A Food and drink forum. FoodBanter.com

Welcome to FoodBanter.com forums which provide access to the finest food and drink related newsgroups.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most newsgroup discussions and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics to the food related newsgroups, communicate privately with other FoodBanter.com members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   Home » FoodBanter.com forum » Food and Cooking » General Cooking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken


« Mohammed | Photos »

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 23,433
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
...
Hi

Anyone have a recipe for Claypot chicken with straw mushrooms?

Can't find anything in the alt.food.asian searches, nor anything in
searching back through here.

thanks


Cut up 1 chicken, cut the breasts into thirds, place in the pot. Add
several slices of fresh ginger, a couple scallions cut in large pieces,
straw or black mushrooms, some salt and a drizzle of sesame oil and a few
drops of soy sauce. Add enough chicken stock to just reach the top of the
ingredients. Water works just fine, too. Steam over boiling water for
about 50 minutes.


Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
[dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
diffuser).

Nowadays they're used mostly for serving the prepared dish only as
there are more convenient ways to slow cook.

-sw
Ads
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2009, 09:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,017
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken


"Sqwertz" wrote in message
...
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
...
Hi

Anyone have a recipe for Claypot chicken with straw mushrooms?

Can't find anything in the alt.food.asian searches, nor anything in
searching back through here.

thanks


Cut up 1 chicken, cut the breasts into thirds, place in the pot. Add
several slices of fresh ginger, a couple scallions cut in large pieces,
straw or black mushrooms, some salt and a drizzle of sesame oil and a few
drops of soy sauce. Add enough chicken stock to just reach the top of
the
ingredients. Water works just fine, too. Steam over boiling water for
about 50 minutes.


Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
[dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
diffuser).

Nowadays they're used mostly for serving the prepared dish only as
there are more convenient ways to slow cook.

-sw


Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.

Moron.

Paul


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2009, 04:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,282
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

"Paul M. Cook" wrote

Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
[dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
diffuser).

Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.


Actually Paul, I'm interested in learning more about them. I googled that
image and it was an interesting device. Looks like you fill the core with
water?

I have only vague recollections of soaking them in water or something
before use (things others have mentioned).


  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2009, 05:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 164
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

On Apr 6, 1:40*am, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:

Bullhit. *The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
because it is meant for STEAMING. *Have you ever even seen one? *I don't
think you have. *Googe Yunnan pot.

A regular clay pot or sand pot is just a pot, meant for slow cooking
or braising. No steam chimney. The Yunnan pot you are talking about
is a specialized design. It is, as you say, meant for steaming, (and
soup-making) but it is not what most people mean when they say "clay
pot." I'd be very surprised if the OP had a Yunnan pot. -aem
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,017
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken


"cshenk" wrote in message
...
"Paul M. Cook" wrote

Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
[dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
diffuser).

Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.


Actually Paul, I'm interested in learning more about them. I googled that
image and it was an interesting device. Looks like you fill the core with
water?


No, the core has an opening in the center which allows the steam to enter
the pot. You place it over a pot of boiling water. Remember that in China
they did not use ovens so they developed other cooking methods and vessels.
The Yunnan pot is a dedicated and rather ingenious steaming device.

I have only vague recollections of soaking them in water or something
before use (things others have mentioned).


That is not what is meant by clay pot cooking. In Chinese cuisine it refers
to a cooking method common to the Yunnan province hence the other term
Yunnan pot cooking.

It is a wonderful way to prepare chicken, beef or pork and makes for an
unexpectedly good result. And it could not be easier to do. I am ordering
a new yunnan pot after this convo made me miss the one my kitty destroyed
during her rather tumultuous kittenhood.

Paul


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2009, 07:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,017
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken


wrote in message
...
On Apr 6, 1:40 am, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:

Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.

A regular clay pot or sand pot is just a pot, meant for slow cooking
or braising. No steam chimney. The Yunnan pot you are talking about
is a specialized design. It is, as you say, meant for steaming, (and
soup-making) but it is not what most people mean when they say "clay
pot." I'd be very surprised if the OP had a Yunnan pot. -aem

I beg to differ. I was turned on to clay pot cooking years ago when I went
to a Chinese restauramt and we ordered "clay pot chicken" for the table.
They brought it out in a large Yunnan pot. And on many other restaurant
menus I'd see it listed the same - clay pot chicken. Even if it was not on
the menu I discovered most restaurants will prepare it for you specially if
you ask and are willing to wait an hour for dinner.

You should give it a try, the results are really declicious. I also have
made Yunnan beef the same way. It comes out so incredibly tender and then
you have this amazing broth to go with it.

Paul


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,042
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

Paul wrote about Chinese claypots:

The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is because it is
meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't think you have.
Googe Yunnan pot.

Moron.


A claypot is not the same as a Yunnan pot. It doesn't have a steam chimney
in the center. Here, take a look:

http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/images/Clay-Pot-5.jpg

Have you ever seen one? I don't think you have.

Now apologize for being such a jerk.

Bob



  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2009, 03:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
...
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
...
Hi

Anyone have a recipe for Claypot chicken with straw mushrooms?

Can't find anything in the alt.food.asian searches, nor anything in
searching back through here.

thanks


Cut up 1 chicken, cut the breasts into thirds, place in the pot. Add
several slices of fresh ginger, a couple scallions cut in large pieces,
straw or black mushrooms, some salt and a drizzle of sesame oil and a few
drops of soy sauce. Add enough chicken stock to just reach the top of
the
ingredients. Water works just fine, too. Steam over boiling water for
about 50 minutes.


Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
[dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
diffuser).

Nowadays they're used mostly for serving the prepared dish only as
there are more convenient ways to slow cook.

-sw


Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.


A Yunnan (note the spelling) pot is different than a Chinese clay
pot used in the rest of China and the rest of world, for that
matter. Claypots used by the vast majority of china have solid lids
and are used in the OVEN or over a fire.

Look it up, you arrogant, ignorant ...

Moron.


Indeed.

Maybe if he was looking for instructions for a Yunnan steam pot,
then you may have been of some use for once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_pot_cooking
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/chineseclaypots.htm

Is there anything else you'd like to me to teach you? Or will you
stomp your feet up and down insisting you're right and the rest of
world is wrong (as usual).

-sw
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2009, 04:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 23,433
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
...

I have only vague recollections of soaking them in water or something
before use (things others have mentioned).


That is not what is meant by clay pot cooking. In Chinese cuisine it refers
to a cooking method common to the Yunnan province hence the other term
Yunnan pot cooking.


You are so full of shit it's coming out of your ears.

Did you just make up all these jems of misinformation? You and
Sheldon ought to be arguing over this stuff. You could be the other
two guest 'celebrities' on the show "Liar's Club".

-sw
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2009, 04:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,017
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken


"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
...
Paul wrote about Chinese claypots:

The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is because it is
meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't think you
have.
Googe Yunnan pot.

Moron.


A claypot is not the same as a Yunnan pot. It doesn't have a steam chimney
in the center. Here, take a look:

http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/images/Clay-Pot-5.jpg

Have you ever seen one? I don't think you have.


Looks familiar. How would you use it to cook if you had no oven? It would
work great as a cooking vessel but they didn't have ovens in China for a
couple of thousand years.

Now apologize for being such a jerk.


Nope. Wertz shoots off his damn mouth all the damn time and he hasn't got a
clue what he's talking about. If doing a sinple Google search is too much
work he can just kiss my ass.

Paul


  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2009, 04:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,017
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken


"Sqwertz" wrote in message
...
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
...

I have only vague recollections of soaking them in water or something
before use (things others have mentioned).


That is not what is meant by clay pot cooking. In Chinese cuisine it
refers
to a cooking method common to the Yunnan province hence the other term
Yunnan pot cooking.


You are so full of shit it's coming out of your ears.


Got the day off flaming other newsgroups, Mr. lame-ass of a thousand
aliases?

Did you just make up all these jems of misinformation? You and
Sheldon ought to be arguing over this stuff. You could be the other
two guest 'celebrities' on the show "Liar's Club".


How about you go steal something out of somebody's shopping cart again to
heal your bruised ego? Loser. And learn to cook. It's not like you'll
ever have a woman to do it for you.

Paul


  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2009, 04:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,017
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken


"Swertz" wrote in message
...
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
...
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
...
Hi

Anyone have a recipe for Claypot chicken with straw mushrooms?

Can't find anything in the alt.food.asian searches, nor anything in
searching back through here.

thanks


Cut up 1 chicken, cut the breasts into thirds, place in the pot. Add
several slices of fresh ginger, a couple scallions cut in large pieces,
straw or black mushrooms, some salt and a drizzle of sesame oil and a
few
drops of soy sauce. Add enough chicken stock to just reach the top of
the
ingredients. Water works just fine, too. Steam over boiling water for
about 50 minutes.

Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
[dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
diffuser).

Nowadays they're used mostly for serving the prepared dish only as
there are more convenient ways to slow cook.

-sw


Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.


A Yunnan (note the spelling) pot is different than a Chinese clay
pot used in the rest of China and the rest of world, for that
matter. Claypots used by the vast majority of china have solid lids
and are used in the OVEN or over a fire.


Yeah they had all those ovens in China all those couple thousand years.
Well I'll have you know Yunnan clay is unique and is what makes the pot able
to withstand the high heat of a fire. Google it. You might lean something.

Look it up, you arrogant, ignorant ...

Moron.


Indeed.


If the shoe fits, asshole.


Maybe if he was looking for instructions for a Yunnan steam pot,
then you may have been of some use for once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_pot_cooking
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/chineseclaypots.htm


You never even heard the word until I posted. Now you're a Wiki expert.
Congrats. You wouldn't know which end of a knife to hold without Google.

Is there anything else you'd like to me to teach you? Or will you
stomp your feet up and down insisting you're right and the rest of
world is wrong (as usual).


No you go right ahead and teach the world what a cool guy you are by being a
world class pain in the ass. That much you are qualified to teach.

Paul


  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2009, 04:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,042
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

Paul wrote:

A claypot is not the same as a Yunnan pot. It doesn't have a steam
chimney in the center. Here, take a look:

http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/images/Clay-Pot-5.jpg

Have you ever seen one? I don't think you have.


Looks familiar. How would you use it to cook if you had no oven? It
would work great as a cooking vessel but they didn't have ovens in China
for a couple of thousand years.


Claypots (a.k.a. sandpots) can be used on the stovetop. The main precaution
taken when using them is not to have them abruptly transition from a hot
surface to a cold one, or vice versa.


Now apologize for being such a jerk.


Nope. Wertz shoots off his damn mouth all the damn time and he hasn't got
a clue what he's talking about. If doing a sinple Google search is too
much work he can just kiss my ass.


But in this case, YOU are the one who failed to do a Google search, and you
were in the wrong. A Google Image search with the keywords "clay pot
chinese" didn't turn up one single instance of a Yunnan steam pot in the
first hundred hits.

Bob



  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2009, 05:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,017
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken


"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
...
Paul wrote:

A claypot is not the same as a Yunnan pot. It doesn't have a steam
chimney in the center. Here, take a look:

http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/images/Clay-Pot-5.jpg

Have you ever seen one? I don't think you have.


Looks familiar. How would you use it to cook if you had no oven? It
would work great as a cooking vessel but they didn't have ovens in China
for a couple of thousand years.


Claypots (a.k.a. sandpots) can be used on the stovetop. The main
precaution
taken when using them is not to have them abruptly transition from a hot
surface to a cold one, or vice versa.


Now apologize for being such a jerk.


Nope. Wertz shoots off his damn mouth all the damn time and he hasn't
got
a clue what he's talking about. If doing a sinple Google search is too
much work he can just kiss my ass.


But in this case, YOU are the one who failed to do a Google search, and
you
were in the wrong. A Google Image search with the keywords "clay pot
chinese" didn't turn up one single instance of a Yunnan steam pot in the
first hundred hits.



I did a Google search on Yunnan pot and came up with hundreds of referneces
for "clay pot cooking." Pictures too. Many of them Yunnan pots. The
sandpot is a different animal and is soaked in water to saturate the clay
then buried in fire embers and ashes from what I learned. Which is not what
the OP seemed to be referring to. And in doing my pre-post research I found
this awesome potter who makes them to order. So I bought one and also
tagine. I am dying to make Moroccon food next.

So yeah, I did learn a thing before I posted. Unlike sqwerts.

Paul


  #15 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2009, 05:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,042
Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

Paul wrote:

Well I'll have you know Yunnan clay is unique and is what makes the pot
able to withstand the high heat of a fire. Google it. You might lean
something.


I know you really want to prove your point, but you're digging yourself in
deeper and deeper. Yunnan clay is not at all unique in its ability to
withstand the high heat of a fire. The term potters use for clay vessels
made to withstand stovetop temperatures is "flameware." Flameware can be
made from quite a few different clays. Do you believe that in making
tagines, Moroccans all got their clay from Yunnan?

(I got an education in this subject last December. My brother-in-law is a
potter, and I told my sister that I wanted to commission a tagine from him.
She provided a detailed explanation of how flameware is made, and why my
brother-in-law's studio couldn't make flameware with the high-firing kiln
they have.)

Bob



 



« Mohammed | Photos »

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2004-2014 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.