Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Marinated Garlic Cloves recipe?

I have looked everywhere for a recipe for marinated garlic cloves. I
love the ones at whole foods but why pay $10 a pound when you can make
your own? I have looked on the internet and through all my cookbooks and
i can't find one. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 May 2009 09:29:29 -0500, Betsy wrote:

> I have looked everywhere for a recipe for marinated garlic cloves. I
> love the ones at whole foods but why pay $10 a pound when you can make
> your own? I have looked on the internet and through all my cookbooks and
> i can't find one. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

you might google 'pickled garlic.' but 'marinated garlic' turns up over
800,000 hits, so i'm not sure what your problem is.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Betsy wrote:
> I have looked everywhere for a recipe for marinated garlic cloves. I
> love the ones at whole foods but why pay $10 a pound when you can make
> your own? I have looked on the internet and through all my cookbooks and
> i can't find one. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

There's a French recipe that calls for pouring boiling vinegar flavored
with mustard over the peeled garlic cloves and letting sit for 24 hours.

This recipe includes various other veggies in with the garlic but you
might find the above of some use.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Betsy wrote:
> I have looked everywhere for a recipe for marinated garlic cloves. I
> love the ones at whole foods but why pay $10 a pound when you can make
> your own? I have looked on the internet and through all my cookbooks and
> i can't find one. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

If you love those at Whole Foods why bother peeling a pound of garlic
cloves, and by the time you buy the garlic and the marinade ingredients you
will probably save nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Betsy wrote:
>> I have looked everywhere for a recipe for marinated garlic cloves. I
>> love the ones at whole foods but why pay $10 a pound when you can make
>> your own? I have looked on the internet and through all my cookbooks and
>> i can't find one. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

> If you love those at Whole Foods why bother peeling a pound of garlic
> cloves, and by the time you buy the garlic and the marinade ingredients
> you will probably save nothing.

My grocer sells a pound of peeled garlic cloves for $1.99.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 10:06*pm, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
> Betsy wrote:
> > I have looked everywhere for a recipe for marinated garlic cloves. I
> > love the ones at whole foods but why pay $10 a pound when you can make
> > your own? I have looked on the internet and through all my cookbooks and
> > i can't find one. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

> There's a French recipe that calls for pouring boiling vinegar flavored
> with mustard over the peeled garlic cloves and letting sit for 24 hours.

I've done something similar. Bring garlic cloves to a 30 second boil
in white vinegar, toss in a bay leaf and immediately vinegar, bay leaf
and cloves into into jar. Wait 24 hours They are excellent.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dejablues" > wrote in message

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> Betsy wrote:
>>> I have looked everywhere for a recipe for marinated garlic cloves. I
>>> love the ones at whole foods but why pay $10 a pound when you can make
>>> your own? I have looked on the internet and through all my cookbooks and
>>> i can't find one. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

>> If you love those at Whole Foods why bother peeling a pound of garlic
>> cloves, and by the time you buy the garlic and the marinade ingredients
>> you will probably save nothing.

> My grocer sells a pound of peeled garlic cloves for $1.99.

I don't buy those. To me bottled garlic tastes like garlic gone bad. I
know that practically all commercially prepared products, including
restaurant food, uses bottled garlic but I don't think it tastes much like
how garlic is supposed to taste. I've noticed lately that all fermented
pickles have gone to bottled garlic, I can tell because real garlic is still
in its skin. I guess bottled garlic would work for someone who likes that
Whole Foods product because it very likely is made with bottled garlic. I
guess bottled garlic is okay but to me it tastes different like how garlic
powder tastes different. You wouldn't find me chomping down whole garlic
cloves anyways but if I were developing a recipe for marinated garlic cloves
I'd want to give it the best shot possible so I would peel my own garlic...
I know that bottled garlic is processed with a preservative which is why it
doesn't taste like real garlic. I've already been accused here of using
bottled minced garlic but be well assured I've never used any form of
bottled garlic... every clove of garlic I've ever used I've peeled with my
own fingers, and sliced or mashed with a knife... I've never owned a garlic
press either. I do use granulated garlic but I expect it to taste
different.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "dejablues" > wrote in message

>>> If you love those at Whole Foods why bother peeling a pound of garlic
>>> cloves, and by the time you buy the garlic and the marinade ingredients
>>> you will probably save nothing.

>> My grocer sells a pound of peeled garlic cloves for $1.99.
>>

> I don't buy those. To me bottled garlic tastes like garlic gone bad.

No, no. This isn't bottled garlic, it's just peeled cloves in a plastic tub
or a baggie. They're fresh, this is actually my butcher shop that sells a
variety of groceries also but they have enough volume to justify selling the
peeled cloves, I guess. Unless I've just harvested the tomato crop and am
making sauce, it's more than I can use but I might get some now and pickle
them.

I lost my garlic press years ago, I mash it with a knife as well. I also
have a relative that eats whole cloves - you really don't want to sit next
to him sometimes!