Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> "Hoges in WA" > wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Anyone have a recipe for Claypot chicken with straw mushrooms?
>>
>> Can't find anything in the alt.food.asian searches, nor anything in
>> searching back through here.
>>
>> thanks
>>

> Cut up 1 chicken, cut the breasts into thirds, place in the pot. Add
> several slices of fresh ginger, a couple scallions cut in large pieces,
> straw or black mushrooms, some salt and a drizzle of sesame oil and a few
> drops of soy sauce. Add enough chicken stock to just reach the top of the
> ingredients. Water works just fine, too. Steam over boiling water for
> about 50 minutes.

Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
[dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
diffuser).

Nowadays they're used mostly for serving the prepared dish only as
there are more convenient ways to slow cook.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
>> "Hoges in WA" > wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Anyone have a recipe for Claypot chicken with straw mushrooms?
>>>
>>> Can't find anything in the alt.food.asian searches, nor anything in
>>> searching back through here.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>

>> Cut up 1 chicken, cut the breasts into thirds, place in the pot. Add
>> several slices of fresh ginger, a couple scallions cut in large pieces,
>> straw or black mushrooms, some salt and a drizzle of sesame oil and a few
>> drops of soy sauce. Add enough chicken stock to just reach the top of
>> the
>> ingredients. Water works just fine, too. Steam over boiling water for
>> about 50 minutes.

> Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
> [dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
> diffuser).
>
> Nowadays they're used mostly for serving the prepared dish only as
> there are more convenient ways to slow cook.
>
> -sw

Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.

Moron.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote

>> Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
>> [dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
>> diffuser).
>>

> Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
> because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
> think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.

Actually Paul, I'm interested in learning more about them. I googled that
image and it was an interesting device. Looks like you fill the core with
water?

I have only vague recollections of soaking them in water or something
before use (things others have mentioned).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 1:40*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> Bullhit. *The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
> because it is meant for STEAMING. *Have you ever even seen one? *I don't
> think you have. *Googe Yunnan pot.

A regular clay pot or sand pot is just a pot, meant for slow cooking
or braising. No steam chimney. The Yunnan pot you are talking about
is a specialized design. It is, as you say, meant for steaming, (and
soup-making) but it is not what most people mean when they say "clay
pot." I'd be very surprised if the OP had a Yunnan pot. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook" wrote
>
>>> Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
>>> [dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
>>> diffuser).
>>>

>> Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
>> because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
>> think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.

> Actually Paul, I'm interested in learning more about them. I googled that
> image and it was an interesting device. Looks like you fill the core with
> water?

No, the core has an opening in the center which allows the steam to enter
the pot. You place it over a pot of boiling water. Remember that in China
they did not use ovens so they developed other cooking methods and vessels.
The Yunnan pot is a dedicated and rather ingenious steaming device.

> I have only vague recollections of soaking them in water or something
> before use (things others have mentioned).

That is not what is meant by clay pot cooking. In Chinese cuisine it refers
to a cooking method common to the Yunnan province hence the other term
Yunnan pot cooking.

It is a wonderful way to prepare chicken, beef or pork and makes for an
unexpectedly good result. And it could not be easier to do. I am ordering
a new yunnan pot after this convo made me miss the one my kitty destroyed
during her rather tumultuous kittenhood.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Apr 6, 1:40 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
> because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
> think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.

A regular clay pot or sand pot is just a pot, meant for slow cooking
or braising. No steam chimney. The Yunnan pot you are talking about
is a specialized design. It is, as you say, meant for steaming, (and
soup-making) but it is not what most people mean when they say "clay
pot." I'd be very surprised if the OP had a Yunnan pot. -aem

I beg to differ. I was turned on to clay pot cooking years ago when I went
to a Chinese restauramt and we ordered "clay pot chicken" for the table.
They brought it out in a large Yunnan pot. And on many other restaurant
menus I'd see it listed the same - clay pot chicken. Even if it was not on
the menu I discovered most restaurants will prepare it for you specially if
you ask and are willing to wait an hour for dinner.

You should give it a try, the results are really declicious. I also have
made Yunnan beef the same way. It comes out so incredibly tender and then
you have this amazing broth to go with it.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul wrote about Chinese claypots:

> The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is because it is
> meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't think you have.
> Googe Yunnan pot.
>
> Moron.

A claypot is not the same as a Yunnan pot. It doesn't have a steam chimney
in the center. Here, take a look:

http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/images/Clay-Pot-5.jpg

Have you ever seen one? I don't think you have.

Now apologize for being such a jerk.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> Cut up 1 chicken, cut the breasts into thirds, place in the pot. Add
>>> several slices of fresh ginger, a couple scallions cut in large pieces,
>>> straw or black mushrooms, some salt and a drizzle of sesame oil and a few
>>> drops of soy sauce. Add enough chicken stock to just reach the top of
>>> the
>>> ingredients. Water works just fine, too. Steam over boiling water for
>>> about 50 minutes.

>> Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
>> [dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
>> diffuser).
>>
>> Nowadays they're used mostly for serving the prepared dish only as
>> there are more convenient ways to slow cook.
>>
>> -sw

> Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
> because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
> think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.

A Yunnan (note the spelling) pot is different than a Chinese clay
pot used in the rest of China and the rest of world, for that
matter. Claypots used by the vast majority of china have solid lids
and are used in the OVEN or over a fire.

Look it up, you arrogant, ignorant ...

> Moron.

Indeed.

Maybe if he was looking for instructions for a Yunnan steam pot,
then you may have been of some use for once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_pot_cooking
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/chineseclaypots.htm

Is there anything else you'd like to me to teach you? Or will you
stomp your feet up and down insisting you're right and the rest of
world is wrong (as usual).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>
>> I have only vague recollections of soaking them in water or something
>> before use (things others have mentioned).

> That is not what is meant by clay pot cooking. In Chinese cuisine it refers
> to a cooking method common to the Yunnan province hence the other term
> Yunnan pot cooking.

You are so full of shit it's coming out of your ears.

Did you just make up all these jems of misinformation? You and
Sheldon ought to be arguing over this stuff. You could be the other
two guest 'celebrities' on the show "Liar's Club".

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Paul wrote about Chinese claypots:
>
>> The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is because it is
>> meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't think you
>> have.
>> Googe Yunnan pot.
>>
>> Moron.

> A claypot is not the same as a Yunnan pot. It doesn't have a steam chimney
> in the center. Here, take a look:
>
> http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/images/Clay-Pot-5.jpg
>
> Have you ever seen one? I don't think you have.

Looks familiar. How would you use it to cook if you had no oven? It would
work great as a cooking vessel but they didn't have ovens in China for a
couple of thousand years.

> Now apologize for being such a jerk.

Nope. Wertz shoots off his damn mouth all the damn time and he hasn't got a
clue what he's talking about. If doing a sinple Google search is too much
work he can just kiss my ass.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I have only vague recollections of soaking them in water or something
>>> before use (things others have mentioned).

>> That is not what is meant by clay pot cooking. In Chinese cuisine it
>> refers
>> to a cooking method common to the Yunnan province hence the other term
>> Yunnan pot cooking.

> You are so full of shit it's coming out of your ears.

Got the day off flaming other newsgroups, Mr. lame-ass of a thousand
aliases?

> Did you just make up all these jems of misinformation? You and
> Sheldon ought to be arguing over this stuff. You could be the other
> two guest 'celebrities' on the show "Liar's Club".

How about you go steal something out of somebody's shopping cart again to
heal your bruised ego? Loser. And learn to cook. It's not like you'll
ever have a woman to do it for you.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Swertz" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

>>> Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
>>> [dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
>>> diffuser).
>>>
>>> Nowadays they're used mostly for serving the prepared dish only as
>>> there are more convenient ways to slow cook.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
>> because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
>> think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.

> A Yunnan (note the spelling) pot is different than a Chinese clay
> pot used in the rest of China and the rest of world, for that
> matter. Claypots used by the vast majority of china have solid lids
> and are used in the OVEN or over a fire.

Yeah they had all those ovens in China all those couple thousand years.
Well I'll have you know Yunnan clay is unique and is what makes the pot able
to withstand the high heat of a fire. Google it. You might lean something.

> Look it up, you arrogant, ignorant ...
>
>> Moron.

> Indeed.

If the shoe fits, asshole.

> Maybe if he was looking for instructions for a Yunnan steam pot,
> then you may have been of some use for once.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_pot_cooking
> http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/chineseclaypots.htm

You never even heard the word until I posted. Now you're a Wiki expert.
Congrats. You wouldn't know which end of a knife to hold without Google.

> Is there anything else you'd like to me to teach you? Or will you
> stomp your feet up and down insisting you're right and the rest of
> world is wrong (as usual).

No you go right ahead and teach the world what a cool guy you are by being a
world class pain in the ass. That much you are qualified to teach.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul wrote:

>> A claypot is not the same as a Yunnan pot. It doesn't have a steam
>> chimney in the center. Here, take a look:
>>
>> http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/images/Clay-Pot-5.jpg
>>
>> Have you ever seen one? I don't think you have.

> Looks familiar. How would you use it to cook if you had no oven? It
> would work great as a cooking vessel but they didn't have ovens in China
> for a couple of thousand years.

Claypots (a.k.a. sandpots) can be used on the stovetop. The main precaution
taken when using them is not to have them abruptly transition from a hot
surface to a cold one, or vice versa.

>> Now apologize for being such a jerk.

> Nope. Wertz shoots off his damn mouth all the damn time and he hasn't got
> a clue what he's talking about. If doing a sinple Google search is too
> much work he can just kiss my ass.

But in this case, YOU are the one who failed to do a Google search, and you
were in the wrong. A Google Image search with the keywords "clay pot
chinese" didn't turn up one single instance of a Yunnan steam pot in the
first hundred hits.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Paul wrote:
>
>>> A claypot is not the same as a Yunnan pot. It doesn't have a steam
>>> chimney in the center. Here, take a look:
>>>
>>> http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/images/Clay-Pot-5.jpg
>>>
>>> Have you ever seen one? I don't think you have.

>> Looks familiar. How would you use it to cook if you had no oven? It
>> would work great as a cooking vessel but they didn't have ovens in China
>> for a couple of thousand years.

> Claypots (a.k.a. sandpots) can be used on the stovetop. The main
> precaution
> taken when using them is not to have them abruptly transition from a hot
> surface to a cold one, or vice versa.
>

>>> Now apologize for being such a jerk.

>> Nope. Wertz shoots off his damn mouth all the damn time and he hasn't
>> got
>> a clue what he's talking about. If doing a sinple Google search is too
>> much work he can just kiss my ass.

> But in this case, YOU are the one who failed to do a Google search, and
> you
> were in the wrong. A Google Image search with the keywords "clay pot
> chinese" didn't turn up one single instance of a Yunnan steam pot in the
> first hundred hits.

I did a Google search on Yunnan pot and came up with hundreds of referneces
for "clay pot cooking." Pictures too. Many of them Yunnan pots. The
sandpot is a different animal and is soaked in water to saturate the clay
then buried in fire embers and ashes from what I learned. Which is not what
the OP seemed to be referring to. And in doing my pre-post research I found
this awesome potter who makes them to order. So I bought one and also
tagine. I am dying to make Moroccon food next.

So yeah, I did learn a thing before I posted. Unlike sqwerts.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul wrote:

> Well I'll have you know Yunnan clay is unique and is what makes the pot
> able to withstand the high heat of a fire. Google it. You might lean
> something.

I know you really want to prove your point, but you're digging yourself in
deeper and deeper. Yunnan clay is not at all unique in its ability to
withstand the high heat of a fire. The term potters use for clay vessels
made to withstand stovetop temperatures is "flameware." Flameware can be
made from quite a few different clays. Do you believe that in making
tagines, Moroccans all got their clay from Yunnan?

(I got an education in this subject last December. My brother-in-law is a
potter, and I told my sister that I wanted to commission a tagine from him.
She provided a detailed explanation of how flameware is made, and why my
brother-in-law's studio couldn't make flameware with the high-firing kiln
they have.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Paul wrote:
>
>> Well I'll have you know Yunnan clay is unique and is what makes the pot
>> able to withstand the high heat of a fire. Google it. You might lean
>> something.

> I know you really want to prove your point, but you're digging yourself in
> deeper and deeper. Yunnan clay is not at all unique in its ability to
> withstand the high heat of a fire. The term potters use for clay vessels
> made to withstand stovetop temperatures is "flameware." Flameware can be
> made from quite a few different clays. Do you believe that in making
> tagines, Moroccans all got their clay from Yunnan?

I was simply making an observation that I learned when I supposedly didn't
bother to do a little research. Some sites described the unique nature of
Yunnan province clay and they said it had superior heat capabilites - I
assume they meant China and not the planet. Apparently Morocco has some
special clays too. And they said this is why the term Yunnan pot cooking
was coined because it as mostly used in Yunnan province where the clay was
obtained. I have some terra cotta cookware already and I know it can be put
in the oven to 375F. Lots of clays can take heat but few can take direct
flame. That's what I learned. Alton Brown made a rib roast in a flower
planter. Certainly burying a clay pot in a fire is a lot hotter than an
oven, though.

> (I got an education in this subject last December. My brother-in-law is a
> potter, and I told my sister that I wanted to commission a tagine from
> him.
> She provided a detailed explanation of how flameware is made, and why my
> brother-in-law's studio couldn't make flameware with the high-firing kiln
> they have.)

The web site I found described the whole process. She makes a lot of clay
cookware. She will make me a tagine and it didn't seem a big deal. It's
going to be expensive I'm sure when I get the final price, but it will be a
thing of beauty I can cook with.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwartz" wrote

> Did you just make up all these jems of misinformation? You and
> Sheldon ought to be arguing over this stuff.

The sqwartz dwarf is the gnome of misinformation.

You musta been thinking "jews"... it's *gems*... you dyslexic idiot!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 11:20*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>> A regular clay pot or sand pot is just a pot, meant for slow cooking
>> or braising. *No steam chimney. *The Yunnan pot you are talking about
>> is a specialized design. *It is, as you say, meant for steaming, (and
>> soup-making) but it is not what most people mean when they say "clay
>> pot." *I'd be very surprised if the OP had a Yunnan pot. * * -aem

> I beg to differ.

The OP is probably afraid to say, not wanting to intrude into your
little war with sw.

>*I was turned on to clay pot cooking years ago when I went
> to a Chinese restauramt and we ordered "clay pot chicken" for the table.
> They brought it out in a large Yunnan pot.

Then their menu was wrong for not specifying what they meant.

>*And on many other restaurant
> menus I'd see it listed the same - clay pot chicken.

But you don't know whether they meant clay pot or Yunnan pot because
you didn't order it. You just erroneously assumed.....

> You should give it a try, the results are really declicious. *I also have
> made Yunnan beef the same way. *It comes out so incredibly tender and then
> you have this amazing broth to go with it.

No one has argued that Yunnan steam pot dishes are not delicious.
I've had them many times, though not as often as clay pot cooking,
which is very common in this house. It's just a nomenclature
argument, just trivial enough for you guys to get all exercised
about. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Apr 6, 11:20 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>> A regular clay pot or sand pot is just a pot, meant for slow cooking
>> or braising. No steam chimney. The Yunnan pot you are talking about
>> is a specialized design. It is, as you say, meant for steaming, (and
>> soup-making) but it is not what most people mean when they say "clay
>> pot." I'd be very surprised if the OP had a Yunnan pot. -aem

> I beg to differ.

>>The OP is probably afraid to say, not wanting to intrude into your
>>little war with sw.

Th OP probably was sqwertie. Trolls can take human form.

> I was turned on to clay pot cooking years ago when I went
> to a Chinese restauramt and we ordered "clay pot chicken" for the table.
> They brought it out in a large Yunnan pot.

>>Then their menu was wrong for not specifying what they meant.

Yeah and all the others as well. Must be a California thing - we have so
few Asians here.

> And on many other restaurant
> menus I'd see it listed the same - clay pot chicken.

But you don't know whether they meant clay pot or Yunnan pot because
you didn't order it. You just erroneously assumed.....

> You should give it a try, the results are really declicious. I also have
> made Yunnan beef the same way. It comes out so incredibly tender and then
> you have this amazing broth to go with it.

No one has argued that Yunnan steam pot dishes are not delicious.
I've had them many times, though not as often as clay pot cooking,
which is very common in this house. It's just a nomenclature
argument, just trivial enough for you guys to get all exercised
about. -aem

Some of us take our trivia very seriously.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> No you go right ahead and teach the world what a cool guy you are by being a
> world class pain in the ass. That much you are qualified to teach.

The only reason I'm a a PITA is because you keep losing these arguments
with me. Has anybody ever called you a narcissist?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:28:17 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> No you go right ahead and teach the world what a cool guy you are by being a
>> world class pain in the ass. That much you are qualified to teach.

> The only reason I'm a a PITA is because you keep losing these arguments
> with me. Has anybody ever called you a narcissist?
>
> -sw

i'm too good-looking to be a narcissist .

your pal,
blake