FoodBanter.com

-   -   What's a substitute for Pernod? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/170381-whats-substitute-pernod.html)

Victor Sack[_1_] 02-04-2009 10:54 PM

Kris > wrote:

> I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.
>
> I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
> What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

Many kinds of liquour are marketed under the name Pernod. I suspect you
have pastis in mind. It is an anise- (or nowadays star anise) flavoured
aperitif-type liquor, which was developed to replace absinthe after it
was outlawed in France. There are many pastis brands, Pernod being just
one of them (and Pernod now produces absinthe again). There is also
Ricard (which belongs to Pernod, too, being a part of the Pernod-Ricard
conglomerate), Janot, Casanis, Duval, Anilou, etc. Pastis, in France at
least, is usually not very expensive, being a "common man" drink.

Pastis can be possibly substituted by another anise-flavoured liquor,
such as the Arabic arak, the Turkish raki, the greek ouzo and, yes,
possibly even by sambuca. Sambuca, though, is usually sweetened, so
would probably lend itself to sweet recipes only.

Victor
who can't stand anything anise-flavoured

Kris[_1_] 02-04-2009 11:56 PM

What's a substitute for Pernod?

Good evening all,

I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.

I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

Thanks for any help,

Kris

Dave Smith[_1_] 03-04-2009 12:00 AM

Kris wrote:
> Good evening all,
>
> I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.
>
> I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
> What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

For that small amount you could probably get away with a bit of Ouzo or
Pastisse, but if you don't have Pernod or Sambuca you probably would not
have those either. You could try a small pinch of anise with brandy,
white rum or vodka.

Kris[_1_] 03-04-2009 12:06 AM

On Apr 2, 7:00*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Kris wrote:
> > Good evening all,

> > I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.

> > I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
> > What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

> For that small amount you could probably get away with a bit of Ouzo or
> Pastisse, but if you don't have Pernod or Sambuca you probably would not
> have those either. You could try a small pinch of anise with brandy,
> white rum or vodka.

I have anise seed. Do you think steeping vodka with some of that would
work?

Kris

Mark P. Nelson[_2_] 03-04-2009 12:07 AM

What's a substitute for Pernod?

Kris > wrote in news:3585dc72-87c2-4451-a370-
:

> Good evening all,
>
> I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.
>
> I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
> What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Kris

If you're near Oakland, California, I could give you a spoonful. Otherwise,
I'd suggest grinding a little star anise and adding some neat vodka.

Mark.

--
Verbing weirds language--Calvin

merryb 03-04-2009 12:09 AM

On Apr 2, 4:06*pm, Kris > wrote:
> On Apr 2, 7:00*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > Kris wrote:
> > > Good evening all,

> > > I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.

> > > I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
> > > What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

> > For that small amount you could probably get away with a bit of Ouzo or
> > Pastisse, but if you don't have Pernod or Sambuca you probably would not
> > have those either. You could try a small pinch of anise with brandy,
> > white rum or vodka.

> I have anise seed. Do you think steeping vodka with some of that would
> work?
>
> Kris

I think that might work okay...

Dave Smith[_1_] 03-04-2009 01:04 AM

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Kris wrote:
>> Good evening all,
>>
>> I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.
>>
>> I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
>> What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

> Pernod itself was developed as a mock absinthe.

It was not a mock absinthe. Pernod was the most popular brand of that
type of liquor. It had a high alcohol content and had the added kick of
the wormwood. When absinthe was banned it re-emerged as pastis. a lower
alcohol spirit but without the wormwood. It is very popular all around
the Mediterranean and especially in France.

Mr. Bill[_2_] 03-04-2009 01:08 AM

What's a substitute for Pernod?

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:06:19 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>I have anise seed. Do you think steeping vodka with some of that would
>work?

They might be usable in six to eight weeks...but the Pernod is needed
soon!

Stop and think about it....how many recipes have you run across that
required Pernod? I probably would skip the recipe and go on to
something more palatable.

Mr. Bill[_2_] 03-04-2009 01:11 AM

What's a substitute for Pernod?

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:43:57 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Not that you're likely to have an open bottle of absinthe
>in the house . . .

Wasn't that banned for sale? Think I remember reading something
about that.

....from Wikapedia

The chemical thujone, present in small quantities, was singled out and
blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been
banned in the United States and in most European countries except the
United Kingdom, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and the
Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Dave Smith[_1_] 03-04-2009 01:17 AM

Mr. Bill wrote:

> The chemical thujone, present in small quantities, was singled out and
> blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been
> banned in the United States and in most European countries except the
> United Kingdom, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and the
> Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Absinthe is legal in a lot of places now, including the US. My son and
his friends used to order it by mail from the Czech Republic moe than 10
years ago.

Mark Thorson 03-04-2009 01:43 AM

Janet Wilder[_1_] 03-04-2009 02:16 AM

Dave Smith wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Kris wrote:
>>> Good evening all,
>>>
>>> I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.
>>>
>>> I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
>>> What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

>> Pernod itself was developed as a mock absinthe.

> It was not a mock absinthe. Pernod was the most popular brand of that
> type of liquor. It had a high alcohol content and had the added kick of
> the wormwood. When absinthe was banned it re-emerged as pastis. a lower
> alcohol spirit but without the wormwood. It is very popular all around
> the Mediterranean and especially in France.

I had Pastis in Paris last Fall. It was wonderful. I have scoured the
local liquor stores and no one seems to have it. I looked on the cruise
ship in February but they didn't have it either. It seems to be a
novelty liquor here. I guess I can live without it. <g>

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas

Dave Smith[_1_] 03-04-2009 04:09 AM

Janet Wilder wrote:

>> It was not a mock absinthe. Pernod was the most popular brand of that
>> type of liquor. It had a high alcohol content and had the added kick
>> of the wormwood. When absinthe was banned it re-emerged as pastis. a
>> lower alcohol spirit but without the wormwood. It is very popular all
>> around the Mediterranean and especially in France.
>>

> I had Pastis in Paris last Fall. It was wonderful. I have scoured the
> local liquor stores and no one seems to have it. I looked on the cruise
> ship in February but they didn't have it either. It seems to be a
> novelty liquor here. I guess I can live without it. <g>

You can get it in any liquor store around here. I always have some on
hand. A little pastis is a nice touch to flambee shrimp. It is also a
nice drink on a hot summer day, but be careful. That stuff is potent.

Paco[_5_] 03-04-2009 06:01 AM

"Kris" > wrote in message
> Good evening all,
>
> I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.
>
> I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
> What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Kris

Many liquor stores (package stores, agencies, etc.) carry "airline"
bottles, about a shot's worth. Great for cooking with. I've been using
them for a few years now; they cost a little bit more, per unit measure, but
better than buying booze that's not going to get consumed in a reasonable
amount of time. Also started buying those 4-packs of wine for cooking, as
we're not big wine drinkers.

Steve Pope 03-04-2009 06:31 AM

Paco > wrote:

> Many liquor stores (package stores, agencies, etc.) carry "airline"
> bottles, about a shot's worth. Great for cooking with. I've been using
> them for a few years now; they cost a little bit more, per unit measure, but
> better than buying booze that's not going to get consumed in a reasonable
> amount of time.

I buy a few when I go to see a local comedy show, Ask Dr. Hal at
Chicken House in the mission. They'd let you take a full-size bottle
in, but somehow the miniature seem more a-pro-pro.

There was no Night Train at the nearest corner store.
That would be appropriate too.

S.

Mr. Bill[_2_] 03-04-2009 12:22 PM

What's a substitute for Pernod?

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:17:21 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Absinthe is legal in a lot of places now, including the US. My son and
>his friends used to order it by mail from the Czech Republic moe than 10
>years ago.

What made it so harmful and a banned substance? All I have ever
learned is that it made you crazy. Most liquor does that to lots of
people!!

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 03-04-2009 01:31 PM

Mr. Bill wrote about absinthe:

> What made it so harmful and a banned substance? All I have ever
> learned is that it made you crazy. Most liquor does that to lots of
> people!!

Especially in Moonshine Country where you live, isn't that right,
Hill-Billy?

Bob (!!)

ViLco 03-04-2009 02:39 PM

Victor Sack wrote:

>> I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.
>> I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
>> What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

> Many kinds of liquour are marketed under the name Pernod. I suspect
> you have pastis in mind. It is an anise- (or nowadays star anise)
> flavoured aperitif-type liquor, which was developed to replace
> absinthe after it was outlawed in France. There are many pastis
> Victor
> who can't stand anything anise-flavoured

Me too, even a single anise seed or petal in a huge roast would put me off
at the first bite, if not at the first smell. But, incredibly, I like both
Pastis and Sambuca. Don't ask me why ;)
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Kris[_1_] 03-04-2009 03:42 PM

On Apr 2, 8:08*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:06:19 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> >I have anise seed. Do you think steeping vodka with some of that would
> >work?

> They might be usable in six to eight weeks...but the Pernod is needed
> soon! * *
>
> Stop and think about it....how many recipes have you run across that
> required Pernod? * *I probably would skip the recipe and go on to
> something more palatable. *

But it looks so good I have to try! I may get Ouzo or call around to
find the airline sized bottle.

Last resort is steeping the vodka. I have both anise seed and star
anise - which do you think would work better?

Thanks again,
Kris

Dave Smith[_1_] 03-04-2009 04:08 PM

Mr. Bill wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:17:21 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Absinthe is legal in a lot of places now, including the US. My son and
>> his friends used to order it by mail from the Czech Republic moe than 10
>> years ago.

> What made it so harmful and a banned substance? All I have ever
> learned is that it made you crazy. Most liquor does that to lots of
> people!!

Thujone from the wormwood was the substance that was blamed for the
absinthe problems, though it was just as likely to be the high alcohol
content. There was also the influence of the wine producers and the
prohibitionists.

htn963[_2_] 03-04-2009 04:59 PM

On Apr 3, 4:22*am, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:17:21 -0400, Dave Smith
>
> > wrote:
> >Absinthe is legal in a lot of places now, including the US. My son and
> >his friends used to order it by mail from the Czech Republic moe than 10
> >years ago.

> What made it so harmful and a banned substance? * *All I have ever
> learned is that it made you crazy. * *Most liquor does that to lots of
> people!!

I've tried it recently and found it's got quite a kick -- more so than
any other liquors of comparable alcohol content -- even when mixed
with water and a cube of sugar (the traditional way to drink it). The
buzz it produces is different (hard to describe) from the buzz of
other drinks. It may be that Thujone combines with the regular
alcohol to create some synergistic effects.

But it tastes like licorice (a flavor I detest) so I'm in no danger of
becoming addicted to it.

--
Ht

Mark Thorson 03-04-2009 06:29 PM

Dave Smith wrote:

> Mr. Bill wrote:
>
> > The chemical thujone, present in small quantities, was singled out and
> > blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been
> > banned in the United States and in most European countries except the
> > United Kingdom, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and the
> > Austro-Hungarian Empire.

> Absinthe is legal in a lot of places now, including the US. My son and
> his friends used to order it by mail from the Czech Republic moe than 10
> years ago.

For more information about getting absinthe, see:

http://www.feeverte.net/faq.html

brooklyn1 03-04-2009 06:39 PM

Kris > wrote:

> I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.
>
> I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
> What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

Without knowing what recipe all anyone can offer is wild speculation.

I'm pretty certain that a couple three black jelly beans will work
perfectly.

Of course me, I'm cheap drunk too, I'd pick up a bottle of Ouzo.

This is my kind of descriptive:
http://www.alcoholreviews.com/SPIRIT...laussouzo.html

sueb 03-04-2009 07:11 PM

On Apr 3, 7:42*am, Kris > wrote:
> On Apr 2, 8:08*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:06:19 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> > wrote:

> > >I have anise seed. Do you think steeping vodka with some of that would
> > >work?

> > They might be usable in six to eight weeks...but the Pernod is needed
> > soon! * *

> > Stop and think about it....how many recipes have you run across that
> > required Pernod? * *I probably would skip the recipe and go on to
> > something more palatable. *

> But it looks so good I have to try! I may get Ouzo or call around to
> find the airline sized bottle.
>
> Last resort is steeping the vodka. I have both anise seed and star
> anise - which do you think would work better?
>
> Thanks again,
> Kris

They carry a wide assortment of airline sized bottles at my local Bev
Mo store. I get liquors there at Xmas time to make truffles. I think
Pernod would be the type of thing they would have.

Susan B.

Mr. Bill[_2_] 03-04-2009 07:20 PM

What's a substitute for Pernod?

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 07:42:18 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>But it looks so good I have to try! I may get Ouzo or call around to
>find the airline sized bottle.

That will be easy to find!! Now, are you going to post the
recipe????

Dave Smith[_1_] 03-04-2009 07:33 PM

htn963 wrote:

>>> Absinthe is legal in a lot of places now, including the US. My son and
>>> his friends used to order it by mail from the Czech Republic moe than 10
>>> years ago.

>> What made it so harmful and a banned substance? All I have ever
>> learned is that it made you crazy. Most liquor does that to lots of
>> people!!

> I've tried it recently and found it's got quite a kick -- more so than
> any other liquors of comparable alcohol content -- even when mixed
> with water and a cube of sugar (the traditional way to drink it). The
> buzz it produces is different (hard to describe) from the buzz of
> other drinks. It may be that Thujone combines with the regular
> alcohol to create some synergistic effects.
>
> But it tastes like licorice (a flavor I detest) so I'm in no danger of
> becoming addicted to it.

I don't find the anise taste overpowering, and I don't mind a drink or
two of absinthe or pastis once in a while. I usually find that it numbs
my taste buds.

I confess to previously being naive about the potency of Pernod. I had a
bottle that I had been been using in small amounts to flambe shrimp.
One hot summer I decided to try it as a drink. It went down well. I had
another and another, and maybe a few more. I should have known that
anything that could be used for a flambe would be potent. It snuck up on
me with a powerful kick.

Kris[_1_] 03-04-2009 09:00 PM

On Apr 3, 2:20*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 07:42:18 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> >But it looks so good I have to try! I may get Ouzo or call around to
> >find the airline sized bottle.

> That will be easy to find!! * Now, are you going to post the
> recipe????

Oh, oh, sorry! I KNEW I should've just put this on earlier. Sorry for
the delay:

Bay Scallop Gratin (from Barefoot Contessa) - Makes 3 gratins

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 medium shallots, minced
1 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto di Parma, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoons Pernod
1 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1/4 cup panko
3 tablespoons dry white wine
1 pound fresh bay scallops
Lemon, for finishing

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place 6 (6-inch round) gratin
dishes on a sheet pan.

To make the topping, place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer
fitted with the paddle attachment (you can also use a hand mixer).
With the mixer on low speed, add the garlic, shallot, prosciutto,
parsley, lemon juice, Pernod, salt, and pepper and mix until combined.
With the mixer still on low, add the olive oil slowly as though making
mayonnaise, until combined. Fold the panko in with a rubber spatula
and set aside.

Preheat the broiler.

Place 1 tablespoon of the wine in the bottom of each gratin dish. With
a small sharp knife, remove the white muscle and membrane from the
side of each scallop and discard. Pat the scallops dry with paper
towels and distribute them among the 3 dishes. Spoon the garlic butter
evenly over the top of the scallops. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until
the topping is golden and sizzling and the scallops are barely done.
If you want the top crustier, place the dishes under the broiler for 2
minutes, until browned. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and
a sprinkling of chopped parsley and serve immediately with crusty
French bread.

Enjoy,
Kris

Mr. Bill[_2_] 03-04-2009 09:20 PM

What's a substitute for Pernod?

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 13:00:45 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>Bay Scallop Gratin (from Barefoot Contessa)

That SAID it ALL!! Ina has taught me more than any chef. Actually, I
have made some of her recipes that come out better than the TV show,
Back to Basics. I love that cookbook!

Kris[_1_] 03-04-2009 10:10 PM

On Apr 3, 4:20*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 13:00:45 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> >Bay Scallop Gratin (from Barefoot Contessa)

> That SAID it ALL!! * Ina has taught me more than any chef. Actually, I
> have made some of her recipes that come out better than the TV show,
> Back to Basics. * * I love that cookbook! *

Yep, that whole cookbook is great,isn't it? Ina's stuff always turns
out great, IMHO.

I've been in a Barefoot Contessa mode lately, actually. Made her
Parmesan Chicken, Taboulleh (sp?) with Chicken, and her Banana Sour
Cream Pancakes in the last 10 days or so. All excellent.

Kris

Wim van Bemmel 03-04-2009 10:12 PM

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:16:47 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>> Mark Thorson wrote:

>>> Pernod itself was developed as a mock absinthe.

>> It was not a mock absinthe. Pernod was the most popular brand of that
>> type of liquor. It had a high alcohol content and had the added kick of
>> the wormwood. When absinthe was banned it re-emerged as pastis. a lower
>> alcohol spirit but without the wormwood. It is very popular all around
>> the Mediterranean and especially in France.
>>

> I had Pastis in Paris last Fall. It was wonderful. I have scoured the
> local liquor stores and no one seems to have it. I looked on the cruise
> ship in February but they didn't have it either. It seems to be a
> novelty liquor here. I guess I can live without it. <g>

In the French cafés here, (Provençe) there are at least 5 varieties of
that drink: Pernod, Pastis, Casanis, 51, Ricard. Plus some local specials.
It is strong, 45%, but is consumed diluted 5 times at least.
If used in a recipe, a few drops should do. It is strongly flavored.
Especially in a concoction, you should not notice the difference between
the brands. Though, some French have a different opinion..
--
Groet, salut, Wim.

Mr. Bill[_2_] 03-04-2009 10:20 PM

What's a substitute for Pernod?

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 14:10:46 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>I've been in a Barefoot Contessa mode lately, actually. Made her
>Parmesan Chicken, Taboulleh (sp?) with Chicken, and her Banana Sour
>Cream Pancakes in the last 10 days or so. All excellent.

We have had the Mustard Roasted Red Snapper, Dill fingerling potatoes,
the Easy Cheese Danish, Banana Crunch muffins, (didn't care for her
version), Tarragon Chicken salad, you get the idea!

Jean B.[_1_] 03-04-2009 11:20 PM

Mr. Bill wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 14:10:46 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
>> I've been in a Barefoot Contessa mode lately, actually. Made her
>> Parmesan Chicken, Taboulleh (sp?) with Chicken, and her Banana Sour
>> Cream Pancakes in the last 10 days or so. All excellent.

> We have had the Mustard Roasted Red Snapper, Dill fingerling potatoes,
> the Easy Cheese Danish, Banana Crunch muffins, (didn't care for her
> version), Tarragon Chicken salad, you get the idea!

Oh, gee, some of those sound VERY good. I'm gonna have to hunt
for those recipes online.

--
Jean B.

Kris[_1_] 04-04-2009 01:03 AM

On Apr 3, 6:20*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Mr. Bill wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 14:10:46 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> > wrote:

> >> I've been in a Barefoot Contessa mode lately, actually. *Made her
> >> Parmesan Chicken, Taboulleh (sp?) with Chicken, and her Banana Sour
> >> Cream Pancakes in the last 10 days or so. All excellent.

> > We have had the Mustard Roasted Red Snapper, Dill fingerling potatoes,
> > the Easy Cheese Danish, Banana Crunch muffins, (didn't care for her
> > version), * Tarragon Chicken salad, you get the idea!

> Oh, gee, some of those sound VERY good. *I'm gonna have to hunt
> for those recipes online.
>
> --
> Jean B.

I've gone through all of her cookbooks. Everyone has winners in it.

Many of them (well, at least from the most recent cookbooks) made it
onto her show. Check Food Network's site, they should have a bunch.

Happy cooking,
Kris

Jean B.[_1_] 04-04-2009 01:33 AM

Kris wrote:
> On Apr 3, 6:20 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Mr. Bill wrote:
>>> We have had the Mustard Roasted Red Snapper, Dill fingerling potatoes,
>>> the Easy Cheese Danish, Banana Crunch muffins, (didn't care for her
>>> version), Tarragon Chicken salad, you get the idea!

>> Oh, gee, some of those sound VERY good. I'm gonna have to hunt
>> for those recipes online.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I've gone through all of her cookbooks. Everyone has winners in it.
>
> Many of them (well, at least from the most recent cookbooks) made it
> onto her show. Check Food Network's site, they should have a bunch.
>
> Happy cooking,
> Kris

That's why I said I'd check--before I bug folks here for the
recipes. :-)

--
Jean B.

Kris[_1_] 04-04-2009 01:52 AM

On Apr 3, 8:33*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Kris wrote:
> >> Oh, gee, some of those sound VERY good. *I'm gonna have to hunt
> >> for those recipes online.

> >> --
> >> Jean B.

> > I've gone through all of her cookbooks. Everyone has winners in it.

> > Many of them (well, at least from the most recent cookbooks) made it
> > onto her show. Check Food Network's site, they should have a bunch.

> > Happy cooking,
> > Kris

> That's why I said I'd check--before I bug folks here for the
> recipes. *:-)
>
> --
> Jean B.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, and barefootcontessa.com has a few from each of her cookbooks too,
FYI.

Kris

Jean B.[_1_] 04-04-2009 01:42 PM

Kris wrote:
> On Apr 3, 8:33 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Kris wrote:
>>> I've gone through all of her cookbooks. Everyone has winners in it.
>>> Many of them (well, at least from the most recent cookbooks) made it
>>> onto her show. Check Food Network's site, they should have a bunch.
>>> Happy cooking,
>>> Kris

>> That's why I said I'd check--before I bug folks here for the
>> recipes. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.- Hide quoted text -

> Oh, and barefootcontessa.com has a few from each of her cookbooks too,
> FYI.
>
> Kris

Thanks, Kris.

--
Jean B.

Kris[_1_] 04-04-2009 06:03 PM

On Apr 3, 2:33*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> >> What made it so harmful and a banned substance? * *All I have ever
> >> learned is that it made you crazy. * *Most liquor does that to lots of
> >> people!!

> > I've tried it recently and found it's got quite a kick -- more so than
> > any other liquors of comparable alcohol content -- even when mixed
> > with water and a cube of sugar (the traditional way to drink it). *The
> > buzz it produces is different (hard to describe) from the buzz of
> > other drinks. *It may be that Thujone combines with the regular
> > alcohol to create some synergistic effects.

> > But it tastes like licorice (a flavor I detest) so I'm in no danger of
> > becoming addicted to it.

> I don't find the anise taste overpowering, and I don't mind a drink or
> two of absinthe or pastis once in a while. I usually find that it numbs
> my taste buds.
>
> I confess to previously being naive about the potency of Pernod. I had a
> bottle that I had been been using in small amounts to flambe shrimp.
> One hot summer I decided to try it as a drink. It went down well. I had
> another and another, and maybe a few more. I should have known that
> anything that could be used for a flambe would be potent. It snuck up on
> me with a powerful kick.- Hide quoted text -

OK, FWIW, I took my morter & pestle and crushed up some anise seed and
added it to some Stoli vodka to steep until Monday when I'll need the
"pernod". We'll see what happens.

I did call our best gourmet shop in town and they didn't have small
bottled of pernod OR ouzo, so I was resigned to doing this instead.

Fingers crossed,
Kris

Mr. Bill[_2_] 04-04-2009 06:37 PM

What's a substitute for Pernod?

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 10:03:15 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>OK, FWIW, I took my morter & pestle and crushed up some anise seed and
>added it to some Stoli vodka to steep until Monday when I'll need the
>"pernod". We'll see what happens.
>
>I did call our best gourmet shop in town and they didn't have small
>bottled of pernod OR ouzo, so I was resigned to doing this instead.

Kris.....this recipe was a five star!! If you have time, read the
reviews....gives you some insight and quite a few people just didn't
add the Pernod!! Everyone raves about this dish.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ews/index.html

I am going to have to look into this recipe as soon as I can get some
scallops...and probably won't bother with the Pernod either.

Tell us how it all worked out....can't wait to hear your review.

Kris[_1_] 04-04-2009 08:27 PM

On Apr 4, 1:37*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 10:03:15 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> >OK, FWIW, I took my morter & pestle and crushed up some anise seed and
> >added it to some Stoli vodka to steep until Monday when I'll need the
> >"pernod". *We'll see what happens.

> >I did call our best gourmet shop in town and they didn't have small
> >bottled of pernod OR ouzo, so I was resigned to doing this instead.

> Kris.....this recipe was a five star!! * *If you have time, read the
> reviews....gives you some insight and quite a few people just didn't
> add the Pernod!! * Everyone raves about this dish. *
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...op-gratin-reci...
>
> I am going to have to look into this recipe as soon as I can get some
> scallops...and probably won't bother with the Pernod either. *
>
> Tell us how it all worked out....can't wait to hear your review. *

Will do! ;)

Janet Wilder[_1_] 05-04-2009 01:58 AM

Dave Smith wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>

>>> It was not a mock absinthe. Pernod was the most popular brand of
>>> that type of liquor. It had a high alcohol content and had the added
>>> kick of the wormwood. When absinthe was banned it re-emerged as
>>> pastis. a lower alcohol spirit but without the wormwood. It is very
>>> popular all around the Mediterranean and especially in France.
>>>

>> I had Pastis in Paris last Fall. It was wonderful. I have scoured the
>> local liquor stores and no one seems to have it. I looked on the
>> cruise ship in February but they didn't have it either. It seems to
>> be a novelty liquor here. I guess I can live without it. <g>
>>

> You can get it in any liquor store around here. I always have some on
> hand. A little pastis is a nice touch to flambee shrimp. It is also a
> nice drink on a hot summer day, but be careful. That stuff is potent.

Don't I know it! ;-)

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas