Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Default Dinner Tonight - 3/21

Last week I had roasted a small turkey and have gotten pretty good
mileage out of it. What was left was an incredible stock, one drumstick
and a thighbone, so I have those simmering now. Added some chopped
fire-roasted tomatoes (about 3/4 c.), 1 can of white beans and 1 can of
garbanzos (liquid drained away). Something still seemed a bit lacking.
Even though the stock was spicy from crushed red pepper, I felt it
needed more heat so I added a can of the Ortega chopped jalapenos -- hot
blend. Now it's getting better, but it still needed one more thing ...
so I added some chopped chard that I had to use soon and a little
chopped uncooked bacon for a slightly smoky flavor. Now we're cookin'!

I went to the farmers market today and picked up a loaf of Jalapeno and
Jack Cheese Bread (amazing stuff!) to have with dinner tonight.

It turned a bit cold and damp on us today so this will be perfect.

Also at the market I purchased some rye berries. I've never cooked with
or used rye berries and the vendor said they can be soaked and cooked
similar to wheat berries and served as a side dish. I purchased them for
the novelty and I know Bob will be trying to figure out what to do with
them. Does anyone have favorite uses for rye berries?

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shrimp in a sweet-hot sauce over rice and mai fun sticks -- steamed
asparagus with avocado dressing ( cleaning out the fridge) -- dessert
was a brownie pudding cake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:47:15 -0700, Lin >
wrote:

>Last week I had roasted a small turkey and have gotten pretty good
>mileage out of it. What was left was an incredible stock, one drumstick
>and a thighbone, so I have those simmering now. Added some chopped

Your dinner sounds good! We had a 30-minute meal tonight because I got
back from the store after six... Parmesan chicken breasts, country
blend frozen vegetables (corn, green beans, carrot slices) with fresh
lime juice, and Yukon gold instant potatoes. I don't usually use the
instant stuff but I didn't have time to make the real thing and I
wanted to try them. They turned out much nicer than the other flavours
we've tried so I wouldn't mind having them again some time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:

> Last week I had roasted a small turkey and have gotten pretty good mileage
> out of it. What was left was an incredible stock, one drumstick and a
> thighbone, so I have those simmering now. Added some chopped fire-roasted
> tomatoes (about 3/4 c.), 1 can of white beans and 1 can of garbanzos
> (liquid drained away). Something still seemed a bit lacking. Even though
> the stock was spicy from crushed red pepper, I felt it needed more heat so
> I added a can of the Ortega chopped jalapenos -- hot blend. Now it's
> getting better, but it still needed one more thing ... so I added some
> chopped chard that I had to use soon and a little chopped uncooked bacon
> for a slightly smoky flavor. Now we're cookin'!
>
> I went to the farmers market today and picked up a loaf of Jalapeno and
> Jack Cheese Bread (amazing stuff!) to have with dinner tonight.
>
> It turned a bit cold and damp on us today so this will be perfect.

Perfect it was. I think I'd classify it as an impromptu caldo. It was quite
hearty and full-flavored.

> Also at the market I purchased some rye berries. I've never cooked with or
> used rye berries and the vendor said they can be soaked and cooked similar
> to wheat berries and served as a side dish. I purchased them for the
> novelty and I know Bob will be trying to figure out what to do with them.
> Does anyone have favorite uses for rye berries?

She bought a *lot* of rye berries. I'd thought about soaking them and adding
them to bread dough, but if I only add half a cup of rye berries per batch
of dough, it'll take a year to use them up!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Perfect it was. I think I'd classify it as an impromptu caldo. It was quite
> hearty and full-flavored.

Ah, yes! Caldo Linda. ;-)

I knew there was something familiar about the concoction. Sort of
reminds me of the caldo we had Thomas Keller's "ad hoc".

Glad you enjoyed it, sweetheart!

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Smoked pork butt, pulled with home made barbecue sauce on whole wheat
hamburger buns, coleslaw, and baked beans. Sliced onion and dill pickle
chips on the side.

I used my new bullet smoker and I'm very, proud of the results.
--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Salmon fillet with balsamic, orange juice/honey reduction. Magic Pan
salad (lettuce, mandarin oranges, thinly sliced mushroom, green onions
toasted almonds with a tarragon sweet/sour dressing) and steamed
broccoli. Angel food cake topped with macerated strawberries and frozen
yogurt.
-Mickey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 22 Mar 2009 12:02:15a, Mickey Zalusky told us...

> Salmon fillet with balsamic, orange juice/honey reduction. Magic Pan
> salad (lettuce, mandarin oranges, thinly sliced mushroom, green onions
> toasted almonds with a tarragon sweet/sour dressing) and steamed
> broccoli. Angel food cake topped with macerated strawberries and frozen
> yogurt.
> -Mickey

Sounds delicious!

David's son was here to help with yard work, so we had a very casual meal.
I was puttering in the kitchen much of the day (I don't do yards), doing my
semi-annual complete scrub-out of the fridge. In between I made a macaroni
and vegetable salad, burger patties made from "meatloaf mix" of beef, pork,
and veal coated in one of my barbeque rub recipes and served on very fresh
bakery hamburger buns, Bush's Boston Style Baked Beans with the addition of
crisp-fried onion and crisp-fried bacon, and potato chips. I baked a batch
of gingersnaps that we had with French vanilla ice cream. We all ended up
fat, dumb, and happy. David and son also ended up with sunburns. :-)

Tomorrow night will be a slightly healthier meal of grilled tilapia, oven-
roasted cauliflower florets with garlidc and herbs, and a head lettuce
salad with chunky blue cheese dressing made with greek yogurt. We'll
probably finish off the gingersnaps for dessert.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mickey Zalusky > wrote:

> Salmon fillet with balsamic, orange juice/honey reduction. Magic Pan
> salad (lettuce, mandarin oranges, thinly sliced mushroom, green onions
> toasted almonds with a tarragon sweet/sour dressing) and steamed
> broccoli. Angel food cake topped with macerated strawberries and frozen
> yogurt.
> -Mickey

Very "zone diet". Sounds delicious!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 21:24:29 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Smoked pork butt, pulled with home made barbecue sauce on whole wheat
> hamburger buns, coleslaw, and baked beans. Sliced onion and dill pickle
> chips on the side.
>
> I used my new bullet smoker and I'm very, proud of the results.

yay, janet! i hope you have many happy meals together.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> Garden salad with blue cheese dressing. White bean (great northern) and
> kale soup; southern, skillet cornbread (no sugar). Shasta Diet Grapefruit
> soda.

Shasta makes a diet grapefruit soda? I'm on my way to the store.... :-P

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> l, not -l wrote:
>> Garden salad with blue cheese dressing. White bean (great northern) and
>> kale soup; southern, skillet cornbread (no sugar). Shasta Diet
>> Grapefruit
>> soda.
>>

> Shasta makes a diet grapefruit soda? I'm on my way to the store.... :-P
>

> Becca

What about Fresca?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 21:24:29 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> Smoked pork butt, pulled with home made barbecue sauce on whole wheat
>> hamburger buns, coleslaw, and baked beans. Sliced onion and dill pickle
>> chips on the side.
>>
>> I used my new bullet smoker and I'm very, proud of the results.

> yay, janet! i hope you have many happy meals together.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Thank you, Blake. I appreciate that.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> l, not -l wrote:
>> Garden salad with blue cheese dressing. White bean (great northern) and
>> kale soup; southern, skillet cornbread (no sugar). Shasta Diet
>> Grapefruit
>> soda.
>>

> Shasta makes a diet grapefruit soda? I'm on my way to the store.... :-P

It's yummy!
--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Becca" > wrote in message
>> l, not -l wrote:
>>> Garden salad with blue cheese dressing. White bean (great northern) and
>>> kale soup; southern, skillet cornbread (no sugar). Shasta Diet
>>> Grapefruit
>>> soda.
>>>

>> Shasta makes a diet grapefruit soda? I'm on my way to the store.... :-P
>>

>> Becca

> What about Fresca?

Not quite the same. The Shasta is more grapefruity.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Becca" > wrote in message
>
>> l, not -l wrote:
>>
>>> Garden salad with blue cheese dressing. White bean (great northern) and
>>> kale soup; southern, skillet cornbread (no sugar). Shasta Diet
>>> Grapefruit
>>> soda.
>>>

>> Shasta makes a diet grapefruit soda? I'm on my way to the store.... :-P
>>

>> Becca
>>

> What about Fresca?

Fresca, it has been a long time since I've had one, thanks for
mentioning it.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Shasta makes a diet grapefruit soda? I'm on my way to the store....
>>> :-P
>>>

>>> Becca
>>>

>> What about Fresca?

> Fresca, it has been a long time since I've had one, thanks for mentioning
> it.

Fresca makes flavors now, cherry fresca is good, so is peach fresca.
Fresca is one of my favorite Crystal Palace mixers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Fresca, it has been a long time since I've had one, thanks for
> mentioning it.

Our local HEB had a sale on 2 liter bottles of Coke products this week.
Buy 4 and with an in-store coupon get 1 free. We got 5 bottles of Diet
Coke and 5 bottles of Fresca. We've been enjoying the Fresca. DH had
some with a bit of gin and a slice of lime the other day at happy hour.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas