clean them properly... I usually opt for fries...
they contain little more calories than adding butter/sour cream to baked,
and I rarely make fries at home so they're more a treat, I can easily make
and often do make baked at home.. it's rare I light my oven for a roast that
I don't bake like a half dozen spuds... I enjoy cold spuds the next day,
baked potatoes make for the best potato salad. There're two reasons and
two reasons only for not peeling carrots, feeding live stock and lazyness.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" wrote:
"Theron" wrote:

More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you need
peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I think
there's
more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more vitamin and
nutrient

content near the surface.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone do this?

Ed

I never peel carrots, no matter how I plan to use them. Just scrub them
clean; why waste carrot, nutrients or effort; its not like they are
especially ugly or too tough.

When you have to pay like a grand to repair a broken tooth/crown from biting
down on a tiny pebble embedded in a carrot, plus all the pain and
inconvenience, you'll have no one to blame but your lazy assed self... you'd
best not have guests for dinner. Foreign matter embedded in root veggies
is a lot more common then you think... many a restaurant and major food
companies have had to pay dental bills.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Theron" wrote in message
[...]

I suppose I should have said I really dislike carrots and don't bother
cooking with or eating them Oh, I'll throw one or two in with a pot
roast or beef stew, but I don't bother peeling them first. Carrots are
entirely too sweet for my taste to just eat as a vegetable (which is the
sugary thing you mentioned before I snipped the rest of your post). And I
find them too fibrous even when cooked tender. Basically I don't like
carrots, but they do add flavour to stocks, soups and stews. Then I just
fish them out or don't eat them

Jill

Old 09-05-2009, 11:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" wrote in message

On 9-May-2009, "brooklyn1" wrote:

When you have to pay like a grand to repair a broken tooth/crown from
biting
down on a tiny pebble embedded in a carrot, plus all the pain and
inconvenience,

I suppose it'd be better mashing them to be absolutely safe. Or get those
little jars of Gerber carrots. Tonights menu, the Sheldon special; pureed
carrots & fried spam. Mmmmm, good.

You think mashing without peeling is going to remove foreign matter...
pureeing ain't good enough... why do you think Gerber also strains. You're
an idiot... I knew you were an idiot from your very first post here. You
really ought to go back to lurking, you contribute nothing.