Dumb Question - Cooking Sausage in Microwave

Old 01-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Jedi Master CK
Usenet poster

Default Dumb Question - Cooking Sausage in Microwave

I have fresh italian sausage that I want uncut on the side for
spaghetti and red sauce...

Can I simply cook the sausage link in the microwave? If yes, how long
do I cook it for in the microwave? Until it reaches 170 degrees?

I, and My Little Daughter, Thank You in Advance...

Old 01-11-2003, 10:08 PM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

Jedi Master CK wrote:
I have fresh italian sausage that I want uncut on the side for
spaghetti and red sauce...

Can I simply cook the sausage link in the microwave? If yes, how long
do I cook it for in the microwave? Until it reaches 170 degrees?

I, and My Little Daughter, Thank You in Advance...

Sounds like you have a good start to a good sauce. So why not brown it in a
pot and if needed add a little olive oil? You can cook the sauce in the
same pot after you've browned the sausage. It will take a bit for fresh
(uncooked) sausage to cook but if you brown it in the pot and then cook it
in the sauce, should work out perfectly.

Jill

Old 01-11-2003, 10:16 PM
David Wright
Usenet poster

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 15:08:27 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Jedi Master CK wrote:
I have fresh italian sausage that I want uncut on the side for
spaghetti and red sauce...

Can I simply cook the sausage link in the microwave? If yes, how long
do I cook it for in the microwave? Until it reaches 170 degrees?

I, and My Little Daughter, Thank You in Advance...

Sounds like you have a good start to a good sauce. So why not brown it in a
pot and if needed add a little olive oil? You can cook the sauce in the
same pot after you've browned the sausage. It will take a bit for fresh
(uncooked) sausage to cook but if you brown it in the pot and then cook it
in the sauce, should work out perfectly.

Jill

But make a few slits in the sausage skin as you fry them. Otherwise
you may have Sausage Surprise on your shirt.

David
Old 01-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Reg
Usenet poster

Jedi Master CK wrote:
I have fresh italian sausage that I want uncut on the side for
spaghetti and red sauce...

Can I simply cook the sausage link in the microwave? If yes, how long
do I cook it for in the microwave? Until it reaches 170 degrees?

I, and My Little Daughter, Thank You in Advance...

Braise the sausage right in with the sauce. Both will taste great when
you're finished.

Brown the sausage in a skillet and add them to your sauce. Bring the
sauce up to a simmer and slowly cook for about 30 minutes. Take
the sausage out and serve them on the side.

For extra flavor, deglaze the skillet with some wine or stock
and add it into the sauce.

Old 01-11-2003, 10:26 PM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

wrote:

Jedi Master CK wrote:
I have fresh italian sausage that I want uncut on the side for
spaghetti and red sauce...

Can I simply cook the sausage link in the microwave? If yes, how
long
do I cook it for in the microwave? Until it reaches 170 degrees?

I, and My Little Daughter, Thank You in Advance...

Sounds like you have a good start to a good sauce. So why not brown
it in a pot and if needed add a little olive oil? You can cook the
sauce in the same pot after you've browned the sausage.
Jill

But make a few slits in the sausage skin as you fry them. Otherwise
you may have Sausage Surprise on your shirt.

David

Excellent point! I tend to forget about details like that Thanks,
David!

Jill

Old 01-11-2003, 10:37 PM
K3
Usenet poster

Don't you dare ever visit one of my sausage/brat grills next summer... no
forks/knives allowed within' 50-feet of the grill while cooking 'em... it
all tongs...

I'd rather the brat/sausage explode on it's own that cut it's thoat and
force it to bleed to death!!! just be sure to have some sorta cover on the
grill or skillet. Just when the brats/sausages look like they're gonna
explode, toss in a handfull of sliced onions & green peppers... a clove of
chopped garlic... a splash of the beer that 'yer sippin' on... Mmmmmm!!!

Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

"Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!"

Old 01-11-2003, 10:51 PM
Jedi Master CK
Usenet poster

I have fresh italian sausage that I want uncut on the side for
spaghetti and red sauce...

Can I simply cook the sausage link in the microwave? If yes, how long
do I cook it for in the microwave? Until it reaches 170 degrees?

I, and My Little Daughter, Thank You in Advance...

Thank you for all your responses...

My problem is that My Daughter doesn't like it "crusty" brown if you
know what I mean... And she doesn't like the sausage cut... 4 year old
- you know how it is... I was thinking boiling, but, that takes too
long... That's why I was wondering about the quicker microwave...
Basically, I'm wondering if you can safely cook a sausage in the
microwave so that there is no food poisoning...

Old 01-11-2003, 10:59 PM
Reg
Usenet poster

Jedi Master CK wrote:

My Daughter doesn't like it "crusty" brown

Don't brown them then. Poach them, in the sauce or in some stock
or water. Some people like to poach in beer.

And she doesn't like the sausage cut

So don't cut them.

Old 01-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

"Reg" wrote in message
.. .
Jedi Master CK wrote:

My Daughter doesn't like it "crusty" brown

Don't brown them then. Poach them, in the sauce or in some stock
or water. Some people like to poach in beer.

And she doesn't like the sausage cut

So don't cut them.

They must not teach this stuff at the Jedi Academy.

Jack Vader

Old 02-11-2003, 02:59 AM
Nancy Young
Usenet poster

Jedi Master CK wrote:

I have fresh italian sausage that I want uncut on the side for
spaghetti and red sauce...

Can I simply cook the sausage link in the microwave? If yes, how long
do I cook it for in the microwave? Until it reaches 170 degrees?

Poke them with a fork a few times and bake them in the oven. Then
finish them off in the sauce.

nancy
Old 02-11-2003, 03:17 AM
Carnivore269
Usenet poster

Jedi Master CK wrote in message . ..
I have fresh italian sausage that I want uncut on the side for
spaghetti and red sauce...

Can I simply cook the sausage link in the microwave? If yes, how long
do I cook it for in the microwave? Until it reaches 170 degrees?

I, and My Little Daughter, Thank You in Advance...

I cook sausage in the microwave all the time. :-)
But you have to be careful, or it CAN get a bit dry and brown on
either end...

The best way is to simply lightly boil it in a corningware.

I just cooked some "healthy choice" polish sausage in the microwave
this morning using a covered corningware. I add about 1/2" of water
to the container, add the sausage and nuke for about 6 minutes. Cut
the time if the sausage is thawed.

If your daughter is really picky tho' about any dryness on the ends,
(I have a toddler nephew, I know how kids can be G) then totally
cover the sausage with water before nuking to prevent any browning at
all.

Hope this helps?

C.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:46 AM
Edwin Pawlowski
Usenet poster

"Jedi Master CK" wrote in message
My problem is that My Daughter doesn't like it "crusty" brown if you
know what I mean... And she doesn't like the sausage cut... 4 year old
- you know how it is... I was thinking boiling, but, that takes too
long... That's why I was wondering about the quicker microwave...
Basically, I'm wondering if you can safely cook a sausage in the
microwave so that there is no food poisoning...

The mw will work, but there is an easier way.

Just toss the sausages in the sauce and let them cook.

Use whatever meat you happen to have and do the same. Cheap cuts of beef,
ribs, cheap pork chops from the end cuts. Let them simmer slowly in the
sauce for a few hours and both the sauce will be flavored and the meat will
be tender.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Old 02-11-2003, 05:03 AM
John Gaughan
Usenet poster

Jedi Master CK wrote:
My problem is that My Daughter doesn't like it "crusty" brown if you
know what I mean...

My wife is the same way. I always grill sausages until they have a nice,
crusty shell around them. I like to hear a crunch when I bite into them.

Sometimes what I do cook them in a frying pan with a little bit of water
in the bottom. I add the water, then add oregano and thyme, heat it up,
and add the sausages. I turn them often to cook evenly. Covering them
can be a good idea so it traps the heat and helps cook them evenly,
avoiding the crusty layer.

My personal opinion is that the microwave is for reheating leftovers or
melting stuff like butter or chocolate, not for cooking. I would never
cook sausage in the microwave. But that is just me. I'm weird :-)

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Old 02-11-2003, 09:46 AM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

Jedi Master CK wrote:
Thank you for all your responses...

My problem is that My Daughter doesn't like it "crusty" brown if you
know what I mean... And she doesn't like the sausage cut... 4 year old
- you know how it is... I was thinking boiling, but, that takes too
long... That's why I was wondering about the quicker microwave...
Basically, I'm wondering if you can safely cook a sausage in the
microwave so that there is no food poisoning...

I can't recall telling my mother how to cook when I was 4 years old. I
never suggested you brown it until it is "crusty". Does she supervise all
your cooking?

Jill

Old 02-11-2003, 09:51 AM
Foghorn
Usenet poster

In ,
jmcquown typed:
Jedi Master CK wrote:
Thank you for all your responses...

My problem is that My Daughter doesn't like it "crusty" brown if you
know what I mean... And she doesn't like the sausage cut... 4 year old
- you know how it is... I was thinking boiling, but, that takes too
long... That's why I was wondering about the quicker microwave...
Basically, I'm wondering if you can safely cook a sausage in the
microwave so that there is no food poisoning...

I can't recall telling my mother how to cook when I was 4 years old. I
never suggested you brown it until it is "crusty". Does she supervise all
your cooking?

Jill

and the cleaning of the cutlery. the 4 year old must be the most intellegent one
in the home, don't you think?

!