Ideas for Spring/Easter salad?

Old 07-04-2009, 11:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ideas for Spring/Easter salad?

Good afternoon all,

Trying to put together my Easter dinner menu, and I'm stuck on the
salad.

Usually I do a walnut, pear & blue cheese on butter lettuce, but I'm
having a pear tart for dessert and I don't want to "double-dip".

What other Spring-y green salads do you make? All suggestions welcome.

Thank you,
Kris

Old 07-04-2009, 11:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris asked:

Trying to put together my Easter dinner menu, and I'm stuck on the
salad.

Usually I do a walnut, pear & blue cheese on butter lettuce, but I'm
having a pear tart for dessert and I don't want to "double-dip".

What other Spring-y green salads do you make? All suggestions welcome.

This was posted here by Jack Schidt some years ago:

Strawberry Spring Salad
Yield: 4 Servings

3 tb White wine vinegar
3 tb Water
1 tb Honey
2 tb Extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 ts Salt
1/8 ts Pepper
3 c Strawberries, quartered
10 oz Italian Blend salad greens
4 ts Pine nuts, roasted

Combine first 6 ingredients and stir well with a whisk. Combine strawberries
and greens. Add the vinegar mix; toss to coat. Sprinkle with nuts.

Bob

Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
Good afternoon all,

Trying to put together my Easter dinner menu, and I'm stuck on the
salad.

Usually I do a walnut, pear & blue cheese on butter lettuce, but I'm
having a pear tart for dessert and I don't want to "double-dip".

What other Spring-y green salads do you make? All suggestions welcome.

Thank you,
Kris

This salad has been popular at my house, and the dressing is added to
the salad. It tastes much better than it sounds, and it is attractive in
appearance.

Shoepeg Corn and Baby Pea Salad

Salad

1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
1 1/2 cups celery, diced
1 (15 ounce) can baby green peas (Le Seueur brand)
1 cup green onions, chopped
1 (4ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
1 (11 ounce) can white shoepeg corn

Dressing

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar (or substitute Splenda)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried dill (or use fresh)

In a large bowl with a good top that seals, combine all of the
vegetables and toss to combine.

Add the salad dressing ingredients.Place tight fitting lid on the
bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Periodically, give the bowl a shake to distribute the dressing
over the vegetables.

Serve cold with a slotted spoon. I will serve this on a leaf of
red leaf lettuce.

Note: I mix the dressing in the bowl first, then I add
the vegetables.

Becca

Old 08-04-2009, 12:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

When you mentioned walnuts and bleu cheese, my mind went to a Waldorf
Salad with bleu cheese, walnuts, celery, grapes or not, mayo or yogurt
dressing (or maybe bleu cheese dressing.)

I have been planning to make this all week because we had some apples
left over in the garage fridge that we had forgotten about. I think
I'll wait until Easter Sunday now, as it goes good with ham.

Libby

Old 08-04-2009, 12:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 15:23:40 -0700 (PDT), Kris
wrote:

What other Spring-y green salads do you make? All suggestions welcome.

Nothing says Spring like asparagus. Blanche and marinate in
oil/vinegar dressing of your choice. Arrange on Bibb with chopped
egg and glazed pecans.

Fresh,...very fresh greens with red onion and chopped parsley. Since
it is the Easter season...the chopped egg probably will be handy and
adds nice color. Raspberry vinaigrette would be nice.

Just keep it light, and very fresh.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Good afternoon all,

Trying to put together my Easter dinner menu, and I'm stuck on the
salad.

Usually I do a walnut, pear & blue cheese on butter lettuce, but I'm
having a pear tart for dessert and I don't want to "double-dip".

What other Spring-y green salads do you make? All suggestions welcome.

I think you should go simple and just do a spring mix... maybe with
some leaf lettuce (bibb or red) mixed in also to make it less
expensive.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Good afternoon all,

Trying to put together my Easter dinner menu, and I'm stuck on the
salad.

Usually I do a walnut, pear & blue cheese on butter lettuce, but I'm
having a pear tart for dessert and I don't want to "double-dip".

What other Spring-y green salads do you make? All suggestions welcome.

If you like blue cheese with greens, you would like the baby blue
salad, which contains baby greens, blue cheese, strawberries, orange
sections, and sweet and spicy pecans:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...pe_id=46 6956

It is such a wonderful combination of flavors and textures.

Tara

Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Good afternoon all,

Trying to put together my Easter dinner menu, and I'm stuck on the
salad.

Usually I do a walnut, pear & blue cheese on butter lettuce, but I'm
having a pear tart for dessert and I don't want to "double-dip".

What other Spring-y green salads do you make? All suggestions welcome.

I've been reading back issues of Bon Appetite since posting my other
reply in this thread and came across this recipe.

Asian Spinach Salad with Orange and Avocado
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Avocado-241325
Bon Appétit | February 2008

Makes 4 servings

ingredients
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon (generous) Asian sesame oil
1 navel orange
1 6-ounce bag baby spinach leaves
1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch wedges

preparation

Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Season to taste with salt and
pepper. Set dressing aside.

Cut off peel and white pith from orange. Cut orange into 1/3-inch
rounds; cut rounds crosswise in half. Add spinach to dressing; toss to
coat. Add avocado and orange; toss gently.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Kris wrote:

Good afternoon all,

Trying to put together my Easter dinner menu, and I'm stuck on the
salad.

Usually I do a walnut, pear & blue cheese on butter lettuce, but I'm
having a pear tart for dessert and I don't want to "double-dip".

What other Spring-y green salads do you make? All suggestions welcome.

Never made it and have no recipe, but with all this talk about blood
oranges I remembered this:

mixed greens
blood oranges, cut so you can see the color
walnuts (toasted and maybe sugared)
shaved hard cheese
dressing

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

"[Don't] assume that someone is "broken" just because they behave in ways
you don't like or don't understand." --Miche
Old 08-04-2009, 03:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Good afternoon all,

Trying to put together my Easter dinner menu, and I'm stuck on the
salad.

Usually I do a walnut, pear & blue cheese on butter lettuce, but I'm
having a pear tart for dessert and I don't want to "double-dip".

What other Spring-y green salads do you make? All suggestions welcome.

If you like blue cheese with greens, you would like the baby blue
salad, which contains baby greens, blue cheese, strawberries, orange
sections, and sweet and spicy pecans:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...pe_id=46 6956

It is such a wonderful combination of flavors and textures.

Tara

Thanks Tara. That's a keeper.

Bob
Old 08-04-2009, 03:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 6:23*pm, Kris wrote:
Good afternoon all,

Trying to put together my Easter dinner menu, and I'm stuck on the
salad.

Usually I do a walnut, pear & blue cheese on butter lettuce, but I'm
having a pear tart for dessert and I don't want to "double-dip".

What other Spring-y green salads do you make? All suggestions welcome.

Thank you,
Kris

TONS of delicious-sounding ideas! Thank you.

I may make more salads in the next weeks regardless of Easter.

Kris
Old 08-04-2009, 03:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" wrote in message
Good afternoon all,

Trying to put together my Easter dinner menu, and I'm stuck on the
salad.

Usually I do a walnut, pear & blue cheese on butter lettuce, but I'm
having a pear tart for dessert and I don't want to "double-dip".

What other Spring-y green salads do you make? All suggestions welcome.

Thank you,
Kris

I can tell you what we're having: Spring mix with baby greens, arugula,
raddichio, pea shoots, and onion shoots. One half is going to have pecans
and strawberries and feta. The other is going to have cucumber, grape
tomatoes, and jicama.

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.org

Old 08-04-2009, 03:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
Good afternoon all,

Trying to put together my Easter dinner menu, and I'm stuck on the
salad.

Usually I do a walnut, pear & blue cheese on butter lettuce, but I'm
having a pear tart for dessert and I don't want to "double-dip".

What other Spring-y green salads do you make? All suggestions welcome.

Thank you,
Kris

Romaine or baby greens
fresh strawberries
goat cheese, crumbled
blush vinaigrette dressing
toasted pecans

It's a very nice combination.

gloria p
Old 08-04-2009, 07:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 19:49:13 -0700, "Nexis" wrote:

I can tell you what we're having: Spring mix with baby greens, arugula,
raddichio, pea shoots, and onion shoots. One half is going to have pecans
and strawberries and feta. The other is going to have cucumber, grape
tomatoes, and jicama.

What are you doing for a salad dressing?