Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kosher shrimp?

I know kosher salt (and other kosher food) has been discussed to death
here over the years - but I was on a recipe hunt this afternoon and one
of my cookbooks had a recipe that called for kosher shrimp.

Huh?

I have never seen it sold as such here (but then I've never looked for
it). I can understand beef/pork/lamb/poultry having to be blessed
and/or free of banned substances/whatever - but shrimp? Is this because
of all the farmed shrimp one can get these days?

BTW, I marked a couple thouands posts as read 20 minutes ago (tried to
catch up and decided it was futile) - so if this has already been asked
and answered, I apologize in advance.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 11:55*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> I know kosher salt (and other kosher food) has been discussed to death
> here over the years - but I was on a recipe hunt this afternoon and one
> of my cookbooks had a recipe that called for kosher shrimp.
>
> Huh?
>
> I have never seen it sold as such here (but then I've never looked for
> it). I can understand beef/pork/lamb/poultry having to be blessed
> and/or free of banned substances/whatever - but shrimp? Is this because
> of all the farmed shrimp one can get these days?
>
> BTW, I marked a couple thouands posts as read 20 minutes ago (tried to
> catch up and decided it was futile) - so if this has already been asked
> and answered, I apologize in advance.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

There is absolutely no such thing as "kosher" shrimp. MOCK shrimp,
maybe, but all shellfish are treif (not kosher) and you can't make
them kosher. Jews who keep kosher may not eat anything that lives in
the water if it does not have: dorsal fin. a tail and scales. No
eels, no mollusks, no shark, no catfish etc.
The only thing "less kosher" (there's really no such thing as "less
kosher') than shrimp is pork because swine are forbidden by name.
Also forbidden specifically are birds of prey, carrion eaters, animals
without cloven hoof and those who do not chew their cud.
Lynn from Fargo
does not keep kosher
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>I know kosher salt (and other kosher food) has been discussed to death
> here over the years - but I was on a recipe hunt this afternoon and one
> of my cookbooks had a recipe that called for kosher shrimp.
>
> Huh?
>
> I have never seen it sold as such here (but then I've never looked for
> it). I can understand beef/pork/lamb/poultry having to be blessed
> and/or free of banned substances/whatever - but shrimp? Is this because
> of all the farmed shrimp one can get these days?
>
> BTW, I marked a couple thouands posts as read 20 minutes ago (tried to
> catch up and decided it was futile) - so if this has already been asked
> and answered, I apologize in advance.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Mock shrimp

http://www.aviglatt.com/Product_382.html

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> I know kosher salt (and other kosher food) has been discussed to death
> here over the years - but I was on a recipe hunt this afternoon and one
> of my cookbooks had a recipe that called for kosher shrimp.
>
> Huh?
>
> I have never seen it sold as such here (but then I've never looked for
> it). I can understand beef/pork/lamb/poultry having to be blessed
> and/or free of banned substances/whatever - but shrimp? Is this because
> of all the farmed shrimp one can get these days?
>
> BTW, I marked a couple thouands posts as read 20 minutes ago (tried to
> catch up and decided it was futile) - so if this has already been asked
> and answered, I apologize in advance.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

according to the laws of kashruth, bottom feeders such as shrimp,
lobster, crab, and other creepy crawlers (octupus, eel, etc) are not
allowed to be eaten by observant jews. the only fish that is allowed
are fish with scales; pork is outlawed because it is considered an
unclean animal and because of its hooves. a kosher shrimp is a non-
existant creature.

hope this sorta helps.

harriet & critters in azusa, ca...(where we're going to have another
95F=/- day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 12:55*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> I know kosher salt (and other kosher food) has been discussed to death
> here over the years - but I was on a recipe hunt this afternoon and one
> of my cookbooks had a recipe that called for kosher shrimp.
>
> Huh?
>
> I have never seen it sold as such here (but then I've never looked for
> it). I can understand beef/pork/lamb/poultry having to be blessed
> and/or free of banned substances/whatever - but shrimp? Is this because
> of all the farmed shrimp one can get these days?

In the US at least, there is kosher surimi done up in crab, lobster
and shrimp artificial flavors. To me, they all taste the same, but
hey, if it makes someone happy, who am I to complain?

For years, there's been a mock lobster salad (from the 50's or 60's)
that makes the rounds of the Jewish food and recipe lists.

best,
maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> Mock shrimp
>
> http://www.aviglatt.com/Product_382.html
>
> Dimitri

Ah. OK. I think I geddit. Like those crab sticks they sell in the
stupidmarkets - and mock bacon, too? Supposed to taste like the 'real
thing'... Yeah right.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

mequeenbe.nospam wrote:

> according to the laws of kashruth, bottom feeders such as shrimp,
> lobster, crab, and other creepy crawlers (octupus, eel, etc) are not
> allowed to be eaten by observant jews. the only fish that is allowed
> are fish with scales; pork is outlawed because it is considered an
> unclean animal and because of its hooves. a kosher shrimp is a non-
> existant creature.
>
> hope this sorta helps.

Yep, it did, thank you.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>I know kosher salt (and other kosher food) has been discussed to death
> here over the years - but I was on a recipe hunt this afternoon and one
> of my cookbooks had a recipe that called for kosher shrimp.
>
> Huh?
>
> I have never seen it sold as such here (but then I've never looked for
> it). I can understand beef/pork/lamb/poultry having to be blessed
> and/or free of banned substances/whatever - but shrimp? Is this because
> of all the farmed shrimp one can get these days?
>
> BTW, I marked a couple thouands posts as read 20 minutes ago (tried to
> catch up and decided it was futile) - so if this has already been asked
> and answered, I apologize in advance.

Kosher shrimp are about as hard to find as kosher pork.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>>I know kosher salt (and other kosher food) has been discussed to death
>> here over the years - but I was on a recipe hunt this afternoon and one
>> of my cookbooks had a recipe that called for kosher shrimp.
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> I have never seen it sold as such here (but then I've never looked for
>> it). I can understand beef/pork/lamb/poultry having to be blessed
>> and/or free of banned substances/whatever - but shrimp? Is this because
>> of all the farmed shrimp one can get these days?
>>
>> BTW, I marked a couple thouands posts as read 20 minutes ago (tried to
>> catch up and decided it was futile) - so if this has already been asked
>> and answered, I apologize in advance.

> Kosher shrimp are about as hard to find as kosher pork.
>
> Paul

http://www.baconunwrapped.com/2006/12/kosher-bacon.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> I know kosher salt (and other kosher food) has been discussed to death
> here over the years - but I was on a recipe hunt this afternoon and one
> of my cookbooks had a recipe that called for kosher shrimp.
>
> Huh?
>
> I have never seen it sold as such here (but then I've never looked for
> it). I can understand beef/pork/lamb/poultry having to be blessed
> and/or free of banned substances/whatever - but shrimp? Is this because
> of all the farmed shrimp one can get these days?
>
> BTW, I marked a couple thouands posts as read 20 minutes ago (tried to
> catch up and decided it was futile) - so if this has already been asked
> and answered, I apologize in advance.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Sounds like a joke to me, like kosher ham. I'm not Jewish, Muslim nor an
expert on such things but I thought all shellfish were inherently
un-kosher.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Ah. OK. I think I geddit. Like those crab sticks they sell in the
> stupidmarkets - and mock bacon, too? Supposed to taste like the 'real
> thing'... Yeah right.

Turkey bacon, veggie burgers, krab, some folks want what
they can't or won't have. In my case being wheat intolerant
my pasta is made from quinoa and my bread from 100% rye.
I don't actually miss either item so my using the fakes is
for fun rather than out of some drive to have the real thing,
but I get the concept of wanting a fake of something I can't
eat.

Shellfish are my favorite in general. Any sort really. The
purpose of verbebrate fish to me is to die and settle to the
bottom to feed the yummy shellfish. So folks not eating
shellfish, more for me. I'm calling it teamwork.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 May 2009 21:50:25 GMT, "brooklyn1"
> wrote:
>
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> >

> > Kosher shrimp are about as hard to find as kosher pork.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> http://www.baconunwrapped.com/2006/12/kosher-bacon.html

My grandmother although of an orthodox leaning family with two rabbis
as brothers in law herself married a goyim (the reasons for this being
a whole other story).

Every Sunday the whole family went to grandmother's for high tea. And
every Sunday on the table was a honey roast ham for my gentile
grandfather. And every Sunday everyone tucked in with gusto.

Without fail one of my great aunts would compliemnt grandmother on the
meal saying,
"Eva, that was the best bit of salt beef I've had all week!"

Matthew

--
Mail to this account goes to the bit bucket.
In the unlikely event you want to mail me replace usenet with my name
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 5:52*pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>
> > I know kosher salt (and other kosher food) has been discussed to death
> > here over the years - but I was on a recipe hunt this afternoon and one
> > of my cookbooks had a recipe that called for kosher shrimp.

> > Huh?

> > I have never seen it sold as such here (but then I've never looked for
> > it). I can understand beef/pork/lamb/poultry having to be blessed
> > and/or free of banned substances/whatever - but shrimp? Is this because
> > of all the farmed shrimp one can get these days?

> > BTW, I marked a couple thouands posts as read 20 minutes ago (tried to
> > catch up and decided it was futile) - so if this has already been asked
> > and answered, I apologize in advance.
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> Sounds like a joke to me, like kosher ham. I'm not Jewish, Muslim nor an
> expert on such things but I thought all shellfish were inherently
> un-kosher.

They are, but there are ersatz versions of just about everything these
days. Ask a vegetarian what they do when they have a craving for
bacon and eggs. None of it tastes like the real thing, but if you
haven't eaten the real thing in a while or ever, it's a tolerable
substitute.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>I know kosher salt (and other kosher food) has been discussed to death
> here over the years - but I was on a recipe hunt this afternoon and one
> of my cookbooks had a recipe that called for kosher shrimp.
>
> Huh?
>
> I have never seen it sold as such here (but then I've never looked for
> it). I can understand beef/pork/lamb/poultry having to be blessed
> and/or free of banned substances/whatever - but shrimp? Is this because
> of all the farmed shrimp one can get these days?
>
> BTW, I marked a couple thouands posts as read 20 minutes ago (tried to
> catch up and decided it was futile) - so if this has already been asked
> and answered, I apologize in advance.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I was of the impression that all shellfish were not kosher.

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 May 2009 10:06:41 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
wrote:

> On May 8, 11:55*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> I know kosher salt (and other kosher food) has been discussed to death
>> here over the years - but I was on a recipe hunt this afternoon and one
>> of my cookbooks had a recipe that called for kosher shrimp.
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> I have never seen it sold as such here (but then I've never looked for
>> it). I can understand beef/pork/lamb/poultry having to be blessed
>> and/or free of banned substances/whatever - but shrimp? Is this because
>> of all the farmed shrimp one can get these days?
>>
>> BTW, I marked a couple thouands posts as read 20 minutes ago (tried to
>> catch up and decided it was futile) - so if this has already been asked
>> and answered, I apologize in advance.
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> There is absolutely no such thing as "kosher" shrimp. MOCK shrimp,
> maybe, but all shellfish are treif (not kosher) and you can't make
> them kosher. Jews who keep kosher may not eat anything that lives in
> the water if it does not have: dorsal fin. a tail and scales. No
> eels, no mollusks, no shark, no catfish etc.
> The only thing "less kosher" (there's really no such thing as "less
> kosher') than shrimp is pork because swine are forbidden by name.
> Also forbidden specifically are birds of prey, carrion eaters, animals
> without cloven hoof and those who do not chew their cud.
> Lynn from Fargo
> does not keep kosher

ah, but you forget the Chinese Restaurant Exception:

Even in the Chinese restaurant, where the Lord has lifted the ban on pork
dishes for the obedient children of Israel, the eating of lobster Cantonese
is considered by God (Whose mouthpiece on earth, in matters pertaining to
food, is my Mom) to be totally out of the question. Why we can eat pig on
Pell Street and not at home is because. . . frankly I still haven't got the
whole thing figured out, but at the time I believe it has largely to do
with the fact that the elderly man who owns the place, and whom amongst
ourselves we call Shmendrick, isn't somebody whose opinion of us we have
cause to worry about. Yes, the only people in the world whom it seems to me
the Jews are not afraid of are the Chinese. Because, one, the way they
speak English makes my father sound like Lord Chesterfield; two, the
insides of their heads are just so much fried rice anyway; and three, to
them we are not Jews but white - and maybe even Anglo-Saxon. Imagine! No
wonder the waiters can't intimidate us. To them we're just some big-nosed
variety of WASP! Boy, do we eat! Suddenly even the pig is no threat -
though, to be sure, it comes to us so chopped and shredded, and is then set
afloat on our plates in such oceans of soy sauce, as to bear no resemblance
at all to a pork chop, or a hambone, or, most disgusting of all, a sausage
(ucchh! )

- 'portnoy's complaint'

your pal,
alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> ah, but you forget the Chinese Restaurant Exception:
>
> Even in the Chinese restaurant, where the Lord has lifted the ban on
> pork dishes for the obedient children of Israel, the eating of lobster
> Cantonese is considered by God (Whose mouthpiece on earth, in matters
> pertaining to food, is my Mom) to be totally out of the question. Why
> we can eat pig on Pell Street and not at home is because. . . frankly
> I still haven't got the whole thing figured out, but at the time I
> believe it has largely to do with the fact that the elderly man who
> owns the place, and whom amongst ourselves we call Shmendrick, isn't
> somebody whose opinion of us we have cause to worry about. Yes, the
> only people in the world whom it seems to me the Jews are not afraid
> of are the Chinese. Because, one, the way they speak English makes my
> father sound like Lord Chesterfield; two, the insides of their heads
> are just so much fried rice anyway; and three, to them we are not Jews
> but white - and maybe even Anglo-Saxon. Imagine! No wonder the waiters
> can't intimidate us. To them we're just some big-nosed variety of
> WASP! Boy, do we eat! Suddenly even the pig is no threat - though, to
> be sure, it comes to us so chopped and shredded, and is then set
> afloat on our plates in such oceans of soy sauce, as to bear no
> resemblance at all to a pork chop, or a hambone, or, most disgusting
> of all, a sausage (ucchh! )
>
> - 'portnoy's complaint'
>
> your pal,
> alex

Heh. DH said something to me to today....

"When chickens are fed on a diet that contains fish meal, some people
say the eggs taste 'fishy'. So does it follow that if chickens are fed
on a diet that contains pork meal, we could have a single
ingredient 'bacon and egg' for breakfast?"

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy